• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 runs at 30 fps with dynamic resolution on both Xbox Series S and Series X according to GamePro (there are no graphics modes)

Stuart360

no, where did I say that? dynamic res can mean anything. it may be targeting 4k and bottoming at 1200p while targeting 30 FPS. So if you drop below 1200p, there's potential you will get higher FPS. that is what I'm trying to explain

practically, a 720-800p 60 fps mode is possible. the game is not going to hit 720p-800p while targeting 30 FPS. if it does, well, that would be unheard of and series s would require 200-300p to hit 30 fps which is unlikely

lets keep things simple: if they punch in exact resolution, dynamic res parameters and settings of Series S to X, they should get 60 FPS if not CPU bound. and I'm sure this game is not CPU bound.

if this ue5 game with lumen and nanite can hit 60 fps in any capacity, I don't buy into hellblade 2 being cpu bound :)

Immortals looks way behind Hellblade man, i have played it on PC and was shocked how it looked (and performed).
And all games are different. Hellblade could be cpu bound. If not then i dont see why XSX would need dynamic rez when it has a 30fps target.
In fact the fact thta it does shows that even if it could hit 60fps on XSX, the settings and resolution may have to be reduced so much that yes its just the XSS version, or worse. MS would get just as much shit for say 720p/60 by the usual suspects, so.

This is NOT the first 30fps game this gen, and it certainly wont be the last as this gen goes on. Atleaat with this game you can see the quailty on screen.

Gojiira

DD2 is cross gen so 30fps is allowed😉
Except everybody was trashing it so it wasnt allowed plus its not Cross Gen at all, its Multiplatform but its next gen only…The copium is the fact that in Hellblade 2’s case its fine because….Why exactly? Muh cinematic experience? Muh graphics? Two things that really dont matter when the gameplay is dogshit.

Stuart360

Do you know what the DRS window is? Do you know the additional/increased graphical presets on Series X?

It is very possible, likely even, that HB2 would need to be degraded past the point of recognition for Series S to have a 60fps mode so the developer just went with 30fps. For this reason, Microsoft can enforce parity which effectively means Series S holding Series X back.
Yes a machine that needs dynamic rez to hit its 30fps target is being held back by the XSS.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Lots of games don't have a performance mode on Series S, but have one on Series X.

Yes, from 3rd party which is what I said before. But how many of such games are from 1st party?

I would bet everything this game is GPU and/or memory bound and the only reason SX doesn't have a 60fps mode is because of Microsoft mandate. If this was a 3rd party developer, we'd be seeing a 60fps mode on Series X.

If you believe that UE5 is not being a limitation or a burden here, it is simply because you are completely unaware of the reality of the developments in UE5.

You have a lot of Studios stating their difficulties in moving their projects from UE4 to UE5. To the point that many gave up the attempt.
Only now are games being released on UE5 and the vast majority lack a lot of its features because even today most are not adequately optimized to work on a console.

Who are these studios, what consoles are they developing for, what level of UE4/UE5 experience do their teams have and what do their resources look like? Also what types of games are they trying to make?

If parts of UE5 were rewritten to accommodate PS5's I/O subsystem, and it took a couple more years for the engine to fully release, I would assume other parts were also designed to accommodate for the current-gen consoles. But the other plain truth of the matter is we haven't seen Naughty Dog or Insomniac-level devs make an UE5 game yet. The closest is Epic themselves with the Fortnite update, and that both looks quite good and runs great.

Of course it's not a very realistic-looking game either, so that helps. Remedy might be another one; at least on the creative or storytelling side of things they're up there with those types of devs like SSM or Sucker Punch etc. But they don't have the history of technical polish and optimization with their games the way the Sony studios do.

And I'd put Ninja Theory as a lower-ranked version of Remedy, basically.

Then, of course it is not your problem that NT only has 1/2 or 1/4 as many developers as the Studios you mentioned..... but it is not taking into account that very important situation when evaluating the capabilities of a Studio to offer a greater number of playable options.

Not every Studio has the same priorities and neither do they work under the same premises. NT would have preferred to work based on its possibilities and perhaps a 60fps mode was second priority or they simply did not have something prepared that meets a standard or is decent for launch day.

Of course, you can't blame the Studios for the stupid words of the PR clown on duty promising impossible things.

Hell, I played 16, Rebirth, AW2 all in their respective 30 FPS modes. Their 60 FPS modes were all afterthought with various issues that made it feel like a compromised experience.

Those modes might've felt wrong for you, but others did use them. The point is, gamers at least had the option for those higher-framerate modes in those games. Ninja Theory, whether their own choice or Microsoft's, aren't giving Xbox owners (particularly Series X) that same option.

The option itself should be standardized. It is not.

This would certainly be a relevant quote if Hellblade 2 was running at 60fps on PS5.

Let's wait a few months 😏

Because the whole point of dynamic rez is so in demanding parts the rez lowers so said machine can keep up. meaning the XSX is struggling at times with this game.
That doesnt sound like a game that could easily run at 60fps on XSX but MS decided to lock it to 30fps for parity with XSS does it.

Not the only reason some use dynamic resolution. Another reason could simply be the game code is unoptimized 🤷‍♂️

I mean really think about it: do you honestly feel Series X is being "pushed to its limits" by a super-linear higher-budget AA game with simple 1v1 fights? It's like saying Tekken 4 was pushing the PS2 in an era where Vice City existed.

I guess if HB2's visuals were miles ahead of anything on the market that could at least justify sentiment it's pushing Series X. But, even though I think the game looks very good, it doesn't look any better than some of the best-looking games already out IMHO. Not on a technical basis anyway (just because it's using UE5 doesn't mean it suddenly leapfrogs other games).

Ev1L AuRoN

I can see why, Unreal 5 is not that performant on the current consoles, specially on the CPU side. The game seems to be pushing the series X pretty hard, I'm ok with 30fps in that case, it's a shame that a performance mode with lower settings are not possible in that game, perhaps a 40fps mode in the future? I'm looking forward to that game. I'll try it on my PC, but I don't believe my old 2060 will do the game justice, I'll double-dip when it gets a PS5 release.

dem

I'm still out here waiting for a 60fps Starfield patch to drop...

New-Project-58.jpg

They can't really expect me to play that shit at 30fps

Stuart360

I'm still out here waiting for a 60fps Starfield patch to drop...

New-Project-58.jpg

They can't really expect me to play that shit at 30fps
I think you will be waiting a while. Starfield is def one of the hardest PC games to run i have tried. Horizon FW looks way better graphiclally, and is open world too, and runs like a dream, while i had to lock Starfield to 30fps (i hate flucturating framerates).
I dont think even 600p would allow XSX to run Starfield at 60fps. The game is just way too cpu intensive.

Yeah this is rubbish. We’ve had games with different framerate and visual modes on XSS and XSX for quite a while now. AC Valhalla launched with 30fps only on Series S back in 2020. Calisto Protocol and Evil West run only at 30fps on XsS, back in 2022.

The mandate was for parity of features. They only relaxed it for BG3 recently.

Not the first time you’ve gotten shit completely wrong.

Thanks for pointing out that I was wrong about the parity clause for Framerates.

So the only logical answer is developer incompetence or laziness

Rockman33

Try again

Xbox Series S Spec Sheet

PS5 Spec sheet

IT'S NOT THE SAME THING
You Sony fan boys are out of your damn mind. lol. If you think putting 8k on your box doesn’t lead average people to believe the console can play 8k games you really are drinking the koolaid.

Side note: the fact you used a series X spec sheet and said it was series S is ridiculous. As well as all you people that liked it.

Last edited:
You Sony fan boys are out of your damn mind. lol. If you think putting 8k on your box doesn’t lead average people to believe the console can play 8k games you really are drinking the koolaid.

Side note: the fact you used a series X spec sheet and said it was series S is ridiculous. As well as all you people that liked it.

So now my typo changes the content of the spec sheet?

LOL

MS promised 4K/60 fps as the performance RENDERING target on Series X (and also 1440p/60 fps on Series S for that matter), Sony never did....

Take the L and move on

I have corrected the typo so you should be happy now

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

LOL

MS promised 4K/60 fps as the performance RENDERING target on Series X (and also 1440p/60 on Series S for that matter) Sony never did....

Take the L and move on

Do you know what the word 'target' means?

Do you see how both Sony and MS use different terminologies to save their asses from potential lawsuits by using words like 'target' or 'up-to' ?

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Thanks for pointing out that I was wrong about the parity clause for Framerates.

So the only logical answer is developer incompetence or laziness

No. The logical answer is that the game is that demanding.

There’s certainly a reason why you’re not in the Dragon Dogma 2 thread accusing Capcom of incompetence and laziness.

Ninja Theory took a very modest AA budget and made the original Hellblade with AAA level of polish and visuals. Imagine whining about them being ‘incompetent’.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
These devs need to realize that 30 fps just isn't going to fly in 2024. I now have zero interest in this game.

Last edited:

There’s certainly a reason why you’re not in the Dragon Dogma 2 thread accusing Capcom of incompetence and laziness.

Ninja Theory took a very modest AA budget and made the original Hellblade with AAA level of polish and visuals. Imagine whining about them being ‘incompetent’.

I called out the dragons dogma devs before for poor optimization, so no idea what you’re talking about or trying to suggest.

The game is so demanding it can run on a 4TF console … yeah that argument that a 60 fps for a highly linear and basic game is straight up bullshit

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

XSX 'exclusives' have to also run on hardware setups weaker than the xss.

In the case of HB2 I dunno the minimum requirements so can't say if it's holding back XSX.

If the game is so demanding maybe they should stop selling Series X as a True 4K/60 machine. Because it's going to happen again and again

OOPS 8K is there too

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
If the game is so demanding maybe they should stop selling Series X as a True 4K/60 machine. Because it's going to happen again and again

What part of that image promises 4K/60fps in every title?

Because it's going to happen again and again

What does ‘going to happen again and again even mean? Launch third party titles weren’t hitting native 4K 60fps on either console.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
LOL

At least FIRST PARTY TITLES, I would guess

You know, the ones MS OWNS and PUBLISHES
It just means its capable of it. Like how a TV can be 4K capable but you can watch DVDs on it if you want. Gears 2 is 4K/60; its a 360 game. No demanding games are going to be 4K/60. Everyone knows this. Even people who just shop for TVs can figure this out.

Ozriel

M$FT
Ya know, the same things that would allow for 60fps on XSX

A Plague’s Tale, Gotham knights, Dragon’s Dogma 2 and Matrix Awakens run on Series S, so therefore it means the PS5 has to run it at 60 fps, by your logic.

GTA 6 is going to run on 4TF Series S, and yet a significant portion of this forum are looking to the PS5 Pro for 60fps on console.

If the game is CPU bound, just dropping resolution might not be enough to solve the problems. And certainly from NXGamer and DF’s analysis of the Matrix Awakens UE5 demo, the engine with all bells and whistles enabled can be heavy on the CPU.

Hellblade 2 isn't doing even half the things Dragon's Dogma is doing in terms of game mechanics, systems, AI logic, physics etc.

Is it really that hard to blame the Series S and (probably) "the tools" again as the main culprits for the performance limitations on X? Or do you really think a super-linear 1v1 cinematic game is pushing the X to its absolute limits?

Also for the "why is it dynamic res on Series X then" stuff others are saying, it's way easier to cap the resolution on the S and then let the X upscale with dynamic res while locking the framerate to 30 on both platforms. Almost as if the Series S is probably the culprit here 🤔

Ozriel

M$FT
LOL

At least FIRST PARTY TITLES, I would guess

You know, the ones MS OWNS and PUBLISHES

Why would it have to be first party titles in this scenario? Customers play third and first party games. It makes no sense to distill them as a separate thing.

You can’t insist the console was advertised as a mandatory 4k 60fps experience to customers, then claim it applies just to first party games.

But hey keep believing their bullshit, it's not my problem

I certainly don’t believe I’ll have a problem with Hellblade 2.

A Plague’s Tale, Gotham knights, Dragon’s Dogma 2 and Matrix Awakens run on Series S, so therefore it means the PS5 has to run it at 60 fps, by your logic.

GTA 6 is going to run on 4TF Series S, and yet a significant portion of this forum are looking to the PS5 Pro for 60fps on console.

If the game is CPU bound, just dropping resolution might not be enough to solve the problems. And certainly from NXGamer and DF’s analysis of the Matrix Awakens UE5 demo, the engine with all bells and whistles enabled can be heavy on the CPU.

GTA6 doesn’t have an announced mode. I suspect there will be a 60fps mode in base consoles, just like there is for the vast majority of games

The titles you mentioned are anomalies, not the standard, but it is concerning that Microsoft seems to be leading the charge with 30fps titles as an acceptable norm

Hellblade 2 is the furthest thing ever from being a CPU bound title

Last edited:

Rockman33

You’ve been drinking the same koolaid.

TSLI9xY.jpg
I’m fully aware Xbox did the same shit. It’s incredibly misleading as I stated multiple times now.

People come in to bash Xbox all the time for the same shit Sony does. But for some reason it’s as if people are getting paid to only call out one side of the same coin.

And also doesn’t this image support the exact same argument you were trying to use. It says gaming is 4K up to 120. And it says supports 8k HDR. lol

Rockman33

LOL

MS promised 4K/60 fps as the performance RENDERING target on Series X (and also 1440p/60 fps on Series S for that matter), Sony never did....

Take the L and move on

Promised? They both say UP TO hot shot. You’re a Sony shill through and through. I own both consoles and a PC and play were the games are without bias.

Maybe it’s time for you to take the L and bring more negativity to the gaming community in another thread.

I’m fully aware Xbox did the same shit. It’s incredibly misleading as I stated multiple times now.

People come in to bash Xbox all the time for the same shit Sony does. But for some reason it’s as if people are getting paid to only call out one side of the same coin.

And also doesn’t this image support the exact same argument you were trying to use. It says gaming is 4K up to 120. And it says supports 8k HDR. lol

Sony Too™

Three

Alex Buggaga when he was bad mouthing the PS5 and championing the Xbox Series:

Go to 40:47 if the timestamp doesn't work.
I wonder what he thinks of the actual reality where every Sony first party game released with a 60fps mode and a lot of first party xbox games have ended up with 30fps only.

I wonder what he thinks of the actual reality where every Sony first party game released with a 60fps mode and a lot of first party xbox games have ended up with 30fps only.

This is absolutely hilarious:

The opposite actually happened

LOL

ChiefDada

Gold Member

What a fucking embarrassment. For anyone who thinks we unfairly criticize DF, here is evidence #3743774369052 of their bias.

Top Bottom