• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
You can compare UK without a pass - 35 000 cases per day with that of France, where the pass was rolled out 2 months ago - less than 5 000 cases. What’s even better is that going back to school after the summer didn’t change the trend.

No matter how many are vaccinated (and due to the pass France has higher rate than the UK) with such a large number of cases you will have people ending up in hospital.

The solution is to vaccinate PLUS have a pass to incentivise more people to vaccinate.

Boy bawang

Oh boy....

Nothing new, and nothing really worrying. This is the efficacy against infection, but for this type of virus, sterilizing immunity is nigh impossible and immunity against infection can hardly last more than a few months up to maybe a year; however, the efficacy against severe cases and hospitalizations remains very high throughout the entire duration of the study (close to 90%), and in the end, it's what matters the most. The viral load should also decline much faster with vaccinated people, hence limiting the propagation of the virus (but not stopping it).
We will never reach herd immunity, that's just not realistic; but as the virus becomes endemic, like the other human coronaviruses, we will a good amount of T-cells to prevent us from spitting chunks of our lungs at every infection. Basically, vaccines are gonna turn COVID into another common cold. And each breakthrough infection, while being much milder than a first infection, will also act as a booster shot prolonging the personnal protection. Also, for reference, people contaminated with SARS-cov1 in 2003 still had T-cells in 2020...
I personnally don't believe that booster shots for people below 60 and/or not immunocompromised are really necessary, though I'd take one if offered (no reason not to).

What made COVID so dangerous, and so deadly, was first and foremost that it was a completely new disease for our immune systems, normally, we're supposed to build immunity for all this stuff during childhood while our immune system functions differently. A bit like native americans being decimated by the new diseases brought by the Europeans. Vaccines help our immune system being less naive towards COVID, but I don't believe that aiming for zero COVID worldwide is a sound strategy.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nothing new, and nothing really worrying. This is the efficacy against infection, but for this type of virus, sterilizing immunity is nigh impossible and immunity against infection can hardly last more than a few months up to maybe a year; however, the efficacy against severe cases and hospitalizations remains very high throughout the entire duration of the study (close to 90%), and in the end, it's what matters the most. The viral load should also decline much faster with vaccinated people, hence limiting the propagation of the virus (but not stopping it).
We will never reach herd immunity, that's just not realistic; but as the virus becomes endemic, like the other human coronaviruses, we will a good amount of T-cells to prevent us from spitting chunks of our lungs at every infection. Basically, vaccines are gonna turn COVID into another common cold. And each breakthrough infection, while being much milder than a first infection, will also act as a booster shot prolonging the personnal protection. Also, for reference, people contaminated with SARS-cov1 in 2003 still had T-cells in 2020...
I personnally don't believe that booster shots for people below 60 and/or not immunocompromised are really necessary, though I'd take one if offered (no reason not to).

What made COVID so dangerous, and so deadly, was first and foremost that it was a completely new disease for our immune systems, normally, we're supposed to build immunity for all this stuff during childhood while our immune system functions differently. A bit like native americans being decimated by the new diseases brought by the Europeans. Vaccines help our immune system being less naive towards COVID, but I don't believe that aiming for zero COVID worldwide is a sound strategy.

Absolutely right. The vaccines are designed to change us from being in a pandemic, to just having an endemic virus. They are working perfectly so far at doing this. No such thing as a zero covid strategy. You might as well try to have a zero cold and flu strategy. Completely impossible.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Whelp, my friend’s uncle died. 3 days after getting a pfizer booster. They said it was pneumonia related, so who really knows. Was a healthy guy though
Pneumonia is totally not a possible side effect from the vaccine, so likely he wasn't as healthy as you believed. But getting a vaccine while you're already very sick could be hard on the body.

Mistake

Pneumonia is totally not a possible side effect from the vaccine, so likely he wasn't as healthy as you believed. But getting a vaccine while you're already very sick could be hard on the body.
Yeah I know about walking pneumonia. Someone can appear entirely healthy, but have it. And you’re right, that could have happened too

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Yeah, the long game is probably annual shots, either mRNA or protein subunit, that will cover both flu and any current covid variants.

Frankly, I’m much more likely to bother to get my flu shot now, if I’m getting my Covid one as well. I guess a lot of people will probably be like me, and we might see a drop in flu cases as well.

SF Kosmo

Frankly, I’m much more likely to bother to get my flu shot now, if I’m getting my Covid one as well. I guess a lot of people will probably be like me, and we might see a drop in flu cases as well.
Flu has already dropped off like crazy because of masks and distancing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah, the long game is probably annual shots, either mRNA or protein subunit, that will cover both flu and any current covid variants.
I still think that this will not end up being an annual shot, maybe one or two boosters. We still haven't seen variants showing significant immune escape while retaining infectiousness.

SF Kosmo

I still think that this will not end up being an annual shot, maybe one or two boosters. We still haven't seen variants showing significant immune escape while retaining infectiousness.
The threat of variants is overrated but I think we will need annual boosters simply because the immunity fades over time regardless.

I just mention variants because they are the kind of thing that can be much more precisely targeted with a combo vaccine that has multiple spike types.

Boy bawang

Exactly. Covid isn't like the flu at all. After infecting billions of people, it still hasn't mutate enough to escape immunity; and at the rate it does mutated, considering that every infection acts as a booster shot, it is even likely that healthy people below 60 wouldn't need a third shot (though we'll probably get it as a precaution).
The flu on the other hand is a total bitch, with yearly vaccines being developed based on statistical models.

Last edited:
They say pneumonia related which means it's not directly by pneumonia. It could have being plenty of things. But often such a sudden death (in an healthy person) is caused by blood clots. A pulmonary embolism can be related to pneumonia.

You know what also causes blood clots?

It didn't have C19 otherwise they would have happily declared it the cause of his death. But they said "pneumonia related".

thats (at least) a 2nd hand account you’re analysing, in the same breath were it a PE that would be the cause of death

so before playing this game of armchair lawyer when dissecting testimony and armchair doctor when diagnosing cause of death (and just making shit up like you are now) we should get a more declarative statement

Belgorim

I don’t get actions like this - so at 29 you are at risk and then magically a year later you are not?
It is not that weird. Of course you can discuss exactly where the limit should be, but the amount of people severely affected by covid-19 below a certain age is very low. So for them the risk-reward analysis of the vaccines will of course not be the same as for older people.

Picking a number as you do (29) is the same as arguing why 17 year olds cannot have a drivers license in Sweden when 18 year olds can.

Narasumas

Interesting article from WSJ on an ever-growing case that the virus was indeed a result of Wuhan mishandling.

I’ll never stop beating the China drum. For such a global catastrophe…someone needs to be held accountable. Else, it’ll happen again.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The threat of variants is overrated but I think we will need annual boosters simply because the immunity fades over time regardless.

I just mention variants because they are the kind of thing that can be much more precisely targeted with a combo vaccine that has multiple spike types.
Generally with each booster the drop off reduces, hence why we have a lot of vaccinations which have 2 or 3 boosters and then you are pretty much good for life. If it drops to 60% effective after 6 months from the first booster (2nd dose) there is a good chance it will still be 80% effective 6 months after the second booster (3rd dose). Time will tell though, Israel data will lead the way.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

Interesting article from WSJ on an ever-growing case that the virus was indeed a result of Wuhan mishandling.

I’ll never stop beating the China drum. For such a global catastrophe…someone needs to be held accountable. Else, it’ll happen again.
There is no feasible way to hold China responsible without doing enormous financial harm to people who were never involved in the first place.

SF Kosmo

Generally with each booster the drop off reduces, hence why we have a lot of vaccinations which have 2 or 3 boosters and then you are pretty much good for life. If it drops to 60% effective after 6 months from the first booster (2nd dose) there is a good chance it will still be 80% effective 6 months after the second booster (3rd dose). Time will tell though, Israel data will lead the way.
Yeah we just don't know yet, unfortunately. But there are several companies trying to roll flu and Covid into one annual shot.

You will need to be fully vaccinated to travel in Canada by plane, train, or boat starting Nov 30th.

Take that anti mask troublemakers

Narasumas

There is no feasible way to hold China responsible without doing enormous financial harm to people who were never involved in the first place.
I''m sorry but that's possibly an associated cost. You still need to hold governments accountable for their actions, including those which were post-outbreak. If it really was a coverup, I would argue that CHINA did "enormous financial harm to people who were never involved in the first place" by allowing it happen, and by not assisting in the global effort to understand and stop the virus. I'm not saying they did 100%, as I will wait for conclusive evidence...but I certainly won't defend them either. Their actions (or lack thereof) have done a lot of the talking for me.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I''m sorry but that's possibly an associated cost. You still need to hold governments accountable for their actions, including those which were post-outbreak. If it really was a coverup, I would argue that CHINA did "enormous financial harm to people who were never involved in the first place" by allowing it happen, and by not assisting in the global effort to understand and stop the virus. I'm not saying they did 100%, as I will wait for conclusive evidence...but I certainly won't defend them either. Their actions (or lack thereof) have done a lot of the talking for me.
Don't get me wrong I think that their secrecy and their inaction at the beginning of this led to a large portion of the damage, but I don't believe an eye for an eye kind of situation is the best way to handle this.

There are so many industries that have been negatively affected already by the fallout of covid. Any kind of financial sanctions on China would just do that much more damage to the world's economy that is only just now starting to get back on track.

Narasumas

Don't get me wrong I think that their secrecy and their inaction at the beginning of this led to a large portion of the damage, but I don't believe an eye for an eye kind of situation is the best way to handle this.

There are so many industries that have been negatively affected already by the fallout of covid. Any kind of financial sanctions on China would just do that much more damage to the world's economy that is only just now starting to get back on track.
....so we will continue to let the second largest economy in the world commit crimes against the world without repercussions. I really don't understand the Chinese sympathy from movies, celebs, NBA, industries, etc. We literally have cow-toed to China for long enough that we are now dependent on them. We are dependent on someone that we don't even have that great of relations with....why? Cheap labor? Large viewership base? We sold oursleves out long ago. It's time to rip the band aid off, if this was a global cover up. I don't think we will be the only ones willing to not play (the same kind of) ball with China anymore. We are enablers, turning blind eyes, for cheap profit. Meanwhile, so are they...but they only care about Chinese interests. They don't care about the UN, WHO, Uighurs, Taiwan, HK, their own citizens, USA (and other country's) intellectual properties, global currency manipulation, global democracy, region stabilization, alliances with 'bad actor' nations, etc.

...What is the threshold? If COVID isn't the tipping point, then frankly, nothing is.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
....so we will continue to let the second largest economy in the world commit crimes against the world without repercussions. I really don't understand the Chinese sympathy from movies, celebs, NBA, industries, etc. We literally have cow-toed to China for long enough that we are now dependent on them. We are dependent on someone that we don't even have that great of relations with....why? Cheap labor? Large viewership base? We sold oursleves out long ago. It's time to rip the band aid off, if this was a global cover up. I don't think we will be the only ones willing to not play (the same kind of) ball with China anymore. We are enablers, turning blind eyes, for cheap profit. Meanwhile, so are they...but they only care about Chinese interests. They don't care about the UN, WHO, Uighurs, Taiwan, HK, their own citizens, USA (and other country's) intellectual properties, global currency manipulation, global democracy, region stabilization, alliances with 'bad actor' nations, etc.

...What is the threshold? If COVID isn't the tipping point, then frankly, nothing is.

I tend to believe the financial harm of punishing China for Covid now will be far less than the harm caused over the long term if we do nothing.

Top Bottom