• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

entremet

Tomb of the Giants, right outside Nito's fog gate. The baby skeletons.

I think also the ghosts in the Abyss?

If you're not far into the game, rats in the Depths.

Cool. Just beat Nito actually. What a scrub.

Curious what are the benefits of covenants? I haven't messed with them much.

Cool. Just beat Nito actually. What a scrub.

Curious what are the benefits of covenants? I haven't messed with them much.

They're mostly for multiplayer.

If you're farming, grab the covetous gold serpent ring and pop a few humanity. You can see your discovery rate on the character screen.

Farks!

I'm currently wielding a Claymore +10 as my main weapon, but I feel like it's time to upgrade to something better. I've looked up some guides and stuff but I'm not certain what would be best for my build.

This is my current build.

I've beaten O&S and currently I'm doing the Tomb of Giants. I have the Soul of Queelag, Iron Golem and Sif (accidentally consumed Ornsteins). Any advice?

I'm currently wielding a Claymore +10 as my main weapon, but I feel like it's time to upgrade to something better. I've looked up some guides and stuff but I'm not certain what would be best for my build.

This is my current build.

I've beaten O&S and currently I'm doing the Tomb of Giants. I have the Soul of Queelag, Iron Golem and Sif (accidentally consumed Ornsteins). Any advice?

Go farm a Man-Serpent Greatsword from the Snakes at the entrance to Sen's Fortress. My favorite lower level strength weapon.

Go to New Londo Ruins and grab the ember there that allows you to upgrade to +15, then take down the boss of northern asylum to grab the titanite slab.

Stevey

313592AC60ABC7470C35A42E4AF3C7699A09CD90

Never noticed that DSFix enabled before.
Really cool, wonder if Durante knows about it?

entremet

Other than the Undead Male Merchant, who I killed for the Uchi, are their any other NPCs worth killing before I go the final boss?

entremet

Just beat it.

Took me 2 years on and off lol.

Same with Demon's. I'm on the slow track with Souls games.

So ppl keep saying to skip DS2 and go to Bloodbourne or DS3. What do you say, guys?

Ulysses 31

Just beat it.

So ppl keep saying to skip DS2 and go to Bloodbourne or DS3. What do you say, guys?

Despite DS1 being more memorable, I spent more time with DS2, the DLC is great.

Just beat it.

Never, ever skip a Souls game. Play DS2 SotFS if you have the chance, Dark Souls 3 and then BB the Old Hunters, there is a discount on BB+DLC on the PS4

BB can spoil you bladly because everything is faster without any burden of Souls games,

Playing Dark Souls 3 first can make Dark Souls 2 a good experience (lol) and makes you feel is a bad BB clone.

Playing Dark Souls 2 SotFS is ...fine.

entremet

Got invaded in Anor Londo with a guy with a lantern than did a very powerful AOE attack. He murdered me multiple times lol.

What was that it? The startup and cool down was way too fast. I'm on PS3, btw.

Got invaded in Anor Londo with a guy with a lantern than did a very powerful AOE attack. He murdered me multiple times lol.

What was that it? The startup and cool down was way too fast. I'm on PS3, btw.

Thats was maybe a miracle spell , the AoE miracle I know just push you hard with no damage

Hobobloke

It was indeed a miracle, it's called wrath of the gods. It can be really tough if you haven't seen it before because like you said it's got a really quick startup and recovery.

gun_haver

I had a ton of fun in The Catacombs at about a third of the way through my play through. I was really excited to discover a whole area that I had previously missed, and then I had a blast just hauling ass through it over and over until I made it to the next bonfire, haha. After beating Pinwheel I tried my best to continue on in the area that's totally dark, but it was too much of a hassle. Then on one of the loading screens I saw mention of an item that illuminates that area, so that explained that.

But I dunno, even with warping, I have very little interest in playing any more. I think a major part of the fun of this game for me has been discovery, and with so little left to discover, I'm having a hard time caring.

There's a good chunk of new areas to discover after Anor Londo. I won't spoil them if you don't know about them but assuming you haven't explored beyond the necessary areas, you've only seen about half of them, and even if you have explored some areas ahead of normal, you won't have seen all of those areas either because they are blocked.

I'm replaying the game for I dunno, 4th time maybe. Every time I replay I forget how much I hate playing through Anor Londo the first time. Yeah, it's those archers - it's really just a matter of luck with them - but also how big and empty it is. Once you get inside the castle area itself, it becomes fun again, but that's a real sore spot in the game for me. People always talk about it like it's one of the best levels but I think it's got some serious low points. The first half of it is just a chore.

entremet

Just finished my NG+ run. Only two more achievements left.

I love the game, but I wish I could do everything in two runs. You need Sif's soul for three weapons to get that achievement so a minimum of three runs.

Still better than Demon's pure bladestone nonsense lol.

Unai

Just finished my NG+ run. Only two more achievements left.

I love the game, but I wish I could do everything in two runs. You need Sif's soul for three weapons to get that achievement so a minimum of three runs.

Still better than Demon's pure bladestone nonsense lol.

You can get that soul pretty early in the playthrough so is not that bed, just use the shortcut from New Londo Ruins > Valley of the Drakes > Darkroot Basin > Darkroot Garden and it can be your first boss.

Edit: oops, I forgot you still have to get to the giant in Anor Londo.

entremet

You can get that soul pretty early in the playthrough so is not that bed, just use the shortcut from New Londo Ruins > Valley of the Drakes > Darkroot Basin > Darkroot Garden and it can be your first boss.

Edit: oops, I forgot you still have to get to the giant in Anor Londo.

Got my Plat!

Loved DS, but kinda burned out after NG+2.

Still love the game, but rolling different builds seems more fun for replays or trying a SL1 run.

Sullichin

Been too long... started a millionth playthrough. Up to Sen's in one sitting last night. Using Gargoyle axe because it dropped with the halberd, and I meant to upgrade the halberd but I was moving too fast and picked the wrong weapon. Whatever!

Still the best game ever.

Stevey

Figured I'd try to get the last 2 achievements- Prayer Of A Maiden and Knight's Honor.
Damn are these Channeler Tridents rare or what?
Been farming the 2 near the last Archive bonfire for over an hour- 12 Humanity with Gold Serpent Ring- item discovery is on 410, they just don't seem to want to drop.

entremet

Figured I'd try to get the last 2 achievements- Prayer Of A Maiden and Knight's Honor.
Damn are these Channeler Tridents rare or what?
Been farming the 2 near the last Archive bonfire for over an hour- 12 Humanity with Gold Serpent Ring- item discovery is on 410, they just don't seem to want to drop.
Yeah. Those were a pain. Biggest timesink for me for dropped weapons.

They are very rare.

Bladelaw

I started this in earnest about a week ago. I'm ~34 hours in, most recent boss slain is
Priscilla after O&S, also fuck those guys
. I'm using an Uchigatana +10 and Quelaag's Furysword as my primary weapons. I'm wondering now that I have the
Lordvessel
should I give it to the guy in Firelink Shrine now or is this one of those "point of no return" moments I should wait until I've cleared up a few more things? Also is it worth farming humanity for
that spider lady wall thing in the Demon's Ruins?

I started this in earnest about a week ago. I'm ~34 hours in, most recent boss slain is
Priscilla after O&S, also fuck those guys
. I'm using an Uchigatana +10 and Quelaag's Furysword as my primary weapons. I'm wondering now that I have the
Lordvessel
should I give it to the guy in Firelink Shrine now or is this one of those "point of no return" moments I should wait until I've cleared up a few more things? Also is it worth farming humanity for
that spider lady wall thing in the Demon's Ruins?
- Not worth farming the humanity. It opens a shortcut, but all the shortcut does is bypasses 2 bosses basically. There's an NPC event that changes iirc
save Solaire and allows him to be summoned for the final game boss as long as you kill the bug that has the Sunlight Maggot before Solaire reaches Lost Izalith
<---- NPC spoiler.

- Placing the Lordvessel is essential to continue the game, it's impossible otherwise but you can either give it to Frampt or
Wait and first kill the boss of New Londo Ruins which gives you access to the main PvP covenant you otherwise wouldn't have by giving it to Kaathe instead
<----- boss spoiler, NPC spoiler. It is possible to do that and still give the Lord Vessel to Frampt, so you can get the
covenant gear
but still be able to trade with Frampt. But the simplest thing to do is just give it to Frampt.

Bladelaw

Re: New Londo Ruins
I just want to make sure I have my order straight on what I should be doing. Right now all I've seen of New Londo is a ledge and two ghosts who mess me up real good.

I want the ember to get up to +15 (the Uchigatana needs it). The areas I've only barely explored but have seen: Valley of the Drakes, Darkroot Garden, Darkroot Basin. I haven't been "past" any of those places or at least I haven't fought any bosses in those areas. I did some looking into weapons and I'm specced for the Cursed version of Artorias' Greatsword and plan on using that to clear out the ghosts in New Londo. Where do I need to go to open up more than a platform in New Londo?

Stevey

Uhh, where are you entering New Londo from?
There's more than a ledge.
If you're coming from Firelink or Valley Of The Drakes, just use Transient Curses to attack the ghosts.
Keep playing through New Londo and you'll unlock more of it.

It sounds like you haven't opened up any other entrance to New Londo but the Firelink Shrine elevator, so you're going the right direction. There are stairs up in the shallow water area with the two ghosts - follow the blue lights as guides, much like the candle lights show the way to go in Blighttown.

The ghosts themselves drop Transient Curses very frequently or you can buy them from the female undead merchant in the Firelink/Undead Burg aquaduct. This temporary status item allows you to kill and block against the ghosts, it lasts about 5 minutes.

Unai

Re: New Londo Ruins
I just want to make sure I have my order straight on what I should be doing. Right now all I've seen of New Londo is a ledge and two ghosts who mess me up real good.

I want the ember to get up to +15 (the Uchigatana needs it). The areas I've only barely explored but have seen: Valley of the Drakes, Darkroot Garden, Darkroot Basin. I haven't been "past" any of those places or at least I haven't fought any bosses in those areas. I did some looking into weapons and I'm specced for the Cursed version of Artorias' Greatsword and plan on using that to clear out the ghosts in New Londo. Where do I need to go to open up more than a platform in New Londo?

New Londo is self contained. You don't need to do anything outside of the level itself. If you already got the lordvessel, talk to Ingward (the guy in red on the roof of the building with tons of ghosts) and he will givethe key to you. If you didn't get the lordvessel yet just kill him and he will drop the key. With this key you can enter the locked gate and get the water level down. Explore more and you'll find the Ember.

Nev

Banned

Amusing to see the good ol' gank squads still going strong.

At least it's better than that loser hacker who summoned me only to destroy my equipment's durability and curse me to death instantly. Sad people really.

Bladelaw

Thanks for the New Londo advice, I never actually stepped off the wooden plank you use to get there since I couldn't see the ground in the shallow water. I thought it was too deep to traverse at first. The transient curse thing helped too. I managed to get the ember and +15 my Uchigatana which provided one hell of a damage boost (I'm 40 Dex). I proceeded to drain the ruins and open the way to the Valley of the Drakes. Based on what Ingward said I needed something to be able to traverse the abyss so I went off to find that. The only places I have access to but haven't really explored at this point was the Catacombs, Darkroot Garden, and Darkroot Basin. I went to the garden-->basin. I killed the hydra (surprisingly easy with high Mag + phys resist), proceeded to the other end of darkroot garden and killed Sif. I made the cursed Greatsword of Artorias just so I wouldn't have to chug Transient Curses if ever I needed to attack ghosts again.

Now that I have the Covenant of Artorias I guess I can venture the Abyss but I'm not sure where that is so I'll need to look around. If I get stuck I'm going to go through the Catacombs. Before that I'm probably going to grind out the few levels I need to effectively wield the Greatsword of Artorias (need 7 more Faith).

Buraindo

Get to The Depths without killing Capra

Kind of similar to the Sen's skip. DS1 really is the game that keeps on giving. :)

Amazing. Wonder how much more stuff like this is unknown still.

Been too long... started a millionth playthrough. Up to Sen's in one sitting last night. Using Gargoyle axe because it dropped with the halberd, and I meant to upgrade the halberd but I was moving too fast and picked the wrong weapon. Whatever!

Still the best game ever.

Same here. Started a new playthrough after a good while, and I'm enjoying the game more than I'd ever thought was possible after hundreds of hours.

Bladelaw

Progress Report: I still haven't placed the Lordvessel, is this required for accessing the DLC? If not can someone point me in the right direction? I'm trying to stay mostly spoiler free on things but I don't mind asking for help in order to avoid missing something important.

First thing I did was farm up souls to effectively wield the Greatsword of Artorias (physical version). I still need to upgrade it but even at base level it hits really hard so I'm looking forward to pumping that up when my Uchi +15 isn't the right tool for the job. Then I farmed up a silly amount of Twinkling Titanite to +4 my ninja outfit (Shadow Garb). is it worth +5'ing everything? It's a lot of farming to finish the job but I'm up to it. I like the look of the armor and I have fast roll with it so I'm kind of attached.

I finally found and killed the Moonlight Butterfly, took three swings from the Uchi to kill it. I think I'm done in the Darkroot Garden/Basin?

I cleared out the Catacombs, the boss was a total joke. The SkeleWheels are the true boss of that area. Moved on to the Tomb of the Giants. Fuck this place. I have the Lantern so I can see ok but everything here just sucks. Especially the four legged bone giants. They have one attack that just straight up one hit kills me. I worked around it with Iron Flesh on a +15 Pyro flame but I don't have a lot of casts and only 1 attunement slot so I can't use that crutch constantly. I got to the Orange door and I think I'm out of non-orange door locations to explore. The only place that's been mentioned is the Abyss and I think I have the necessary gear (Covenant of Artorias) to traverse it but I don't know how to get there. So, I guess it's time to do something with the Lordvessel. I've seen three Orange Doors: 1 in the Demon's Ruins, 1 in the Tomb of the Giants, and 1 in Anor Londo. I'm going to give it to Frampt since I'm not too interested in the Covenants.

Top Bottom