• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

Hardensoul

You asked where people who are sick get those treatments. That’s where they go.
So, you don't know. My question is how do we get early treatment to avoid the hospitals, where are the guidance to the urgent care centers or your personal doctors about early treatment to avoid hospitals.

How do we determine what is severe enough to go to hospitals. I can tell you my Covid, first day or 2 when our fever hit. It felt very severe and we thought about calling ambulance. Maybe we were lucky and fortunate but not everybody with Covid is same.

Jaysen

Banned
Yeah. Exactly. People like you act like everybody has it. "Endanger everyone they come in contact with".

Yes, the low amount of people who have COVID. MIGHT. endanger someone.
Imagine downplaying a pandemic at a time that there’s 600000+ new cases a day in the US alone. Imagine also downplaying the easiest and best way to deal with the virus. Who would be that stupid?

Malakhov

Banned
So, you don't know. My question is how do we get early treatment to avoid the hospitals, where are the guidance to the urgent care centers or your personal doctors about early treatment to avoid hospitals.

How do we determine what is severe enough to go to hospitals. I can tell you my Covid, first day or 2 when our fever hit. It felt very severe and we thought about calling ambulance. Maybe we were lucky and fortunate but not everybody with Covid is same.
Folks with comorbidities get it worst (obesity, high blood pressure etc..) and after that it is totally random. Perfectly healthy people will die, vaccinated or not, and then some people who you thought wouldnt go through it, gets through it with a minor cold (like my girlfriend's 93 years old asthmatic grandma, unvaccinated)

Anyone saying otherwise is a paranoid freak who fell into the narrative.

Glad I finally got my cold, I'm done with it.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Imagine downplaying a pandemic at a time that there’s 600000+ new cases a day in the US alone.

How many of them get over it in 2 days? 99%?

How absolutely terrifying.

People who wanna be paranoid morons can mask up and isolate til the end of time, maybe enjoy their manufactured virtual life on Zoom or the Metaverse. Rest of us can continue on like normal.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
How many of them get over it in 2 days? 99%?

How absolutely terrifying.

People who wanna be paranoid morons can mask up and isolate til the end of time, maybe enjoy their manufactured virtual life on Zoom or the Metaverse. Rest of us can continue on like normal.
I knew I had you figured out from the first post. You’re a cliche at this point. A dangerous, moronic cliche.

Malakhov

Banned
Imagine downplaying a pandemic at a time that there’s 600000+ new cases a day in the US alone. Imagine also downplaying the easiest and best way to deal with the virus. Who would be that stupid?
So glad we're testing everyone in our hospitals even through they arent there for covid. It's really important.

aeae76ffff1fe44ad39de0c38efa8b8ce0ad36cacaf3f09a3f2a5ebd9e5bf5a1_1.jpg

Malakhov

Banned
Thanks to everyone who keeps the sanity in this thread, it was overrun by doomsayers and paranoids for a while, it's refreshing

I legit got a private message thanking me to express myself in this thread since he wasn't comfortable posting in this thread because of it

Hardensoul

Folks with comorbidities get it worst (obesity, high blood pressure etc..) and after that it is totally random. Perfectly healthy people will die, vaccinated or not, and then some people who you thought wouldnt go through it, gets through it with a minor cold (like my girlfriend's 93 years old asthmatic grandma, unvaccinated)

Anyone saying otherwise is a paranoid freak who fell into the narrative.

Glad I finally got my cold, I'm done with it.
Both myself and sister are obese, I have high blood pressure. My Brother in law has cancer, going through treatment and is still a smoker. We were more concerned for my brother in law but it affected him way less than my sister and I. We were very fortunate that we recovered, I'm no church goer but I was praising the lord we got through.

Malakhov

Banned
Both myself and sister are obese, I have high blood pressure. My Brother in law has cancer, going through treatment and is still a smoker. We were more concerned for my brother in law but it affected him way less than my sister and I. We were very fortunate that we recovered, I'm no church goer but I was praising the lord we got through.
Yeah it's totally random and im very happy you went through this shit

I don't care if anyone is for or against vaccines, if they're conspirationists or whatever, I don't wish harm on anyone unlike some very inhumain bastards

carlosrox

Banned
conspiracy theorist

Such a popular word these days! Real original! What you gonna call us next? Anti-masker? Anti-vaxxer? Trump supporter? What other dumbass buzzwords are you gonna parrot?

"Conspiracy theorists" were far and few between but for some weird reason all sprang out of the woodwork when COVID hit!

How interesting!

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Yeah it's totally random and im very happy you went through this shit

I don't care if anyone is for or against vaccines, if they're conspirationists or whatever, I don't wish harm on anyone unlike some very inhumain bastards
Totally ruined our vacation, I drove over 20hrs just to be bed ridden and recovering from Covid for almost 2 weeks and now 3rd week and drove another 20hrs home, I still have to isolate for the sniffles and minor cough, job told me to still stay home. But I feel really good now.

Malakhov

Banned
Totally ruined our vacation, I drove over 20hrs just to be bed ridden and recovering from Covid for almost 2 weeks and now 3rd week and drove another 20hrs home, I still have to isolate for the sniffles and minor cough, job told me to still stay home. But I feel really good now.
It sucks but at least it was only the vacations that were ruined, I know it sounds cliché but it's true. That's what is important

Really happy you got through this mate

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Thanks to everyone who keeps the sanity in this thread, it was overrun by doomsayers and paranoids for a while, it's refreshing

I legit got a private message thanking me to express myself in this thread since he wasn't comfortable posting in this thread because of it
Nobody "should" feel scared or nervous to post in here but I totally understand why they would be. What is meant to be a discussion forum quickly becomes a lynching if you're not part of the clique. We're not solving the current pandemic here nor will we any future ones, it's okay to simply say things out loud, NOBODY WILL DIE CAUSE OF IT I PROMISE!

I do actually enjoy the back and forth. dialogue when it's done respectfully but it definitely seems to be one sided cause the hyperbole gets dialed to eleven if you suggest anything outside of the strictest of measures when it comes to covid.

Hardensoul

It sucks but at least it was only the vacations that were ruined, I know it sounds cliché but it's true. That's what is important

Really happy you got through this mate
This vacation was special to us, I brought my mom's ashes with me to leave with my sister since my moms funeral in June. My mom visited my sister a lot and were there for the births of my niece and 3 nephews. All things considered I was glad to see all of them and in away glad to be recovering with them there.

Malakhov

Banned
This vacation was special to us, I brought my mom's ashes with me to leave with my sister since my moms funeral in June. My mom visited my sister a lot and were there for the births of my niece and 3 nephews. All things considered I was glad to see all of them and in away glad to be recovering with them there.
My condolences for your mother, I hope she is resting in peace now with your sister.

I'm glad you found some positive while going through this, sincerely.

Jaysen

Banned
Nobody "should" feel scared or nervous to post in here but I totally understand why they would be. What is meant to be a discussion forum quickly becomes a lynching if you're not part of the clique. We're not solving the current pandemic here nor will we any future ones, it's okay to simply say things out loud, NOBODY WILL DIE CAUSE OF IT I PROMISE!

I do actually enjoy the back and forth. dialogue when it's done respectfully but it definitely seems to be one sided cause the hyperbole gets dialed to eleven if you suggest anything outside of the strictest of measures when it comes to covid.
Part of the clique? You mean people who aren’t antivax? Omigod they’re following science!

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
So glad we're testing everyone in our hospitals even through they arent there for covid. It's really important.

Everyone admitted to hospital gets a COVID test because its an infectious disease and sharing a room with an infected person or HCW not wearing appropriate PPE in their presence can spread the disease to other patients. The pregnant lady doesn't get tested to juke the stats, she gets tested because they need to control the spread of infectious diseases. If you were really a health care worker you should know this.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

The only effective treatment for COVID 19 in people who are not seriously sick are monoclonal antibodies, which are given through an IV. Many states are running low due to the overwhelming number of cases at present. There are a few oral new antiviral drugs which may soon be available as well.
The rest of the treatment options only work in people who are seriously sick (i.e. ranging from requiring a bit of oxygen up to life support). When used in people who are not seriously ill, they worsen outcomes.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Everyone admitted to hospital gets a COVID test because its an infectious disease and sharing a room with an infected person or HCW not wearing appropriate PPE in their presence can spread the disease to other patients. The pregnant lady doesn't get tested to juke the stats, she gets tested because they need to control the spread of infectious diseases. If you were really a health care worker you should know this.
Ironic she's being counted as a COVID hospitalisation and not a nursery hospitalisation eh?

Malakhov

Banned
Fun stat

23 of the 73 COVID hospitalised cases at Montreal Jewish hospital are only there for COVID

😳😱😷

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Ironic she's being counted as a COVID hospitalisation and not a nursery hospitalisation eh?
Her admission/discharge diagnosis would not be COVID 19, presuming she remains asymptomatic through her stay. She is counted as a COVID case because she has COVID 19 and needs to be isolated from non COVID 19 patients.
Fun stat

23 of the 73 COVID hospitalised cases at Montreal Jewish hospital are only there for COVID

😳😱😷
OK.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Her admission/discharge diagnosis would not be COVID 19, presuming she remains asymptomatic through her stay. She is counted as a COVID case because she has COVID 19 and needs to be isolated from non COVID 19 patients.

OK.
No, she is counted as a covid hospitalisation and her discharge will be counted as a covid recovery case. If by any change you get hospitalised for another reason, test positive to covid, and die, even if covid wasnt the reason, you count as a covid death case.

Your 'OK' was really a great dismissal, I cant reply to that, that was so convincing. I mean who cares that 2 thirds of covid hospitalisations arent for covid really, heh

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
No, she is counted as a covid hospitalisation and her discharge will be counted as a covid recovery case. If by any change you get hospitalised for another reason, test positive to covid, and die, even if covid wasnt the reason, you count as a covid death case.

You're 'OK' was really a great dismissal, I cant reply to that, that was so convincing.

No it wont. Cause of death is determined by the attending physician or the coroner. Preliminary public health data is updated in real time and does not have access to death certificates so they may include people only incidentally were diagnosed with COVID19, but they also miss people who died of COVID19 more than 30 days after diagnosis since these people are no longer counted as COVID cases even if they are still critically ill (for example). When the death certificates are eventually manually reviewed by the local vital statistics agency, the numbers get revised and corrected. This is a common misconception that's been brought up by lay people who don't have an understanding on how cause of death is determined, and something that has been addressed numerous times already over the last two years. In the end, the real time data ends up being a fairly accurate picture of the overall number of deaths because the incidental cases tend to be balanced out by the long hauler COVID patients who die after 30 days. Here's a post of mine from last year that shows that preliminary data actually does a very close job of estimating the true death rate from COVID19:

She is counted a hospitalization for infection control purposes only, similar to how a critically ill COVID patient gets turned into a non COVID patient at day 30 (or day 28 depending on the jurisdiction) because that is the date when they are no longer considered contagious. If she was only incidentally diagnosed with COVID19, her COVID would only be mentioned as a secondary diagnosis and her most responsible diagnosis would remain her pregnancy and labor. If she had mild symptoms that required treatment, but did not impact the duration of her stay, her COVID would be a pre-admit or post-admit diagnosis (dependent of whether she acquired the infection in the community or the hospital).

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
No it wont. Cause of death is determined by the attending physician or the coroner. Preliminary public health data is updated in real time and does not have access to death certificates so they may include people only incidentally were diagnosed with COVID19, but they also miss people who died of COVID19 more than 30 days after diagnosis since these people are no longer counted as COVID cases even if they are still critically ill (for example). When the death certificates are eventually manually reviewed by the local vital statistics agency, the numbers get revised and corrected. This is a common misconception that's been brought up by lay people who don't have an understanding on how cause of death is determined, and something that has been addressed numerous times already over the last two years. In the end, the real time data ends up being a fairly accurate picture of the overall number of deaths because the incidental cases tend to be balanced out by the long hauler COVID patients who die after 30 days. Here's a post of mine from last year that shows that preliminary data actually does a very close job of estimating the true death rate from COVID19:

She is counted a hospitalization for infection control purposes only, similar to how a critically ill COVID patient gets turned into a non COVID patient at day 30 (or day 28 depending on the jurisdiction) because that is the date when they are no longer considered contagious. If she was only incidentally diagnosed with COVID19, her COVID would only be mentioned as a secondary diagnosis and her most responsible diagnosis would remain her pregnancy and labor. If she had mild symptoms that required treatment, but did not impact the duration of her stay, her COVID would be a pre-admit or post-admit diagnosis (dependent of whether she acquired the infection in the community or the hospital).

Broken leg became covid hospitalisation and covid discharge.

AVC, (cerebrovascular in english I believe,) death, became a covid death after a covid positive test. Even after a three days hospitalisation followed by another AVC.

I have seen it all, sorry, but we have admission, discharge and reason of death available into our platform at the pharmacy and what you've just said is entirely wrong, in the province of QC

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Broken leg became covid hospitalisation and covid discharge.

AVC, (cerebrovascular in english I believe,) death, became a covid death after a covid positive test. Even after a three days hospitalisation followed by another AVC.

I have seen it all, sorry, but we have admission, discharge and reason of death available into our platform at the pharmacy and what you've just said is entirely wrong, in the province of QC
Quebec follows the same ICES standards as the rest of Canada, so no. I'm not wrong.

And sorry, I highly doubt the pharmacy is accessing discharge summaries and death certificates. I don't believe you. In particular, there is absolutely no reason for the pharmacy to be involved with a dead patient. You do realize that death certificates in Canada are physical paper documents that can't simply be snooped on via an EMR?

EDIT:
If the patients stay was prolonged due to COVID 19, and that was the diagnosis responsible for the length of stay, then yes - the broken leg case should be a COVID case.

If the patient's CVA was thought to be secondary to C19 by the physician (a recognized syndrome, BTW), then yes- the cause of death would be COVID 19.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Quebec follows the same ICES standards as the rest of Canada, so no. I'm not wrong.

And sorry, I highly doubt the pharmacy is accessing discharge summaries and death certificates. I don't believe you. In particular, there is absolutely no reason for the pharmacy to be involved with a dead patient. You do realize that death certificates in Canada are physical paper documents that can't simply be snooped on via an EMR?
You do realise that the system we use has all the information with what ive mentionned?

Oh, and you know there was no autopsies being done on covid patients, right? or you forgot? 🤔

Malakhov

Banned
If the patient's CVA was thought to be secondary to C19 by the physician (a recognized syndrome, BTW), then yes- the cause of death would be COVID 19.
It wasnt, we used to give fragmin to every patient that had covid back then, it wasnt judged necessary since it prevents and not thin pre-existing blood cloths, I am well aware of this syndrome, but thanks.

Jaysen

Banned
It’s scary that some people are so dumb that they need this explained to them.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
You do realise that the system we use has all the information with what ive mentionned?

Oh, and you know there was no autopsies being done on covid patients, right? or you forgot? 🤔

Again, I don't believe you. So you're viewing death certificates in the EMR? You do realize that this is illegal in Canada?

And even if your hospital is completely incompetent and you're telling the truth:
1) Why do you think you are in any position to second guess the diagnosis of the patient's actual attending physician?
2) What is your explanation for preliminary COVID death rates matching very closely to vital statistics data?

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Again, I don't believe you. So you're viewing death certificates in the EMR? You do realize that this is illegal in Canada?

And even if your hospital is completely incompetent and you're telling the truth:
1) Why do you think you are in any position to second guess the diagnosis of the patients actual attending physician?
2) What is your explanation for preliminary COVID death rates matching very closely to vital statistics data?
Again, autopsies were not being done on covid patients, reason of death was the one stated per the hospital, available into our system. What is so hard to understand from this?

"1) Why do you think you are in any position to second guess the diagnosis of the patients actual attending physician?"
Why do you think you are in any position to override the fact that the cause of death was automaticaly covid, even if it was the underlying case, because they did not have the ressources nor the time for anything else and there was no autopsies being done?

"2) What is your explanation for preliminary COVID death rates matching very closely to vital statistics data?"
You mean the death rate that had 97% of deaths have serious comorbidities? The old folks we sent to die elsewhere with scopolamine, morphine and midazolam, without any treatments and unattended? Or real cases?

Again, my biggest issue is no promotion of treatment. We all hear about Joe Rogan and Aaron Rodgers treatments and how other politicians and celebrities recover from Covid within 3 days and symptom free. But us commoners aren't getting any official treatment guidance, if there are why no promotion?

In the US, Regeneron(tm) definitely gets promotion because I've heard about it

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Oh, and i present to you the nice little death camp we settled for them:

They just don't mention that the only medication that was sent there was scopolamine, morphine, Dilaudid and midazolam, though.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Again, autopsies were not being done on covid patients, reason of death was the one stated per the hospital, available into our system. What is so hard to understand from this?

"1) Why do you think you are in any position to second guess the diagnosis of the patients actual attending physician?"
Why do you think you are in any position to override the fact that the cause of death was automaticaly covid, even if it was the underlying case, because they did not have the ressources nor the time for anything else and there was no autopsies being done?

"2) What is your explanation for preliminary COVID death rates matching very closely to vital statistics data?"
You mean the death rate that had 97% of deaths have serious comorbidities? The old folks we sent to die elsewhere with scopolamine, morphine and midazolam, without any treatments and unattended? Or real cases?

The reason for death is determined by the death certificate, not by whatever EMR input box you were snooping on. EMR diagnoses are input by unit clerks - i.e. medical secretaries. Virtually none of my patients have correct diagnoses inputted into the EMR. The cause of death is determined by the death certificate filled out by a physician or a coroner which would only be available to A) the attending physician or B) the coroner or C) by written request to the vital statistics agency. Again, you would not have access to this because uploading a death certificate into an EMR is illegal. When CIHI reviews hospital statistics, they don't rely on EMR data. They data mine discharge summaries and vital statistics data, none of which you would have access to.

To answer your questions:

1) I determine discharge diagnoses, cause of death and sign death certificates on a regular basis as part of my job. Deaths are not "automatically coded as COVID19". The fact that patients didn't get an autopsy is irrelevant - barely any hospitalized patient gets an autopsy in this day and age, since most of them have already undergone a gamut of invasive and non invasive testing before their death and have a clear diagnosis.
2) No, I mean the death rates determined by COVID 19 based on death certificates. I'm not interested in shifting the goal posts, thank you very much.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Just catching up, was about to call out all of those obvious lies from the anti-vaxxer but Doc Guru already handled it.

If a person comes into this thread (which is the child of numerous previous threads that were nuked because they were overrun with nonsense or politics) and writes something incorrect or misleading, someone will likely correct them. If they repeat blatant anti-vaxx rhetoric, which is tired and honestly embarrassing to even read at this point, someone might make fun of them.

If that makes you uncomfortable then that says everything about you and nothing about anyone else. *shrug*

Top Bottom