• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot 4 |OT| It IS about time!

Oof just done the cortex castle level. Must have been about 150 deaths!

Was kind of addictive as opposed to rage inducing for me though. Mostly died just figuring out what I was supposed to be doing, you do it enough though (muscle memory) and you get a nice flow going.

A limited amount of manual check points would be a gift from god for this game.

Last edited:

Roufianos

It really is a great game, probably the best platformer I've played in years. Shame it's not selling well but Activision didn't help themselves with the price.

Yeah this is the highest priced standard edition I've seen (or bought)...

but it is in my all time top three 3D platformers - along with Super Mario Land 3D and Ratchet & Clank PS4.

iorek21

I’m probably halfway through the game, but I’m seriously forcing myself to like it.

Was expecting a sequel to Crash 3, not Super Meat Boy/ Hollow Knight, it’s too damn frustrating, and it shouldn’t be.

And there’s also the problem of bloat, far too many collectibles for its own good. Toys For Bob may have forgotten that Crash is not Spyro, collect-a-ton do not match with Crash. Hidden boxes are all over the place, and there are a lot of missable boxes because of shitty hitbox (jetboard level in the swamp and bear level).

Also, I don’t think these levels were designed with time trials in mind, seems like an afterthought, some of them are just too long or too complex for time trials, and the deadline for plat is lower than ever.

Despite its flaws, I had more fun with Wrath of Cortex than I’m having with this game.

Last edited:
I’m probably halfway through the game, but I’m seriously forcing myself to like it.

Was expecting a sequel to Crash 3, not Super Meat Boy/ Hollow Knight, it’s too damn frustrating, and it shouldn’t be.

And there’s also the problem of bloat, far too many collectibles for its own good. Toys For Bob may have forgotten that Crash is not Spyro, collect-a-ton do not match with Crash. Hidden boxes are all over the place, and there are a lot of missable boxes because of shitty hitbox (jetboard level in the swamp and bear level).

Also, I don’t think these levels were designed with time trials in mind, seems like an afterthought, some of them are just too long or too complex for time trials, and the deadline for plat is lower than ever.

Despite its flaws, I had more fun with Wrath of Cortex than I’m having with this game.

Yeah, I kinda feel myself like this too. First few levels were okay, but now I'm forcing myself to play, too. It's just too frustrating sometimes, it feels like I'm playing end sections of guacamele sometimes, not crash. Even bonus levels are sometimes so hard when in Crash 1-3 most of these were fun. They went too far with difficulty imo. Even if I'm gonna finish the game, I'm not touching platinum nor time trials in this, whereas in Crash remakes I loved to do these. Shame. Oh and by the way fuck these boxes hidden from camera view, where you need to jump so far up it's insane. It's pain in the ass to think you've collected them all, then wondering where the fuck went these other boxes just to see them on yt video placed in the most ridiculous places ever...

I don't have comparison with Wrath of Cortex because I didn't play it, but Crash 1-3? I've came back to it so many times and it plays so good and is fun as fuck, whereas I don't think I'll be coming back to crash 4 anytime soon.

Last edited:

The levels can be very long but I completed Crash 4 and enjoyed it immensely. I didn't find anything excepts the last level really difficult. Just keep practising and I predict whatever bits you find hard right now you will end up breezing past

I never completed Crash 1-3 due to difficulty (partly inferior controls I think)

I even turned the shadow helper off from the start. This game is really fluid with its controls.

I enjoyed it more and more the longer I played. I think I will replay it to experience the earlier levels again now I mastered it... it was intimidating and much less enjoyable at the start.

Super Meat vs Crash 4 difficulty comparison is WAY off. Crash 4 isn't even hard. Super Meat is insane.

Last edited:

MacReady13

This is one of my games of the generation. It’s so bloody good! That Cortex level can fuck right off though! Died about 70 times but so glorious once you work it out. I’m just hoping they continue this franchise with Toys For Bob making more sequels for next gen.

Carna

Banned
Did this game not do well, because of the word of mouth, about the difficulty?

I was probably tempted to get this (not a big crash bandicoot fan tho) but the comparisons to a super hard (indie hipster junk) game like super meat boy, threw me off it. primarily because I don't like cheap-hard games designed to make the player feel frustrated (and I beat an game like Sekiro)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Did this game not do well, because of the word of mouth, about the difficulty?

I was probably tempted to get this (not a big crash bandicoot fan tho) but the comparisons to a super hard (indie hipster junk) game like super meat boy, threw me off it. primarily because I don't like cheap-hard games designed to make the player feel frustrated (and I beat an game like Sekiro)

We don't really know how well/badly it's done just yet, it's noit even been out a month. But there's no way it'll do as well as the remade trilogy. That thing was half the price for more overall content and had nostalgia on its side.

Just finishing Crash 4 is nowhere near as difficult as just finishing SMB. Crash 4's difficulty comes from the insane requirements on the extra collectibles.

xrnzaaas

Yeah a few of my friends are waiting for a price drop despite being fans of the trilogy. It's easy to do some math - in this case a single game is more experience than the remade trilogy. I'm not saying Crash 4 isn't worth it at full price, but the publisher can blame themselves for "spoiling" the gamers with better deals on Crash & Spyro trilogies. ;)

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I really am finding it hard to even finish too. I just think the long levels are a chore.

I prefer shorter levels in the older games, but they were probably afraid of people bitching about the $60 price. It happened anyways and the game is brutal for casual fans and tedious for anyone wanting to go for full completion.

iorek21

wait for cortex castle lol. They even put the flashback tape at the end of the level for maximum lolz.

This is the kind of thing that makes me disappointed with this game.

It wasn't designed to be challenging, it was built with a artificial difficulty; for them, difficulty = making it as frustrating as possible.

That's the same thing that happens with boxes, they're there to make hell of your life.

There's no fun with this design.

TBH though, when you actually complete cortex castle once, a second run will be a hundred times easier.

The only real difficulty is that last section at the end. Kind of acceptable since it is the last part of the last level, no?

This games difficulty has been severely overblown. I always found it fun and addictive to get past a challenging section rather than rage inducing or unfair, and there were only a very small handful of genuinely challenging sections in the entire game. 10 or so minutes repeating and you master it.

We gamers have become pussified with easy modern games that hold your hand, that's all. Imagine playing in original Crash mode where you only get 5 lifes?? And that evil laugh when you fuck all 5 lifes up? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I finally finished the story and got the triple spin. Tried the first level time trial hitting the square button a thousand times for a relic.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I guess what im finding annoying about this game is that some of the levels are just too long, and dare i say it, for a Crash game, this game has too many gems, and collectibles.

I think a series like Spyro lends more to tons of wandering around levels to find things, and hopefully with whatever next Spyro game comes, it will take alot of what they did in this Crash game, and the next Crash (if there is one) will be more manageable.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I finally finished the story and got the triple spin. Tried the first level time trial hitting the square button a thousand times for a relic.

Super dumb. No idea what was wrong with holding R2 to run.

TBH though, when you actually complete cortex castle once, a second run will be a hundred times easier.

The only real difficulty is that last section at the end. Kind of acceptable since it is the last part of the last level, no?

This games difficulty has been severely overblown. I always found it fun and addictive to get past a challenging section rather than rage inducing or unfair, and there were only a very small handful of genuinely challenging sections in the entire game. 10 or so minutes repeating and you master it.

We gamers have become pussified with easy modern games that hold your hand, that's all. Imagine playing in original Crash mode where you only get 5 lifes?? And that evil laugh when you fuck all 5 lifes up? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Remove yourself from the mindset of people who play a lot of video games. Crash 4 is still significantly harder to beat than most mainstream games, even if you and I didn't find it particularly hard just to finish. Hell, it's harder than the originals, which is kind of shocking given that people were worried about casualisation. That, and the Crash 4 platinum is undeniably one of the hardest on PS4.

I don't find it harder than the originals. Originals had janky controls, I'm stuck on a bridge in Crash 1, at least I completed 4.

This is the hardest part of the entire game, like I said it is the last section of the last level. Not exactly unfair. If you made it this far, you will clear this level with relative ease if you have acquired the skills that brought you this far. Took me maybe 20 minutes for the last section. Many games I am stuck at a bit of days or weeks.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Maybe its just me but i HATE how everytime you die that Crash icon and number of deaths pops up in the upper right. That should be something we can turn off.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
This game has turned into a chore to finish.....it makes me sad really. Gonna try to push through it but im just not having as much fun as when i started. Im not sure what it is either

iorek21

I'm taking my time with this game, playing a level or two per day, trying not frustrate myself by collecting everything and not dying.

Will wait for my PS5 to get better load times (40 seconds to restart a level is unacceptable ) and better frame rates.

I prefer shorter levels in the older games, but they were probably afraid of people bitching about the $60 price. It happened anyways and the game is brutal for casual fans and tedious for anyone wanting to go for full completion.

People look at Nintendo and think it's easy to produce full priced bing bing wahoos by the dozens and sell them at breakneck pace, but they don't appreciate the art in it. Crash 4 (and Nitro-Fueled) feels really overstuffed, while Nintendo games usually are just about rightly stuffed.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Git gud.

Don't see how it is offensive, it is just a little icon in the corner letting you know how many times you fucked up.

I didn't say it was offensive, i just dont care to have the devs laugh in my face. Oh look the usual "GiT GuD" response when you have nothing constructive to add. Ive finished all the Dark Souls games, and Bloodborne multiple times, not to mention all the classic Crash games so my "GuDnEsS" isn't the issue.

Last edited:
I didn't say it was offensive, i just dont care to have the devs laugh in my face. Oh look the usual "GiT GuD" response when you have nothing constructive to add. Ive finished all the Dark Souls games, and Bloodborne multiple times, not to mention all the classic Crash games so my "GuDnEsS" isn't the issue.

There is literally no issue here.

You only notice it because you are dying so much, so your GuDnEsS is the issue I'm afraid. it's a small icon in the corner, who gives a shit.

If it bothers you so much switch to the retro mode so the lives count down the way and you need to restart the level from scratch every time you die 5 times.

No? Thought not :messenger_tears_of_joy:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Ok, so i noticed something last night. I just got the last of the masks i need as part of the story and got the trophy and that was where i stopped for the night. When i went to the trophy list, that trophy is listed as Rare with only like 30 something percent of people getting it.

So to me that means alot of people started the game and quit before ever getting that far, either from boredom or because they feel the game is too hard i guess.

bucyou

beat it over the weekend

fuck you to-

stone jumping on n.trophy boss
last part of cortex castle
the lava slidejump part of one of the dino levels

did the timelines as well, which judging by trophy percentage, not very many have.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
This game is such a chore....cant put my finger on what it is. Ive come so far already that id hate to stop playing but im seriously not feeling it

Top Bottom