• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark souls 1 worth it?

Manji Uzuki

It's an awesome game so uts totally worth to at least give it a try and check if its good for you. I personally think bloodborne is overall a better game but Dark Souls has the best level design of all the from soft games (and one of the best ever done IMO)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
especially now that there is the Remaster, play that. it is nearly identical to the original but with some very needed QOL upgrades.

the game is fantastic. you will love exploring the world. my favorite area is the forest, which is dark and foggy and has strange and wonderful fantasy creatures in it.

the world design is top notch and even though modern From games may look better, i think they still have not topped the level design shown here. it is economical and iconic and the entire world is built like a giant spiral, it's kind of baffling to even think about. just amazing stuff.

really glad my first From was the first Dark Souls. there really is something special about that game.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
No.

praise the sun me if mad at the truth
do not listen to this man!

he is the lowest ranked Yoshi

Yoshi's by rank

Yoshi Yoshi
YoshiMaster559 YoshiMaster559
YoshiMax YoshiMax
Y Yoshi82
Y YoshiChief

rvagg5n0xdpy.jpg

Shantae

Banned
I played some of Dark Souls when it released, but I didn't ever actually finish it til the remaster. It is still one of the best games ever. I fucking love it.

Although, Bloodborne is pretty amazing too.

Jokerevo

Banned
ARE YOU..... GO PLAY NOW...

It's the 2nd best. DEMON'S was the best but I'm probably nostalgic. Bloodborne..ahem.

Do that immediately after.

Astral Dog

More or less...

on one hand its Dark Souls, i enjoyed it enough on the Switch to finish it

On the other DS3 is much prettier and has better combat some people will still prefer the first one im not one of them.

DARK SOULS 3 is peak Dark Souls

I mean DS3 is more linear and works more as an action game but i don't think thats bad it still awesome even with linear design

Last edited:

Arachnid

More or less...

on one hand its Dark Souls, i enjoyed it enough on the Switch to finish it

On the other DS3 is much prettier and has better combat some people will still prefer the first one im not one of them.

DARK SOULS 3 is peak Dark Souls

I mean DS3 is more linear and works more as an action game but i don't think thats bad it still awesome even with linear design
IMO Dark Souls 3 perfected combat and world design. Things were still interconnected within individual levels, which was better IMO. Backtracking to areas in DS1 before you got the lord vessel to teleport sucked ass. DS1 also had the shittiest runs back to bosses (thankfully this wasn't as obnoxious in 3).

1 gets props for the best lore and world building in the Soulsborne genre. Not even Bloodborne matched it here (though BB did damn good). People tend to shit on DS3 because of how much it rode on 3s coattails for the lore. Tons of fanservice and every important story point from 1 came back in some form in 3. I think a lot of fans wanted something/somewhere more original. Personally, I loved all the story call backs. Then again, I loved MGS4 for the same reason (though new players had no chance of understanding 4 without having played 1-3). From a purely gameplay perspective though, DS3 dominates all other Soulsborne games including BB.

myfriendtim

I'm playing it now. It took me about 5 years, 3 tries, and a couple of YouTube videos for me to understand what the game was trying to tell me. I only kept at it because the conversation surrounding it convinced me there was something there I was not appreciating.

The best way I can describe it is that all the "bugs" are features that reinforce the themes of the game. Those themes are: 1) the world is fucked, and 2) the only way to unfuck it is by changing who you are. The mindblowing thing is "you" is the player, not the character on screen. You, Joho79, must change who you are in order to change the world.

j0hnnix

Is this dark souls game like Pokemon ?

Buy it, and whip yourself everytime you Die. The only true way to play a souls game.

Last edited:

I_D

DS1 is the pinnacle of the series. It's better than every other game FROM has made.

The remastered version is even better.

Umbral

You've got a point it should be number 1 I just wasn't sure, I've played Bloodborne something like... 7 times? But DS ll just like... 4? So, my mind could change!
2 shouldn’t even be on the list.

I’m joking. It’s not that bad, but let’s just say I was very disappointed even though I finished it. I think DS II is the MGS V of Dark Souls.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I think you’ve probably got the answer by now, but it was a fair question. Going from a third entry to an original can be clunky and regressive. Luckily, DS1 doesn’t suffer from that.

1 is definitely a slower game than 3, which came out after Bloodborne. The timing for things like enemy attacks is different - I took that as 3 subverting the expectations of confident 1 players who thought they would be able to dodge everything straight away.

There’s a few things that changed by 3 to balance things out, like how Pyromancy isn’t based on stats at all in 1 (aside from dex for cast speed).

Dark Souls 1 had truly great level design, and I hope you update is when you play it. Play it, enjoy it, and come back if you need some guidance - it might be strange playing it in reverse.

Joho79

I think you’ve probably got the answer by now, but it was a fair question. Going from a third entry to an original can be clunky and regressive. Luckily, DS1 doesn’t suffer from that.

1 is definitely a slower game than 3, which came out after Bloodborne. The timing for things like enemy attacks is different - I took that as 3 subverting the expectations of confident 1 players who thought they would be able to dodge everything straight away.

There’s a few things that changed by 3 to balance things out, like how Pyromancy isn’t based on stats at all in 1 (aside from dex for cast speed).

Dark Souls 1 had truly great level design, and I hope you update is when you play it. Play it, enjoy it, and come back if you need some guidance - it might be strange playing it in reverse.

I placed an order for it last night. Will update when I get my hands on it!

Ogbert

Also, Bloodborne is great but with its frame rate and janky frame pacing, it doesn’t hold a candle to DS 1.

The gushing over it is low key Sony fanboyism.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
your first playthrough of DS is quite memorable. there are so many discoveries and things you will find. it's not quite like the other From games. there is something extra special there.

Tschumi

I had trouble coming to terms with an evasion system that pales in comparison to more recent iterations.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
just thinking back to my first ever playthrough and how much fun it was. it is one of those games where you really discover the world.

at one point i was in this big room right before the forest, fighting a headless giant with some kind of trident. he was really hard, but there was a bonfire just before him, so i was fighting him over and over, trying to learn how to kill him that one perfect time.

i fought him for over an hour or so! it was so much fun. think i listened to a full Hawkwind album while practicing.

the real tutorial of the game.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I feel like we should try to avoid these hyper specific threads which really come down to "should I buy this game?". I'd say at least ask in a Dark souls thread or try and broach a larger topic. Leave the rest to Gamefaqs forum or something.

Just my two cents. And yeah, the game is an all time great.

Last edited:

Joho79

I feel like we should try to avoid these hyper specific threads which really come down to "should I buy this game?". I'd say at least ask in a Dark souls thread or try and broach a larger topic. Leave the rest to Gamefaqs forum or something.

Just my two cents. And yeah, the game is an all time great.

You are probably right. But since front page been covered with Craig and console wars for the last weeks maybe this can pass?

Poordevil

It is a great game, but it is not easy. The combat is not easy, the environments are not easy to navigate, the story is not easy to grasp. Do not approach Dark Souls with a casual attitude. Playing Dark Souls is a commitment. But we all know that already.

brenobnfm

Yes, if you enjoyed 3 which is a soulless (no pun intended) game, you should enjoy Dark Souls, one of the GOATs for sure

DogofWar

The question is rather if life is worth living if you haven't played Dark Souls 1.

Yes it is worth both the time, effort and money OP.

Soodanim

Thanks for coming back! I'm always curious to know what people think of the game the first time through - good or bad. How are you finding the tempo of the game coming from 3?

The question is rather if life is worth living if you haven't played Dark Souls 1.

Yes it is worth both the time, effort and money OP.
You're a bit late, he's bought it and is already playing it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom