• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls Review Thread

ChrisD

... i didn't know this was coming out so soon! i think i got it and persona 4 dancing's release dates mixed up.
i gotta hurry and finish the OT now.

I know that's what happened with me. Kept mixing them up earlier in the year. By this month I had them both pinned as late September for some reason.

Bladenic

I wasn't passing judgement; I meant it's literally ironic that she's your favorite among the DR1 cast because of the subsequent games.

I could just spoiler mark what I mean since it's not really a spoiler, but it's probably best to keep that stuff to a minimum when DR:AE isn't even out yet.

Oh I see! Well damn, now I'm really aching to play UDG and finish 2. I hope it's nothing bad :(

Jazzem

Can't wait for this :D Finished DR2 a couple of weeks back so I'm all ready.

For those who've played it; does the game run at the Vita's native resolution? Drives me nuts when games on the system don't. Also, are we talking a constant 30fps kind of frame rate?

FluxWaveZ

Also, are we talking a constant 30fps kind of frame rate?

There are some rare frame rate drops, most noticeably at the start of the game during a certain "the world is messed up + explosions" segment, when there are a whole lot of enemies on the screen, or sometimes when you angle the camera towards Komaru in a certain way, in certain areas. The frame rate is usually fine, though.

Nesther

Ugh, for some reason Best Buy doesn't allow store pick up on this one, so it's either wait until the 3rd of September or pay 11 bucks for expedited shipping?

Thoraxes

Ugh, for some reason Best Buy doesn't allow store pick up on this one, so it's either wait until the 3rd of September or pay 11 bucks for expedited shipping?
You don't have free shipping as an option? Maybe it's because I have GCU or something, but with the free shipping I've always gotten my games on release date. When I place my orders it also always says, "Order now and get it by release date: Month Date, Year".

Isotope

Really? That's odd; the last time I chose the free shipping option from Best Buy (This was for Majora's Mask 3D), it arrived on release date and everything. Same with Bravely Default a while ago. Hoping the game does arrive on the 1st from BB, since they've been good on this for a while.

Edit: Or like Thoraxes said, maybe it has something to do with having GCU?

Nesther

Really? That's odd; the last time I chose the free shipping option from Best Buy (This was for Majora's Mask 3D), it arrived on release date and everything. Same with Bravely Default a while ago. Hoping the game does arrive on the 1st from BB, since they've been good on this for a while.

Edit: Or like Thoraxes said, maybe it has something to do with having GCU?

You don't have free shipping as an option? Maybe it's because I have GCU or something, but with the free shipping I've always gotten my games on release date. When I place my orders it also always says, "Order now and get it by release date: Month Date, Year".

Actually I do have GCU, that's why I wanna get it from BB. Free Shipping is telling me if I pre-order it'll arrive by the 3rd though. To get it on launch I'd have to pay 11.99 extra, that's absurd.

Isotope

Actually I do have GCU, that's why I wanna get it from BB. Free Shipping is telling me if I pre-order it'll arrive by the 3rd though. To get it on launch I'd have to pay 11.99 extra, that's absurd.

OK, I see what you mean now. That must have changed very recently, because just as of Sunday, the only option was Free Shipping and having it arrive on the 1st. That's pretty horrible to change that quickly just like that.

Nesther

OK, I see what you mean now. That must have changed very recently, because just as of Sunday, the only option was Free Shipping and having it arrive on the 1st. That's pretty horrible to change that quickly just like that.

Oh well, only got myself to blame for waiting this long. Thanks for clearing it up though.

Thoraxes

Oh well, only got myself to blame for waiting this long. Thanks for clearing it up though.
It could be a regional thing too, depending on where you live.

I'm right outside of Chicago, so whenever stuff ships from them it's only like 8 hours between the time I get the shipping email and it's in my hands.

Roto13

gLYGQsX.jpg

Spirit Bomb made of scissors is my favourite thing.

Ashkeloth

These are some pretty good scores. I was a bit worried given that it was a Danganronpa themed third-person shooter of all things, but I guess the strength of the story once again drags along competent gameplay.

Just put in my pre-order. Now to get around to actually finishing Danganronpa 2.

I've recently bought Danganronpa 1 and 2 when they on sale. I've got through the first game, and I think I'm close to 'Plating that game, if that's the term. I've just barely started the second game, and I'm really enjoying it.

All that said, this new Danganronpa game is one that I will buy after I beat Danganronpa 2. Thank god for the Playstation TV. I look forward to the return of Genocide Jill~

According to my friend, the story is really amazing and very dark even compared to DR1, DR2. So excited. But Shooting sections are terrible acc to him.

hi friend

That's great to hear!

I'm actually sort of surprised to hear it because I thought this would be just a low budget third person shooter spin off. I didn't expect to have this much production value even compared to the past two games.

Makes me even more excited for the inevitable DR3.

Yea this is very high budget with generous use of a lot of animated cutscenes. But gah I hated the shooting sections even on the easy difficulty it pissed me off in many sections.

But the story is just so good.

FluxWaveZ

My review for Gamer Headlines.

Basically like a lot of others are saying: It's another Danganronpa game whose story, characters and presentation make up for the gameplay. They really need to make one of these games which has undeniably great gameplay to complement its narrative; that would be amazing.

There's three minutes of gameplay in the first hour of the game, and it's not a particularly good three minutes.

The kids are awful and their attempt to be "creepy" is a bit too put-on, if that makes sense.

Anyway, initial impressions, yadda yadda. I'm still excited to keep going, so hopefully it hooks me soon.

Prelude.

I seriously hope NISA puts up the DLC right on the next update on the eu store, if I have to wait a whole week before starting the game I'm gonna kick a prinny.

GameCentral's review went up today (ironically I found it while looking for the Mario Maker review given that game's embargo expired 15 minutes ago)

I think a lot of the criticisms about the shooting segments in general might not be criticisms if you see the game as a survival horror. i.e. slow aiming reticule, enemies which slowly bombard you (like zombies in a way) and scarce ammo. There was a post on the OT which did bring up the problem of Toko, who is basically a shallow instant win button. I'd agree with that.

Top Bottom