• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe to Phil Spencer: 'You suck...... get some therapy.'

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Has David Jaffe done anything since 2017? He is only in the news when some of his critiques of game X or person Y "went viral".
if we apply the same rules, "you are only as good as the last thing you've did", to Jaffe, then Drawn to Death is all he has.

I remember correctly, how people called it very dry, considering they launched a console without any 1st party games.

Turned out, no one really gave a shit about it, after that e3.

Most of the voices are people who aren't patient and don't understand things need a time, especially when covid took out a huge chunk of devs time.

4 years from now, people won't care about this period.
This Is Fine GIF

GHG

It's worse than people realise.

Phil was the Head of Xbox games studios between 2008-2014. Look at their 1st party record over that period of time, both in terms of studio management and game releases. It was literally the period of time when the Halo/Forza/Gears meme became a reality. He then got rewarded for this and got elevated into the position he's in today.

It's not just the last few years when it comes to studio management, we are talking about almost a decade and a half. He fell upwards.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

Phil was the Head of Xbox games studios between 2008-2014. Look at their 1st party record over that period of time, both in terms of studio management and game releases. It was literally the period of time when the Halo/Forza/Gears meme became a reality. He then got rewarded for this and got elevated into the position he's in today.

It's not just the last few years when it comes to studio management, we are talking about almost a decade and a half. He fell upwards.
Phil can't spent money without MS approval.
People need to stop with this hyperbole what if?

Ozriel

M$FT
Please show me where I suggested anyone fire Todd Howard.

Aside from the two posts where you said Spencer needs to ‘hire and fire’ people under him? Or where you said he should get rid of some folks over these delays?

So Starfield gets delayed and you’re talking about him firing people. Which of his direct reports is responsible for Starfield?

GHG

Phil can't spent money without MS approval.
People need to stop with this hyperbole what if?

Oh please. He had a ton of resources between 2008-2014. Most importantly he had a bunch of very talented people and studios at his disposal over that period of time. It was the 360 era, they were in a good position.

Money doesn't make games, talent does. His job was (and still is) to nurture that talent and he's failed miserably. What's the excuse for this year? The guy who has spent close to 100 billion and current has 23 studios at his disposal needs more time and resources?

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Whitecrow

Banned
Therapy... because some games were delayed?

Man, some takes are just bad.
Not as bad as your reading comprehension.

David can explain 1000 times that this is an issue that Xbox had for a long time and its not a punctual case, that xbox is struggling a lot to put out games, and some people still reduce it to 'some games were delayed'.

No wonder Jaffe shits on gaf from time to time.

There is literally a confirmed Silent Hill game why are you not in that thread celebrating i thought you are the Silent Hill guy instead your in this thread shitting on Phil lol

Helghan

Are you under the impression that Xbox Game Studios isn't going to release any games in the following years?

Zeroing

Banned
I remember correctly, how people called it very dry, considering they launched a console without any 1st party games.

Turned out, no one really gave a shit about it, after that e3.

Most of the voices are people who aren't patient and don't understand things need a time, especially when covid took out a huge chunk of devs time.

4 years from now, people won't care about this period.
We do not know the future but assuming they sort things and manage to deliver, you are correct, people will forget and or forgive.

I thought since Microsoft owns Bethesda, can’t they send in some experts to get these games polished and released in a timely manner?

Don Mattrick did far more with far less back in 2013 for the Xbox one launch

Jaffe is right, what is going on at Microsoft? Games have nothing tangible to show for like 4 years? Really? Are they just wasting years in pre production and have no clue what they’re making?

Why is Matt Booty not fired? Or Bonnie?

Don’t spend $70B on Activision when you can spend far less fixing your massive internal management problems
I mean...this is true.

I know people keep waiting for Phil to turn things around...but the guy has been Xbox CEO since when? 2014? We're almost halfway to 2022...It's been 8 years and i keep hearing that.
Meanwhile Halo turned into a meme for multiple reasons including a huge delay like this, Gears is not the huge IP that it once was, Rare was on fire when making Nintendo games...MS acquires them and they finally managed one successful project in 20 years...
Imagine if it wasn't for Forza and Flight Simulator and a couple other games over the past 2 or 3 years...

How can you have all the money in the world and your latest huge exclusive released was the latest Halo that not only wasn't even released in full but it's also turning into a bit of a wasteland...and that was released only 6 months ago. The lack of games isn't going to be over any time soon as well.

About the Activision acquisition...congrats to them if they end up acquiring all those studios only to be working as a Call of Duty factory. Can't wait to see how MS will turn that huge ass company around when they couldn't do anything for some smaller ones.

Look at it this way: PlayStation studios have released more games for Xbox in 2022 than Xbox Studios have. (MLB The Show)

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I see, so MS and Spencer doesn’t get credit for those, but he gets the blame for Starfield and Redfall delays ?

As for the ‘fanboyism’ comments, I wonder if you realize we can see your post history?
Honest question would Todd Howard have announced 11.11.22 last Summer if he was not part of Xbox Division?

You can never expect genuine honesty from any of these guys. It's their job to represent the corporation that employs them. You stick around long enough, people will start noticing that you say the same shit over and over again. Which is exactly what Phil Spencer has been doing. The problems with xbox management go much deeper than just him though.

Last edited:

Shmunter

You can never expect genuine honesty from any of these guys. It's their job to represent the corporation that employs them. You stick around long enough, people will start noticing that you say the same shit over and over again. Which is exactly what Phil Spencer has been doing. The problems with xbox management go much deeper than just him though.
The buck stops with him on gaming

Ozriel

M$FT
Oh please. He had a ton of resources between 2008-2014. Most importantly he had a bunch of very talented people and studios at his disposal over that period of time. It was the 360 era, they were in a good position.

Money doesn't make games, talent does. His job was (and still is) to nurture that talent and he's failed miserably. What's the excuse for this year? The guy who has spent close to 100 billion and current has 23 studios at his disposal needs more time and resources?

Not sure how this makes sense, since he wasn’t in charge of Xbox from a funding and resources point of view in those years.

He had like 6 first party studios for the xbox one generation. Three of which were tied to the Halo, Gears and Forza franchises.

Money doesn't make games, talent does. His job was (and still is) to nurture that talent and he's failed miserably.

Publisher of the year 2021 😂

Xbox is selling well, and Gamepass continues to be excellent value for subscribers. Doesn’t seem like any failure to me.

What's the excuse for this year? The guy who has spent close to 100 billion and current has 23 studios at his disposal needs more time and resources?

Yes. Talent takes time to make games. Imagine trying to paint a picture that the Starfield or Redfall delays are due to talent not being properly ‘nurtured’.

It took Guerilla 5 years to make a sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn. If Ragnarok releases this year, it’ll be at least 4.5 years post release of SSM’s last game. Ghost of Tsushima was in development for 6 years.

Games take time to make. A generation is a marathon, not a sprint. So trying to sum up Spencer’s first party expansion efforts with output in the first two years of release makes no sense.

About the Activision acquisition...congrats to them if they end up acquiring all those studios only to be working as a Call of Duty factory. Can't wait to see how MS will turn that huge ass company around when they couldn't do anything for some smaller ones.
I still don't get this narrative that Activision is shit and needs a complete revamp or something. Numbers tell us a different story. Activision made more profit last year than the entirety of Playstation (and Xbox, very likely), and this is with the last CoD semi-bombing and the Activision leadership being a total mess and the company being involved in several lawsuits and what not. They might not be making games which GAF enjoys (Diablo Mobile, puke emoji), but they're still a profit machine.

Ozriel

M$FT
Honest question would Todd Howard have announced 11.11.22 last Summer if he was not part of Xbox Division?

Most likely, yes.

Reminds me of when people accused EA of sabotaging Titanfall 2 by giving it a release date sandwiched between BF and COD…Until when Jason’s expose confirmed that the release date was driven by Respawn’s management.

You think an industry veteran like Todd was arm twisted into announcing that date? You think he doesn’t know the historical importance of holiday sales himself?

kingfey

Banned

Stop lying. He didn't. MS hasn't invested on xbox, until he took control.

Talent doesn't come for free. Sony purchased studios, which they worked. MS did this late, and lost key studios other companies.

I still don't get this narrative that Activision is shit and needs a complete revamp or something. Numbers tell us a different story. Activision made more profit last year than the entirety of Playstation (and Xbox, very likely), and this is with the last CoD semi-bombing and the Activision leadership being a total mess and the company being involved in several lawsuits and what not. They might not be making games which GAF enjoys (Diablo Mobile, puke emoji), but they're still a profit machine.
@ Bold Can we see some receipts please? Smells like horse shit, but I wanna give you the benefit of the doubt

Last edited:

Killer8

The notion that none of these studios could possibly be ready with games after 4 years is pretty clearly belied in the fact that a 4 year dev cycle is fairly normal in today's environment. FROM Software just pushed out Elden Ring, the probable GOTY, a mere couple of years after releasing Sekiro, a previous GOTY winner. Not to mention they pumped out Bloodborne and Dark Souls III in back to back years, making it 4 highly regarded games launched in just SEVEN YEARS from one studio!
I'm also seeing a lot of sequels to games that launched in 2017-2018 coming out right about now, once again proving that we should be seeing something from the MS studios by this point, but we're not. It is entirely reasonable for players to expect these studio acquisitions to start putting games out.

Elden Ring took 5 years to develop. They were working on it since completing the Dark Souls III DLC. From Soft also have multiple teams and swap staff between projects.

I'd advise to look into how the developers are structured at MS Studios. Not every studio they own has the luxury of multiple teams, and the ones that do like Double Fine, Playground and Obsidian have already released something on Xbox. This thread seems to act like we've had nothing - Microsoft didn't become the highest rated publisher last year by releasing nothing.

Some of the teams MS bought only released their last game a couple of years ago (eg. The Outer Worlds team at Obsidian), so it's entirely reasonable they will need more time. Other teams like Ninja Theory are tiny - Hellblade 2 is supposedly being made by about 40 people. Then you have entirely new teams like The Initiative and Playgrounds's Fable team that have literally needed to be built from the ground up hiring 100s of staff. The former even needed to outsource Crystal Dynamics because they still didn't get the manpower.

As I said, people have extremely unrealistic expectations. There's also this weird idea that absolutely everything hinges on the 2022 release calendar. It's made to sound like Xbox is doomed, Phil has failed and needs therapy (retarded damage control itt by Jaffe btw), and all the acquisitions were for nothing.

Newsflash: MS are playing the long game. Think in terms of decades, not months. Perhaps they've calculated a weaker 2022 but a stronger 2023 and 2024 would be more preferable, since GP is raking in cash and the consoles are already selling out with 'no games' (GAF should really alert all those buyers they are wasting their money).

We're also on the verge of E3, so this entire discussion could end up being completely pointless. I mean Forza Motorport 8 is very likely to release in 2022 judging by Turn 10's timetable and if the recently leaked betas are anything to go by...

Whitecrow

Banned
Not sure how this makes sense, since he wasn’t in charge of Xbox from a funding and resources point of view in those years.

He had like 6 first party studios for the xbox one generation. Three of which were tied to the Halo, Gears and Forza franchises.

Publisher of the year 2021 😂

Xbox is selling well, and Gamepass continues to be excellent value for subscribers. Doesn’t seem like any failure to me.

Yes. Talent takes time to make games. Imagine trying to paint a picture that the Starfield or Redfall delays are due to talent not being properly ‘nurtured’.

It took Guerilla 5 years to make a sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn. If Ragnarok releases this year, it’ll be at least 4.5 years post release of SSM’s last game. Ghost of Tsushima was in development for 6 years.

Games take time to make. A generation is a marathon, not a sprint. So trying to sum up Spencer’s first party expansion efforts with output in the first two years of release makes no sense.
Look no further that Spiderman MM and Ratchet and Clank. Not every game needs 5 years.

Sonys output have been slow, but they at least get the job done. MS doesnt.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I respect Phil Spencer- He seems friendly enough and even seems to enjoy keeping things cordial and inviting with the competition.

I don't know.. I just kinda like it when people don't resort to disparaging game development teams or other people in general. 🤷‍♀️

Mowcno

Xbox's own studios have been terribly managed for years. That's allowed studios like 343 to balloon to extortionate sizes, require multiple other studios supporting their development and yet still delaying content and underdelivering. The forza series is basically the only thing MS has that delivers content of a consistent quality in a timely fashion.

They needed Bethesda and Activision. MS 1st party since 2013 has been and continues to underdeliver.

So I would agree, the time for marching these apologies out year after year has passed. You've spent a fortune since 2018 acquiring and it's time to start delivering. But not just that it's also time to get the studios you already owned in a good state. Don't just buy new, fix the decrepit underperforming studios you already own.

Xbox has had a 1st party problem for almost a decade now, the time for apologies is over.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hey, at least after Jim Ryan's last email we know who really needs therapy.....wow lol

Just to add, I have regular therapy sessions and I think everyone should.

Last edited:

Three

David Jaffe has been unhinged for a while. Failed has-been who should really know better about the realities of game development. Is he aware that Phil Spencer had nothing to do with the way the studio was run for most of Starfield's development?
Nothing to do with the way the studio was run for most of Starfields development, sure. When MS aquires them some crazy hype building marketing bullshit happens and then we get fake promises from showcases. Phil Spencer in a nutshell.

Last edited:

Elog

He is spot on. MS has had huge problems in nurturing and retain creative talent across divisions for years (so not just gaming). Their forte is how to play the markets to create strong local monopolies with good pricing power (so business model development and marketing).

I have always hoped they would be able to turn this around and become either a good technology company or a strong creative company or both but have so far been disappointed. The weird part is all customers accepting this year after year for those products where you actually have a choice (i.e., it is hard to avoid MS Windows and Office products).

kingfey

Banned
I mean...this is true.

I know people keep waiting for Phil to turn things around...but the guy has been Xbox CEO since when? 2014? We're almost halfway to 2022...It's been 8 years and i keep hearing that.
Meanwhile Halo turned into a meme for multiple reasons including a huge delay like this, Gears is not the huge IP that it once was, Rare was on fire when making Nintendo games...MS acquires them and they finally managed one successful project in 20 years...
Imagine if it wasn't for Forza and Flight Simulator and a couple other games over the past 2 or 3 years...

How can you have all the money in the world and your latest huge exclusive released was the latest Halo that not only wasn't even released in full but it's also turning into a bit of a wasteland...and that was released only 6 months ago. The lack of games isn't going to be over any time soon as well.

Look at it this way: PlayStation studios have released more games for Xbox in 2022 than Xbox Studios have. (MLB The Show)
Projects take time.

Xbox acquisition started in 2017 for their partners. Then extended to other publishers. The studios they bought has games released in 2018-2019.

And with nature of games taking 3-5 years in the process, it explains why they have slow releases now.
Not to mention covid delayed their trajectory.

People seem to forget that Xbox had 5-6 studios during Xbox one. That is 1-2 game per year from them.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Most likely, yes.

Reminds me of when people accused EA of sabotaging Titanfall 2 by giving it a release date sandwiched between BF and COD…Until when Jason’s expose confirmed that the release date was driven by Respawn’s management.

You think an industry veteran like Todd was arm twisted into announcing that date? You think he doesn’t know the historical importance of holiday sales himself?
It's not his child anymore. If he was confident on 11.11.22 (if there was still no delay) he would likely have announced the date this Summer in line with his prior announcements. Why have it over a year and a half earlier? Bethesda can build hype in 6 months from announcement to launch

With Gamepass, Bethesda don't need to care about the holiday season anymore.

David Jaffe has lost his mind and needs therapy.

I'm baffled at how many people forget Xbox got publisher of the year last year with the highest meta average ever.

Starfield and Redfall gets delayed and people lose their god damn minds.

Delays suck especially when people are excited for the upcoming games, but let's see whats actually coming and see how starfield and Redfall actually look with their deep dives next month.

A lot of you guys are a little emotionally crazy when it comes to video games...

Metacritic means fuck all when the narrative from constant delays and studio mismanagement creates an impression that we are back in the Xbox One era.

I read somewhere else that your only ever as good as your next game. It doesn't matter what came out before, if in the future there never seems to be anything new.

Gafs obsession with Metacritc really needs to stop. All it does is disrupt what's actually going on here. A total clusterfuck of software development over at MS.

Ozriel

M$FT
Look no further that Spiderman MM and Ratchet and Clank. Not every game needs 5 years.

Sonys output have been slow, but they at least get the job done. MS doesnt.

Coalition, Turn 10 and Playground Games put out games in 2-4 year cadence. I suppose those don’t count for you?

kingfey

Banned
Coalition, Turn 10 and Playground Games put out games in 2-4 year cadence. I suppose those don’t count for you?
These games don't count. You know that right?

So far, we have our typical outrage period.

I can understand this type of outrage, if we were on September. But we are really in May now. 6 months to go until 2023. Do people not understand the year is not over?

Top Bottom