• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Compound Fracture, dino fps game with PS1 graphics

mcjmetroid

I'm gonna try to be nice here when I say this.

Do people actually have nostalgia for early 3D graphics?

I can understand 16bit. I think sprite animation can be beautiful.
but early PS1 graphics look ugly to me and ..shouldn't be something ever be recreated impurposely.

I grew up with the PS1 and I love the console to death but well...I don't get it.

I wish the indie developers all the best and I hope I'm proven wrong with fantastic sales.

Kimahri

Banned

but early PS1 graphics look ugly to me and ..shouldn't be something ever be recreated impurposely.

I grew up with the PS1 and I love the console to death but well...I don't get it.

I wish the indie developers all the best and I hope I'm proven wrong with fantastic sales.
Completely agree. Early PS1 games are the hardest to replay for me. They're just too ugly and it's not pleasing to look at at all.

If you're gonna do these types of graphics, at least pump it up somehow. Make the scale huge, add sophisticated lighting to make it pop, something. But just downright emulating those pixelmonsters will steer me away in a wide circle.

drotahorror

I mean, throwback FPS's are a pretty big deal the past couple of years. So I'd say yes.

Ryuji Goda

Hell yeah, I am playing through resident evil 1 (ps1) and love that stuff

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Yes I think some like myself do like ps1 style graphics but this game is not ps1 style graphics. You would need to mimic dithered shading, low color depth, and wobbly perspective projection.

UnNamed

Banned
Yes I think some like myself do like ps1 style graphics but this game is not ps1 style graphics. You would need to mimic dithered shading, low color depth, and wobbly perspective projection.
Dithering is present, as the low color depth, wobbling textures are missing, something similar but not the same effect. In terms of polygons is pretty accurate, except for the open scenery, too many polygons there, it needs more fog there. Texture resolution is a little bit high but not impossible for a PSX.
Perpixel lighting is too accurate, is a no.

K1Expwy

I admit that I like the unfiltered grit of 5th gen 3d. Most actual PS1/Saturn 3d games look terrible because the poly budgets are strained, but I'd like to see more 5th gen-styled retro 3d, with better modeling (just like the many 8-bit styled indie games that go way beyond the scope of 8-bit era hardware)

VN1X

Banned
I think I like the idea of this more than the its execution but on the ol' wishlist it goes! Might actually turn out to be decent and I've been loving this influx of new boomer shooters as of late.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Vine Ok GIF

rofif

Banned
This actually looks like ps1.
Other stuff usually goes too far and creates everything out of 3 polygons

LRKD

First good looking Dino game in soooo long. Hope it really is good, and isn't plagued with release issues.

LRKD

If you like this go play Turok 1 and 2 remastered (again)
I own every turok game except the Gameboy ones 😅

I love them to death, I had just replayed the Xbox One Turok remaster not too long ago, making sure to get all the achievements this time.
Maybe I'll play 3 again, I haven't completed 3 in years...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I kinda do to be honest. It's an aesthetic I dig, although I don't want anyone to try to replicate the z-fighting/flickering that was inherent to the PS1's 3D rendering.

They have nostalgia for early 3d graphics. But the nostalgia is for computer 3d accelerated graphics. Like Quake, Quake 2, Half Life. Those look very clean and awesome to this day. Unreal 1 is downright impressive looking, with its vast enviroments and detailed textures. Nobody is nostalgic for some console ps1 shit like this game here has where you can barelly make out what the fuck youre looking at. Why would anyone want shimmering image and such low detail visuals ? These devs are on crack

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It’s no surprise that dinosaurs are at the epicenter of so many works of fiction spanning different mediums. Video games in particular have made excellent use of this subject material, and fans have experienced great games featuring these ferocious creatures such as Turok and Dino Crisis among a slew of others.

But much like these creatures, prominent games featuring dinosaurs seems to have become a thing of the past in the current day and age. Sure, there have been some recent releases like Jurassic World Evolution, but they are so few and far between. Thankfully though, indie and AA developers are working hard to fulfill the needs and demands of fans with games based around this very concept - and one such upcoming game is Compound Fracture.

With its retro aesthetic and action-packed gameplay, Compound Fracture is looking to be a game that’s going to be worth looking out for. With that said, let’s dive deep into the world of this game and dissect its many aspects one by one.

Banned

if done well PS1 style 3D can look great.

Mega Man Legends and Legends 2 for example had an amazing artstyle, where they leaned into the low render and texture resolution capabilities of the PS1 and made all the textures look like legit pixel art and also made sure to use their polygon budget well to suit the hardware.

PS1 style 3D breaks down as soon as you had games trying to look too realistic or didn't counteract the issues of the PS1 hardware well enough

AREYOUOKAY?

if done well PS1 style 3D can look great.

Mega Man Legends and Legends 2 for example had an amazing artstyle, where they leaned into the low render and texture resolution capabilities of the PS1 and made all the textures look like legit pixel art and also made sure to use their polygon budget well to suit the hardware.

PS1 style 3D breaks down as soon as you had games trying to look too realistic or didn't counteract the issues of the PS1 hardware well enough
Also those games are also acceptable. In fact Chrono Cross could have looked something like this when it came to character designs if they attempted it.

I'd say it suits the "Dragon Ball" artstyle in early 3D more than say the Tobal games or that one DBZ game I dare not even mention...

Though I can understand why they went with a new direction since they wanted to lure people in with fancy prerendered graphics and FMV like most Square games at the time.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
This looks pretty cool, and actually has that PS1 look. Now I want a PS1-style jrpg with prerendered backgrounds, low poly character models, and a traversable world map.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
Also those games are also acceptable. In fact Chrono Cross could have looked something like this when it came to character designs if they attempted it.

I'd say it suits the "Dragon Ball" artstyle in early 3D more than say the Tobal games or that one DBZ game I dare not even mention...

Though I can understand why they went with a new direction since they wanted to lure people in with fancy prerendered graphics and FMV like most Square games at the time.

Wow, I didn't know this existed, looks crazy good

Top Bottom