• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cowboy Bebop |OT| The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if it's okay to bump this thread but I wasn't sure where else it could go.

So, over in the "Anime - Black Character Appreciation" thread, poster Thick James posted something astounding concerning the fate of one of the characters in the show.

That character is Punch from the in universe TV bounty hunting program "Big Shot"

WARNING: Do not click link unless you have watched the entire series.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146817989&postcount=138

I don't know if this official "cannon" or not but it seems way to much of a coincidence given the circumstances.
Do you know how many times I've watched this show and not even realized that?

DiscoJon

Banned
Do you know how many times I've watched this show and not even realized that?

Dude, you're telling me! I've been a fan since renting the VHS tapes back in 2000. I don't know how I missed it for so long!.

Makes me kinda sad though if true. :(

tumblr_ml4vxagmO21qdfvslo1_500.gif

As someone that just casually watched a few episodes before I learned English. Did they ever explained why the main female character has a deformed body? I know is not a style choice because I've seen other anatomically correct women on the show.

DiscoJon

Banned
As someone that just casually watched a few episodes before I learned English. Did they ever explained why the main female character has a deformed body? I know is not a style choice because I've seen other anatomically correct women on the show.

Faye Valentine?

Dude, you're gonna have to elaborate more on why she has a "deformed body".

Or do you mean Edward?

I don't know what you mean, but it's entirely a style choice. She's not physically deformed in the canon.

Does anyone know when Hulu will put up the dub versions of the later episodes? The dubs only go up to episode 4 which is infuriating. I almost feel like buying the Blu Ray set.

Not deformed as in grotesque or anything like that. It's the girl with the yellow clothing, I always though her body looked weird. And I remember a flashback episode, she had a normal body then.

Does anyone know when Hulu will put up the dub versions of the later episodes? The dubs only go up to episode 4 which is infuriating. I almost feel like buying the Blu Ray set.

they did the same with another show called Tiger and Bunny. I wouldn't expect them to add it anytime soon, if you want the superior dub you might need the blu-ray. The silver lining is that everybody needs to own it anyways

@Winterfang: not sure if it applies since it's a fairly 'old' work but try to spoiler tag that.

Juice

The HD remaster looks awesome, but I don't believe in discs (or getting up from the couch to change them, or ripping discs and maintaining the files).

Is the new bluray release also coming to any of the streaming services like iTunes or Amazon?

Juice

The HD remaster looks awesome, but I don't believe in discs (or getting up from the couch to change them, or ripping discs and maintaining the files).

Is the new bluray release also coming to any of the streaming services like iTunes or Amazon?

Nice! Looks like the HD collection went up on iTunes on December 16, 2014 for $53.99

DarkKyo

Not sure if it's okay to bump this thread but I wasn't sure where else it could go.

So, over in the "Anime - Black Character Appreciation" thread, poster Thick James posted something astounding concerning the fate of one of the characters in the show.

That character is Punch from the in universe TV bounty hunting program "Big Shot"
latest

WARNING: Do not click link unless you have watched the entire series.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=146817989&postcount=138

I don't know if this official "cannon" or not but it seems way to much of a coincidence given the circumstances.
I knew about him at the
airport
towards the end but... Yeah, I still don't think he's the guy in the suit afterwards. The face looks slightly different. I feel the character design is unintentionally similar. Not saying it's not possible, though.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Well I definitely realized it was him saying he got a new job, but had no fucking clue that was him getting blasted at the end. Mind blown.

Yeah, I mean (end of series spoilers)
I knew it was Punch in the airport. I never made the connection between him and the henchman who looks like/could be him, though.

FootballFan

Apologies for the bump.

I finished Cowboy Bebop for the first time the other day and just thought this would be the best thread for it.

What a great, great show. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish.

Spike and ed were amazing. They all were.

It's so hard to pick a favourite episode or moment, I'll try though.

Favourite episodes:

Episode 5(Ballad of Fallen Angels)
Episode 11(Toys in the Attic)
Episodes 12 and 13(Jupiter Jazz 1 and 2)
Episode 13(Bohemian Rhapsody)
Then from episode 20 to the end, all brilliant in my opinion.

The animation, the characters, the soundtrack, it's just so well made.

Spoilers(do we need them in this thread?):
Ed and Ein leaving the bebop was a really emotional moment. One of my favourite scenes in the whole show for sure.

The ending though.

Bang.

:(

Not sure if I want to watch the movie yet. I have it ready but it's hard to jump into it right after finishing the series.

Overall, for my tastes, this is up there with Fullmetal Alchemist(the original), the first 26 episodes of Death Note, Berserk, FLCL and the original Dragon Ball.

Absolutely sensational.

Mature

If it helps, regarding the movie, it's set before the end of the series and essentially acts as a long episode. Check it out when you get the chance.

thenexus6

I just watched the movie for the first time. I thought it was pretty good. Nothing on the series but its always nice to see Bebop.

I don't know the reason to why there wasn't much Bebop stuff produced, glad it was milked to hell but I would kill for another feature length movie. I am also looking for suggestions, 80-90s anime feature, good action, cool characters and a not too distant future setting. Thanks!

tumm

Neo Member
This show is easily the best anime I've watched--but to be fair, I haven't watched a hell of a lot (but I haven't only watched barely anything too).

Are there any similar anime? I've seen Champloo which I place in spot #1 alongside Bebop, but nothing else I've seen has come close to the quality and experimentation I've seen in these shows. Is Space Dandy similar in terms of quality, if not tone?

JulianImp

This show is easily the best anime I've watched--but to be fair, I haven't watched a hell of a lot (but I haven't only watched barely anything too).

Are there any similar anime? I've seen Champloo which I place in spot #1 alongside Bebop, but nothing else I've seen has come close to the quality and experimentation I've seen in these shows. Is Space Dandy similar in terms of quality, if not tone?

Space Dandy focuses heavily on comedy, as opposed to Bebop's focus on action/drama with a dose of comedy. Another important part of Dandy is that the plot can end on one episode with characters dying, only for everything to return to normal on the next episode. It's still somewhat fun, but nowhere near Bebop's level, IMO.

What I'd recommend depends on what part of Bebop stuck out to you the most (the character drama, the action, the setting, etcetera). For example, I loved Bakemonogatari (see avatar) because of its focus on its characters and Shaft's gorgeous abstract aesthetic, but I know some people who aren't into character dialogues that go on for whole episodes (even though they're really dynamic IMO) or who are off-put by some of its fanservice (annoying, but doesn't detract all that much from the overall package) might be put off by the series.

phaze

Darker than Black has kind of similar vibe. 4 man crew, plenty of noir atmosphere but a bit of thoroughly comedic stuff too. Though It's not episodic like Bebop but uses 2/3 episode long, mainly self-contained arcs. Just don't be expecting much from the ending as it's supreme bullshit. I don't really think, it's anything special but hey I think the same about Bebop. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (First season of DtB is pretty well regarded generally.)

Oh and they share the same composer IIRC.

Space Dandy is great though, you should def watch it but it's focus is on comedy.

Fjordson

Tough to say really. I first saw Bebop 15 years ago and I still haven't seen anything quite like it (or as good).

I would recommend Outlaw Star maybe. Really fun space outlaw / western stuff. Though different in tone and goofier in spots to be sure.

Obrek

Banned
I love reading older threads for entertainment I saw a long time ago. Sort of like I'm sharing people's first experiences with Bebop.

Life is just a dream you know

Soulflarz

Banned
Just started this show, loving it. On ep8

shit I want this on amazon but I just wasted $30 a day ago

WHY TIMING.
WHY.

RIP me owning it.

noquarter

Dammit, every time I see a Bebop thread on Gaf I tend to want to watch the whole series again. This is by far my favorite anime series and might be my favorite TV series in general.

Still surprises me how good the English voice over is and how so many series still fail at that.

ElTopo

Banned
Easily the greatest anime series and one of the best TV shows of all time. Almost no flaws. The only weak episodes may be Heavy Metal Queen and Woogie Boogie Feng Sui and they're not bad episodes at all, they just don't advance any kind of overarching plot.

It was my introduction to Anime via Adult Swim and sadly nothing else has been nearly as good.

noquarter

Easily the greatest anime series and one of the best TV shows of all time. Almost no flaws. The only weak episodes may be Heavy Metal Queen and Woogie Boogie Feng Sui and they're not bad episodes at all, they just don't advance any kind of overarching plot.

It was my introduction to Anime via Adult Swim and sadly nothing else has been nearly as good.
I actually really like Heavy Metal Queen. I think it shows up in a good place in the series and while didn't move an overarching plot forward, it does build the relationship between Faye and Spike/Jet with them working together to get through the mines.

Boogie Woogie Feng Shui I don't have the same love for , but still think it is better than Mushroom Samba. I really feel that is the lowest point in the series. Can't really think of anything from that episode that I like, except it is followed by Pierrot le Fou, which is one of the best episodes, even if it is the only episode you watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom