• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
FDA approval was bypassed in favor of initial emergency authorization. If she made a persuasive argument for why that was bad policy, I would see your point.

She instead tweeted "HE WILL KILL US ALL!"
The emergency use authorization came only when they hit the required amount data needed to make that determination. It was not rushed out before that.

Russia's vaccine was, and because of that they have one of the lowest rates of trust in the vaccine and one of the lowest vaccination rates of developed countries. So that was a legitimate fear. If Trump tried to force the vaccine out before the election for purely political reasons as many feared it would have put us in a very bad situation.

Thaedolus

FDA approval was bypassed in favor of initial emergency authorization. If she made a persuasive argument for why that was bad policy, I would see your point.

FDA has an EUA process for a reason. She was losing her shit because she was worried the process was going to be bypassed for political reasons. It wasn’t. The EUA was granted after the required data were gathered and reviewed and full approval came later, as the process was intended.

Pointing out that some were worried that the process was going to be bypassed for political purposes (when a certain someone had nothing but disdain and disregard for rules) and using that as some sort of argument against the vaccine now is simply retarded.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
this one only just completed phase 2/3 trials and hasn't submitted to health authorities yet, is your employer prepared for you to wait?
It should get accepted this fall

They're putting me on unpaid suspension until I get vaccinated, I work in an hospital and starting oct 15 were a bunch who won't be able to work until we get it

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
If you encourage the belief that politicians are subverting the FDA vaccine approval regime for political purposes, you are undermining faith in the system and encouraging vaccine hesitancy. This thread has had many more examples where liberals treated Trump like he was Thanos on this issue. This Amy Siskind tweet is not an outlier.

You can try to explain why it's good actually to tweet "HE WILL KILL US ALL" but you're not persuading anyone who doesn't already agree with you.

Thaedolus

If you encourage the belief that politicians are subverting the FDA vaccine approval regime for political purposes, you are undermining faith in the system and encouraging vaccine hesitancy. This thread has had many more examples where liberals treated Trump like he was Thanos on this issue. This Amy Siskind tweet is not an outlier.

You can try to explain why it's good actually to tweet "HE WILL KILL US ALL" but you're not persuading anyone who doesn't already agree with you.

A spade is a spade: someone was in office who had zero regard for proper processes and institutional integrity and showed through multiple actions over the years he was willing to disregard everything for his own personal gain.

That doesn’t mean that tweet wasn’t hysterical or over the top, but the concern was real because that douche made it real

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Good questions. 1) I am not hesitant, 2) I have both shots and will get the booster in November (I can have it now but had side effects from the first two shots that required me to take days off from work), 3) I work in health care, 4) I visit COVID patients 5-days a week (I go into their rooms), 5) My last post was about those who are hesitant to take the vaccine, 6) It might help everyone to self-reflect and see what biases come to the surface when reading posts that trigger them, and 7) people have been lied to for so long that they are scared by those (in authority) using the vaccine as a political weapon.

edited
The Covid version of ‘I’m not racist, I have friends who are black!’. Alternatively ‘just asking questions and doing my own research!’.

Realizing this has been a secret containment thread for the worst people. I thought most of you left after April.

My girlfriend's mom was able to get the monoclonal antibodies after she was diagnosed a couple week ago. She has a few pre-existing conditions, but made a swift recovery, and I've heard the same from friends and co-workers who were able to get them.

It makes less sense to get that than the vaccine. Manmade antibodies and all.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
It should get accepted this fall

They're putting me on unpaid suspension until I get vaccinated, I work in an hospital and starting oct 15 were a bunch who won't be able to work until we get it
Curious, why not get the ones that have been excessively scrutinized and been found to be tried and true? the plant based vaccines do sound neat though

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
CDC says you should only celebrate Christmas virtually. Christmas 2021. WTF?
c'mon bro, their job is to curb the spread. of course they would prefer people to stay home and watch the numbers go down. what concerns them for holidays is people traveling from all parts of the country by plane and potentially starting outbreaks in remote areas that would have never been affected. but at the end of the day there is nothing to stop you from gathering with your family, so go be with them on Christmas and stop whining ☃️

not to mention they didn't say that at all..
they said doing Christmas virtually is safer, but whatever you are here to fear monger

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Good Twitter thread about what "endemic" means, and our 4 options for how we as a civilization can deal with a dangerous global virus. Too many tweets to post here, so click through to see the whole thing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Any county trying to 100% eradicate a virus is stupid as hell.

Polio isn't even 100% banished and the vaccines has been in wide distribution in every country for decades.

Some places seem to be treating covid like a house with ants. Doesn't matter what you do, there will be some ants or bugs crawling somewhere out of a vent or behind your walls no matter how sealed up it is or how much bug spray you use. If someone is trying to get rid of 100% of insects on their property its not going to happen unless you dunk your entire house and lawn under tons of lava.

The best thing is a combo of vaccines and reasonable society (not imprisoned-like) so people have a good combo of medicine and not acting like a dirty coughing pig around everyone if it might be you are sick with covid. Life can go on. Life didn't stop when people got polio, or all the people who get sick or die from the annual flu bug.

Last edited:
Good Twitter thread about what "endemic" means, and our 4 options for how we as a civilization can deal with a dangerous global virus. Too many tweets to post here, so click through to see the whole thing.

So realistically it'll be Option 1 forever even though by next spring/summer (assuming the downtrends continue) it'll probably feel like Option 2 for most of the country once all children can get vaccinated and the fence riders decide their arbitrary amount of time has passed and it's safe enough to get theirs too. Always going to be hotspots in certain areas though...

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sometimes it seems like our life of modern comfort made possible by technology and money is really skewing some people's perceptions about how strong a human body "naturally" is. There's a reason we have almost 8 billion people on Earth, and it's not because we started eating vegan and practicing yoga.

Try a "natural" lifestyle back in the past when there was no sewer system, refrigeration, and you had to hunt and kill your own food, and see how long you live or how awesome your quality of life is.

We have a false sense of invincibility due to the fruits of modern technology, and it is so sadly ironic that a lot of us eschew those fruits in favor of ridiculous philosophies due to complete ignorance about technology.

The 48-year-old thought about her life before COVID-19 wreaked havoc and tried to put together the pieces of a life that has been shattered. "I'm relatively young, healthy and work out five to six times a week," Collins said. "I never imagined it would do this to my body."

48 years old. "I'm relatively young". Yeahhhhh.

Collins said she is still considering if she wants to be vaccinated. "I need to do more research and figure out what that looks like. My husband did get vaccinated because of this," she said. There is a slow change of heart.

"I'm definitely hesitant but I'm leaning towards it," she said.

Collins wants no one else to experience the unimaginable. "Social distance, wear a mask, and do whatever it takes to avoid this," she said.

"I need to do more research". Normally that might work, but the problem many people have is that they don't know how to do proper research, and don't know how to properly verify claims.

"I need to do more research". Normally that might work, but the problem many people have is that they don't know how to do proper research, and don't know how to properly verify claims.
I'd give anything to watch someone who says "do your own research about the vaccine" do their own research on it. Like I want them to live stream themselves doing their research and how they came to their conclusion.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Sometimes it seems like our life of modern comfort made possible by technology and money is really skewing some people's perceptions about how strong a human body "naturally" is. There's a reason we have almost 8 billion people on Earth, and it's not because we started eating vegan and practicing yoga.

Try a "natural" lifestyle back in the past when there was no sewer system, refrigeration, and you had to hunt and kill your own food, and see how long you live or how awesome your quality of life is.

We have a false sense of invincibility due to the fruits of modern technology, and it is so sadly ironic that a lot of us eschew those fruits in favor of ridiculous philosophies due to complete ignorance about technology.

1. Just asking questions
  2. Freedom
  3. I need to do more research
  4. ???
  5. gofundme.com

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I'd give anything to watch someone who says "do your own research about the vaccine" do their own research on it. Like I want them to live stream themselves doing their research and how they came to their conclusion.
iKWSoUQ.jpg

Thaedolus

Can I give you my sister’s phone number?

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

This feels like historical revisionism justified by one person's tweet (a person I've personally never even heard of and still don't care to google up). I don't recall anyone here or anyplace else actually carrying on about the vaccines or becoming anti-vax themselves until after the election - months after the election, at that.

Malakhov

Banned
Curious, why not get the ones that have been excessively scrutinized and been found to be tried and true? the plant based vaccines do sound neat though
I prefer going with a virus like particule vaccine over mrna and yeah plant base vaccine is nice, I had one from them before

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Yeah there were some monumental dumbasses back when Trump was leading the charge for the vaccines.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I prefer going with a virus like particule vaccine over mrna and yeah plant base vaccine is nice, I had one from them before

Is there any particular reason you don't want to be administered a mRNA vaccine? They're just using a fundamental process in our cells by using mRNA after all.

The problem is all these seemingly solid medical papers uploaded to sites with no filter that are there for whatever time it takes for someone to point out the massive flaws to get them retracted. Like the "whoops, we overcounted post-vaccination cases of myocarditis by 2500 percent, our bad" one that eventually got shredded but not before being spread countless times on anti-vaxx sites. And to any random person this paper looked perfectly legitimate, coming from a respected institution and with the authors having a bunch of letters after their names.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I’m baffled how there are people that seemingly are surprised by everything that happens to them in life.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

The problem is “I need to do more research” means googling ‘is the Covid vaccine dangerous?’.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
All drugs can have catastrophic side effects.

Like 10 years ago I was in the hospital for a week because I was an idiot and met this girl who was visiting her brother who was waiting for a liver transplant. Turns out he had taken a very common and safe drug and massively backfired, destroying his liver.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Like 10 years ago I was in the hospital for a week because I was an idiot and met this girl who was visiting her brother who was waiting for a liver transplant. Turns out he had taken a very common and safe drug and massively backfired, destroying his liver.

Ibuprofen (Advil) kills thousands of people every year.

Trimesh

Banned

Acetaminophen is famous for that - one of the metabolic pathways it follows has a highly toxic metabolite. Normally, there is an enzyme that quickly cleans it up, but that's dependent for it's operation on an antioxidant (glutathione) that's normally in the bloodstream. The problem is that if you take enough of it (either in one hit or in repeated doses in a short time) then you deplete your body's glutathione supply and suddenly you have no liver function.

To make it worse, the exact mechanism was only worked out fairly recently - for a long time, it was known that acetaminophen could cause liver damage, but not how.

Thaedolus

When you develop a new drug or medical device, there are like a thousand people ready to cry foul if the data don't support that the benefits outweigh the risks. I'm one of them. The funny thing about people in these companies is: they're people, they need drugs that work and they need medical devices that are safe and effective. And if they don't, their families do. I'm not about to sign off on something I think is going to be dangerous to a patient, and I've never worked with anyone who would either. I've spent hundreds, maybe thousands of hours pouring over risk analyses and risk mitigation documents and gone back and forth with FDA and notified bodies in the EU about this shit.

There's simply no way for these crazy conspiracy theories to be true, but if you've got a computer and too much free time...well you can just light the world on fire

Last edited:

Keihart

So finally did my first day of back to office again, very little people as planned but i had to go to the mall to get some clothes that don't make me look like a hobo and got a few surprises.
Despite the fact that we have over 80% of population with 2 shots, everyone is using a mask, like, i wasn't able to see anyone without them at downtown, not even on the streets, so that's gotta be helping somehow.
Some places are requesting a mobility pass to prove that you have the 2 shots at least (It's a QR code emited by the health department), but it's mostly for high risk gatherings like theaters and what not, you also get your temperature taken and sprayed in your hands with alcohol everywhere you go.

I kinda hate waiting for my turn to get into stores, but i guess is safer and kinda faster since no store is full or has long queues for checking out. (most stores have adopted digital queue numbers if you scan a QR code so you don't have to queue outised the store)

Numbers have stayed really low for more than 2 months already, i wonder how long is going to last, we are already starting with the third shot of some vaccines.

A friend got covid and hasn't left the house at all tho, what a shit luck, i hope he recovers soon but he had to go to the hospital because of the aggressive symptoms.

Top Bottom