• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa 3 The End of Hope's Peak Academy |OT| Nagito Komaeda's Wild Ride Part Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Juzo never actually died, he somehow managed to just pass out. They recovered him at the end and patched him the fuck up and probably got him one of those robohands Nagito somehow has. He then talks shit out with Munakata who is able to get over his serial killer ex and they live happily ever after. DR3 will hopefully never factor into anything ever again so this might as well be canon and 800% true.
This is now canon.

Yeah, Mitarai is easily the most responsible. But he was also the villain so I kind of don't feel as irritated by him, if that makes sense. Whereas with Juzo I'd have thought after maybe the third or forth child genocide the dude might have thought "you know what, maybe potentially losing my best friend is an alright risk to take if it means I get to stop standing in piles of baby corpses'.

I agree with Seiko and Ruruka though. It's a shame they had nothing to do with anything, since there would probably be a pretty good dynamic there if they had the chance to flesh it out more.
Well, I'd say when Juzo gave in to Junko's blackmail, he probably didn't think this was the start of an event that would engulf the whole world. I'm not saying he made the right choice (he didn't) but at least I could understand where it was coming from. And as a character, he was consistent throughout the whole show. And him living would give a character that does share responsibility the opportunity to actually make amends. (As opposed to Ryota, who's "punishment" is that he gets to sail to a tropical island with his class. Yeah, he's gonna be branded a criminal, but he was alone to begin with, so it's a net gain for him.)

And we have to remember that this series has a serial killer as one of the good guys (Toko), with absolutely no repercussions for that, so I'm good with Juzo getting an opportunity to be involved in the rebuilding of the world.

Eumi

This is now canon.

Well, I'd say when Juzo gave in to Junko's blackmail, he probably didn't think this was the start of an event that would engulf the whole world. I'm not saying he made the right choice (he didn't) but at least I could understand where it was coming from. And as a character, he was consistent throughout the whole show. And him living would give a character that does share responsibility have the opportunity to actually make amends. (As opposed to Ryota who's "punishment" is that he gets to sail to a tropical island with his class. Yeah, he's gonna be branded a criminal, but he was alone to begin with, so it's a net gain for him.)

And we have to remember that this series has a serial killer as one of the good guys (Toko), with absolutely no repercussions for that, so I'm okay with Juzo getting an opportunity to be involved in the rebuilding of the world.
I get that, although I feel I should point out that I have no problems with him giving into the blackmail, I have problems accepting that he didn't say "Junko did it" to Munakata after over 1000 people committed suicide. Like, that just means that he would rather thousands die than be forced out of the closet.

I guess you could argue that he felt guilty and didn't want to admit that, but then all his attempts to kill anyone become hypocritical, which to me makes him even less deserving of living.

What really annoys me is that while Juzo fucked up a lot of times, it was never out of senseless malice. It was kinda dumb how badly he wanted to kill Makoto and pals, but he at least never actually did it and ended up saving his life in the end. But they kill him off anyway because drama. I agree he definitely should've survived and be able to take responsibility for his mistakes beyond just dying for them. Him not telling on Junko after shit goes to shit is more the writing's fault than his own, imo.

Meanwhile, the whole SDR2 cast survives just fine. Not only that, but their bodies and personalities are back to pre-despair. And they've been absolved of all responsibility for their actions (mass murder and who knows what else) because lol brainwashing and don't worry everyone was a good person all along. Cop out. Hell, she might not have survived, but Chisa ended up remembered very fondly by both Munakata and class 77, despite having manipulated both of them to their downfall and casually murdering several children along the way. But lol brainwashing, who cares. She was also a good person all along. Mitarai also gets off really fucking easy considering what he did.

Terrible writing. Terrible bad awful no good writing.

I get that, although I feel I should point out that I have no problems with him giving into the blackmail, I have problems accepting that he didn't say "Junko did it" to Munakata after over 1000 people committed suicide. Like, that just means that he would rather thousands die than be forced out of the closet.

I guess you could argue that he felt guilty and didn't want to admit that, but then all his attempts to kill anyone become hypocritical, which to me makes him even less deserving of living.
He definitely felt guilty, he was maiming his hands against the wall over it, but by that point it was too late. He made a horrible choice, and decided that the only way to fix it was to help Kyosuke rid the world of despair. (aka Kyosuke's "kill everyone" deal.) He should of told Kyosuke, I don't dispute that at all, I just understand why he didn't, and I think his character arc is still one of the only aspects to come out of DR3 that has any particular interest. So if Spike Chunsoft is saying he might still be alive, I'm gonna go with that, because otherwise, most of it just feels like a wash to me.

What really annoys me is that while Juzo fucked up a lot of times, it was never out of senseless malice. It was kinda dumb how badly he wanted to kill Makoto and pals, but he at least never actually did it and ended up saving his life in the end. But they kill him off anyway because drama. I agree he definitely should've survived and be able to take responsibility for his mistakes beyond just dying for them. Him not telling on Junko after shit goes to shit is more the writing's fault than his own, imo.
Well, he's officially ambiguous, direct from Spike Chunsoft, so just go with what feels best IMO.

I'm not sure of Kodaka has any plans to further use this continuity, so after Killer Killer and the Nagito OVA are done, we might not ever get any more answers.

NEO0MJ

He definitely felt guilty, he was maiming his hands against the wall over it, but by that point it was too late.

I think Eumi meant after the suicides he could have warned the school, considering Junko was still with her classmates. Yes it was too late to stop memes at that point but they still could have captured the mastermind and got valuable Intel.

I think Eumi meant after the suicides he could have warned the school, considering Junko was still with her classmates. Yes it was too late to stop memes at that point but they still could have captured the mastermind and got valuable Intel.
Yes, but that would of meant he had to admit to Kyosuke that he was partially responsible. So he would of taken the fall for it, and lost Kyosuke, who he is obsessively devoted to. It makes sense to me that faced with that situation, he would chose to follow Kyosuke and help him rid the world of despair by his hand. The idea of losing him was too much to bear.

Juzo is one of the characters that was actually driven to despair by Junko's machinations, (a different type of despair, but despair none the same) as opposed to WHOA BRAINWASHED, so in a world where the main crux is Hope vs. Despair, I'd like to see some of that hope actually come into play in a situation that's far more nuanced than "magical anime made me do it".

Gradon

I wouldn't take what the Facebook PR guy says as gospel. But I mean, it can be disputed.
I'm still not over how they killed all the interesting characters.

NEO0MJ

Yes, but that would of meant he had to admit to Kyosuke that he was partially responsible. So he would of taken the fall for it, and lost Kyosuke, who he is obsessively devoted to. It makes sense to me that faced with that situation, he would chose to follow Kyosuke and help him rid the world of despair by his hand. The idea of losing him was too much to bear.

At that point he should have stopped being selfish and actually did something. How could he even sleep at night?
Hugging a Narukami body pillow.

But I don't blame him for that but rather the circumstances of the series. No matter what Junko had to win or it would render everything that happened in DR 1&2 impossible.

People are actually taking "Hey it could happen!" as confirmation? lol, Juzo is dead. You seriously think with that saccharine ending they wouldn't have shown him surviving if that was the actual intention? I'll wait for Kodaka or some other official written source for confirmation over an English PR account.

People are actually taking "Hey it could happen!" as confirmation? lol, Juzo is dead. You seriously think with that saccharine ending they wouldn't have shown him surviving if that was the actual intention? I'll wait for Kodaka or some other official written source for confirmation over an English PR account.
It's the only official statement regarding him, there is nothing else to go on.

Feel free to take it with as much salt as you like, but until further notice, it's what we've got.

Edit: Or not.

PK Gaming

It's the only official statement regarding him, there is nothing else to go on.

Feel free to take it with as much salt as you like, but until further notice, it's what we've got.

Official statement? Hours Left, please!

It's literally a throwaway line from someone who had nothing to do with the development of the anime (and it's been removed...?). There is nothing official about it! It doesn't even make sense from a narrative standpoint either. Unless there's a medicine for reviving people who died from blood loss, but even DR3 wouldn't stoop that low....

Does it really matter, though? DR3 is a garbage show with no respect for its source material that'll (hopefully) never be relevant to the series again. If people wanna believe that this one character survives and take that post as a suggestion that it's possible, then that should be just fine.

Juzo wouldn't have appeared in Hope anyway. It was too busy undoing every single twist from SDR2 in order to give its cast the most unreasonably positive ending possible to care about even Munakata beyond giving him his "I must go, my planet needs me" moment.

It's literally a throwaway line from someone who had nothing to do with the development of the anime (and it's been removed...?). There is nothing official about it! It doesn't even make sense from a narrative standpoint either. Unless there's a medicine for reviving people who died from blood loss, but even DR3 wouldn't stoop that low....

A wizard did it.

I just checked and it has been removed, so perhaps it wasn't legit. I was going off the source they sited. I apologize if it was an error. (I updated the initial post.)

Either way, it was still ambiguous enough that they could change their minds if they wanted to IMO. I'd still prefer if Juzo would of lived, as I think that would of been a more interesting outcome. As for "stooping that low", considering some of the other developments of DR3, it's not out of the question.

Eumi

You know what the moment I knew that DR3 was gonna run back DR2 to give everyone a happy ending was?

When Sonia recognised Kazuichi. I mean come on, how is that in any way believable?

PK Gaming

I just checked and it has been removed, so perhaps it wasn't legit. I was going off the source they sited. I apologize if it was an error. (I updated the initial post.)

Either way, it was still ambiguous enough that they could change their minds if they wanted to IMO. I'd still prefer if Juzo would of lived, as I think that would of been a more interesting outcome. As for "stooping that low", considering some of the other developments of DR3, it's not out of the question.

There wasn't anything particularly ambiguous about how he died though. He had one last dying message after his triumphant heroic moment. It's a pretty standard set up.

Headcanons are one thing but... I just don't see there being even a remote chance of his survival.

There wasn't anything particularly ambiguous about how he died though. He had one last dying message after his triumphant heroic moment. It's a pretty standard set up.

Headcanons are one thing but... I just don't see there being even a remote chance of his survival.
I agree that the intended effect of that scene was to give him a heroic climax to his arc, but in the world of DR, I do think there's room for doubt in his case.

I'd like to see Kodaka address it directly, if he ever decides to speak to the events of DR3.

PK Gaming

I agree that the intended effect of that scene was to give him a heroic climax to his arc, but in the world of DR, I do think there's room for doubt in his case.

I'd like to see Kodaka address it directly, if he ever decides to speak to the events of DR3.

You're setting yourself up for way too much Despair.

nsfw414.gif

Let it go and move on.

NEO0MJ

He's dead, Hours. Let it go, and move on.

NEO0MJ

Based on his design I thought you'd like him more ;p

Though yeah, he was a rather weak prosecutor. His catchphrase stuck with me, though.

If I have to hear him do his lame Kura'inese sermon again in AA7, I'm gonna scream.

His theme song is okay, though not even in the same ballpark as the others.

I lean toward the accidental Bandai prediction thing being true because of Ruruka's strawberry hat plus IIRC he did say the deer and dolphin thing when they panned over the base and its reflection in the first ep.

Not sure if all of those readings are 100% correct, though. I still reject the idea that Ruruka's candy didn't work because Juzo was gay.

Kodaka probably should've had Hiro say those things as part of some seemingly bogus predictions, as that feels more in his wheelhouse, but I guess they had to give Bandai something other than being a racial stereotype with a "hilariously" high voice.

Then do your lungs of iron exercises as he's coming for sure in the sequel.
Oh, I don't doubt it. But thankfully he most likely won't be the main prosecutor. (Klavier is a way better rival for Apollo anyway, even though I'm sure he's secretly a defense attorney.)

Repeat after me Hours

"I'M HOURS LEFT AND I'M FINE!"

apollo-deskslam%28a%29.gif
My friend does a much better Apollo impression than I ever could.

I finished it all and I've come to the conclusion that Kirigiri is basically an Ultimate Highschool level Batman. Detective / Chemist sealed the deal for me.

Finally getting around to watching the last two episodes. I guess Tengan setting up Mitarai to bee the Ultimate Forced Hope makes thematic sense? Why was he so insistent on protecting Makoto if he wasn't at all relevant to the plot?

I mean, I do think it sort of parallels nicely Manakuta's arc of realizing he can't impose his 'end despair' ideology on people, but it could've deeeefinitely been handled better. I really do hope he was forced to do this because he didn't wanna set another game around Hope's Peak.

I didn't mind the recap at the end of Future 24 too much, Junko kinda reminded me of Head!Joker from Arkham Knight there. Though at this point I've kinda embraced the trash.

Wait what the fuck? What the fuck is with all these Randos that popped up to fight the 77th Class?

Oh my god this is hilariously, this is like the most crassly upbeat way they could've ended Hope's Peak Saga.

JulianImp

Just in case anyone happens to be around, there's a mini-DR3 anime expo going on until the 10th in Osaka, and they've got a couple cool things in there, like character concepts of everyone in the 77th class as remnants of despair and some of the characters of future side as well. You aren't allowed to take pictures of the concept art, but there's a life-sized Class Trial set (with three stands and a Monokuma plushie sitting in the back) you can take pictures in, as well as some mechandise.

The place is one or two blocks east from Namba Station (and the Namba City building), on a smaller street (not the avenue) that runs north-to-south and has an Animate, Kotobukiya, a Super Potato with a Solid Snake statue at its entrance, and lots of other stores selling anime goods and electronics. It's a small showcase, but it's free and definitely worth checking out if you're into the show.

Jonnax

Honestly the week-to-week discussion made the anime much more enjoyable than it has any right to be.

Yeah. I would have given up on it half way through otherwise. Really enjoyed the thread here.

Though it reminded me why I don't like anime thesedays. I just find 'fanservice' lame and it looks like DR2 with the Mikan thing and this anime doesn't really inspire confidence in the next game in terms of lame fanservice.

JulianImp

Yeah. I would have given up on it half way through otherwise. Really enjoyed the thread here.

Though it reminded me why I don't like anime thesedays. I just find 'fanservice' lame and it looks like DR2 with the Mikan thing and this anime doesn't really inspire confidence in the next game in terms of lame fanservice.

Then there was the other kind of awful fanservice, with having the whole 77th class sand Chiake come back exactly like they were at the start of DR2 and doing the one thing they were known for in the game. Oh, and bringing Kirigiri back because she was in a coma, and Mikan happened to ultimate nurse her back from it because fuck it, she's an ultimate.

DR3 should honestly do the Poochie and die on the way back to its home planet. A two-cour despair side to actually elaborate Junko's machinations rather than relying on brainwashing anime would've probably been better, but of course that wouldn't have helped wrap the plot up for the incoming reboot. Then again, I sincerely hope Junko stays the hell away from the series going forward, because she was an entertaining character and all, but when you have to write the whole cast as a bunch of incompetent fools in order to make her look good, then you sure aren't doing things right.

caliph95

Then there was the other kind of awful fanservice, with having the whole 77th class sand Chiake come back exactly like they were at the start of DR2 and doing the one thing they were known for in the game. Oh, and bringing Kirigiri back because she was in a coma, and Mikan happened to ultimate nurse her back from it because fuck it, she's an ultimate.

DR3 should honestly do the Poochie and die on the way back to its home planet. A two-cour despair side to actually elaborate Junko's machinations rather than relying on brainwashing anime would've probably been better, but of course that wouldn't have helped wrap the plot up for the incoming reboot. Then again, I sincerely hope Junko stays the hell away from the series going forward, because she was an entertaining character and all, but when you have to write the whole cast as a bunch of incompetent fools in order to make her look good, then you sure aren't doing things right.

The anime made itself completely pointless, so it just easy to ignore. Especially since there was really nothing meaningful added to the lore and the shit it added we would have been better of without it. You can easily just play the games and ignore the anime and you wouldn't miss anything.

Also, I watched my girlfriend stream Danganronpa, and I'll just say, the writing's always been kinda crap; the game's strong points are definitely not the quality of the writing.

Granted, DR3 really fucked with the lore a lot in ways that 2 and AE did not, but I think that DR3's biggest flaw was partly just the product of the DR veneer wearing off. The more you explain something, the more it inevitably kinda is blah.

My biggest takeaway from DR3, flaws-wise, has been:

1. By including all of the original cast that survived, you create an expectation that they all survive and that some die. The thing is, the writer chose both, seemingly wanting to keep both sides on this issue happy. What he fails to realize is that both sides feel cheated by these damned fakeouts.

2. Ultimately, there was no theming or meaning to any of the NGs. I mean there were, individually, but it just felt incomplete, and at times, it felt like it was bad writing. Koichi opened his hand to save Kyoko? That felt set up, but that's literally impossible to have set up because there are a lot of dominoes to set up for it to happen. The most blatant one is Kyoko dying if Makoto lives to the fourth day, echoing him saving her in the first game. And why did Tengan have such an inconvenient NG? Was he so stupid that he would set himself up with an NG like that?

3. Speaking of Tengan, why the hell did he want to save Makoto? What motivation would he have had to do so? At first I had the inkling that he was verifying Munakata's theory, but now it turns out that his reasons were... nothing. Makoto dying would have benefited his plan explicitly!

4. And speaking of his plan, why was Ryota there? It's implied that he wasn't supposed to be, but the show does not explain why he showed up. They literally could have just said "Chisa invited Ryota" and that'd be it.

5. Why was Miaya such a nothing character? I get why in the literal sense - she died - but it was such a wasted opportunity. Making her be one of the masterminds would have been neat, and ultimately, it would have made sense if she was one given that she had all of the NGs. Plus, how the FUCK did a recording hack her? That's a literal plothole, nothing in the show explains it (unless I'm mistaken and that part wasn't a recording).

6. Munakata either should have left with Class 77 (since he too had fallen prey to despair) or atoned through suicide. Him walking the Earth is... blah.

7. That Nagito was not involved in ANY way in the ultimate final plot of Danganronpa besides being a supporting character makes me feel cheated as a Danganronpa fan. There was SO much setup! Danganronpa 2 showed a person who, before he was ever Ultimate Despair, was twisted, demented, scheming, and sort of evil. It made us intrigued to see what more he could do. We eventually saw this in Another Episode - bad game, but good Nagito (and good Toko). In reality, he was the main villain of AE. Monaca may be the main villain essentially, and Alter Ego Junko may be pulling strings on both ends, but Nagito is playing some fucking 11D chess. We then leave off with him plotting to create the next Junko. In Despair, we get to see more of Nagito's shenanigans in the fourth episode, and even more in future episodes. He's the most important member of 77 besides Chiaki, and thus we are waiting desperately to see what crazy scheme he has up his sleeves. And as Hope rolls along, we find out that it ain't shit. He's JUST reformed. You couldn't even have him come in to thwart his plans, to show that he's grown out of his insanity for hope after having been enlightened by Hajiru being above it all. Shit, not even a line showing that he had finally seen a clashing of two hopes.

8. They go so crazy with the fanservice in the final episode, and they couldn't even give us a scene where Kazuichi finishes Mecha Chiaki!

Wouldn't it be really stupid if they made a pointless anime sequel to DR that only serves to tank all of SDR2's dramatic tension? I sure am glad that never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom