• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

GeekyDad

You just needed to add cracked black pepper to that. That's a perfectly acceptable seasoning for a roast chicken.
Plus, if you soak it in brine beforehand, you can cook it where it gets a nice crispy brown outside without drying up on the inside. It looks too pale to me.

MrMephistoX

Did carbonara again with some shrimp fried in a little olive oil, minced garlic and crushed red pepper flakes….delish! Also perfecting cast iron pizza…earlier this week.
4eDYKfl.jpg
eyvtXcm.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just roasted some chicken drum sticks with this PC peanut sauce. Awesome shit. Roasting chicken is always about a 1 hr ordeal, so I slathered this sauce on the final half hour. First time using this sauce. Wasnt sure if it'd burn up if I put it on right away. It worked 30 min in when I flipped the pieces.

I first oven roasted the chicken for half hour covered in some salt, pepper, lemongrass and some clubhouse chicken spice. Then took it out and dunked each drum in a glass of the sauce. A 1/3 glass of it was plenty to coat 10 drums. The sauce isn’t thick like a bbq sauce so a little goes a long way.

The greasy peanut sauce also went great on rice. Next time I make it I’ll take a pic. Im out of chicken so maybe in a week or so.

20311313001_front_a06.png

Last edited:

Jsisto

Did Bolognese in an instant pot holy shit it makes it makes it taste like the sauce has been simmering all day…I used tomatoes and tomato past whereas a lot of recipes go with canned.

1FYvcYR.jpg
qtHJRTe.jpg
Recipe by chance? I’ve had an instant pot for a few years but ashamed to say have been too intimidated by it to use it all this time. That looks good enough for me to want to try it!

MrMephistoX

Recipe by chance? I’ve had an instant pot for a few years but ashamed to say have been too intimidated by it to use it all this time. That looks good enough for me to want to try it!

This recipe but used sauté mode for the first parts and then just put the InstantPot on 20 minutes on high pressure instead of simmering at the end.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Shameless plug y’all should really check out TikTok for recipes. I like a borderline millennial assumed it was dumb dance videos (and if you don’t search that’s what you get) but there are so many good recipes with easy to follow visuals it’s insane. Like making Rattatouille from a cook book or Bouf Bourgeon is daunting but here it’s visually laid out step by step in snippets instead of a 30 minute slog on food network.

Here’s a Vietnamese Recipe I want to try now:

Cross post from HaloGAF but this Chili is the worst recipe for Chili I have ever seen.

And now for the weakest ass Chili I have ever heard of. No Chili? Steve you've lost my respect.

Who makes Chili without chili powder or cumin or coriander or paprika or oregano or you know something with flavour? How about some celery or serve with tortilla chips on the side? Chief has made mince beef not Chili. He's no Master Chef.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just roasted some chicken drum sticks with this PC peanut sauce. Awesome shit. Roasting chicken is always about a 1 hr ordeal, so I slathered this sauce on the final half hour. First time using this sauce. Wasnt sure if it'd burn up if I put it on right away. It worked 30 min in when I flipped the pieces.

I first oven roasted the chicken for half hour covered in some salt, pepper, lemongrass and some clubhouse chicken spice. Then took it out and dunked each drum in a glass of the sauce. A 1/3 glass of it was plenty to coat 10 drums. The sauce isn’t thick like a bbq sauce so a little goes a long way.

The greasy peanut sauce also went great on rice. Next time I make it I’ll take a pic. Im out of chicken so maybe in a week or so.
Decided to buy some skinless boneless chicken breast (4 pack). This time I baked it in a big Corningware bakeware and it was wall to wall chicken. I left it lidless. It'll be different than the drum sticks as there's lots of gravy at the bottom so it wont crisp up like the drums where I spread them out in a big tray.

But to give you an idea, here it is. I got leftovers for tomorrow. You'll see up close some tiny orange bits. Those are peanut chunks from the peanut satay sauce. The rest of the coating is olive oil, some salt, pepper, lemongrass, basil powder.

ubhbxrU.jpg

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Note to self apparently our eggs must be bigger in America compared to this euro ham and egg croissant recipe which called for 2 eggs: I think you could just use one large US egg. Tasty but had to cut the egg out of it post cooking.
31jYszQ.jpg
Like they say you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few (1 in this case) eggs. Much happier with the result this time…did one over easy egg with the yolk flattened, Swiss cheese, and a slice of ham.

P3f35vt.jpg

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Todays adventure in dumb food hacks…if you’re like me someone always ends up giving you liqueur filled chocolates at Xmas and it takes nearly until the next holiday to get through them.

Why not shove them into a croissant, air fry or bake and make a quick and dirty pain au chocolat?
N7OhnCb.jpg

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Todays adventure in dumb food hacks…if you’re like me someone always ends up giving you liqueur filled chocolates at Xmas and it takes nearly until the next holiday to get through them.

Why not shove them into a croissant, air fry or bake and make a quick and dirty pain au chocolat?
N7OhnCb.jpg
It's actually a brilliant idea! Will share.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
$7 for a pound of beef mince?
Absolutely disgusting.

Anyway, can't wait to see how it turns out for you.

Yea man. Two pounds of chicken breasts cost me nearly $16 USD the other day. I feel really bad for any household in my area earning less than about $50k right now. Must be fucking rough.

GeekyDad

Yea man. Two pounds of chicken breasts cost me nearly $16 USD the other day. I feel really bad for any household in my area earning less than about $50k right now. Must be fucking rough.
Shit, I didn't realize the prices were so high. I rarely eat that kind of stuff. We're definitely in full inflation mode as a country.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Shit, I didn't realize the prices were so high. I rarely eat that kind of stuff. We're definitely in full inflation mode as a country.

Yep. It really depends on the nearest meat suppliers. Some cities have it worse than others.

Also here's my chili, needs another hour or so to simmer but it's coming along. I ran out of cumin so it's going to be blander than I like but oh well :( (I had about 10% of the container left, when I typically like to dump a good 20% of it into my chili batches)

TKwvGUX.jpg

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
BadBurger,

You're prices are outrageous where you live. Are you buying high end organic stuff?

Ground beef in Toronto regular price is around $5/lb CDN, on sale for about $4/lb. Before covid you could get it on deal for $3/lb all the time (now it's rare). Skinless boneless chicken breast is maybe $7/lb regular price and $5/lb on sale.

Prices during covid barely budged. Chicken drums and thighs have been as dirt cheap as always. You can get these cuts for $1/lb at shady ethnic stores or $2/lb at mainstream stores on deal.

Here's some snippets from this week from various stores. To convert to US $$$, take the prices below and multiply by 0.80.

xxCWUVC.jpg

t2AtA5F.jpg
BC6pn56.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
BadBurger,

You're prices are outrageous where you live. Are you buying high end organic stuff?

Ground beef in Toronto regular price is around $5/lb CDN, on sale for about $4/lb. Before covid you could get it on deal for $3/lb all the time (now it's rare). Skinless boneless chicken breast is maybe $7/lb regular price and $5/lb on sale.

Prices during covid barely budged. Chicken drums and thighs have been as dirt cheap as always. You can get these cuts for $1/lb at shady ethnic stores or $2/lb at mainstream stores on deal.

Here's some snippets from this week from various stores. To convert to US $$$, take the prices below and multiply by 0.80.

xxCWUVC.jpg

t2AtA5F.jpg
BC6pn56.jpg

As I mentioned it seems to depend upon the city. I can't help it. And no I am not buying organic from Wholefoods or what not - as you can see from the label it's Harris Teeter - basic grocer. :(

MrMephistoX

As I mentioned it seems to depend upon the city. I can't help it. And no I am not buying organic from Wholefoods or what not - as you can see from the label it's Harris Teeter - basic grocer. :(
Or invest in a Kitchenaid mixer and the meet grinder add on then you can make whatever blend you want and freeze in a meat ball for quick repeat use.

GeekyDad

2uyU9k8.jpg

Minced garlic and ginger
JI8TQE0.jpg

Four romas and a leftover vine ripe
5MGXQhL.jpg

After letting three onions brown, add my ginger and garlic, let 'em cook for a minute or two...
m8Xre8d.jpg

Add tomatoes and spices (garam masala, tumeric, cumin powder -- they don't have cumin seeds where I live -- and kosher salt). Let simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on.
4edYHh3.jpg

Add six chicken thighs that I let marinate in yogurt overnight with the same seasons (less the salt) and ginger and garlic. Cook on high for a few minutes, then flip chicken, cover and let cook for 45 minutes and...
v51xZTv.jpg

Heaven, also known as traditional Indian chicken curry.
qqklab7.jpg

Turned my wife into putty in my hands.
gotcha-bitch-chappelle.gif

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think I finally stumbled upon a spicy noodle dish that's simple enough for me to attempt:

Cool thing is, I can easily see how one could swap out a few ingredients to make a similar but different-enough meal with a different flavor profile. Like replacing tofu with beef, and the oyster sauce with a broth-based sauce, making spicy beef noodles. I'm going to swing by the Asian mart after work to get what I need.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

Man, all I can say is, the yogurt technique of tenderizing meat is, thus far, the best thing I've found. Basically did that same thing I did a week or two ago with the chicken curry, but used Italian seasonings instead. Amazingly delicate, sweet chicken. Oy...and thigh meat, man -- good Lord. Just so great.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not a fancy tip or anything, but if you're slumming it here's things I do sometimes:

1. If you're eating a can of Stagg chili or something similar, pour a 1/4 or 1/3 bowl of potato chips. Then pour the hot chili on top. Kettle chips are best.

2. If you're eating a can of Chunky soup (like beef), make a packet of raman noodles first. Drain it and put in a bowl. Pour soup on top.

3. I buy Piller's pepperoni sticks sometimes at Costco. When making pasta, cut up 2 sticks into small pieces and cook them a bit in olive oil. Then make your sauce with it. An easy cheap way to add meat to your sauce.

MrMephistoX

I see one leaf of greens, and you referred to it as a salad. But it does look great, especially that potato. Think it would give me a heart attack, though. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Rest of the salad was off camera lol it was a giant steak so I ended up cutting it up and sharing with my kid but I just had to get a pic of the monster in tact.

Last edited:
Top Bottom