• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: The next Nintendo Direct will take place tomorrow, the company has announced.

CI_NSwitch_Arms_Gif_Dunk.gif

Omg every. single. time. somebody says this because it's outside of the window they state the Direct is talking about. And yet, every. single. time. Nintendo has shown they announce and talk about things further out than the announced window. I do not understand why people keep falling for this, it's crazy to me.
The rumor described the direct as a Zelda blowout so I believe they will show a proper trailer for BOTW2.

The rumor described the direct as a Zelda blowout so I believe they will show a proper trailer for BOTW2.
They absolutely will. And Jeff qualified his remarks in a podcast to clarify that he wasn't told it was a "Zelda blowout", just that he heard about Wind Waker and maybe TP. He didnt hear anything about BotW 2, that is just widely assumed by all of us because of the timing. A "Zelda Blowout" would be two different Zelda projects being discussed in the same Direct, is what I would say. I do not think Nintendo would release a dual pack, and if not, I would guess Wind Waker gets released sooner, and TP some time later. Also interested to see what Grezzo has been up to, after Link's Awakening. I think because of COVID delays, Grezzo's next project is probably 2023 or 2024 now, but that's fine. Excited if they are doing another ground-up remake of a Zelda game, or getting to work on something else.

Regardless of what happens, there will be good stuff shown tomorrow. No question Zelda will be there in some form or fashion.

Nintendo's made an effort in the Switch era to have a Zelda product each calendar year, (includng Hyrule Warriors), so since Skyward Sword was over a year ago, no doubt something is planned between now and BotW 2 to help fill the gap in their calendar in Nov/ Dec/ Jan. Furukawa has hinted a few times this year that Nintendo hasn't announced their full lineup for the year yet. I think E3 getting canceled caused Nintendo to hold onto some of the bigger stuff for a few more months.

Last edited:
Looks like Grubb and Nate were right then.

Honestly for us viewers it makes absolutely no difference. Functionally, the Direct starts at the same time, whether you watch it live in a stream, or watch the UK video when it becomes available the same moment as the livestream. And isn't the quality better not watching the livestream, anyway?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Honestly for us viewers it makes absolutely no difference. Functionally, the Direct starts at the same time, whether you watch it live in a stream, or watch the UK video when it becomes available the same moment as the livestream. And isn't the quality better not watching the livestream, anyway?

Yeah, I don't get the difference. All Directs are prerecorded anyway, so what's the difference if it's live streamed or just made available at the same time? The only thing I can think of is that you can't skip forward in a live stream. You can watch it on demand whenever you feel like it either way.

I also don't understand what it has to do with "respect", but alright I guess.

Last edited:
Nintendo is filled up with that energy after not releasing anything big for a while, expect a big splurge!
Yep! They're bringing the goods tomorrow, for sure. The September Direct is always a good one. 2018 they opened with Luigi's Mansion 3 reveal, and closed with Animal Crossing New Horizons reveal. 2021 was N64 games and the N64 controller, and Kirby and the Forgotten Land reveal. The big Fall Direct has been a great show all throughout the Switch era, I don't think they'll waste this opportunity to have some solid reveals and get some good buzz going. They know how high expectations are. Probably one of the reasons the window between announcement and air is the shortest ever, 24 hours. Normally it is 36-48 hours to get people excited.

Someone can check me on this, but for a general Direct, I do not think it's ever only been 24 hours notice before.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
But the UK video seems to come online an hour later than the livestream? Because the Nintendo NL stream is an hour earlier than the UK (including timezone differences).

Last edited:
But the UK video seems to come online an hour later than the livestream? Because the Nintendo NL stream is an hour earlier than the UK (including timezone differences).
Ah, got it. I didn't see that the debut times weren't simultaneous. So even moreso credence to the people talking last Friday about how Nintendo may delay the Direct. This is how the UK worked it out with NCL, the Direct is delayed, but only in the UK, and only for 1 hour.

Last edited:
As far as I know Metroid Prime is the only one getting the "remaster" treatment.
This is the million dollar question. The Metroid Prime trilogy getting a Switch release, in some form or another, has been strongly rumored since 2018 or before. In the last 18-24 months, that rumor was narrowed to just being the first one in the trilogy, and further still, being a full remake vs a remaster. But the source of that rumor in particular is only one person, reliable, but still only one person.

We will see! Nothing is official until we see Nintendo talk about it. I think the main idea behind the rumor is reworking and remaking Prime 1 was a great way for Retro to relearn how to do Metroid, since most of the staff who worked on the original trilogy have long since left Retro.

Retro's gone through so many changes since 2007 when Prime 3 launched. That was right as Nintendo went through their casual phase with Wii and DS, and let "hardcore gamer games" take the backburner while they worked on other things. Then Retro got moved over to work on Donkey Kong Country Returns, then Tropical Freeze, and assist with Mario Kart 7. They haven't released a game since 2014, and it's 2022. There's so many unknowns with what happened there behind the scenes the last 8-10 years.

Last edited:
Seeing as I have zero interest in either of those games, please do.
Yep. I'm too old and have no one to play Splatoon with, so that's out. And I've never been able to play first Bayonetta for more than an hour. Looking forward to some Nintendo announcements more up my alley. Mario, Zelda, Yoshi, Metroid, Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion, etc.

SSfox

There is talk that they are bringing back FF4 as well (FF5 had good success on other consoles it seems), oh it would be so amazing.

So there is a chance they will make a new FF6 and the franchise will get a continuation, such awesome series, it deserve the best to the least.

I'm going on a plane to Mexico Friday. So, I'll take a Silksong surprise release.

Thanks in advance.
That would be god-tier, man. Total god-tier. Worth the wait and E3 being canceled.

Or, better yet, "you can download Wind Waker HD immediately following today's presentation." LOL

Last edited:

Serouj2000

20 minutes after the stream ends.
Also, september directs have been notorious for announcing other directs since 2019, so, probably taking that into account...

Last edited:
20 minutes after the stream ends.
Also, september directs have been notorious for announcing other directs since 2019, so, probably taking that into account...
I think just Xenoblade 2 and Animal Crossing, right? So I guess it's happened 2 out of the 4 years we've had one, since no Direct in 2020. I know for sure an Animal Crossing Direct was announced during the 2021 September Direct. But was the Xenoblade 2 Direct announced in the 2017 September Direct, or did one just happen a few months later? Hmm

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ve been saying for like 5 years that a Prime Trilogy won’t happen on Switch because of how jank Prime 3 would end up being due to difficult controls porting. (Well, there’s more than that… you can check my post history if you’re actually interested.)

I’ll eat a damn joy con if it turns out there’s a Prime Trilogy on the way. Now a Prime 1 remaster? That sounds pretty likely and I’m all about it.

Rodolink

Here we go again, me raising expectations hoping to see a Zelda Nintendo Switch special edition. Just for them to be crushed after 40min watching updates on Smash, Splatoon, Pokemon, or whatever other thing not calling for my 90s nostalgia (fzero, metroid, dk, zelda, you know the cool stuff...)

Top Bottom