• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot 4 |OT| It IS about time!

cormack12

Gold Member
nXmc4YV.gif

uLLeEQL.png

zozWwJk.png

2foGPAh.png

tenor.gif

Edit: Had to dial this one in a bit. Not well and also work heavy at the moment :/

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I fired it up only for a few seconds to see the title screen until i can play later, but it doesn't seem to support HDR? Is this being added?

Carna

Banned
Did they ever realize the old psx Crash games, didn't have this zany, wacky humor in those games?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Is there difficulty modes no?

Just based on some of the trophy requirements, I wouldn't worry about the game being easy. Each non-boss level has N.Sanely perfect relics, and to get those, you need to get 80% of the wumpa fruits and destroy every single crate without dying once.

Enjoy. Also it doesn't really matter which life system you use, since if you want to 106% the game, you'll need to do every level without dying anyway. I imagine simply finishing the game normally once won't be too hard anyway, it never really was.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Now just release it on the Switch so the wife can play it.

wvnative

Sounds like this game turned out really good from everything I'm hearing online. Still struggling though on giving Activision money...I hate them most of all AAA publishers.

Fox Mulder

Played a little when it unlocked on ps4 and it looked great. Got the platinum trophy for the trilogy and will start smashing this over the weekend.

Sounds like this game turned out really good from everything I'm hearing online. Still struggling though on giving Activision money...I hate them most of all AAA publishers.

I don’t care about CoD or anything else they do really. All the new Crash and Spyro stuff has been great.

Last edited:
Have my Crash skills completely deteriorated or is this game significantly more difficult than the original trilogy?

Its way harder, i have platinums on all three crash remastered games, but this is like endgame crash difficulty after level 3 and out, i hate the hidden boxes everywhere, stupid design

wvnative

Played a little when it unlocked on ps4 and it looked great. Got the platinum trophy for the trilogy and will start smashing this over the weekend.

I don’t care about CoD or anything else they do really. All the new Crash and Spyro stuff has been great.

I'm in the minority but I didn't like the remakes. Crash remakes have physics problems and vehicle levels all controlled worse. Spyro was more of a mixed bag, gameplay wise they were better except for more bugs than N sane had but I didn't care for the new voice acting, Spyro 3 is a mess though.

I did figure any new games they made would be better since they wouldn't be trying to replicate the old ones so closely and yet failing.

Generally speaking, I just dislike Activision's business practices.

It definitely feels more fun/satisfying to play than the older games. You feel more in control.

Turned that stupid shadow helper off too.

nowhat

I'm actually quite impressed. This feels like the old Crash games on PS1. Not saying it's not technologically superior, it absolutely is. 60fps-ish on a Pro plays great. But just that the feel of the game is more a continuation than a reboot/remake. If you liked 1-3, you'll absolutely like this too.

me0wish

If there is a dev that could get me excited for Crash, it's Toys for Bob. I hope it's as good as it looks, just waiting for a PC release.

How is this thread so dead? Anyways, some hours in now, its a really good game, flashbacks tape stuff is also great fun. But its way harder than 1-3

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
About halfway done just seeing all the levels so far, and not even the inverted ones. There's a hell of a lot of content here, it's gonna take quite a while to clear everything, and frankly, I don't know if I have it in me to get those "clear the level plus all boxes without dying once" relics. Although, I discovered you can do those in the inverted levels instead if you want to, which sometimes seems like it'd be easier.

It's awesome, I'm so happy with how this turned out. Any worries about casualisation people had are completely out the window, this is easily the hardest Crash game out there, it starts harder than some of the later levels in the originals. The new mechanics and characters are great and not overused, the bonus levels are cool, it feels tight and responsive. Looks stunning, especially at 60fps on a Pro. Just awesome. Not sure I'll get the platinum, I have too much other stuff to play, but I'll probably go for an all gems save file.

Only complaint so far is that some of the hidden boxes in levels are super frustrating, I've finished a lot of levels with 1-5 missing.

About halfway done just seeing all the levels so far, and not even the inverted ones. There's a hell of a lot of content here, it's gonna take quite a while to clear everything, and frankly, I don't know if I have it in me to get those "clear the level plus all boxes without dying once" relics. Although, I discovered you can do those in the inverted levels instead if you want to, which sometimes seems like it'd be easier.

It's awesome, I'm so happy with how this turned out. Any worries about casualisation people had are completely out the window, this is easily the hardest Crash game out there, it starts harder than some of the later levels in the originals. The new mechanics and characters are great and not overused, the bonus levels are cool, it feels tight and responsive. Looks stunning, especially at 60fps on a Pro. Just awesome. Not sure I'll get the platinum, I have too much other stuff to play, but I'll probably go for an all gems save file.

Only complaint so far is that some of the hidden boxes in levels are super frustrating, I've finished a lot of levels with 1-5 missing.

Its infuriating, i turned the game off last night and went to bed after missing 1 box. lol, really want to get all achivments in this game, but i cant imagine its healthy for my mental state.

Last edited:

AV

Its infuriating, i turned the game off last night and went to bed after missing 1 box. lol, really want to get all achivments in this game, but i cant imagine its healthy for my mental state.

All achievements includes the "all boxes + no deaths" relics in every normal level - the completion rate on that sucker is gonna be LOW. Definitely an elite challenge.

All achievements includes the "all boxes + no deaths" relics in every normal level - the completion rate on that sucker is gonna be LOW. Definitely an elite challenge.

I think with practice, level by level, it could be doable?

One thing that seems random is getting killed by enemies when it seems like you hit them fair and square. I jump + spin at them but something get killed. This was a classic problem in the original Crash.

Game is a lot of fun though. Liking it more than I though I would. I like the challenge.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Have my Crash skills completely deteriorated or is this game significantly more difficult than the original trilogy?
Jesus, really? Crash 2 and 3 in the collection made me swear like the Anti-Christ, I was expecting the Pope to show up at my door any minute, lol. That one ice level in Crash 2 nearly broke me, and don’t even get me started on the underwater levels in Crash 3 with those insta-death whirlpools.

I’d wait up on Crash 4 ‘cuz I’m 99% sure it’s coming to Game Pass eventually, but I’m afraid it’ll take its sweet time doing so.

freefornow

It's a combination of both for me:messenger_crying:
Just getting through the levels at this point, crates be damned. Game is downright gorgeous.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Beautiful visuals and it’s fun to play . Nicely done for a sequel , also the new ways and features are so good

Fox Mulder

It's a combination of both for me:messenger_crying:
Just getting through the levels at this point, crates be damned. Game is downright gorgeous.

Stuff like switching platform phases are making the platforming a bit harder. Theyre also hiding crates more than oringinal games.

Fox Mulder

you can’t get 100%+ until beating the game anyways, so I will worry about all the boxes, gems, and other hidden stuff later. The n.sanely perfect relics for each level will be rough too. I think I only have like one or two right now in the first go.

AV

I think with practice, level by level, it could be doable?

One thing that seems random is getting killed by enemies when it seems like you hit them fair and square. I jump + spin at them but something get killed. This was a classic problem in the original Crash.

Game is a lot of fun though. Liking it more than I though I would. I like the challenge.

Oh it'll be doable, just a big investment considering how long some of these levels are. You're gonna have to really learn a lot of them if you're going for those relics.

Peterthumpa

I was concerned about the 1080p resolution even on mid gen consoles but I'm pleasantly surprised with the results. Toys for Bob made the right choice prioritizing frame rate, and even at 1080p the game looks amazingly beautiful on my 4K set, UE4's TAA is doing God's work here, not that blurry and perfectly fine from "couch gaming distance". This is honestly one of the best looking third-party games of the generation, a perfect mix of great technology and art style. Don't skip this one waiting for a possible next-gen version, play it right now and have fun.

Last edited:

Fake

If the max res is only set to 1080p then you wont see a big boost at all...
Perfomance dude. And I never said 'big'. Without patches games don't get huge boost. The boost I'm talking about is the brute force usally in pc market. Just by bump up the CPU this game will remain more at 60 fps.

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned
My god this game is a challenge.
It feels god but who is the fucking target audience?
Do you think the 10 year olds who buy this are going to get anything done? jfl

Fox Mulder

I got the platinums for the trilogy, but I’m already doubting I’ll bother going for the 106% stuff lol.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
This game is an absolute blast to just play + beat but it's an absolute fuckfest of a shitty grind if you're a completionist or are an obsessive compulsive achievement/trophy completer.

Top Bottom