• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

No I wasn't, got my shit wrecked for like the first 20 minutes before turning the game off. After that I started using long poking weapons and the spider shield and got through it no problem. I decided not to attack the boss at the end though, she seemed harmless enough.

If you use fire against them they cant poison you

entremet

I just looked up the Crystal Lizard Mechanics.

Praise Jesus!

In Demon's if you missed them a few times, which was very easy, they were gone for good.

What a welcome change!

Beat the game for a second time yesterday with
my boy Solaire at my side
which I was unable to do the first time. Chose a different ending too... I fucking love the game. So incredible in every way.

And people hating on Lost Izalith hurt me, Demons Ruins was great too! I enjoyed the variety and after playing DS2, I know what truly disparate pieces feel like. With this game, every area rocks.

Lub you DS. I'll be back to finally do a sorcerer build one of these days after DS3 completes!

entremet

Bed of Chaos can eat shit, what a horrible boss.

Currently having trouble with taking out Seath the Scaleless

He's pretty easy once you get his pattern.

Up your curse resistance using the best curse resistance armor sets.

Break the pillar in the front of the room. You can't hurt him unless you do this.

And follow one of the side tentacles and melee away two handed.

If you're going for the special weapon, it will be harder. I didn't go for the weapon.

He's pretty easy once you get his pattern.

Up your curse resistance using the best curse resistance armor sets.

Break the pillar in the front of the room. You can't hurt him unless you do this.

And follow one of the side tentacles and melee away two handed.

If you're going for the special weapon, it will be harder. I didn't go for the weapon.

Went into the Crystal Cave with the Xanthous crown and cursebite ring, walked out a dragonslayer.

Next up is either the Catacombs or Oolacile, I'm thinking of taking on the catacombs though because those giants in the Royal Wood are way too swole.

Farks!

Are there any specific rules regarding warping between bondfires, like having to kindle it? I lit the one in the Catacombs but can't warp there.

Are there any specific rules regarding warping between bondfires, like having to kindle it? I lit the one in the Catacombs but can't warp there.

Not all bonfires are warpable. I think you have to go to the first
tomb of the giants
bonfire to warp, IIRC.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Has anyone gone back to play Dark Souls after the last several games? Has it held up in certain areas? Is it better or worse than you remember?

Has anyone gone back to play Dark Souls after the last several games? Has it held up in certain areas? Is it better or worse than you remember?

I did an SL1 run shortly before DS3 hit and it was one of the most fun experiences I ever had. Everything after Anor Londo is still pretty meh, but everything up to it is just absolutely amazing.

Stevey

I did another play through after finishing Dark Souls 3 and the DLC, combat is a lot slower and takes a short while getting used to again, but it's still the best in the series for me.
The atmosphere, lore, NPCs, level design, none of it will ever be beaten in my eyes.

aBarreras

im playing dark souls througly for the first time and i have one doubt, im tyring to pass the game without much help or guides, but im curious about this.

the knight that there is near thad dragon on a bridge, Solaire i think, he is no longer there, im summoned for the gapping dragon fight and he died, he is gone for good? or what?

im playing dark souls througly for the first time and i have one doubt, im tyring to pass the game without much help or guides, but im curious about this.

the knight that there is near thad dragon on a bridge, Solaire i think, he is no longer there, im summoned for the gapping dragon fight and he died, he is gone for good? or what?

He's not dead. He moves around the world after certain encounters. You can summon him unlimited times for gaping dragon if you wanted. Word of advice though, summoning makes bosses tougher.

So I just beat Dark Souls 1 for the first time last week and all I can say is: wow, what a wild ride. Despite it's noterioty for being difficult and the learning curve, I was surprised at just how fast I was able to learn and properly play the game. There were a few areas that I struggled with that are documented in this thread, particularly Ornstein and Smough, (aka Two Super Londo Friends Play: Kill the Chosen Undead) as well as Black Dragon Kalameet, but the rest of the bosses and areas within the game were fairly straightforward and not as hard as I would have thought.
The DLC area's bosses are much tougher, and I would say that they were the only bosses in the game that made me feel like I was fighting something that lived up to the infamous "Souls difficulty." Artorias felt as if I was fighting a human player at times, and Kalameet was a piece of work since I was a melee only character. Manus wasn't too difficult, but the challenge was present.
It also took me a while to get Gwyn's pattern down before I killed him, which ended up being not that hard in retrospect, but I really loved the presentation of his battle.

After beating Gwyn I wanted to go back to the bonfire to spend my souls before NG+, but then I ended up getting the Dark Lord ending, and I wasn't aware that there was more than one ending :/
Dipped my feet into NG+ a little after that and it felt so good killing the asylum demon in 3 hits. I think I'm gonna spend a little more time in NG+ before properly settling into Dark Souls 2 though, because I tried that game out and it feels completely different lol.

In addition to what CrocMother said, and you might know this already, but you can only see summon signs (NPC or human player) when you are in human form - you use 1 humanity at a bonfire to 'reverse hollow' to become human.

Am I allowed to promote twitch streams in here? Well I will anyway, delete if not appropriate...

https://www.twitch.tv/baddadthewarlock

This guy is someone I 'know' from another forum. He's packed his job in and is trying to see if he can make a living as a streamer on twitch. His niche is being fucking shite and trying to struggle through Dark Souls for the first time with only his wits, terrible skills and the advice of twitch-chat (whom he routinely abuses). Having said all that he's about 75% of the way through. Log in at 1pm GMT (8am EST/5am PST) to give advice or just mock him and his pig-headed, yokel ways! He'll be there until 5pm/12/9am.

As a taster here he is playing Alien:Isolation and being scared out of his wits by his own "new follower" notification https://clips.twitch.tv/baddadthewarlock/EncouragingAlbatrossDeIlluminati.

By the way, I am not he nor am I affiliated with him in any way.

Stevey

Am I allowed to promote twitch streams in here? Well I will anyway, delete if not appropriate...

https://www.twitch.tv/baddadthewarlock

This guy is someone I 'know' from another forum. He's packed his job in and is trying to see if he can make a living as a streamer on twitch. His niche is being fucking shite and trying to struggle through Dark Souls for the first time with only his wits, terrible skills and the advice of twitch-chat (whom he routinely abuses). Having said all that he's about 75% of the way through. Log in at 1pm GMT (8am EST/5am PST) to give advice or just mock him and his pig-headed, yokel ways! He'll be there until 5pm/12/9am.

As a taster here he is playing Alien:Isolation and being scared out of his wits by his own "new follower" notification https://clips.twitch.tv/baddadthewarlock/EncouragingAlbatrossDeIlluminati.

By the way, I am not he nor am I affiliated with him in any way.

Jeez, stop spamming this shit

Haven't been this hooked to a game in years!

Picked up Dark Souls 3 for $20 for Xbone just last week and have already put in 30 hours. I started off as a caster but got tired of the magic resource feeling so restricted. Since the resource didn't replenish automatically I end up in melee mode most of the time. I've since re-rolled a warrior which is going much better.

I've also just realized that you need to be kindled to see the summoning signs, even for the NPC invaders. Spent quite a bit of time running around wondering why I couldn't see the "purple glow" for Holy Knight Hodrick, only to finally find out and die a few seconds after summoning him. I wasn't prepared lol.

psyfi

Banned
After getting hooked hard on this game a month ago, I'm struggling to return to it. After Anor Londo it feels like there's so little to explore, and there's a whole lot of back tracking. I did the Catacombs early on, beat Pinwheel a long time ago. Should I power through?

I think the main thing I love about the game is discovering new areas in unlikely places, and now that I've explored most everything I'm feeling pretty done.

After getting hooked hard on this game a month ago, I'm struggling to return to it. After Anor Londo it feels like there's so little to explore, and there's a whole lot of back tracking. I did the Catacombs early on, beat Pinwheel a long time ago. Should I power through?

I think the main thing I love about the game is discovering new areas in unlikely places, and now that I've explored most everything I'm feeling pretty done.
You've done O&S so you can warp now, placing the Lord Vessel unlocks previously unavailable areas, so any backtracking is just getting to those new areas.

You can be top to bottom in Catacombs in a few seconds, so need to fight everything in there if you've already done it.

psyfi

Banned
You've done O&S so you can warp now, placing the Lord Vessel unlocks previously unavailable areas, so any backtracking is just getting to those new areas.

You can be top to bottom in Catacombs in a few seconds, so need to fight everything in there if you've already done it.
I had a ton of fun in The Catacombs at about a third of the way through my play through. I was really excited to discover a whole area that I had previously missed, and then I had a blast just hauling ass through it over and over until I made it to the next bonfire, haha. After beating Pinwheel I tried my best to continue on in the area that's totally dark, but it was too much of a hassle. Then on one of the loading screens I saw mention of an item that illuminates that area, so that explained that.

But I dunno, even with warping, I have very little interest in playing any more. I think a major part of the fun of this game for me has been discovery, and with so little left to discover, I'm having a hard time caring.

Well that's up to you, but if you're only at completing Anor Londo, you're only about 50-60% the way through, there's still tons to discover, all the Lord Soul boss areas plus DLC areas (included as standard in PC version).

What is going on with this invader's head? Don't think I've ever seen this.
lgoBGcP.jpg

Top Bottom