• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark souls 1 worth it?

Joho79

I played DS 3 with both dlc and enjoyed the shit out of them. Now I want more! So is DS 1 still enjoyable, or is it to dated? There is a remaster I read about but it didn’t address the jank or mechanics apparently.
Is DS 1 still worth it?

Vawn

Banned
WTF? Of course Dark Souls is "worth it". I don't even know what "it" is, but whatever it is, Dark Souls is worth "its" weight in gold.

Has the best level design in the series. Second best lore. Most replayability.

Competes with Bloodborne for the best Soulsborne entry so yes, it’s worth it.

Kamina

Golden Boy
No.

praise the sun me if mad at the truth
64806.jpg

Belmonte

DS1 and DS3 are masterpieces.

After it, play DS2 also, which despite not being at the same level, it is better than most games.

TexMex

I played it after Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, 2 and Sekiro.

It's the best of the bunch. Got the platinum last year.

Reactions: Fuz

Virex

Banned
WTF? Of course Dark Souls is "worth it". I don't even know what "it" is, but whatever it is, Dark Souls is worth "its" weight in gold.
I don't know if you use Reddit. I stopped a year or so ago. And the threads lately are becoming more like reddit threads.

SkylineRKR

Best Souls game. Most Bosses are whack though. They start to get good in Artorias. Those are DS3 quality.

I liked second half as well. There are some shit areas but they're small.

WellSheet

My two meaningless cents:

yes. All the Souls games are worth your time. They all have a wonderful cross-section or being actual sequels with different feels and new mechanics but still ingrained with the core essence that started with Demon’s.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The worst thing that happens is you hate it. 🤷‍♀️

The games are different enough that you might not like it at all, or you might find commonalities with DS3 that make you fall in love with DS1. The only way to know is to try. I loved Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, hated Dark Souls 2, loved Bloodborne, thought DS3 was pretty good, and loved Sekiro. Not all the games are going to meet your expectations, but most of them probably will if you enjoyed DS3.

bender

What time is it?
The level design in the back half of the game isn't of the quality of the first half, but it's still a must.

Tetraeon

I recently beat DS1 for the first time and I was kicking myself for how long I let it sit in my library. It's definitely worth a playthrough and stands up to the test of time

ToadMan

Yep agree. Definitely play DS1 - if you’ve already finished DS3 and enjoyed it then it’s a no brainer.

I played DS 3 with both dlc and enjoyed the shit out of them. Now I want more! So is DS 1 still enjoyable, or is it to dated? There is a remaster I read about but it didn’t address the jank or mechanics apparently.
Is DS 1 still worth it?

Technically anything released yesterday is dated. In the case of Dark Souls, the Remaster alleviates the issue significantly by providing a smooth experience (60 FPS/High Resolution). The original PS3 version is incredibly dated in comparison, technically speaking. Now technicalities aside, there are many unique elements to it that haven't been improved or built upon, some have been discarded entirely. For example, the world design is the best in the series because of its cohesive, exploration friendly design. It's quite unlike anything in the entire series.

The combat is slower and more methodical, but that's definitely not to its detriment. You get used to it, because of the similarities shared across the franchise.

I'm not a fan of Demons/Dark/Clones, etc., but Dark Souls is something special. It didn't click immediately, but wen it did, i was obsessed with it for a month. I played it quite recently as well for the first time, i think it was last year. It left a mark, for sure.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
well you can continue to live in ignorance of one of the greatest open worlds of any RPG if you want

or you can get wise

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Dark Souls 3 has to be my favorite due to the overall world design, boss fights, and combat. I am a fan of all the games. I'd say its a must play if you're a fan of the franchise. I would not skip it. I didn't necessarily praise the games or even King's Field for its non-clunkiness. It was fun, entertaining because it was challenging. What From Software developed worked and it worked well enough to take you from the beginning to the end. Its strange how a genre can be so defining, but it still gets dismissed for reasons that didn't exist. There's a new world to explore and its one that helped make the franchise so recognizable. The Remaster is there for obvious reasons, so don't kick yourself too hard if it isn't exactly like Dark Souls 3. There wouldn't have been a Dark Souls 3 hadn't the first game had its impact. There are some very memorable moments in the first game. You have boss fights that still get brought up to this day. I played each game at launch, so the play pattern has been right in line with the franchises timeline. I also did some replays of each game since then. I don't necessarily think dismissing it for modern day criticism is the right thing to do. To each their own.

FunkMiller

Seriously OP?

Has the past decade of us all dribbling over that mother fucker not done enough to convince you it’s worth it?

It’s one of the greatest gameplay experiences of all time.

... ... but Bloodborne is better.

Top Bottom