• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark souls 1 worth it?

Joho79

Thanks for coming back! I'm always curious to know what people think of the game the first time through - good or bad. How are you finding the tempo of the game coming from 3?

You're a bit late, he's bought it and is already playing it.

I don’t think it feel so different. I’m using the shield all the time though, in DS3 I was 2-handing great swords and rolled.

Soodanim

Oh... Well praise the sun then!

Don't be ashamed to engage in jolly co-operation if you want that OP. The best sunbros are in this game after all.
Yes! I used to keep a SL10 character for Undead Burg assists and invasion defence, and another SL45 for Ornstein & Smough.

Never really did online in 3, and I have no idea why.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Ok, I have been playing for a while. Got to Blighttown and got my ass handed to me. Managed to light a bonfire there at least.
I totally see what the hype is about. I can honestly say I love it. Whenever I’m not playing I think of strategies and different routes I might take. Y’all were not wrong!
aw man you're in the thick of it! Blighttown is legendary. what a place. what a SENSE of place. the other games had Blighttown-like levels but i still think this is the best version. that weird slug you find halfway down. the leeches at the bottom which are great for farming upgrade material. you can see even down into Blighttown from a number of areas far above it.

have you taken out some bosses by now? wondering if you bee-lined straight for Blighttown or have been fully exploring the Undead Burg.

just remember one rule: don't put anything into resistance.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
i bought the remastered version last year, never played any dark souls before that.

I first played bloodborne and platinumed that.

Dark souls def shows it age but its a very good game, saying that some of the early boss fights are a bit simple as in mechanics. The level of difficulty also spiked for me in a lot of places, I soloed everything including the dlc, had some major problems at a boss fight called smough and Ornstein. died 26 billions times.

And there is the notorious blightown which i did manage to complete in one go without dying, it most of been horrific for people playing it with 10 fps. remaster version has no fps loss.

Game is a must for any one. the lore, the weapons, the locations it is fantastic.

9/10 game for me
bloodborne 10/10
other to souls games 8/10

Joho79

aw man you're in the thick of it! Blighttown is legendary. what a place. what a SENSE of place. the other games had Blighttown-like levels but i still think this is the best version. that weird slug you find halfway down. the leeches at the bottom which are great for farming upgrade material. you can see even down into Blighttown from a number of areas far above it.

have you taken out some bosses by now? wondering if you bee-lined straight for Blighttown or have been fully exploring the Undead Burg.

just remember one rule: don't put anything into resistance.

It’s a scary place for sure. I did go trough undead burg and the depths. Killed gargoyles (joke with summon) and gaping dragon. Fun fight rather easy when I got a hang of it.

Forgot that demon. He was a bitch. But with dogs killed and a few tries he went down.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Ok, I have been playing for a while. Got to Blighttown and got my ass handed to me. Managed to light a bonfire there at least.
I totally see what the hype is about. I can honestly say I love it. Whenever I’m not playing I think of strategies and different routes I might take. Y’all were not wrong!

You lighted the Blighttown bonfire?

That means you cannot use a bone to get out of Blighttown now. You're in for good!

It's a good game but it falls apart after the first 2/3. The quality of the level design, graphics and gameplay plummets significantly, the "remaster" does not fix this. Still worth playing though coz the first 2/3 are fantastic. PS - Your first encounter with Capra demon is cheap as fuck.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Funny, I just got done beating the remastered version about 10 minutes ago. Now I’m about to run through DK2, which i absolutely love and the DLC is incredible.

Have fun, bud.

Falcs

Banned
I played it for 4 hours the dropped it. So utterly boring. The combat was alright, but there was just no story. Completely uninteresting world. And the difficulty, I felt, didn't match the lack of story, so I had no reason to keep repeating the same areas (when I died) when I simply just didn't care what was next.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I played it for 4 hours the dropped it. So utterly boring. The combat was alright, but there was just no story. Completely uninteresting world. And the difficulty, I felt, didn't match the lack of story, so I had no reason to keep repeating the same areas (when I died) when I simply just didn't care what was next.

The story was there, you just missed it.

It's ok, they do it on purpose.

Top Bottom