• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls Review Thread

Btw I recently watched the Anime and I think it was alright.

You shouldn't watch before playing the game at all, but if you already did, it's a great way to recap the story while seeing your favorite characters in motion. (Asahina is adorable!.

LiK

You shouldn't watch before playing the game at all, but if you already did, it's a great way to recap the story while seeing your favorite characters in motion (Asahina is adorable!).

yea, anime sucked compared to the game.

FluxWaveZ

Togami's
VA must've had a blast in this game.
Oink.

Heh, we should invoke
Feep
and ask.

what, really? How bad is that?

There's no way I'm playing it in English if we have Japanese VAs available.

There are several anime cutscenes, and you'll be missing out on a bunch of dialogue when the Japanese audio isn't subbed. It's not the worst thing ever, but there's some nuance you won't be made aware of, probably.

There are several anime cutscenes, and you'll be missing out on a bunch of dialogue when the Japanese audio isn't subbed. It's not the worst thing ever, but there's some nuance you won't be made aware of, probably.

The fuck, how lazy is NISA not to sub these, especially given that the JP voices are already a separate download?

Prelude.

I wish NISA was more talkative so we could just ask them if there japanese cutscenes are hardsubbed or if they fucked up big time.

LiK

Let's be fair tho. It's rushed. It's good enough to recap the story and enjoy a few characters.

Edit: You guys have a problem with the english dub? I think it was good.

English dub was FANTASTIC. they're missing out.

anime is worth watching just to see them all animated and stuff. :p

You shouldn't watch before playing the game at all, but if you already did, it's a great way to recap the story while seeing your favorite characters in motion. (Asahina is adorable!.

I watched a few minutes of the anime, just out of curiosity. I'd struggle to call it an animation at all.

Gvitor

English dub was great. I miss some stuff like THE MONOKUMAAA FAAAAAAAAIRUUU and Upupupupu is way, way better than Fuhuhuhuhu, but those are nitpickings. The VAs are great. I particularly hate one in AE
(the masked kid)
, but otherwise they're great.

LiK

Oh OK, I agree. The game dub was fantastic IMO. I really liked monokuma, that's my biggest concern about trying to stomach the anime dub

yea, everyone was pretty spot on. I loved everyone in the game. I became an insta-fan of several English VAs from DR1 alone.

jonjonaug

Let's be fair tho. It's rushed. It's good enough to recap the story and enjoy a few characters.

Edit: You guys have a problem with the english dub? I think it was good.

Some voices in the dub are OK, a few are good, a lot are bad. When you're comparing DR1 and DR2's English voice cast against the likes of Chiwa Saito, Kana Hanazawa, Akira Ishida, Tomokazu Sugita, Miyuki Sawashiro, Ami Koshimizu, Yu Kobayashi, and so on I can't see how you can prefer the English dub over the original voice acting.

Also I can't imagine Monokuma with any voice other than Nobuyo Oyama, she's the cherry on top of the twisted comedy of a demented mascot character. Hopefully she'll be well enough to work on any future Dangan Ronpa games.

We talked about this is the community thread, I assume they're going to be hardsubbed and included in the DLC. If they were softsubs there'd be no reason to not include them in the cart and if there are no subs at all, well, that'd be a pretty huge oversight from NISA.

From what I understand reading the Community thread, the Japanese edition doesn't have any subs for cutscenes, hence there's no "Subtitles" on/off switch in the option menu. NISA didn't/couldn't add it, so we can only hope what you said is correct, and the DLC contains both jpn VA and eng subtitles + a script to make them hardcoded.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Some voices in the dub are OK, a few are good, a lot are bad. When you're comparing DR1 and DR2's English voice cast against the likes of Chiwa Saito, Kana Hanazawa, Akira Ishida, Tomokazu Sugita, Miyuki Sawashiro, Ami Koshimizu, Yu Kobayashi, and so on I can't see how you can prefer the English dub over the original voice acting.

Also I can't imagine Monokuma with any voice other than Nobuyo Oyama, she's the cherry on top of the twisted comedy of a demented mascot character. Hopefully she'll be well enough to work on any future Dangan Ronpa games.

But Monokuma's english VA is awesome! :(

LiK

I tried replaying the game in JPN and her VO is what killed it for me. couldn't stand her voice at all.

Also, the English dub gets better and better as the game progresses. Feep who plays Byakuya said they recorded in order of the story and you can hear their performances improve a lot especially during the trials.

I don't understand Japanese so telling me the JPN VOs are awesome means nothing.

FluxWaveZ

We talked about this is the community thread, I assume they're going to be hardsubbed and included in the DLC. If they were softsubs there'd be no reason to not include them in the cart and if there are no subs at all, well, that'd be a pretty huge oversight from NISA.

Yeah, that has to be how it is, because it'd be awful otherwise.

I was already not too into there not being any for English audio.

I can understand people wanting to hear the game in their native language, but for me Miyuki Sawashiro's performance alone demands using the Japanese voice track.

Prelude.

From what I understand reading the Community thread, the Japanese edition doesn't have any subs for cutscenes, hence there's no "Subtitles" on/off switch in the option menu. NISA didn't/couldn't add it, so we can only hope what you said is correct, and the DLC contains both jpn VA and eng subtitles + a script to make them hardcoded.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
My reasoning behind that is that, usually, cutscenes are just an "embedded movie", not a video and an audio track playing together so changing just the audio wouldn't be possible.
So, considering the cart space issues, I can see the DLC being the "normal" japanese dub + the anime cutscenes in japanese re-encoded with the subs. It might be hopeful thinking but I really can't imagine they'd consider including the japanese dub if they didn't think of that.
It's also an extremely easy solution to implement if the game has no native soft subs support during cutscenes.

LiK

Dual audio and the ability to replay the games whenever should make it a nonissue. Play however you want. But you guys should experience Feep's sexy man voice.

I watch too much Chinese cartoons subbed so seeing these voices all the time get tiresome, I think the only stand out role in DR2 who isn't a voice I see often is the woman who voiced Hajime Hinata oh and Miho Arakawa who voiced Sonia Nevermind, she has a very sweet voice. I liked Kana Hanazawa in 2010 since then she's EVERYWHERE and it gets dull. Dub voice acting is a nice change of pace and although some voice actors use the same voice like the Japanese cast I haven't heard them in a long time it's refreshing. Derek Stephen Prince as Fuyuhiko is so on point it's unreal.

I tried replaying the game in JPN and her VO is what killed it for me. couldn't stand her voice at all.

Also, the English dub gets better and better as the game progresses. Feep who plays Byakuya said they recorded in order of the story and you can hear their performances improve a lot especially during the trials.

I don't understand Japanese so telling me the JPN VOs are awesome means nothing.

This holds up for me too.

It's also the reason why I think Persona 4 Golden English Dub is better than the Japanese one...

Dual audio and the ability to replay the games whenever should make it a nonissue. Play however you want. But you guys should experience Feep's sexy man voice.

Shut up. ;)

jonjonaug

Let's put this another way then. Almost the entire reason I want to play AE is because it has Akira Ishida saying sexy lines in Toko's delusions. If there was no Japanese voice track I wouldn't buy it.

LiK

Let's put this another way then. Almost the entire reason I want to play AE is because it has Akira Ishida saying sexy lines in Toko's delusions. If there was no Japanese voice track I wouldn't buy it.

I can understand your preference. I'm not gonna harp on people's love for original VO. ;)

My reasoning behind that is that, usually, cutscenes are just an "embedded movie", not a video and an audio track playing together so changing just the audio wouldn't be possible.
So, considering the cart space issues, I can see the DLC being the "normal" japanese dub + the anime cutscenes in japanese re-encoded with the subs. It might be hopeful thinking but I really can't imagine they'd consider including the japanese dub if they didn't think of that.

Oh, I see. I sure hope you're right.

That being said, I honestly don't like the fact that we won't have English subs with English dubs. It's going to be a major pain for those non-native speakers who need to read in order to fully comprehend the dialogues.

Thud

Monokuma's English performance is definitely one of the better ones in the dub, but Nobuyo Oyama voicing Monokuma is actually part of the joke to the point where Monokuma is written with that in mind.

Because Monokuma is basically Doraemon?

That's nice. Real nice.

kgtrep

Didn't think much of it during the announcement, so I'm glad to see that the story is here as dark as usual. Will pick it up in the near future.

That being said, I honestly don't like the fact that we won't have English subs with English dubs. It's going to be a major pain for those non-native speakers who need to read in order to fully comprehend the dialogues.
That would have been a nice touch, but in fairness I can see why.

The straight subtitle script and the dub script are different for a wide variety of reasons, and effectively transcribing the dub script and having two separate sub "tracks" for the game is a lot of work for what may be a comparatively small audience where it would only function as an extra instead of a necessity.

But it's truly a shame because the english VO is truly fantastic and the more circumstances that a player can enjoy them, the better.

PK Gaming

Re: English voices

I think they're pretty good. Certainly not comparable to the JPN versions all star lineup, but english dub has its advantages. For one, English is a language i'm familiar with. I can immediately pick on the nuances of say, Byakuya or Celeste's english voice, but I can't do the same with their Japanese counterparts. So it really comes down to preference.

Monokuma's English performance is definitely one of the better ones in the dub, but Nobuyo Oyama voicing Monokuma is actually part of the joke to the point where Monokuma is written with that in mind.

It's a joke that only really resonates with Japanese audiences because they grew up with Doraemon. Part of me wishes they got Mickey Mouse's VA to voice ENG Monokuma so we could similarly experience that level of familiarity and discomfort, though I'm also pretty fond of his current VA.

i'm in for miyuki sawashiro , but i understand your POV.

I don't think i would get this game if there was no Jap Dub in it.

P4G dub is godly. I adore Nanako

I don't understand how people like young girls in English. To me, Clementine (WD) and Nanako are unbearably bad. This is probably one of the main reasons Japanese games I like the Japanese cast.

I will play AE in English though. DR1's English cast > DR2 though.

What are the difficulty settings like? Is despair mode even fun? I like a challenge, but not a BS one that will do nothing but piss me off. :p

Top Bottom