• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

MrMephistoX

Breakfast: Impossible burger, American cheese, fried egg (that kind of came apart but at least the yolk held), ketchup & mustard on toasted brioche:

LM8bvrg.jpg
I’m not even vegan but I do a beyond sausage sandwich with JUST Eggs substitute and it’s delicious: secret is don’t use shitty vegan cheese and all the fake meat is great. Vegetarianism is aok in my book. Also the secret best menu item now at Dunkin and Starbucks.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Question to our cheese knowing friends: whats the closest to American cheese here in Europe?
The classic sliced 'American' cheese is just processed cheddar or colby. If they sell Kraft singles, this is your best bet. If not, deli sliced cheddar or even provolone will get you a low melting point cheese for your burgers. Personally, I'm not a fan. I would always opt for provolone or something else over 'American' / Kraft singles.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Black Spinach smoothie
  • 4 to 6 oz of frozen blackberries (blueberries if I can’t find blackberries)
  • 4 to 6 oz of raspberries
  • 3 whole peeled lemons (4 if the lemons are small)
  • 14 oz to 16 oz of orange juice
  • 1 zinc tablet
  • 10 oz of raw Spinach
  • 2 scoops of Vital Proteins collagen powder
  • 1 can of low-sodium black beans
  • 1 bar of dark baking chocolate (Guittard is the brand I use)
  • 4 scoops of Hershey’s cocoa powder (any cocoa powder brand should be fine)
  • 4 to 6 oz of raw hazelnuts
  • 2 whole peeled bananas
  • Add water if its too thick
Blend as you continually add ingredients. Let it chill overnight and blend the next day before you start drinking it. Drink throughout the day.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Anyone own any of those smokeless electric grills that have a water reservoir to help collect smoke? Any recommendations?

I'm tired of wanting to grill some meat only for it to end up thunderstorming for hours in the summer.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Anyone own any of those smokeless electric grills that have a water reservoir to help collect smoke? Any recommendations?

I'm tired of wanting to grill some meat only for it to end up thunderstorming for hours in the summer.
I don't own one myself but friends and family all speak highly of Traeger. I use a Weber charcoal grill for my smoking. It's not perfect but it's gets the job done.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
vm2flwb.jpg

Ribs made for Mother’s Day. I miss my house. I cannot wait to get back to cooking on a smoker.
You know what the funny thing is? I cant explain it.

When it comes to BBQ sauce, I typically dont care for it on burgers, pulled pork sandwiches, chicken on the grill etc..... I dont want meat too sweet and the sauce gets on all the other food on the plate.

BUT, when it comes to ribs, BBQ sauce works.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Most American cheese is processed Colby, which is about the most basic, mild, and easily melting cheese around. American cheese based on cheddar is more rare given its tendency to be sharp, even the "mild" cheddars are way sharper than American.

But regardless I've never come across cheese that melts as easily as American and yet can still hold its shape close to the straight up liquid point. It must be all the oil.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yo Food GAF what's up! 🐷 🐷 🐷

I'm making some Rendang (Indonesian beef dish) today. I'm going to try to make some progress pictures.

Example:

ZefEyNy.jpg

nush nush You ever made yourself some chow mein? (Seeing your living in China) Going to make that as well, accompanied with pork in black bean sauce, cashews and assorted greens...

Gaf, share your food pics; food is love!

💗💗💗

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Seeing GAF covers so many regions it's awesome to see what you guys eat on the regular. Be it breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a snack. Doesn't have to be fancy at all. The more down to earth the better.

Last edited:

dcll

Banned
I tried a new to me cut of steak and now I have bought it the last three times I have beef steak. I get it at Walmart and It is chuck eye steak and it is 8.98/pound. I had never heard of it and when I searched it shows to be known as poor man's ribeye.

Last edited:
I tried a new to me cut of steak and now I have bought it the last three times I have beef steak. I get it at Walmart and It is chuck eye steak and it is 8.98/pound. I had never heard of it and when I searched it shows to be known as poor man's ribeye.

My misses kills an asian BBQ rump steak we thin slice and use on all sorts from a crazy asian X fajita mash up to just straight up steak and veg. Nothing wrong with poor man's cuts of meat, just have to be treated right. Skirt steak is another that comes to mind, lamb shanks spring up too. The trouble is these days a bunch of cheap cuts have become all the rage with cooking shows and are getting pricey nowadays.

MrMephistoX

My misses kills an asian BBQ rump steak we thin slice and use on all sorts from a crazy asian X fajita mash up to just straight up steak and veg. Nothing wrong with poor man's cuts of meat, just have to be treated right. Skirt steak is another that comes to mind, lamb shanks spring up too. The trouble is these days a bunch of cheap cuts have become all the rage with cooking shows and are getting pricey nowadays.
TBH Asians do all cuts of beef better due to better use of spices and marinades. I still lust after a good filet mignon or New York steak but Asian recipes just do all cuts of beef better.

Raven117

TBH Asians do all cuts of beef better due to better use of spices and marinades. I still lust after a good filet mignon or New York steak but Asian recipes just do all cuts of beef better.
Good lord have mercy do I not agree with this statement at all. But we are all free to have wrong opinions. :)

MrMephistoX

Good lord have mercy do I not agree with this statement at all. But we are all free to have wrong opinions. :)
I will add South America and Mexico to the list of countries that do beef better than the US. A juicy Steak as I said is delicious but Carne Asada is also delicious with a lesser cut.

Raven117

I will add South America and Mexico to the list of countries that do beef better than the US. A juicy Steak as I said is delicious but Carne Asada is also delicious with a lesser cut.
Now we are getting closer to agreeing! Still can’t agree with Asian and beef. Pork, 1000 percent. Beef, most of their beef dishes don’t taste like beef at all.

Also, you don’t seem to also be considering one of the Crown Jewels of the culinary world…. the “cheeseburger.” And many other beef dishes that aren’t just a steak.

(I’m obviously joking around to have some ding on this topic)

tkscz

Did not know this thread existed cause I need help.

My wife has gone on a diet and cut a lot of carbs out of her diet, this includes removing rice from my jambalaya.

We've replaced it with cauliflower rice but good lord no matter how much creole I use or even adding more peppers can keep it from tasting like cauliflower

I even squeeze most of the liquid out of the cauliflower rice, but it still carries that strong taste.

Is there a better rice alternative? I've tried quinoa but I'm not a fan of the texture.

Tranquil

My wife has gone on a diet and cut a lot of carbs out of her diet, this includes removing rice from my jambalaya.

We've replaced it with cauliflower rice but good lord no matter how much creole I use or even adding more peppers can keep it from tasting like cauliflower

I even squeeze most of the liquid out of the cauliflower rice, but it still carries that strong taste.

Is there a better rice alternative? I've tried quinoa but I'm not a fan of the texture.

I've been eating a low carb diet for almost 3 years now. There is no true alternative for rice/mashed potatoes/pizza, it will always be a little off.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

No. She needs to find a better way to regulate calories. Try intermittent fasting and go back to rice.

Some meals from recent times, big photo post warning. Have been saving them on my phone when I remember to take photos (well some half eaten already):

Malaysian Curry
SQko2mm.jpg

Roast lamb shoulder and roast vegies
tOfiClN.jpg

Chicken noodles
vDYUXxl.jpg

Garlic creamy mussels
zh5GfGU.jpg

Eggs Benedict
ln83b0a.jpg

Chicken burger
gKyfnX2.jpg

Sesame sticky chicken
2xTgUc1.jpg

And some homemade pizza from scratch, did the sauce, dough, tomatoes and basil from our vegie garden too.
h5cy5ji.jpg

HzjJGvr.jpg

Oo0qMHm.jpg

Pnc7hNT.jpg

Top Bottom