• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

MrMephistoX

aglio e olio…if you like spice and garlic this is da bomba.

xZUk1qt.jpg

MrMephistoX

Mephisto,

You post a lot of good looking cooking pics. Just curious. Do you have training as a chef? Do you read recipes online? Or do you just do your own judgement making dishes doing your own thing?

No training literally just TikTok and a few things I picked up from my dad also not a chef…also fyi I suck at anything involving baking.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

xZUk1qt.jpg

I made this after watching Chef, with John Favreau, and then seeing him and Roy Choi make it in real-time on their Netflix cooking show several years back. I keep mine simple, just like them - nothing but olive oil, butter, parsley, parmesan, garlic, salt, pepper, the pasta water, and red chili flakes (I prefer angel hair myself).

I shit you not this dish got me laid back in 2016, 2017. I had a hot neighbor who used to chat me up over our fence sometimes. Somehow the conversation came around to cooking and how bad she sucked at it and wanted to know how to learn to cook with simple dishes (sounds like a Playboy letter but seriously, gen Z women man). I showed her how to make this, which is super cheap and quick, and she seemed so impressed her mood changed from "chatty neighbor who I think said she liked Doctor Who or some British shit" to "holy shit I think this hot young chick is seriously trying to fuck my old ass".

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

I shit you not this dish got me laid back in 2016, 2017. I had a hot neighbor who used to chat me up over our fence sometimes. Somehow the conversation came around to cooking and how bad she sucked at it and wanted to know how to learn to cook with simple dishes (sounds like a Playboy letter but seriously, gen Z women man). I showed her how to make this, which is super cheap and quick, and she seemed so impressed her mood changed from "chatty neighbor who I think said she liked Doctor Who or some British shit" to "holy shit I think this hot young chick is seriously trying to fuck my old ass".
Food is love?

Hotpot is my favorite go to for an easy meal if I’m entertaining.
Super quick and easy if you are coming home from work on a Friday and don’t have a ton of time since everything is pretty much just opening the box and serving.
I lucked out and found a nice parted pot so that I can have two broths.
The broths also come in packages so no stress there.
4YrDUL5.jpg

GeekyDad

Tried using coriander in my curry this time. Oh, the regret...

My wife loved it, said she thought it was better than the last batch, but it's just not for me. I can still taste/smell the aftertaste the day after. I don't know...it has a sweetness or something that just doesn't agree with my senses.

I’ve found that coriander that isn’t that fresh can be more off putting to some.
I think someone said it was a genetic thing too. No idea about that but I do love me some coriander.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
BadBurger BadBurger a week is a long time to marinade. Did the acid cook it some?

I use a vacuum sealer when I marinate sometimes, so I wasn't worried about spoiling. And yes, the outer bit of tissue in some places will get slightly cooked by acidic marinades after even just a day in my experience (depends on how acidic one makes it). If you zoom in on the first and look at the thigh on the right it's pretty prevalent, that pic was snapped prior to jacking up the heat and flipping for more sear.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People either love or hate coriander, there is no in-between.
Hate Club here for anything resembling parsley, coriander, cilantro. Not even sure if they are the same thing, but close enough.

The worst is you go to a pub and it can be mashed right into the toppings on nachos or fajitas. Or they sprinkle that shit on top my fish and chips for whatever reason.

If I had to choose between coriander or Ricardo's skin peel in my food, I'd probably flip a coin.

Last edited:
I've found that people who dislike coriander were either using too little or far too much. When they're given a dish with an appropriate use of and amount of coriander they tend to change their mind.
Took my wife 2 decades to turn the corner on coriander. She hates anything remotely aniseed tasting.

A couple of snaps I remembered to take on the old phone -

Country style chicken casserole my misses does, basically a throw it all in a slow cooker sort of deal (cooked for about 10 hours or so while we work). Chicken thigh, mini potatoes, celery, bay leaves, carrot, onion, chicken stock and we had some Jasmine rice in the cupboard as we had run out of long grain.

mVxXbdn.jpg

Lamb backstrap marinated overnight from the local butcher and flame grilled on the charcoal BBQ outback. We decided to turn it into a makeshift souvlaki mash up wrap. So tasty and just the basics e.g. iceberg lettuce, tomato slices, raw red onion slivers, homemade tzatziki plus a bit of hot sauce.

eyfu8Iz.jpg

Last edited:

Pantz

I've come up with a new recipe!
Instead of Chili Dog, why not Soup Dog?

Make hot dog like normal with bun.
Make chunky soup like normal.
Put some soup on top of hot dog and bun.
Top with shredded cheese and sour cream.

Hmm, I think it's good. I'll get a pic next time.

Left some chicken thighs marinating in a cilantro and lime solution for nearly a week, grilled up on the electric:

3vG4cPf.jpg

Made a sammich for the first meal from it:

A4hqQ4F.jpg
Jesus Christ, a fucking week ?!!

The marinade must've absorbed into that chicken right down the the atomic level.

Did that chicken not fall apart the moment you took it out to grill?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Did I do Mother’s Day right? Filet of beef Maine Lobster tails, Caesar salad and Au Gratin (cheesy) sliced potatoes….I guess h have to paint you a word picture since photo uploads aren’t working?
WMY6KwE.jpg
Why is there peanut butter?!
Jesus Christ, a fucking week ?!!

The marinade must've absorbed into that chicken right down the the atomic level.

Did that chicken not fall apart the moment you took it out to grill?
Years back my bro and sister in law marinated pieces of pork or beef overnight in some sauce with pineapple juice. LOL. The acid broke down the meat so after he grilled it up it was like a pasty pate. Disgusting.

My bro was wondering what the hell happened. Then his wife said she marinated the meat in the fridge in that sauce she made. What a waste of money. My bro BBQ'ed a full rack of it for family. He was pissed.

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Why is there peanut butter?!

Years back my bro and sister in law marinated pieces of pork or beef overnight in some sauce with pineapple juice. LOL. The acid broke down the meat so after he grilled it up it was like a pasty pate. Disgusting.

My bro was wondering what the hell happened. Then his wife said she marinated the meat in the fridge in that sauce she made. What a waste of money. My bro BBQ'ed a full rack of it for family. He was pissed.

It was just in the background from shopping.

Raven117

xZUk1qt.jpg
Dude, you put celery in this? What kind of hot sauce is that? Why is that going in there?!

This is truly one of the greatest pasta dishes in existence.

It is as follows:
Spaghetti
Olive Oil
Garlic
Red pepper
Parsley
Lemon
Bit of Parm
Cracked black pepper
Salt
(Maybe pancetta or bacon if you want the protien...and even this is edgy)

And its very much dependent on technique.

Thats it.

(Im just giving you a hard time, glad you found this awesome pasta dish!)

PSA: Be careful with marinades folks....Longer doesn't always mean better. If you are using alot of acid, its going to somewhat cook the meat (and its going to be harder to cook properly (ie, char up in a good way and really mess with the texture).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Roasted these at 425F for around an hour.

- Made a random marinade of roughly this General Tsao VH sauce (70%) and 10% each of honey, soy sauce, hot sauce
- Sprinkled salt and pepper all over the legs
- Dipped each drum into a beer glass of the sauce
- Then sprinkled some club house chicken spice powder
- At the half hour point, spooned sauce in the pan on them, flipped them, and added more chicken spice powder if needed
- Came out great, but next time if I make a similar marinade I'm going to add more honey ratio. Maybe make it 60% VH sauce and 20% honey. I was hoping to make some sweet and salty glaze. It was tasty but not really honey glazy as I hoped

MkOv1os.jpg

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Roasted these at 425F for around an hour.

- Made a random marinade of roughly this General Tsao VH sauce (70%) and 10% each of honey, soy sauce, hot sauce
- Sprinkled salt and pepper all over the legs
- Dipped each drum into a beer glass of the sauce
- Then sprinkled some club house chicken spice powder
- At the half hour point, spooned sauce in the pan on them, flipped them, and added more chicken spice powder if needed
- Came out great, but next time if I make a similar marinade I'm going to add more honey ratio. Maybe make it 60% VH sauce and 20% honey. I was hoping to make some sweet and salty glaze. It was tasty but not really honey glazy as I hoped

MkOv1os.jpg

How dare you make me this hungry.

Misses and son both have Influenza A (the flu) for the last week. Cooked a nice batch of some basic roast chicken and vegies soup to mend what ails. Of course roasted a chicken, reduced some yellow onions, garlic, ginger, salt then some diced vegies such as carrot and celery etc to finally add 6 cups of homemade chicken stock plus some dill and slow cook for hours. Ready made lunches or dinners for them both. Usually we just add a slice of buttered toast too.

hbxNl1L.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Misses and son both have Influenza A (the flu) for the last week. Cooked a nice batch of some basic roast chicken and vegies soup to mend what ails. Of course roasted a chicken, reduced some yellow onions, garlic, ginger, salt then some diced vegies such as carrot and celery etc to finally add 6 cups of homemade chicken stock plus some dill and slow cook for hours. Ready made lunches or dinners for them both. Usually we just add a slice of buttered toast too.

hbxNl1L.jpg
Nice. That soup looks like 50% chicken!

Pesto Chicken Orzo
xnokdlB.jpg

Lemon Garlic Yogurt Marinated Chicken Skewers
p4IkQH4.jpg

Parmesan Pan-Fried Gnocchi
byZgbZ5.jpg

Lemon Pan-fried Prosciutto with Gnocchi with Romano and Parmesan
RNAZqa6.jpg

Chicken with Zucchini and Rice with Lemon Garlic Yogurt
EAO2vXy.jpg
I'd pound back all of those skewers.

Rarely make skewers on bbq. And when I have I do them shitty like the veggies and meat dont cook together nicely. Like is overdone and the other undercooked.

That all looks so delicious mate. Fucking well done!
Thank you!

Nice. That soup looks like 50% chicken!

I'd pound back all of those skewers.

Rarely make skewers on bbq. And when I have I do them shitty like the veggies and meat dont cook together nicely. Like is overdone and the other undercooked.
The secret is marinating the chicken in Yogurt, then not putting them on the grill right away and letting the heat die down a bit. Chicken is one of the hardest meats to cook on the BBQ. For me it is anyway.

Last edited:
Misses and I banged out some homemade crispaaay chicken burgers. Here's some steps because I remembered to take some photos for a change -

1. Chicken breast soaked in buttermilk overnight (and a few spices sprinklings)
UAzx53S.jpg

2. Then into a padding down of flour/cornflour, salt/onion salt, garlic powder, bit of paprika and cayenne
RHcEjd6.jpg

3. Homemade coleslaw with siracha and mayo dressing (don't mix until serving or it goes soggy) - has red onion slices, sliced cabbage and grated carrot plus a pinch of white pepper
NgO8bqx.jpg

4. Wifey made a little maple syrup hot sauce to drizzle over the fried chicken (chili powder, maple syrup, sweet paprika, pinch of salt, touch of vinegar and reduced a bit on heat)
TncoMZK.jpg

5. Forgot pics here but deep fried the chicken in some oil and then in a moderate oven dried it out a little after frying for 2-3mins, came out so crispy and didn't need any cornflakes fakery etc

6. Assembly with added bacon and tomato slices
K3mtp6B.jpg

7. Complete and cut in half for easy eating, chicken was so moist
r0COWyx.jpg

8. Daughter's version as she's not a big fan of coleslaw, so did lettuce and diced capsicum/tomato instead for her
Povqken.jpg

Last edited:

nush

I've been working on improving my Chinese cooking, with good results. I found this website for the instructions https://devour.asia/tag/cooking-chinese/ what I like about it is that it has very simple to follow instructions and also the recipes use a lot of the same base ingredients without getting bogged down with a specific brand or type of (For example Soy sauce). So if you buy a pack or jar of something you'll get to use it up over a range of recipes. Not just once and you forget what recipe you brought that sauce for so it just sits on the shelf.

It's just the main ingredients you need to go shopping for, vegetables or meat. I also leaned to cook Wood ear fungus dishes and tofu which I never knew how to before.

tpXirc.md.jpg

tpXAb1.md.jpg

tpX8lH.md.jpg

This morning with my new found skills I thought, could I stir fry a full English breakfast? :pie_thinking:

Well, yes you can! It was delicious and probably quicker than frying the regular way.

tpX2kx.md.jpg

GeekyDad

I've been working on improving my Chinese cooking, with good results. I found this website for the instructions https://devour.asia/tag/cooking-chinese/ what I like about it is that it has very simple to follow instructions and also the recipes use a lot of the same base ingredients without getting bogged down with a specific brand or type of (For example Soy sauce). So if you buy a pack or jar of something you'll get to use it up over a range of recipes. Not just once and you forget what recipe you brought that sauce for so it just sits on the shelf.

It's just the main ingredients you need to go shopping for, vegetables or meat. I also leaned to cook Wood ear fungus dishes and tofu which I never knew how to before.

tpXirc.md.jpg

tpXAb1.md.jpg

tpX8lH.md.jpg

This morning with my new found skills I thought, could I stir fry a full English breakfast? :pie_thinking:

Well, yes you can! It was delicious and probably quicker than frying the regular way.

tpX2kx.md.jpg
They all look delicious, especially the broccoli and mushrooms. Can you give me a breakdown of that dish (spices and such)?

Top Bottom