• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Covid 19 Thread: [no bitching about masks of Fauci edition]

sinnergy

Ok, then let's always lockdown immediately, no matter how dangerous the virus is.

And of course, the same must also apply to influenza viruses and other viruses, because it doesn't matter how dangerous they are.

People with a mental state like you are really insane and a much greater danger to people.
No you have bright eyes , who says anything about flu, this is a novel corona virus .. and who says instant lock downs .. but itā€™s clear measures are needed. Seems you canā€™t think clearly mate .

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

ā€œAww, itā€™s so...average,ā€ she said to him in a cold brick of passion
How log does the vaccine protection lasts?
How many doses are you willing to take per year?
No idea. I'm not an expert.

I would be fine with one or two boosters a year if that's what I need to protect myself though. Not any different than the yearly flu shot that I take as it is.

sinnergy

How log does the vaccine protection lasts?
How many doses are you willing to take per year?
Depends also on the persons body it seems , so I can image some longer some sooner .. just like natural immunity for some .. I know someone who was tested after 3 weeks for research and had no anti-bodies anymore ..

Science is also learning.

SchattenjƤger

Gabriel Knight
Ok, then let's always lockdown immediately, no matter how dangerous the virus is.

And of course, the same must also apply to influenza viruses and other viruses, because it doesn't matter how dangerous they are.

People with a mental state like you are really insane and a much greater danger to people.
I just wanted to say thank you for being the voice of reason in this thread.. your posts are always factual and fair.. never fear-inducing.. just facts with glimpses of hope

I remember back when this pandemic first started and the first thread we had.. I always looked forward to your posts.. you always sound like you know what you are taking about and I appreciate you sharing that
Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one that feels this way
Thank you!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The people who unfortunately cannot protect themselves because they cannot get the vaccination, for these people vaccinated people are similarly "dangerous" as unvaccinated people.
This is wrong. Vaccinated people are less likely to have the virus in the first place, or transmit it if they're infected. This makes the average random unvaccinated person more dangerous than a random average vaccinated person. It's very obvious by looking at the per capita case loads, per capita hospitalizations, viral load studies, etc.

Also being unvaccinated does not mean being uneducated. There a probably many unvaccinated people out there who are far more cautious than vaccinated people when being in contact with more vulnerable people.
You can't just pull an unsupported statement like that out of your butt and pretend that it's "probably" true. There's no basis for it. The fact that they're unvaccinated by choice already means that they're not willing to do the easiest and most effective action to protect themselves and their community.

sinnergy

Wanting something or dreaming of something, is different to having the room to do it .. but I guess one needs to dream .. letā€™s first see how this year goes, and that there is not popping up a worse version in the coming winter months.. with those idiot countries that let it circulate and mutate faster .

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Who would have thunk?

I find this extraordinarily difficult to believe. Even at its worst Covid (Delta) mortality isn't that high outside of specifically vulnerable cohorts, and neither is the efficacy of vaccination at preventing serious disease 100%. This latter point is especially significant given how Covid infection would likely be recorded on the death certificate irrespective of how instrumental it was in the person's demise.

Barath

Banned
Noticing a lot of people in this thread seem to think they know better than the people who dedicate decades to study on this specific thingā€¦.

sinnergy

Noticing a lot of people in this thread seem to think they know better than the people who dedicate decades to study on this specific thingā€¦.
Sadly they where often wrong .. but itā€™s great they studied other viruses , I guess šŸ¤£ to be honest , I wished they would used a more level headed approach , instead of studying..

And combine that .. because itā€™s a shit show, only proved to me that we pretend to know everything.. but we donā€™t ..

And also a bit more social and aware of what happens outside of your level of expertise.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

ā€œAww, itā€™s so...average,ā€ she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Yeah but I listened to Joe Rogan say something about Covid that one time while I was poopin so I basically have a PHD now.

Also my aunt's best friends husbands tennis partner says the vaccine makes my balls explode.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Since no one is conducting these studies themselves, what it all comes down to is everyone has to pick and find someone who they trust and believe them. That's why some of the arguments against listening to the CDC are so flimsy. If you want to distrust them fine, but at some point you're going to have to trust somebody. And that person or persons you trust I can guarantee you are less trustworthy than the CDC.

I got into an argument with someone the other day who challenged me when I said the vaccine is objectively the better option than getting COVID in adults. They responded by saying "anyone who says that hasn't seen the data." I responded with multiple data charts that proved this unequivocally. They responded by saying "That data is from the CDC, they aren't credible."

At that point, there's no arguing. They are going to cherry pick data sources that back up their agenda. It's ideological. A rational person would say oh, I didn't know that, and accept they learned something.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The problems started when my wife was in India for work, she got food poisoning, and the doctor that visited her in her hotel gave her an overdose of antibiotics. Apparently that can be a trigger for tinnitus.

There's is not much that can be done, except prevent loud noises; wear earplugs in the movie theatre, and she has these pills (acetylcysteine) that soldiers also preventively take in war zones to prevent ear damage, and it helps but it's not a cure.

In the beginning I also put ambient sounds on in the bedroom to help her sleep (birds, wind , water) and even tried with pink noise... but we never found an actual cure. The hyperacusis is a lot better, and the tinnitus... I guess she got used to it after a while...

I know she found a lot of support and understanding on a forum, I think it was https://www.tinnitustalk.com

Hope this helps if even just a little, take care dude.
I suffer from Tinnitus from no apparent cause. Had my ears and hearing checked and it came back 100% A-Okay. I have an appointment with my neurologist to look for a type of benign tumor that can affect hearing thus causing tinnitus. Even if I have it he likely wont operate until it actually affects my hearing. My Tinnitus got worse when I started taking Anti-anxiety medicine. The only way to deal with it is to habituate (long term) and mask (Short term). I am at least partially habituated but silent rooms still suck.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
As someone whoā€™s defended Rogan for being unfairly criticized for a lot of this, todayā€™s episode so far isnā€™t his best.

He has a guest on from Australia and of course they start talking COVID and Omicron came up and Joe keeps interrupting him saying ā€œI donā€™t think thatā€™s trueā€ and to his credit heā€™s not backing down and is saying ā€œno, it is true.ā€

The vaccine not stopping the spread of Omicron came up and the guest said, true, but itā€™s still preventing serious illness and death at least compared to those unvaccinated and Joe said no oneā€™s being hospitalized or dying for Omicron. The guest said they are, but not as much as Delta, and Joe kept interrupting and saying ā€œI donā€™t think thatā€™s trueā€ and then said ā€œI had a friend who got it and all they had was a sore throatā€

Then vaccines came up and myocarditis came up and the guest said while myocarditis is more likely in kids from the vaccine, COVID also has a higher rate of myocarditis in kids than the vaccine does, and Joe interrupted again saying ā€œI donā€™t think thatā€™s true.ā€

To his credit, he is not declaring it and is asking Jamie to look this up to get the facts as theyā€™re talking, but he should know this stuff already.

ManaByte

As someone whoā€™s defended Rogan for being unfairly criticized for a lot of this, todayā€™s episode so far isnā€™t his best.

He has a guest on from Australia and of course they start talking COVID and Omicron came up and Joe keeps interrupting him saying ā€œI donā€™t think thatā€™s trueā€ and to his credit heā€™s not backing down and is saying ā€œno, it is true.ā€

The vaccine not stopping the spread of Omicron came up and the guest said, true, but itā€™s still preventing serious illness and death at least compared to those unvaccinated and Joe said no oneā€™s being hospitalized or dying for Omicron. The guest said they are, but not as much as Delta, and Joe kept interrupting and saying ā€œI donā€™t think thatā€™s trueā€ and then said ā€œI had a friend who got it and all they had was a sore throatā€

Then vaccines came up and myocarditis came up and the guest said while myocarditis is more likely in kids from the vaccine, COVID also has a higher rate of myocarditis in kids than the vaccine does, and Joe interrupted again saying ā€œI donā€™t think thatā€™s true.ā€

To his credit, he is not declaring it and is asking Jamie to look this up to get the facts as theyā€™re talking, but he should know this stuff already.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

I didn't watch the Malone episode, so I can't speak to those letters. I wish I could just assume they make good points, and I'm not saying they don't, but based off the lies people have said about Rogan in the past, all I can do now is listen to the episode, find out what he really said, and then evaluate if the criticisms are genuine or not.

No one is wrong all the time or right all the time, and news outlets and experts by making stuff up about Rogan that he either didn't say or framing it disingenuously hurt their credibility to criticize him when he actually does say something wrong or bad.

But I didn't watch the Malone episode, so I don't know if he was actually spreading vaccine falsehoods or if people are just saying he did. I really don't intend to watch it, I'm so bored of COVID talk. Even in this episode, if they don't move off the COVID stuff quickly, I'm going to drop it and move on to something else.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
He has a lot of people telling him a lot of different things. From all over the place. I honestly don't blame him from getting lost in an overabundance of information, but I do expect him to stay up on the data.

Liljagare

For those interested in readin about stuff, interesting studies and read on curcumin (found in the spice turmeric) and Covid:

Highlights:​

ā€¢Curcumin inhibits SARS-CoV-2 Mpro better than several marketed drugs in silico.
ā€¢Curcumin blocks virus entry on cells via S protein and ACE II receptor.
ā€¢Nanoparticles themselves present antiviral potential against SARS-CoV-2.
ā€¢Antiviral synergism may be achieved between curcumin and nanoparticles.
ā€¢Further studies must attest curcumin-NPs efficiency and safety.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Ok, I read the Rolling Stone piece, and while I can't comment on the Malone stuff, there's a lot in there I strongly disagree with. Joe never told people to take Ivermectin. That's a lie. He's been consistent that he doesn't know if it works or not.

See, this is why I hate articles like that. They pick out individual sentences out of a 3 hour conversation as proof of a stance on something. That's not how learning about one's stances on something works. And I can almost guarantee you the doctors and health experts who are commenting on them saw a clip on social media and didn't actually listen to the entire episode. That's a problem.

And as far as him having guys like Malone on the show, that in itself I have no issue with. Nor should anyone. He's a doctor. How's Rogan supposed to discern who's lying and who isn't. Dr. Malone says something, another doctor or expert says Malone is wrong. How do you know who to trust?

Even experts like Nick Christakis and Jamie Metzl have said there's just so much data out there and so much misinfornation, all you can really do is find someone you trust and stick with them, while doing your own research. And I'll criticize Joe like I did today for not doing the research, but when you're in the middle of a podcast with someone and they're giving you new information, it's not like he can sift through it all out while he's on the show. He can't go "ok, hold on, we're going to spend an hour researching everything you just said, and we'll be back" that's not how podcasts work.

People have to realize, when you have one group of doctors saying they're right and another group saying no we're right, it's almost impossible for your average person to figure out who is actually right. This has to be done in scientific circles over time with research and studies.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
He has a lot of people telling him a lot of different things. From all over the place. I honestly don't blame him from getting lost in an overabundance of information, but I do expect him to stay up on the data.
Why? He is a talk show host.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Why? He is a talk show host.
Why do I expect him to stay up on the data?

He stays up on almost everything else. If there's some brand new news story or meme or conspiracy theory, Joe is all over it 99% of the time. So, if he's not up on the latest COVID data, then he simply isn't trying to be actively on top of it as he is with other news stories.

dem

People are listening to this monkey. This is the guy interpreting data.
3rd highest average :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I've listened to Joe Rogan since the begining... I've defended him.
But the guy is retarded... and he's gone off the deep end. He actually thinks he's smart now and its embarrassing. Listening to him brag about all the celebrities he's giving covid advice to is just.... wow.

Here is Joe Rogan arguing with a Primatologist about some cryptid shit Joe saw on the internet. He thinks he's a fucking internet scientist.
She was 100% correct.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I got into an argument with someone the other day who challenged me when I said the vaccine is objectively the better option than getting COVID in adults. They responded by saying "anyone who says that hasn't seen the data." I responded with multiple data charts that proved this unequivocally. They responded by saying "That data is from the CDC, they aren't credible."
What about giving them data from other countries or independent researchers

But I didn't watch the Malone episode, so I don't know if he was actually spreading vaccine falsehoods or if people are just saying he did. I really don't intend to watch it, I'm so bored of COVID talk. Even in this episode, if they don't move off the COVID stuff quickly, I'm going to drop it and move on to something else.
I didn't watch the whole Malone one either, but I've been following what Malone has been saying for a while now. If you look back far enough, I did a debunking when he first popped up on Bret's podcast with Steve Kirsch. He's always saying the same stuff, so I assumed it was still more of the same BS.

People have to realize, when you have one group of doctors saying they're right and another group saying no we're right, it's almost impossible for your average person to figure out who is actually right. This has to be done in scientific circles over time with research and studies.
A big thing is that they don't realize the relative size differences of the two groups. The contrarian group of doctors is very small compared to everyone else. I know that a lot of people have a soft spot for the underdog or the brave rebel, but that's mainly fodder for movie or book plots, not real life. Most of the time in real life, the lone contrarian, is contrarian because he's actually wrong. This is even more so true in the realm of peer reviewed science.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

But the guy is retarded... and he's gone off the deep end. He actually thinks he's smart now and its embarrassing.

OK OK how about this, there are 3 people in that room and one of them is the third highest average math nerd lol.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

But the guy is retarded... and he's gone off the deep end. He actually thinks he's smart now and its embarrassing.

He's become a Facebook misinformation boomer. I rarely listen anymore since he's always bringing up antivax talking points and seems to have lost grip of his interviewing skills. Lex Fridman is where it's at lately.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, if the goal is to have a higher level intellectual discussion, with a fair shake at analyzing alternative views, Lex's podcast is where it's at.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

These people are a menace to civil liberty and free speech.

Do they really think that trying to force a gag order is going to reinforce "confidence in science" ? Its going to have precisely the opposite effect in the short term, and in the long-term offers a truly chilling effect on free speech both publicly and within science. This is not a rational or scientific response.

That the signatories on the list have some sort of qualification is frankly irrelevent given Joe's guests are in fact far more qualified in that regard than they are. Hence disregarding medical expertise as a disqualifying factor, (as is the entire principle of a patient being entitled to seek a second opinion medically), what we're actually hitting into is a matter of POLITICS and political orientation, things that cannot be scientifically determined to true or false because they are inherently subjective.

EDIT: Look, I'm not trying to lend support to Malone's position. A lot of it sounded kinda flaky to me, and I admit to not having watched the podcast. But c'mon guys, this is just going to create a massive Streisand effect, and above all else the antidote to bad speech, is better speech - not gag orders.

Last edited:

Barath

Banned
Since no one is conducting these studies themselves, what it all comes down to is everyone has to pick and find someone who they trust and believe them. That's why some of the arguments against listening to the CDC are so flimsy. If you want to distrust them fine, but at some point you're going to have to trust somebody. And that person or persons you trust I can guarantee you are less trustworthy than the CDC.

At that point, there's no arguing. They are going to cherry pick data sources that back up their agenda. It's ideological. A rational person would say oh, I didn't know that, and accept they learned something.

Yup. exactly. If you cant trust the organization thats entire reasoning for existing is to study viruses and diseases who can you trust? Some guy that runs a podcast? Some random doctor whos credibility is sketchy at best? No. You trust the experts. They may not be perfect but they know a hell of a lot more than the majority of the population.

Thaedolus

lmfao at that Rogan clip...he's lost his damn mind. Ari calls out immediately "third highest average" makes no sense, but wait a minute Joe's got some way to 'splain it...uhhh....

I used to really love that podcast before COVID melted his brain.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I donā€™t listen to Rogan for COVID stuff or anything educational really. Those are my least favorite episodes. Talking about hunting and stuff. I want entertainment.

Even when he has scientists on, I like those episodes not because Iā€™m learning but because interesting ideas usually come out that are discussed in a casual unpretentious setting.

The best episodes are with comics. The Normand and Gillis episode was great.

Hari Seldon

These fucking assholes act like cartoon villains with this shit then wonder why no one trusts what is coming out of the fucking villain mouth. You can't simultaneously want to censor people like you are a fucking commie fuckface and also come along and say "TRUST ME".

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

But the guy is retarded... and he's gone off the deep end. He actually thinks he's smart now and its embarrassing. Listening to him brag about all the celebrities he's giving covid advice to is just.... wow.

Here is Joe Rogan arguing with a Primatologist about some cryptid shit Joe saw on the internet. He thinks he's a fucking internet scientist.
She was 100% correct.

What was she right about? All I heard was Rogan calling her an idiot and making fun of her vagina so she couldn't get a word in.

Am I crazy or is this such defeatist bullshit. Literally just keep your head down until this wave (that is already about to peak) dies off in February and resume as you did from April/May until now. Boom. You've likely avoided the virus for the duration of the pandemic. Now if you wanna say this from now until you die, sure I guess a lot more will be getting it while it circulates as an endemic but this message comes across as pessimistic nonsense under a veil of "realism"

Loki

Count of Concision

COVID does not have a higher rate of myocarditis than the vaccine does among kids/adolescents. Further, it appears that the myocarditis kids have after vaccination is qualitatively different from that seen after COVD. Here's a link to Dr. Prasad discussing the recent study comparing myocarditis incidence due to natural illness and vaccination:

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Ok, I read the Rolling Stone piece, and while I can't comment on the Malone stuff, there's a lot in there I strongly disagree with. Joe never told people to take Ivermectin. That's a lie. He's been consistent that he doesn't know if it works or not.

See, this is why I hate articles like that. They pick out individual sentences out of a 3 hour conversation as proof of a stance on something. That's not how learning about one's stances on something works. And I can almost guarantee you the doctors and health experts who are commenting on them saw a clip on social media and didn't actually listen to the entire episode. That's a problem.

And as far as him having guys like Malone on the show, that in itself I have no issue with. Nor should anyone. He's a doctor. How's Rogan supposed to discern who's lying and who isn't. Dr. Malone says something, another doctor or expert says Malone is wrong. How do you know who to trust?

Even experts like Nick Christakis and Jamie Metzl have said there's just so much data out there and so much misinfornation, all you can really do is find someone you trust and stick with them, while doing your own research. And I'll criticize Joe like I did today for not doing the research, but when you're in the middle of a podcast with someone and they're giving you new information, it's not like he can sift through it all out while he's on the show. He can't go "ok, hold on, we're going to spend an hour researching everything you just said, and we'll be back" that's not how podcasts work.

ā€˜yeah, no, this was all known since June when he originally had him and Bret Weinstein on, was extensively debunked back then but Rogan is too dense and intoxicated with the idea that contrarians have some hidden knowledge that is being suppressed.

and the stuff about ā€œhe didnā€™t say exactly that, blah blahā€ elides the more general pattern where offering up some disclaimer (Iā€™m dumb, donā€™t know, itā€™s all so complicated, ) is like itā€™s a magic spell for dumbass fans who latch on to one irrelevant error (he didnā€™t say exactly that) and run with it ignoring the numerous errors that completely discredits them if even a little bit of research was done not just eating up what was heard

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
ā€˜yeah, no, this was all known since June when he originally had him and Bret Weinstein on, was extensively debunked back then but Rogan is too dense and intoxicated with the idea that contrarians have some hidden knowledge that is being suppressed.

and the stuff about ā€œhe didnā€™t say exactly that, blah blahā€ elides the more general pattern where offering up some disclaimer (Iā€™m dumb, donā€™t know, itā€™s all so complicated, ) is like itā€™s a magic spell for dumbass fans who latch on to one irrelevant error (he didnā€™t say exactly that) and run with it ignoring the numerous errors that completely discredits them if even a little bit of research was done not just eating up what was heard
It doesn't elude anything. If you want to criticize him, criticize him correctly. Pointing out things he didn't say, or taking a purposely disingenuously cut sound clip is pure clickbait.

There are plenty of things to criticize him over, people don't need to make anything up or frame stuff in an agenda-driven way to do it. All that does is discredit them when they do have something legitimate to point out.

For example, when you take a sound clip of Joe saying he got COVID and took ivermectin along with like 5 other things, two being monoclonal antibodies, which are like the most effective treatment for COVID right now, and dexamethasone, which is another, and make a story saying "Joe Rogan is promoting Ivermectin" then that's not "he didn't say exactly that" it's a gross mischaractertization. And complete and total lie.

I can tell you for certain that he never, not once, told anyone to take Ivermectin.

He did say he doesn't think young people need the vaccine, which I criticized him on. But again, context matters. Ironically, experts who say his podcast is going to convince his fans to do dumb stuff regarding COVID are the ones who're listening to his shows and get to hear what he's saying in the proper context. And the experts who see 10 second clips on their Twitter feed and don't listen to the episodes don't. Most people are smart enough to understand where he's coming from in the instances where he isn't being direct and kinda making basic "but what do I know" assumptions.

12Goblins

Lilā€™ Gobbie
honestly the extent of joe's impact on covid is steering a few crazies towards something marginally more reasonable. it's a non issue.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It doesn't elude anything. If you want to criticize him, criticize him correctly. Pointing out things he didn't say, or taking a purposely disingenuously cut sound clip is pure clickbait.

There are plenty of things to criticize him over, people don't need to make anything up or frame stuff in an agenda-driven way to do it. All that does is discredit them when they do have something legitimate to point out.

For example, when you take a sound clip of Joe saying he got COVID and took ivermectin along with like 5 other things, two being monoclonal antibodies, which are like the most effective treatment for COVID right now, and dexamethasone, which is another, and make a story saying "Joe Rogan is promoting Ivermectin" then that's not "he didn't say exactly that" it's a gross mischaractertization. And complete and total lie.

I can tell you for certain that he never, not once, told anyone to take Ivermectin.

He did say he doesn't think young people need the vaccine, which I criticized him on. But again, context matters. Ironically, experts who say his podcast is going to convince his fans to do dumb stuff regarding COVID are the ones who're listening to his shows and get to hear what he's saying in the proper context. And the experts who see 10 second clips on their Twitter feed and don't listen to the episodes don't. Most people are smart enough to understand where he's coming from in the instances where he isn't being direct and kinda making basic "but what do I know" assumptions.
Yeah, no again. The ā€œerrorā€ is about a disclaimer ā€œI dont know if it really worksā€ which is seized on to negate everything else said, but in context of many statements he and his guests made is not accurate to say the criticism was in error. The ā€œhorse pasteā€œ thing is another good example, he and fans obsessively ranted about that and ignored insane, scientifically illiterate errors he and guests made about ivermectin and vaccines that were debunked over and over. And heā€™s continued to platform those people making elementary errors that in the eyes of qualified experts completely discredits them as a source of information - and yet Rogan is repeating their dumbass talking points (e.g. about monoclonal antibodies being suppressed, uttar pradesh destroyed Covid with ivermectin, etc) on multiple episodes with random guests

edit: and ā€œproper contextā€ is an illusion and defensive move made by fans many of which have no idea what theyā€™re listening to. Most academics have better things to do than debunk 3 hour conversations but some in the arena of social media have made the effort - and they were extensively debunked - which predictably gets ignored in favor of a persecution narrative that absolves the object of fandom

Last edited:
Top Bottom