• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

THE-JUV

!0 hour here so far it's amazing. don't need to grind, i would have in some moment, but it's really well balance.

I decide to test but enemies seem to never cap in style on spy, their damage always increases...or i just never been able to reach the cap. Someone can confirm this ?

yeah I think they definitely modernized classic turn-based combat in the right way while staying true to the classic retro format

i love how when you die you can simply retry the battle too, 4 hours in and loving every minute of this game so far

I bought the PS4 version over the weekend and I'm really looking forward to getting in to it. I just started playing Tides of Numenera so it might be a while before I start, but that'll just give them time to iron out all the bugs. Definitely wanted to give the game some support though.

SarusGray

yeah I think they definitely modernized classic turn-based combat in the right way while staying true to the classic retro format

i love how when you die you can simply retry the battle too, 4 hours in and loving every minute of this game so far

seriously such an awesome mechanic. This game really respects my time as someone who works and participates in non-profit as well as loves gaming! Gosh I'm about to just buy another one to give to my friend who LOVES these types of games.

Oh boy, I want to trust GAF but feel we all exaggerate our love for a game we've been following. I didn't even hear about this game until 3 days ago, and now I just need reviews to confirm my purchase.

So, I see some patches out, is the game generally good to go if I buy now?

Freeman76

The feel of the early parts reminds me a bit of the first hours of FF7, maybe its the music I dunno, gives me a similar vibe somehow.

Its really hitting the right notes for me, intriguing, lack of busy work, awesome battle system, thumbs up so far and Im only 2 hours into it.

The little touches are great too....i just examined the games console in Alyssas room, and she laments how there is never enough time to finish all the rpg she buys....think mostof us relate to that lol

Oh boy, I want to trust GAF but feel we all exaggerate our love for a game we've been following. I didn't even hear about this game until 3 days ago, and now I just need reviews to confirm my purchase.

The game is great.
The patches that are out got rid of most of the bugs!

mindatlarge

Wanna pick this up, though I'm hoping the crashing bugs have been addressed with the recent patches. I'll be playing it on PS4 in the US.

Freeman76

This makes no sense, you dont trust us yet want us to tell you if you're good to go?

Buy it...

slash000

Zeboyd Games
Just tried it again side by side with the PS4 version and the PC version is zoomed in more for some reason. I tried it on my PC monitor and my TV just to make sure it wasn't the display doing it. I prefer the zoomed out wider field of view on the PS4 but maybe the view on PC is the intended one. Just thought I'd let you guys know in case it's some sort of bug. I can provide pics or video if needed.

I suspect it's something on just my PC and for some reason it's being zoomed. Here's a picture of my title screen. Notice how system at the bottom is cut off because of it being zoomed in.

IMG_1465_zpsbfzyq96n.jpg

So, PS4 is running 1080p. If it's getting cropped or anything it may be an option in your TV but the PS4 is the intended view (ie 1080p).

What resolution are you running on your PC?

Are the black borders supposed to be there around the entire image? I can't find a setting that gets rid of them.

BpnERWx.png

I4Dxn7l.png

It has these in 1280x720 and 1920x1080, fullscreen. Some standard Acer monitor at 1920x1080, Windows 10, desktop.

Note: the white lines are just me poorly cropping the screenshot in paint.

Now this is bizarre because if you are running in 1080p full screen there should be no issues whatsoever. For 720p full screen.. it should adjust the viewable image and be full screen.. Honestly unless you have a super uncommon screen resolution there shouldn't be black bars like that.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Now this is bizarre because if you are running in 1080p full screen there should be no issues whatsoever. For 720p full screen.. it should adjust the viewable image and be full screen.. Honestly unless you have a super uncommon screen resolution there shouldn't be black bars like that.

Nvidia DSR resolution stuff interfering perhaps? It allows you to set stuff like 1.5x Native and so forth maybe that's causing weirdness? I am not the OP though, but just a thought.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
1.02 patch up for EU version.

You are quick!

I'm going to warn everyone that sometimes it takes the PSN backend an hour or two, seemingly, before brand newly published patches download in one easy fell swoop.

So like, the patch is out, but, it may be a choppy download for another hour. I mean, it won't stop you from getting it, but, don't be surprised if you have to restart the download a few times.

This makes no sense, you dont trust us yet want us to tell you if you're good to go?

Buy it...

Lol, I trust GAF, its just that Id like a more formal analysis. I was asking more about the bugs

Also the title is such a forgetful jumble of words!

I hope it doesnt hurt the game's success too much, but it seems reviews and word of mouth will help the most

urfe

This is the first time I'm playing a game, and seeing interaction with the creators as it's being played. I'm probably late to the party, but it's really cool to see and be a part of.

On Heroine, the game started out quite hard for me, but now I'm not really noticing much challenge in Chapter 6. I have a "I'll fully understand the battle mechanics when I need to" mentality, and that hasn't occurred really past Chapter 1 (or 2?) Maybe it's because I'm not looking into things carefully, but some of my characters are way stronger than others. Some I keep alive just to take blows.

I didn't really use insight until the sixth chapter, where a character reveals a pretty big plot point with it. Hope I didn't miss too much earlier on.

I haven't experienced any bugs at all, been playing on a copy from US PSN from day one.

I4Dxn7l.png

Nvidia DSR resolution stuff interfering perhaps? It allows you to set stuff like 1.5x Native and so forth maybe that's causing weirdness? I am not the OP though, but just a thought.

That was a good idea, and I thought you'd solved it. But I didn't have DSR enabled (I thought I did).

I haven't been able to fix this for an hour. I think I'll just give up, refund it on Steam and buy it on PS4.

Update (before I posted): I fixed the problem!

1) Turning DSR on actually allows it to work. It seems to work by injecting any factor. Both 1.78x and 4.00x by themselves worked for my issue.
2) Select fullscreen
3) Game crashes (whenever I change resolution the game crashes to desktop (Steam version) )
4) Black borders are gone! They will come back if I ever change the resolution and go back to fullscreen while DSR is disabled.

Thanks for the idea though, QFNS!

Gumbie

That was a good idea, and I thought you'd solved it. But I didn't have DSR enabled (I thought I did).

I haven't been able to fix this for an hour. I think I'll just give up, refund it on Steam and buy it on PS4.

Update (before I posted): I fixed the problem!

1) Turning DSR on actually allows it to work. It seems to work by injecting any factor. Both 1.78x and 4.00x by themselves worked for my issue.
2) Select fullscreen
3) Game crashes (whenever I change resolution the game crashes to desktop (Steam version) )
4) Black borders are gone! They will come back if I ever change the resolution and go back to fullscreen while DSR is disabled.

Thanks for the idea though, QFNS!

Turning on DSR fixed my zoomed in problem too! You're awesome.

This was how my screen was before the fix. Notice how system is halfway cut off.

EDIT: Works on my 1440 monitor shown in picture. Still zooms in on my 1080p TV. :(

IMG_1465_zpsbfzyq96n.jpg

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Also the title is such a forgetful jumble of words!

I hope it doesnt hurt the game's success too much, but it seems reviews and word of mouth will help the most

LOL. Come on, listen to yourself.

Xenoblade Chronicles
Fire Emblem Awakening
HORIZON ZERO DAWN

... Do any of those give you the SLIGHTEST clue what the hell those games are about or are they also mumbled words from someone's fever dream?

This game actually spells out for you A LOT about the game from it's three words.

Cosmic = the setting of the game
Star = It's directly inspired from Phantasy Star series
Heroine = female protagonist

Xenoblade Chronicles
Fire Emblem Awakening
HORIZON ZERO DAWN

... Do any of those give you the SLIGHTEST clue what the hell those games are about or are they also mumbled words from someone's fever dream?

This game actually spells out for you A LOT about the game from it's three words.

Horizon is a terrible name, but Those games also have huge marketing budgets to make up for it. To an outsider, the title of the game seems hard to remember and doesnt really make sense

Xenoblade Chronicles
Fire Emblem Awakening
HORIZON ZERO DAWN

To be slightly fair to that poster, Cosmic and Star both kinda imply the same thing in regards to setting. Saying that, just Cosmic Heroine or Star Heroine doesn't have the same ring to it. Personally I think they should have thrown caution to the wind and called it Cosmic Galaxy Astro Stellar Star Heroine.

Horizon is a terrible name, but Those games also have huge marketing budgets to make up for it. To an outsider, the title of the game seems hard to remember and doesnt really make sense

I take back the benefit of the doubt I gave, that is an inanely dumb reason to have something against the name.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
GB quick look sold me. I hadn't really seen any footage of this game, but the setting does a lot for me. I'll be waiting for the Vita version to come out, however. Vastly prefer my RPGs on a handheld.

To be slightly fair to that poster, Cosmic and Star both kinda imply the same thing in regards to setting. Saying that, just Cosmic Heroine or Star Heroine doesn't have the same ring to it. Personally I think they should have thrown caution to the wind and called it Cosmic Galaxy Astro Stellar Star Heroine.

I take back the benefit of the doubt I gave, that is an inanely dumb reason to have something against the name.

I doubt Im the only one who woud casually see the title and not remember it, but okay.

I'm almost done with Lords of the Fallen, so I threw caution to the wind and started up CSH. Only 20 minutes in, but I can't find a manual that explains the specifics of the ingame stats and what they affect.

Edit: nvm, there's a guy after the 1st mission who explains them all.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
When have JRPGs ever had or needed sensible names? CSH is heavily influenced by a game called "Chrono Trigger," which is as nonsensical as it gets.

This is such an odd dig...

What would you have named it?

All I said was that I had trouble remembering the name because it seemed like a random bunch of names. I dont see what the big deal is to say that more casual on lookers may not remember the title since its an indie title without a huge presence

Jolkien

Made it past the abandoned lab, I really like it. Incoming damage is quite high but I guess that's what I get for playing on the second hardest setting.

The combat mechanics are really solid. Good job to everyone on the dev team. Can't wait to play some more tomorrow.

All I said was that I had trouble remembering the name because it seemed like a random bunch of names. I dont see what the big deal is to say that more casual on lookers may not remember the title since its an indie title without a huge presence

So...what would you have named it lol

This is what people were talking about in the Rime thread regarding actionable feedback vs. just complaints

So...what would you have named it lol

This is what people were talking about in the Rime thread regarding actionable feedback vs. just complaints

Why do I have to name it? Feels like youre making my comment a bigger deal than it needs to be. All I said was that it felt like 3 random words to me, and I felt it would be confusing for new fans to remember it, so lets just move on from it.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
One of our goals with naming our games is to make them a bit quirky so that people either remember them (at least in part) and hopefully talk about them.

Breath of Death VII, Cthulhu Saves the World, and Cosmic Star Heroine have all worked out pretty well to that end. :p

Putting this in the post too:
We put up a new patch for NA PS4 version too (the EU patch went up a few hours earlier)
It fixes more bugs and stuff.

Just encountered my first repeatable lock-up. Chapter 3 in the API base after
the team decides to leave the API
, I loaded my game at the entrance (elevator, from the dorms/rooms screen) of the main base floor with all the people (receptionists, guy who wanted soda for his cough, etc.). If I try running into the meeting room at the left edge of the room, it will go into battle mode like I'm about to start a battle, but the characters will just keep running in place and there will be no enemies on the turn order or anything.

Not a big deal for me since I have a save literally seconds before it, but I just wanted to point it out if it's of any help.

Jolkien

I've heard that she opens a great shop in the endgame, but I can't confirm that myself as I haven't been back to check up on her.

Yeah I took the chance and paid her, just a bit later you get a lot of money in fights, I'm back up to 4500 credits.

Jolkien

Ran into a weird bug, Sue's model is bugged not moving at all, he just glides around. He's even bugged on the world map, everyone is tiny but he keeps his normal bugged model.

Tried reloading, changing zone, still bugged. I assume it's a known issue and will be patched at some point ? (Playing on a PS4 Pro)

HyperDuckSW

Neo Member
Ran into a weird bug, Sue's model is bugged not moving at all, he just glides around. He's even bugged on the world map, everyone is tiny but he keeps his normal bugged model.

Tried reloading, changing zone, still bugged. I assume it's a known issue and will be patched at some point ? (Playing on a PS4 Pro)

I'm fairly certain Robert & Bill were just discussing this issue a couple of days ago, they'll reply to confirm but I'm pretty sure they are working on fixing this issue atm.

It may seem somewhat shameless to say, but the help & support is both needed & appreciated, so I'll say it anyway: If y'all are enjoying the game and have it on steam, it would be a much appreciated service by the 4 of us, if you shared your 2 cents & left a recommended review on the steam page, only if you feel it deserves it of course!

Sometimes I feel like there's some sound effects missing. The specific examples I can think of is when regen goes off, or when Lauren uses Tornado. Is this just me or is that a thing?

EvSOLO

Colin quit KF at the worst time for you guys. I know he was super stoked to play this. Hopefully the GB quick look gives CSH a nice sales spike. Great game

Turning on DSR fixed my zoomed in problem too! You're awesome.

This was how my screen was before the fix. Notice how system is halfway cut off.

EDIT: Works on my 1440 monitor shown in picture. Still zooms in on my 1080p TV. :(

IMG_1465_zpsbfzyq96n.jpg

This is related to something called overscan on your TV. It regularly happens on TVs accepting PC input (even HDMI). Look for a button on your remote called P Size or Picture Size, or scour the manual for ways to adjust overscan.

Top Bottom