• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hellblade 2 runs at 30 fps with dynamic resolution on both Xbox Series S and Series X according to GamePro (there are no graphics modes)

No....what was "dumb" was advertising in multiple official spaces that 60 fps would be "standard" for Xbox and then releasing first party games that don't meet that standard. Yes, people should absolutely hold corporate executives accountable to their claims. Last time I checked, console generations do not last "four years" so that "zinger" is perfectly valid to bring up as is the blog post that made the same claim.

The "4 years ago" excuse is really something

This is Xbox Series X official webpage TODAY, not 4 years ago

"TRUE 4K GAMING, UP TO 120 fps"

LOL

Last edited:

yamaci17

Everything shown looks GPU heavy to me. Obviously Ninja Theory has a hell of a lot of wiggle room between the XSX and XSS GPUs so even if 60fps were not achievable on XSX (doubtful) then at least a 40fps mode with VRR/LFC to smooth things out? Wouldn't that be a better alternative than strict 30fps?
that is true but it really looks like xbox studios dont give a damn about 40 fps (similarly to sony which does not give a damn to system level LFC or freesync support for masses).

starfield could've gotten a 40 fps mode. it will lock to 40 fps %99 of the time. it would've been enormous quality of life improvement for people with 120 hz screens (and a lot of people I know have 120 hz TVs to go along with their series x. even most series s users tend to buy new 120 hz 1080p/1440p screens). forza motorsport could've gotten a cool 40 fps mode. i guess they dont care

Bojji

that is true but it really looks like xbox studios dont give a damn about 40 fps (similarly to sony which does not give a damn to system level LFC or freesync support for masses).

starfield could've gotten a 40 fps mode. it will lock to 40 fps %99 of the time. it would've been enormous quality of life improvement for people with 120 hz screens (and a lot of people I know have 120 hz TVs to go along with their series x. even most series s users tend to buy new 120 hz 1080p/1440p screens). forza motorsport could've gotten a cool 40 fps mode. i guess they dont care

I think only game with 40FPS mode is Plague Tale, third party title...

Topher

Gold Member
The shameless shilling they were doing back then is crazy !!
8GwvWDy.jpg

Are you shocked yet ?

Fast forward to yesterday.....

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
No....what was "dumb" was advertising in multiple official spaces that 60 fps would be "standard" for Xbox and then releasing first party games that don't meet that standard. Yes, people should absolutely hold corporate executives accountable to their claims. Last time I checked, console generations do not last "four years" so that "zinger" is perfectly valid to bring up as is the blog post that made the same claim.
Ok, but 60 fps has been the standard for most of this gen, with some exceptions. And many games have 120 fps support as well, the architecture allows it just like the tweet said.

I don't even know what the original tweet that response was for, since it has long been deleted.

Go play Dragons Dogma instead of replying to day-old posts Topher :p
Post was likely deleted because he was made to take it down as he got into hot water more than once by saying things not approved by the upper brass at Xbox

"We needed to reign him in" is the quote used

S0ULZB0URNE

Hmm, a couple of reasons.

- Better controller layout, for me
- Quick Resume
- Game Pass w/ everything 1st party on it day 1
- Better versions of multi-plat games more often than not
- Backwards compatibility with basically all Xboxes and their relevant titles
- Generous as fuck Rewards stuff that gets me tons of free stuff
- Better VRR integration, it makes a genuine difference in games (Dragon's Dogma 2 for example)
- Phil's smooth balls
It's your right to like whatever you like m8.

Edit: I strongly suggest trying the Xbox experience on a high end PC gaming rig(if the funds are right)

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Might as well go with ‘20 years in the making’ since we’re making things up 🤡

You must really hate Rockstar Games, then
Yes, but for different reasons since their games have dialogue to hear for 10 years. Hellblade 2 will probably be a six hour game, which would be fine if they could finish in three years or so. It's not vaporware, but won't achieve the greatness that would be if was released [way] before

Mortisfacio

LOL

This whole gen is hilarious, honestly. PS5 announced 4k and "Experience Crisp 4k Graphics!" but the reality was games like Jedi Survivor hit lows of 648p. Taking it way back 20 years to sub-HD.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
This whole gen is hilarious, honestly. PS5 announced 4k and "Experience Crisp 4k Graphics!" but the reality was games like Jedi Survivor hit lows of 648p. Taking it way back 20 years to sub-HD.

RT was a mistake for consoles. Don't know why they even bothered, much less having to patch a game to make it optional.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

LOL

My guy, you seem to have gotten stuckin a loop or something :messenger_tears_of_joy: PS's website also uses the same "up to 120 fps" blurb.

WGgX8WZ.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
is the future.

is like saying 3D was a mistake for consoles back in the day.

you know, sweet baby steps.

Ah...yes, I agree. Let me clarify what I meant. I think RT is a mistake for these current consoles. I think those first "baby steps" should be take with midgen refresh. Current consoles can't cut it.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Ah...yes, I agree. Let me clarify what I meant. I think RT is a mistake for these current consoles. I think those first "baby steps" should be take with midgen refresh. Current consoles can't cut it.
I dunno, there are some pretty solid RT implementations in games such as Rift Apart and Spider-Man. They're only reflections but it's way better than the usual SSR trash.

If picked and implemented carefully, ray tracing can add nicely to the visuals of console games. Hell, I'd argue the RTGI in Dragon's Dogma II is pretty good overall but the performance is trash, and that's even without it.

Topher

Gold Member
I dunno, there are some pretty solid RT implementations in games such as Rift Apart and Spider-Man. They're only reflections but it's way better than the usual SSR trash.

If picked and implemented carefully, ray tracing can add nicely to the visuals of console games. Hell, I'd argue the RTGI in Dragon's Dogma II is pretty good overall but the performance is trash, and that's even without it.

Good points

DavidGzz

I am playing it on PC, but I disagree because the 5-10 fps gain is nothing compared to how much better DD2 looks with raytracing on. But for sure, it should be an option that you can turn off for people who don't care about it.

As far as the thread title. I'm glad the devs aren't compromising on the visuals to get this to run at 60 on these weak consoles. Push my PC to its limits instead. Fuck yeah. All the warriors in here arguing are humorous. Kids lol

Last edited:

Longcat

Wtf is going on this week lmao? It's like we went back in time 10-15 years. The "cinematic 30fps" meme is back. "Sexy video game woman = violence" as well. And consoles are apparently done again.

Fredrik

As far as the thread title. I'm glad the devs aren't compromising on the visuals to get this to run at 60 on these weak consoles. Push my PC to its limits instead. Fuck yeah.
Exactly! If they would’ve targetted 60fps on console it would’ve been a higher res and sharper shadows PC release. Nice, but still, Yawn!

As it is, this could be awesome. First real high budget AAA first party UE5 release, it’s going to be wild! Looks amazing imo. I just hope it can hold 60fps on a 4080 Super, otherwise I have to play it on the desktop 4090 PC and I think this one would play better in the couch.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Ah...yes, I agree. Let me clarify what I meant. I think RT is a mistake for these current consoles.

If current gen consoles didn't have RT hardware then next gen's cross-gen period would have proven even more brutal. Imagine having console hardware with 4090-like RT capabilities and needing to settle for baked lighting for most games released circa 2028-2030.

Current consoles can't cut it.

Avatar and Metro Exodus are the 2 games with RT at the fundamental level where developers were able to push 60fps. It only gets better from here. Even DD2 with all it's problems, is a step in the right direction. I'm glad the developers made the choice to push RTGI. The RT vs non-RT comparison shots speak for themselves.

I think those first "baby steps" should be take with midgen refresh.

PS5 Pro is going to deliver the goods.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The price you pay for those graphics "wow"moments the other threads are looking for missing from this gen. Well at least we hope so.

Three

My guy, you seem to have gotten stuckin a loop or something :messenger_tears_of_joy: PS's website also uses the same "up to 120 fps" blurb.

WGgX8WZ.jpg
What's this sonytoo strawman even about? The guy questioned your idea that it was "4 years ago" . He didn't say PS dont have "up to 120fps for compatible games" on their site.

Last edited:

adamsapple

What's this sonytoo strawman even about? The guy questioned your idea that it was "4 years ago" . He didn't say PS dont have "up to 120fps for compatible games" on their site.

Strawman? It's not a starwman, he's singling it out for one platform as a negative that's still on their website, while ignoring that the other major one uses the exact same verbiage.

Earlier he was trying to pass off a Series X spec sheet as Series S.

74ce76c6-3735-4b3a-a73c-0dff91243bd8_text.gif

Last edited:

Three

Strawman? It's not a starwman, he's singling it out for one platform while ignoring that the other major one uses the exact same verbiage.

Earlier he was trying to pass off a Series X spec sheet as Series S.

74ce76c6-3735-4b3a-a73c-0dff91243bd8_text.gif
We're in a thread about yet another MS game running at 30fps only and having no 60fps performance mode, after advertising 60fps as the standard this gen in official spaces.

Nobody is singling them out. It's about them failing miserably at even reaching half of what they pushed in marketing. Trying to SonyToo the thread when they said "120fps for compatible games" is a strawman. They haven't done a 30fps only PS5 release at all so trying to kick up some outrage advertising high framerates and not delivering wouldn’t have the same effect.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Nobody is singling them out.

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

Metro Exodus is the gold-standard and the biggest stand-out for RTGI at 60 FPS this gen, imo.

Those Euro block devs can pull off some insane things at times.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

It's clear they mean TRUE as in NATIVE 4K (3840x2160)
Which in trith, is actually UHD. True 4K is 4096 x 2160. But yh, everyone uses 4K instead os saying UHD.

WGgX8WZ.jpg
Well, technically, anyone saying 4K gaming and/or up to 120fps... is not lying. Be that coming from Xbox or Sony. They didn't at any point say, every game will have 4K or every game will have up to 120fps (which is not even saying it will get to 120fps) mode.

Hell, even in the sony thingy you posted, all its saying is that you can play your PS5 on your 4K tv.

Where I have a problem is when someone is saying "true 4K". What all they really ever can guarantee is just 4K TV support, as very few games even run at true 4K.

Ah well, anyone that bought into the stuff sonmyt or MS says with regards to performance at the start of a gen... well the jokes on them.

adamsapple

Well, technically, anyone saying 4K gaming and/or up to 120fps... is not lying. Be that coming from Xbox or Sony. They didn't at any point say, every game will have 4K or every game will have up to 120fps (which is not even saying it will get to 120fps) mode.

Tonight Show Comedian GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Things in PR and on the boxes talk about theoretical maximums, at no point will either Sony or MS (or Nintendo) be stupid enough to claim that every game released will guarantee those maximums. That kind of shit leads to class action lawsuits.

Last edited:

eNT1TY

The amount of canvasing of Hellblade/Xbox on social media lately is just embarrassing.
Almost as if they were bringing attention to an up and coming new anticipated game release in the very near future, who even does that?

It's going all in on graphics and story telling. With the photogrammetry, lighting, animation, audio, and attention to detail pushes the game to the technical limits. We still haven't heard if the game has raytracing or raytraced lighting or global illumination. Not always does a game require advanced AI or physics to be a truly desirable experience. I've played the original and it was great for what it was with a fairly deep and intimate connection with the protagonist. As of right now, I have no idea what Hellblade 2 has to offer to really defend it other than what I've seen, but the animation is top notch and is rarely paralleled by most other studios.

I'm not bringing up questions of HB2's scope to comment on its desirability, nor do I think those two things are interlinked. My reason for saying those things is because we have other games that have both gone "all in" on graphics & storytelling, and have grown their scope in other aspects while doing so.

Yeah, some of those games were made by much larger teams, and had somewhat longer dev cycles, but IMO given how Microsoft were using HB2 to market it as "their" equivalent of Sony's 1P AAA cinematic blockbusters (they kept showing it off in the same way Sony would do with say HFW or GOW Ragnarok), I was expecting the game to match those offerings in many areas, not just graphics and storytelling.

Get the feeling that many others were expecting similar. So, finding out the scope is no different from the 1st game, maybe even regressed in a couple of ways, despite having been shown off five years ago, hyped in some ways as doing things at a bigger scale than the 1st game, and backed by a $3 trillion company....that is somewhat of a letdown. I thought Hellblade 2 would be taking the IP into the pantheon of the big AAA cinematic blockbusters, I thought we'd see that type of growth.

That's not happening though, no matter how pretty the graphics may be. Because IMO while the graphics do look great, they're not far ahead of the biggest AAA cinematic games on the market to make up for the lack of growth in its scope with game design, mechanics, features etc. And I still doubt it's doing too much graphically to lock it at 30 FPS on the Series X; that sounds like a limitation imposed by the Series S (same with the choice to use dynamic resolution on Series X instead of a higher fixed resolution).

Sony does a great job with their exclusives, I love their games also and I would agree that overall their production value meets and exceeds that of Microsoft's exclusives by a long shot. However, it seems that many peoples hate here isn't specifically with the game but with Xbox in general and fail to give Microsoft credit where it's due. Hellblade 2 looks like the game where it my need to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Well, I'm giving them credit here for Hellblade 2. More specifically, Ninja Theory, but Ninja Theory are Microsoft now so it's much the same.

That said, I don't see how criticizing the lack of design growth for an IP that has the potential for it, especially given the context Microsoft leveraged it to show off their new consoles, is denying them credit for what HB2 looks to be doing right. I don't see how questioning the choice for 30 FPS on the Series X out of "artistic vision", while the PC version supports 60 FPS at launch (an obvious contradiction to the "artistic vision" statement), means denying credit for the things HB2 does well.

I'm just a bit confused as to some of the decisions with the game, and flustered that Ninja Theory seem to be rigidly locked in place in terms of no growth as a studio versus, say, Arrowhead, or Housemarque, Blue Point or Insomniac, etc. Studios that have all grown in their ambition and scope from game to game, while still retaining their studio identity.

Game runs on UE5, it's obviously using lumen and nanite so you can say that RT is used in some form (software or hardware variant).

If Forza Motorsport's shown anything, it's that a game doesn't suddenly look better than its competition simply because it uses RT.

No dig at Hellblade 2, as it looks like a much better game. But, worth considering.

And Rich really drank that TFLOPs kool-aid. That Crytek engineer several years ago straight-up said he didn't know any engineer who used TFLOPs as a definitive measurement for console's power and got shat on.

The guys at Microsoft really convinced Rich that compute is all that matters and now his brain cannot process how untrue that is.

Well, Rich used to run SEGA Saturn Magazine back in the day so he probably also bought into the "8 Processors > 2 Processors" or whatever marketing stuff SEGA used in the West for Saturn promotion, too.

Jez Corden is this generation's Patcher - if he puffs out his chest and makes a bold claim, you can bet your life savings on the exact opposite being true. His recent spellbinder was telling people back in January that MS first party games on PlayStation was 'Hopium'. It was less than a month before MS officially announced it. That's how desperately out of the loop he is.

Actually I don't think Jez is "out of the loop" at all. He, and some others like Colteastwood and Parris, as weird as it sounds, I think they have direct lines of communication with Xbox PR. Because, they basically ARE Xbox PR. But they're PR in an odd way, playing roles of Xbox diehards, hence you have them acting completely against those initial multiplat rumors, because they knew that's how the diehard community would feel.

The diehard community of Xbox expect to hear takes from people like Jez when big news starts coming out, but people like Jez aren't meant to officially reveal things until they get the OK from Microsoft. People who regularly land interviews with Phil Spencer and other bigwigs at Microsoft are probably in the loop to a good extent, they just also have to "play" the character of an Xbox console diehard publicly. That's why they all start confirming news at the exact same time.

It's also why I'm not as spiteful towards them as I might've been in the past, because now I know it's just performative. They're acting. You could also call it a grift but there are way worst things in this world to grift with than playground-level console warring, that's for sure.

There is no technical excuse for a game with linear non-interactive maps and limited gameplay to be capped at 30 fps. This joke is not even funny. There are many AAA much more demanding than this at 60 fps. Also, graphic modes today is becoming standard. This is another hard-to-explain miss. IMO these devs are just not skilled enough. That it took them 8 years to make this should give you a hint.

It's the generation of upscaling. Native is dead. I use DLSS for every game on PC.

Top Bottom