• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cosmic Star Heroine |OT| Alyssa's Chrono Phantasy

Gumbie

Crash when changing the resolution... off to a good start ;)

New resolution sticks after a restart though.

It's not a crash they just want you to close the game and reopen it so there's no issues with the new setting. They just don't really communicate to the player that that's what is happening

HyperDuckSW

Neo Member
Sometimes I feel like there's some sound effects missing. The specific examples I can think of is when regen goes off, or when Lauren uses Tornado. Is this just me or is that a thing?

That's weird, there are sounds for everything, so I'll add that to my list of things to poke the devs about. It shouldn't be a thing, just to clarify, thanks for pointing it out!

Jacqli

How is the story of this game? And how long does it take to beat it? Also, even at the risk of sounding as a weeaboo…

is there any romance in this game? And more importantly, any yuri romance?

slash000

Zeboyd Games
The arrested guy in Gehenna is supposed to open the warehouse,
the woman in the shelter is supposed to open a new shop in east Gehenna...

We will investigate why that isn't happening. hm.

Jolkien

How do you get Umi ? She's sitting and waiting for someone, I looked everywhere, I supposed I need to keep playing. Do we know how many recruitable companion are missable ?

Jolkien

Ace! Thanks. 2 hrs in and I really dig this. Are they making a switch version? That would be a perfect match.

From the OT:

-Potential for a Switch port?
We've been in touch with Nintendo so the possibility is there, but we can't even think about adding more platforms at the moment until we take care of the ones we've already promised.

GlamFM

Banned
From the OT:

-Potential for a Switch port?
We've been in touch with Nintendo so the possibility is there, but we can't even think about adding more platforms at the moment until we take care of the ones we've already promised.

Cool! Last question, battle is blacked out for me. What do I have to do?

With the 1.02 patch up for EU, I finally got to put a couple of hours into this earlier.

I have those warm fuzzy feelings when you realize that you have something really good going on. Yep, I'm going to like this game a lot. Thanks Zeboyd guys. Loving the gameplay, cutscenes and music. I'm especially digging the little sprinkles of all the great games we've all played over the years, poured over the top of this labour of love.

Wow this game is still freaking broken. Just purchased for PS4 and started playing. Got to the first boss, used a buff on my companion, and now the game is stuck not letting me do anything. Jesus Christ.

Anyone who is on the fence I advise not to purchase until the bugs are COMPLETELY ironed out. This is ridiculous.

Gumbie

Figured out my issue. It was Windows 10 scaling my desktop resolution up automatically on my 65 inch TV to 150% to make things easier to read and navigate. Set it to 100% and the zoomed in weirdness is gone.

Burt

Figured out my issue. It was Windows 10 scaling my desktop resolution up automatically on my 65 inch TV to 150% to make things easier to read and navigate. Set it to 100% and the zoomed in weirdness is gone.

As always, Windows 10 is the worst.

Wow this game is still freaking broken. Just purchased for PS4 and started playing. Got to the first boss, used a buff on my companion, and now the game is stuck not letting me do anything. Jesus Christ.

Anyone who is on the fence I advise not to purchase until the bugs are COMPLETELY ironed out. This is ridiculous.

You encountering one possible bug doesn't mean the game is broken lol

Skulldead

Compare to 1.01 this is night and day. i don't have any more crash since the patch today. I played about 15 hours. The first 3 hours was the worse, after that everything is much less buggy.

Timeaisis

Finished! Fantastic game all around. One of my favorite RPGs, for sure. Enjoyed the ending for the most part. The ending credits theme is fantastic, by the way. I was really surprised that you had a boss before the final boss that could
kill each party member in one hit
. Quite the challenge, had to reconfigure my party to do the most damage in the first few turns. Pretty neat.

Last boss was good, I ran Alyssa for support and healing, Psybe, Chahn and Orson with Alyssa buffing, Psybe going between burst damage on hyper and heals, Chahn just doing plain DPS and Orson setting up for combo hyper damage. Worked pretty well. Psybe is probably my favorite character. He's got a lot of utility and can really deal damage when necessary, as well. Orson is my favorite for burst damage with his elementals, gumshoe ability and chant.

Anyway, battle system is just incredibly sublime, loved every bit of it. Took me a little less than 18 hours. For whatever it's worth I had zero crashes on PC.

Great work, guys!

I did have a quick question...is there anyway to
save Arete
? I feel like I may have missed something there...

Andrew J.

Backed this game on Kickstarter, only got around to starting it tonight. Having a really good time, the writing is charming and the battles are fun. In Chapter 2 right now, playing on Agent difficulty. Inspire on Chahn + Focus + Plasma gunmancy on hyper turn has been a good combo for most normal enemy groups so far.

Alastor3

Do you guys know when the ''free content that was cut off'' will be releasing? like in a few months after major bug fixes? Just want to know if I should wait to start a playthrough since I only plan on doing the game once.

So, I just bought this from EU store but the download won't start. Gives me some error code. What the hell is going on?

Download started. Must have been some glitch in the PSN store.

I just finished beating the game. It took me around 18-20 hours, got every Trophy, and ended up at level 55. I'm guessing the grind to 99 would've only taken a few extra hours, but I didn't see a need to do it.

I have a few question:
1) Is there anyway to
save Arete? I find it odd that you find a new weapon for her in the last dungeon.... It just feels like a character that should have an optional side mission/quest that allows you to save her.
2) What's up with the 2 unique NPCs in New Rhomu? Umi is in the Oasis Hotel, and Rusella is in the weapon shop. Maybe NPCs that were supposed to have side quests, but never got finished?
3) Bagmen... Do they have anything going on? Are they just there for flavor?
5) I feel like I missed some character side quests? I don't remember
Sue, Lauren, Clarke, or Orson
having one. I might be just forgetful though?
6) Planet: Araneu :
- Planetary HQ of Unicorp (NW building on the world map) seems to never have a purpose unless I'm forgetting something.. It just keeps saying "We shouldn't go here yet"
- SkyBreaker Systems (NE building on the world map)- There is a Guard blocking an elevator and he says only authorized personnel can enter. I feel like there should be a way to gain access?
- Gehenna - Is there a way to access the Warehouse SW in town? I did everything right for the side quest, but it never opened up. The girl who I gave 3,000 credits to eventually opened her shop however (before the last dungeon)
- Is there a way to get behind the Club in Gehenna? I'd like to explore the back alleys and Laurens apartment again, but I don't think theres a way. Am I missing something?

Minor Bugs/Issues/Glitches:
- When fighting the optional boss
Skeleton dude
the backround loops and you see a black bar every so often. I'm guessing this isn't intended. '
- If you return to the Fair and talk to the raffle ticket vendor it gives you the item prompt for the Clock item again.
- If you return to the boss room in the Z.Mines you'll see the boss sprite on the screen and you can walk right through it.

Final Thoughts:
- The game starts off challenging on Heroine difficulty, but quickly becomes too easy once you learn how to stack buffs. I feel like maybe they should limit how buffs multiply/add up. The second half of the game was a breeze (I didn't level grind at all)
- The planets each needed more places to enter/side quests. This isn't a huge deal, but even 3-4 more areas to explore in each would've done the game a lot of good.
- We had too many party members, and not enough time to use them all. Either cut the number down to 5-6 or just extend the game a tad further. I had trouble growing attached or caring for most of them.

9/10, one of the best RPGs I've played in a while. I plan on playing through it again with a different party set up and on Super-Spy difficulty.

To answer some of your questions...

Umi is from Cthulhu Saves the World and Rusella was from an April Fool's Day joke game announcement we did (Untamed Armaments). Neither can be recruited; they're just references.

Bagman was a Kickstarter backer requested enemy.

Skybreaker Systems is the tower that you start the game off at. You can go to the lobby, but you can't get back into the tower.

I think there might be a bug with the Gehenna warehouse not being unlocked properly. You're not missing much (it just has some extra credits), but I'll try to figure out what's going on there and fix it.

Of the character side quests you asked about, 1 doesn't have one, 1 has a character you can recruit if they're in the active party, and the other 2 have sidequests that we ran out of time to finish up that we're planning on adding as free DLC at some point.

I agree that there are too many playable characters for the game's length with the result that you don't get to know each one in depth. If we do another game, I'm thinking of just doing a set party of 4 playable characters (in fact, I've already designed the 4 characters' premises).

Stainless

I played about 2 and a half hours in my first go the other night, had to make myself quit so I could get up for work, etc. I got all my errands done early this morning so I plan to get back at it and spend the majority of the rest of my day today on the game. I really enjoyed what I've played so far. Some of the npc dialogue cracks me up, too.
I type a lot at my job so the bit about the ergonomic keyboard cracked me up

Jolkien

So I ran in a bug I reproduced in two different encounter. I use Relentless on an enemy. If I use Shield Breaker and Z'xorv goes to attack, the game soft lock up every time when Z'xorv gets in melee range.
Not sure if it was a known issue or not. Playing on PS4 Pro with patch 1.03. Party comp is:
Alyssa, Psybe,Orson,Z'xorv currently in Chapter 11.

Edit: If you use Shield Breaker even on a different target when Z'xorv attack the game locks up. If anyone from Zeboyd Games need more details don't hesitate.

Watching the GB QL and damn this looks excellent.

Clearly the aesthetic and battle system are killer. Thoughts on the story, writing and characters? Standard fare or something special going on?

Seems like I'm gonna wait till the PS4 version is ironed out or a Switch version announced. Either way, definitely picking this up eventually.

ctothej

Just try. You can change the difficulty at any time (outside combat of course)

Tried. Died in the very first encounter so I'm going with Heroine for now.

I'm just shy of 2 hours in and this game is excellent so far. The pacing is really reminiscent of Chrono Trigger -- feels like I've already done so much in such a short amount of time. Love the cast of characters (Sue is a total badass and I plan on keeping him in my party permanently). The battles take everything I love from Zeboyd's past games and make them better. I'll give a more detailed impression when I'm further along, but so far it's a job well fucking done.

Jolkien

Dear god this combat system is amazing. I love when a game gives you the tool to literally break the game. I just came up with a combo, takes two turns to set up but I just nuked a boss with 60,000 HP with a shot 104k damage. I think I can go higher I'll think of something else.

Scratch that I'm now at 199,947 damage on turn 2.

Ricker

Are there any reviews for this? The metacritic page is empty :/

There's a Giantbomb Quick look thats pretty positive,and everyone in this thread likes it...a lot.They sent review copies late so thats why theres not that many yet but if you like this kind of turned base RPG in the old 16 bit look,grab it,it's great :p ;)

Top Bottom