• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls Review Thread

RPG Site - 9/10

Overall, DanganRonpa: Another Episode is a fantastic entry in the franchise and far more worth your time than the "spin-off" status would imply. In spite of its sub-par combat mechanics, fans of the series will find plenty to love about this fascinating and intense lore-furthering side-story, from the colorful cast of dysfunctional characters to the simple yet memorable puzzles.

VGNetwork.it - 9

Despair Girls really got me. I was expecting everything aside from a Dead Space wannabe in short skirt with VN elements, based on killer bears controlled by demonic kids. I strongly suggest you to give it a chance, especially for japanese culture lovers, thanks to a great voiceover and a solid script. Albeit a bit crazy, I guarantee it

PSN Stores - 9/10

Another Episode delivers on story and characters in the way that Danganronpa always does. I don’t think it quite reaches some of the same highs as the other games (looking at you Danganronpa 2 Chapter 5), but it gets pretty close. Komaru, Toko, The Warriors of Hope, and some other characters I’ll leave unnamed make up a great cast. One in particular makes for the best villain this series has seen yet. That the story and characters are so good isn’t super surprising to me. I’ve just come to expect as much from Danganronpa. What is surprising is just how much I enjoyed the gameplay. The variety of truth bullets and Monokuma bears opens the game up for so many different possibilities and experimentation. Solving puzzles, taking out hordes of Monokuma, and confronting large bosses ultimately made for something far more enjoyable than I ever expected. As I said earlier in this review Another Episode is capable of standing on its own, presenting a fresh take on Danganronpa, while also adding a lot to the overall narrative.

Gaming Trend - 85/100

Another Episode may not be the game that some Danganronpa fans want, but it’s the game that the series needs. The spin-off shows that there is substance for this series outside the walls of Hope’s Peak while maintaining enough ties to its core story to feel essential. Danganronpa tackles shooting and action with the same confidence it does mystery and storytelling, and Another Episode stands proud next to the masterfully crafted visual novels from which it spawned.

VentureBeat - 85/100

People who have never played a Danganronpa title probably won’t want to begin here. Go back and play Trigger Happy Havoc, then happily immerse yourself in the continuing storyline of Ultra Despair Girls. At least familiarize yourself with that story before diving in.

If you’re already a Danganronpa fan, however, this makes a great new addition to your collection. You won’t be enthralled by the action, but the story, voice acting, music, light puzzle elements, and additional material will keep you entertained in the 20-plus hours you’ll likely spend playing. (The game finished up here after 22+ hours, which included a lot of running around and looking at extras.)

Honest Gamers - 4/5

Ultra Despair Girls is a fun spinoff that borrows many of the elements that make DanganRonpa work. The shooting is intentionally slow and meticulous, which is just fine for a handheld. The story is twisted and interesting, though sometimes intrusive with overlong cutscenes. Characters are well fleshed out, with even the villains being sympathetic to a point, and the friendship between Toko and Komaru is fun to watch develop. Fans of the series shouldn't be scared off by this more action-oriented take on the universe, but non-fans should give at least the first DanganRonpa a go before diving into Ultra Despair Girls.

God Is A Geek - 8/10

With a masochistic and mature plot keeping the series feeling as despair-filled as ever, and a fresh combat system that encourages players do the killing by their own hand, this is a wonderfully wicked title that will satisfy new players and scratch the itch of those returning to the series.

OnlySP - 7.5/10

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls is an interesting beast. In a series driven by its intricate plot, an action-focused game sticks out. While the third person shooting is rote, there is more than enough meat on its bones to make it an interesting title. If you’re a fan of the series, you’ll definitely want to pick up Ultra Despair girls, if only for the lore it provides. And if you’re not a fan, become one, because the Danganronpa series is fantastic.

Push Square - 7/10

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls admirably steps out of the series' comfort zone in order to spread an entirely new kind of despair, but the result is a game that isn't quite as cohesive as its forebears. A massive amount of dialogue often saps the pace of an otherwise eerily tense third-person adventure, but other than that, this is a welcome addition to the franchise that's well worth experiencing if you're a fan of the maniacal Monokuma and all that he stands for.

PranooY

According to my friend, the story is really amazing and very dark even compared to DR1, DR2. So excited. But Shooting sections are terrible acc to him.

SilentRob

It's great. It's really, really good.

I was skeptical of the concept because i was worried that it turns into just some random Third-Person-Shooter with a Danganronpa-paintjob on top of it.

But this isn't that at all. You actually don't run around and shoot that much. The game still has a huge focus on storytelling but it has way more tools at it's disposal than it had when it was a Virtual Novel. All of the main dialogue is voiced, you got hiqh-quality Anime cutscenes, in-game cutscenes, Danganronpa-Execution-Style-Cutscenes, Static "Persons-talk-to-each-outer"-Cutscenes Persona 4Golden-style...there is a lot to love here. The production values are way beyond anything in the previous 2 games.

I'm about 3 hours into the game and boy, the story sure is fucked up, just like I want from a Danganronpa game. I think it took about 20 minutes until the villian-kids were first making jokes about pedophiles. Yup.

As a big Danganronpa fan i couldn't be happier so far, even though the shooting mechanics aren't anything too exciting. They get the job done.

Miracle

According to my friends, the story is really amazing and very dark even compared to DR1, DR2. So excited. But Shooting sections are terrible acc to him.

That's great to hear!

I'm actually sort of surprised to hear it because I thought this would be just a low budget third person shooter spin off. I didn't expect to have this much production value even compared to the past two games.

Makes me even more excited for the inevitable DR3.

Never really cared how this reviewed since I love the series, but nice the reviews are solid.
Until Dawn, Danganronpa, then Super Mario Maker. Next 4 weeks will be amazing.

Love the franchise but I'm torn on this one. It looks pretty mediocre to me, I'm glad the reviews are indicating that's not the case.

One thing in the VentureBeat review I disagree with is that someone who really doesn't want anything spoiled should play this after both DR1 and DR2.

Thud

I don't know if it is that newcomer friendly. I suppose it spoils quite a bit of the previous installments.

I know I would mind. Luckily I played both and I wanna play this one as well :)

Scanna

Our (mine actually) review:
VGNetwork.it - 9
Despair Girls really got me. I was expecting everything aside from a Dead Space wannabe in short skirt with VN elements, based on killer bears controlled by demonic kids. I strongly suggest you to give it a chance, especially for japanese culture lovers, thanks to a great voiceover and a solid script. Albeit a bit crazy, I guarantee it

FluxWaveZ

I didn't expect to have this much production value even compared to the past two games..

Yep, me neither. The gameplay is questionable and that's the main fault I elaborate on in my review, but the production values for the presentation are bigger than DR1 and DR2. The models looked better than I thought, too. Makes me wonder how DR3 will turn out.

I wish they didn't reuse the music from previous games so much, though. Use a couple for legacy purposes or for cool callbacks, but all new music gives each game its own distinct tone, like Ace Attorney or Zero Escape does.

Just one week left to go. I'm not really sure how I'll feel about the game play, but I'm really looking forward to it all the same because of the story.

I wish they didn't reuse the music from previous games so much, though. Use a couple for legacy purposes or for cool callbacks, but all new music gives each game its own distinct tone, like Ace Attorney or Zero Escape does.

Virtue's Last Reward reused a lot of music from the previous game.

I don't think most Danganronpa fans don't need a review to tell this was a must buy. The only people who need a review are people who have never played any of the games and they shouldn't be playing it at all.

Saphirax

These two weeks are cramped, so won't be able to get the game day one.

Glad the story is dark, looking forward to it!

Comes out at possibly the worst time for me. Combined with the fact that I am iffy on its chosen genre, I'll probably be waiting for a PSN flash sale.

Jack Videogames

Gold Member
I've had it preordered since... may? I don't usually preorder games, but I don't care much about the gameplay - I simply need more Danganronpa

The writer said it was his best work, and he was afraid he could never live up to it again for the rest of his career.

On the otherhand, any 'gameplay' segments of the previous games were borderline unplayable, and the idea of that team cobbling together an action game is mortifying.

But based on the reviews, looks like it all worked out! 8/10 seems like the perfect score for a beautifully written middle-quel with JUST GOOD ENOUGH gameplay!

BTA

According to my friend, the story is really amazing and very dark even compared to DR1, DR2. So excited. But Shooting sections are terrible acc to him.

I've also heard it's much darker. My problem is that it sounds like they might cross some lines in making it darker for the sake of doing so. But we'll see.

I have the LE preordered, so I'm obviously that interested regardless.

Yasumi

Banned
For people worried about the shooting, it's a puzzle game for like 80% of the time it's not telling the story. The shooting mechanics never get in the way of progress, and are fun enough that I honestly looked forward to a room of enemies.

The puzzles are great though, the Monoc-man stuff was the best part of the game.

JPS Kai

I can echo that sentiment. The Warriors of Hope that make up the main antagonist force are
much more broken and twisted than any other character in the series solely due to the treatment by their parents.

The aiming is pretty obnoxious, but you can get skills that slow down/speed up the aiming to your liking, and Genocide Jack is great for mopping up tricky encounters.

Nachos

I've also heard it's much darker. My problem is that it sounds like they might cross some lines in making it darker for the sake of doing so. But we'll see.

I have the LE preordered, so I'm obviously that interested regardless.
I'm curious to see how NISA handled some things in the game. There was some dark content in 2 that wasn't censored, but AE does go quite a bit further in some respects.

Hektor

I finished Danganronpa 1+2 only 2 Weeks ago and despite some minor things really, really liked them. Already pre-ordered it a week ago. Too bad it releases here in EU nearly at the same time as MGS5. Fuck.

But... Danganronpa 2 already had stuff like
Mass Corpse raping
They're going to top that? Oh boi.

Interested in the story, but not the action. I'll wait for a price drop on this one.

I'm in the same exact boat. Really doubt I'll enjoy the gameplay but I can't miss the story, specially if it ends up beeing relevant to the overall plot of the main games.

Top Bottom