• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for tips from couch PC gamers

This. Also don't forget Steam Big Picture. You'll want to stay there as much as possible and not move to any other store because it's just ask comfortable to: Turn PC and controller, pick a game to play, finish playing the game and Turn PC off.

It's literally like having a steam deck plugged to the TV with an Xbox controller.

I only use the keyboard with trackpad when I'm doing something else than playing but most most of the time I just use the phone or TV YouTube app, I rarely touch my keyboard honestly.

The other situation is when I play overwatch or something that requires proper mouse and keyboard. For that I have a separate set of wireless ones that I have stored somewhere else and just take out to play those games sometimes so they are not laying around, it works perfectly for me, I don't think there's any disadvantage since input response feels ok.

But my experience is mostly using the Xbox controller, picking the game and turning the PC off all from Steam Big Picture, rarely feel the need of getting out of it and since I started using it, I don't even want to buy games outside of steam.

This is the best possible solution. Main issue will be getting on discord for party chat with friends.

Catphish

I am planning on building a PC soon and it will be my first. I've decided I want to continue gaming on my 78" OLED in my livingroom.

Just wondering if anyone who does this has tips on accessories or things to prepare for. For example, I've been told that direct connect mouses and keyboards are superior to wireless. Should I find a way to bring my pc closer to me so that this would be possible? Or is wireless fine? This is all new to me so just want some feedback.
I use a wireless kb, but everything else is wired, and I use USB extension cables for everything else.

Catphish

Got a Pic of how you have it set up by chance?
I do not but, essentially, I have an 85" tv on the wall, and I sit about 8 feet from it, on a recliner. Computer is on the floor right under the tv.

I have a mini gaming keyboard on the left armrest, connected via USB extension. I have my mouse and mouse pad on the right armrest, also connected via USB extension. I have a wired gamepad, the cable of which is long enough to connect to the PC directly. And a simple Logitech wireless keyboard in my lap.

Fredrik

I use this:
k400-plus-black-gallery-1-uk.png

And just use an Xbox Series controller to play games. I pretty much have it set up like a console experience where it launches into Steam Big Picture Mode when I boot up my PC.
What is included in the ”pretty much” here?
Never tried a living room PC. Is it possible to boot it up with the controller in Steam big picture mode? Or do you have to use the keyboard?

geary

What is included in the ”pretty much” here?
Never tried a living room PC. Is it possible to boot it up with the controller in Steam big picture mode? Or do you have to use the keyboard?
I have my PC connected to 2 monitors and the TV. I usually game on one of the monitors, but when i want to play on TV, i just press the "Start" button from the controller and Steam automatically goes to Big Picture Mode and changes to TV. You can customize the settings in steam.

5q6Hz67.png

Fredrik

I have my PC connected to 2 monitors and the TV. I usually game on one of the monitors, but when i want to play on TV, i just press the "Start" button from the controller and Steam automatically goes to Big Picture Mode and changes to TV. You can customize the settings in steam.

5q6Hz67.png
That’s perfect. I’ll just use it on the TV though so I assume it’ll be even easier there. Can’t have any Windows startup login I assume or can you get an onscreen keyboard usable with the controller?

geary

That’s perfect. I’ll just use it on the TV though so I assume it’ll be even easier there. Can’t have any Windows startup login I assume or can you get an onscreen keyboard usable with the controller?
Never tried. I dont use a password on the desktop, only on laptops

5q6Hz67.png
Love that idea

hollams

Gold Member
Sorry for the Long Post. I've been doing this for years and this setup works extremely well once everything is setup.

• Required Equipment
    • Logitech KB400
      • General Windows use. Not for gaming.
    • Xbox Elite V2 and/or PS5 Controller
      • Used for Windows navigation, apps, and games.
    • Microsoft USB controller dongle
      • Needed if you want the V2 wireless.
  • Optional Equipment if you want a KB/Mouse for certain Games.
    • Razer Orbweaver (or Tarturus)
      • Gaming Keypad that is much smaller than a keyboard.
      • Wired so you will need a USB extension cable
    • Logitech G502 Lightspeed wireless mouse
      • Most mice will work, but I like the weight and the additional buttons.
    • Lapboard
      • I sit in a reclined position in a theater seat with my feet elevated. You need the lapboard to have padding on the back and be inclined so the top is higher than the bottom.
      • I Velcro the Orbweaver to the lapboard to keep it in place place. Same for mouse pad.
  • Software
    • Rewasd - Not free, but worth the price for me.
      • This software allows you to remap your controller, Keyboard, Keypad, and Mouse.
      • Allows you to make different vendor hardware work together. I can have a button on my Logitech mouse cause the Razer Orbweaver to use a different mapping profile while the button is pressed.
      • They just added the feature to use radial menus so you can label your commands or macros so you don't have to remember what each button does.
      • I use multiple mappings for the controller.
        • Desktop
          • Analog sticks as a mouse and scroll wheel and various buttons with radial menus for all other functions.
          • It takes a bit to get the mapping the way you like it, but once you do it's very easy to navigate windows.
        • Browser
          • When I open my browser this remap config takes over.
          • All the sites I visit regularly are bookmarked into folders so I can open and navigate through them quickly.
          • I only use the KB400 when I need to enter text.
        • Gaming
          • General Mapping that I use for most games that support controllers.
            • On the V2 I map the 4 back paddles.
            • On the PS5 I have the Gyro mapped to only work when I press the left trigger for aiming.
          • Specific mappings for games that have special controls which will load when the game is opened.
          • Mapping for Keyboard only games

You can set windows to not use passwords and just straight login. You can also have Steam boot right away as in it doesn't even boot windows explorer.

Sorry for the Long Post. I've been doing this for years and this setup works extremely well once everything is setup.

• Required Equipment
    • Logitech KB400
      • General Windows use. Not for gaming.
    • Xbox Elite V2 and/or PS5 Controller
      • Used for Windows navigation, apps, and games.
    • Microsoft USB controller dongle
      • Needed if you want the V2 wireless.
  • Optional Equipment if you want a KB/Mouse for certain Games.
    • Razer Orbweaver (or Tarturus)
      • Gaming Keypad that is much smaller than a keyboard.
      • Wired so you will need a USB extension cable
    • Logitech G502 Lightspeed wireless mouse
      • Most mice will work, but I like the weight and the additional buttons.
    • Lapboard
      • I sit in a reclined position in a theater seat with my feet elevated. You need the lapboard to have padding on the back and be inclined so the top is higher than the bottom.
      • I Velcro the Orbweaver to the lapboard to keep it in place place. Same for mouse pad.
  • Software
    • Rewasd - Not free, but worth the price for me.
      • This software allows you to remap your controller, Keyboard, Keypad, and Mouse.
      • Allows you to make different vendor hardware work together. I can have a button on my Logitech mouse cause the Razer Orbweaver to use a different mapping profile while the button is pressed.
      • They just added the feature to use radial menus so you can label your commands or macros so you don't have to remember what each button does.
      • I use multiple mappings for the controller.
        • Desktop
          • Analog sticks as a mouse and scroll wheel and various buttons with radial menus for all other functions.
          • It takes a bit to get the mapping the way you like it, but once you do it's very easy to navigate windows.
        • Browser
          • When I open my browser this remap config takes over.
          • All the sites I visit regularly are bookmarked into folders so I can open and navigate through them quickly.
          • I only use the KB400 when I need to enter text.
        • Gaming
          • General Mapping that I use for most games that support controllers.
            • On the V2 I map the 4 back paddles.
            • On the PS5 I have the Gyro mapped to only work when I press the left trigger for aiming.
          • Specific mappings for games that have special controls which will load when the game is opened.
          • Mapping for Keyboard only games
Tl;dr but will later. Thanks so much for this.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Have any of you tried this?

Their wirelesss superlight mouse is fantastic so I assume this would pair nicely with it

I just connect it via bluetooth but my motherboard has bluetooth built in.
Interesting. Could you use the haptic feedback and trigger effect? (If the games support it)

I was under the impression that bluetooth connection would only let the PC recognize Dualsense as a general controller.

Interesting. Could you use the haptic feedback and trigger effect? (If the games support it)

I was under the impression that bluetooth connection would only let the PC recognize Dualsense as a general controller.
You can even set up the triggers for games that don’t support it. I used it in Forza Horizon for drifting. There’s a bunch of effects that you can set.

I think you do still need to use wired for certain games that have built in support.

CashPrizes

I found a little nightstand table, table surface is just about the right size for an oversized mousepad, and i had that right up agaisnt the right arm of my recliner. And I just do all my Web browsing and gaming in my living room on my 65' C2 OLED. I do prefer playing with a wireless logitech controller, but it is no problem playing with mouse and keyboard (wireless keyboard/wireless mouse).

If buying a recliner or table for the mousepad, you have to measure and test them in conjunction with each other. I would bet if you are off by half an inch higher or lower it would mess your wrist up over time.

Last edited:

TheStam

I have my old computer hooked up to a TV. I've tried booting into Steam Big Picture, but feels like you can never truly get away from a mouse as the damn mouse pointer gets in the screen in many games. Wish it was as friction free as the Steam OS experience. I use a Steam Controller for general windows control and it's great for it, but wish I didn't have to deal with mouse input at all.

Freeman76

Wireless is fine, i have a logitech G95 it was 280 but worth every penny, and a razer naga pro, also runs perfectly.

PC spec wise I have 4070 and 7800x3d and ive yet to find a game that doesnt run above 60fps in 4k, on my 65 Oled.

Will never go back to consoles now. My PC even picks up the settings from my Elite series 2 on Steam games.

Wireless is fine, i have a logitech G95 it was 280 but worth every penny, and a razer naga pro, also runs perfectly.

PC spec wise I have 4070 and 7800x3d and ive yet to find a game that doesnt run above 60fps in 4k, on my 65 Oled.

Will never go back to consoles now. My PC even picks up the settings from my Elite series 2 on Steam games.
Ah man, this is a great comment to see. I have nerves spending this much on a PC, but I'm an avid gamer who loves customization. I think we'll see things similarly.

Also note my edid in the OP. Do you have any comments on the cooling system, bc my friend is telling me it's not efficient enough

Buggy Loop

I went pc a week ago, also couch. My mean focus will be steam big picture mode with controler. Bought a very small keyboard just for the small task

Did that for years, I had done a high priority setting to boot Steam faster than anything else in windows and in big screen. I would barely see the desktop for a second.

Had a steam controller for anything that would need more like a mouse input for playing cRPGs.

Did that for years, I had done a high priority setting to boot Steam faster than anything else in windows and in big screen. I would barely see the desktop for a second.

Had a steam controller for anything that would need more like a mouse input for playing cRPGs.
Use this small keyboard,not the best but for my use good enough. And the xbox serie x controler
xRTXHCd.jpg

Schmendrick

Looks so worth it. I just wonder if I can manage it having a center console on my couch
Oh my main consideration is already where I will put the thing when I'm not using it...that is also reasonably within reach when I need it...that is NOT just leaving it on the couch lol
It`s essentially just 2 rectangular firm cushions( with some pockets for whatever you may need) and a hollow very stiff plastic board with cable routing options if you`re not using wireless components. I have the cushions upright besides my couch and the board in/under the couch table or also upright in the corner or with the cushions, takes up barely any space.

Last edited:

BlackTron

It`s essentially just 2 rectangular firm cushions( with some pockets for whatever you may need) and a hollow plastic board with cable routing options if you`re not using wireless components. I have the cushions upright besides my couch and the board in/under the couch table or also upright in the corner or with the cushions, total space used maybe 50cm²

Oh nice, I didn't realize the thing comes apart. Pretty much a non-issue. Yeah as one static item that's pretty unwieldy lol

It`s essentially just 2 rectangular firm cushions( with some pockets for whatever you may need) and a hollow very stiff plastic board with cable routing options if you`re not using wireless components. I have the cushions upright besides my couch and the board in/under the couch table or also upright in the corner or with the cushions, takes up barely any space.
Mind taking a Pic at some point? I'm curious based on the description

Fredrik

You can set windows to not use passwords and just straight login. You can also have Steam boot right away as in it doesn't even boot windows explorer.
Works as you said, I have it up and running now 👍

But is there a way to get Game Pass games into Steam Big Picture Mode?
I don’t currently subscribe but want to know my options when Hellblade 2 comes out.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I heard the Xbox Series X controller can be shoddy on PC without a dongle. What's your experience?

It is shoddy without the dongle, which leads to my main purpose of responding in this thread:

DO NOT RELY ON BLUETOOTH TECHNOLOGY.

I don't know why, but Bluetooth is wildly unreliable when it comes to PC, and gaming specifically. It's great when it works, but when it doesn't it is a nightmare of dropped connections and frustration. Anything using wireless should have its own dongle/receiver.

I use a Logitech G915 TKL keyboard, a Logitech G502 X mouse, and an Xbox Series X (20th Anniversary Edition) controller with the dongle. All of these have Bluetooth capability, but all of them perform better when using their USB dongles/receivers. The only issue I have with the G915 keyboard is that they cheaped out on the charging port and made it micro-USB instead of USB-C. Everything else is USB-C.

Additionally, some SteelSeries wireless headphones are great if you need them.

Last edited:

geary

Works as you said, I have it up and running now 👍

But is there a way to get Game Pass games into Steam Big Picture Mode?
I don’t currently subscribe but want to know my options when Hellblade 2 comes out.
Only if you add them as a Non-Steam Games i belive.

It is shoddy without the dongle, which leads to my main purpose of responding in this thread:

I don't know why, but Bluetooth is wildly unreliable when it comes to PC, and gaming specifically. It's great when it works, but when it doesn't it is a nightmare of dropped connections and frustration. Anything using wireless should have its own dongle/receiver.

I use a Logitech G915 TKL keyboard, a Logitech G502 X mouse, and an Xbox Series X (20th Anniversary Edition) controller with the dongle. All of these have Bluetooth capability, but all of them perform better when using their USB dongles/receivers. The only issue I have with the G915 keyboard is that they cheapest out on the charging port and made it micro-USB instead of USB-C. Everything else is USB-C.

This is great information. Very direct about potential issues that I could face. Also I already have a great steel series headset and love it. Should carry over nice to the PC

MikeM

I use a Logitech G915 TKL keyboard, a Logitech G502 X mouse, and an Xbox Series X (20th Anniversary Edition) controller with the dongle. All of these have Bluetooth capability, but all of them perform better when using their USB dongles/receivers. The only issue I have with the G915 keyboard is that they cheaped out on the charging port and made it micro-USB instead of USB-C. Everything else is USB-C.

No issues at all with the Dualsense. Thats all I have tested with BT though on PC.

Shtef

Just install playnite, set the theme that you like ( there is ps5, xbox and switch themes) make it to boot on startup and into bug screen mode and done. Coupled with xbox/ps5 controller you can get prety streamline setup.

Slimboy Fat

Guys can I ask a similar question to OP? What's a good setup for PC-gaming in bed? I already have a steam deck which works great but it doesn't play demanding games well

CLW

Save yourself some $ with same or even better performance with a 7800d3d 7900xtx

You can also save money and not lose any performance going with a cheaper ssd motherboard cooler etc

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Guys can I ask a similar question to OP? What's a good setup for PC-gaming in bed? I already have a steam deck which works great but it doesn't play demanding games well

Get a gaming PC capable of handling those games. Then stream your games from your gaming PC using your Steam Deck instead of playing them natively from the Steam Deck. As long as you have a great Wi-Fi network, this will result in improved performance and battery life.

Top Bottom