• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concerning ID3 tags/iTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Ok got my iPod today from freevideogames.com

Some/a lot of my mp3's apparently don't have ID3 tags. How can I create/fill them in?

Is it as simple as right clicking the song in iTunes, choosing Get Info, and filling in the Album, artist, and track info there? And then they will be put in the correct order?

BuddyC

DJ_Tet said:
Is it as simple as right clicking the song in iTunes, choosing Get Info, and filling in the Album, artist, and track info there? And then they will be put in the correct order?

Yes.

By holding down Ctrl you'll be able to choose a bunch of songs at once, that'll make tagging artists and albums easier. Using Shift makes things easier too - click on one song, scroll down, hit shift and click on another song - all the songs inbetween will be highlighted. Happy tagging, think of it as your initiation.

xsarien

daedsiluap
DJ_Tet said:
Ok got my iPod today from freevideogames.com

Some/a lot of my mp3's apparently don't have ID3 tags. How can I create/fill them in?

Yes. Also, if a bunch of songs are from the same album, or have the same artist, you can just select a bunch and have that one entry apply to all of them.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Thanks guys, guess I got some work to do.

Another quicky, what are the differences between ID3 tags? I mean the versions, anything to be concerned about there?

xsarien

daedsiluap
DJ_Tet said:
Thanks guys, guess I got some work to do.

Another quicky, what are the differences between ID3 tags? I mean the versions, anything to be concerned about there?

Nothing to be too concerned about, no. Just go with what iTunes gives you.

Justin Bailey

------ ------
Ok this is going to sound pretty dumb but. . .

I think I'll be getting an iPod soon as well (from the same company that runs freevideogames.com) and I was wondering about the ID3 tags. Does the iPod only read that info or something? The filename itself is useless? I'm clueless here. . .

BuddyC

Justin Bailey said:
I think I'll be getting an iPod soon as well (from the same company that runs freevideogames.com) and I was wondering about the ID3 tags. Does the iPod only read that info or something? The filename itself is useless? I'm clueless here. . .
Yes. You're right, the iPod categorizes files based on the ID3 tag alone.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Justin Bailey said:
Ok this is going to sound pretty dumb but. . .

I had all my mp3s in one folder, with subfolders for genre/artist/album etc. I loaded the mp3 folder into iTunes, and it was obvious which files had ID3 tags and which ones didn't. You'll see. I'd recommend getting your mp3 folder under control now, unlike I did. About half of my mp3s had the artist/album name filled in under iTunes (which meant they had ID3 tags) and about half didn't. Luckily most of those had the info in the title name of the mp3, but that doesn't help iTunes organize it.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If you import things into iTunes in clusters of like files (artist album etc) you can mass rename the applicable portions of the mp3s.

If a song is selected in iTunes, you can just left-click in any of the fields to start editing instantly. It's helpful for when you're not doing mass renamings.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Fresh Prince said:
LOL

I still think we need DJ_Tet Noob Impressions on 4G iPod Thread.

Hey fuckstick, I got stuck with a 3G iPod. Don't make me start a thread on who to complain to :)

I quoted Fresh Prince but was really targeting Fusebox.

Two separate questions, two separate topics ;)

DJ_Tet

Banned
fart said:
http://www.misticriver.us/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=26

musicbrainz - the best/weirdest tag software ever.

it actually does some kind of spectral analysis of the audio data to figure out what the track is and then tags it.

I'm going through musicbrainz now. Does it fill in some ID3 tags by itself? If so, can I suck your dick :p

I'm not a gay poster btw, but if it did fill in a bunch of ID3 tags, well...you know :p

i'd be worth it...

DJ_Tet

Banned
I'm using MusicBrainz now.

I've got 916 recognized tracks, 314 unidentified, 356 error, and 236 pending files. Does this program fill in my missing mp3 tags?

What does this program do?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Waiting for my iPod to get here on Wednesday, and I've been tagging all of my MP3s as well. Musicbrainz wasn't much help, and neither was The Godfather which was recommended in the other DJ_Tet ID3 Tag topic. Thankully, iTunes makes it easy to change ID3 tags on all songs, though it has been a bit time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom