• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Jaffe to Phil Spencer: 'You suck...... get some therapy.'

Tomeru

I dont get the comparisons with JR. Phil is a good talker. JR not so much. So far Sony delivered more than just talk. Clearly JR is doing better than Phil. Hater or not, I don't think you can objectively prove otherwise.

Three

But it's funny. Because Phil does not get credit for quality of Deathloop from Bethesda, but somehow he gets blame for Starfield and Redfall delays from Bethesda :D
Redfall and Starfield are the games that are for Phil's console. Deathloop got a delay too though, but guess what, Jim had the forsight to release several other games for its console that year along with their Deathloop exclusive.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
We should have a thread to just highlight what games got delayed over the last few years, especially since covid. That should give us a better idea and if everyone is affected.
That doesn't the angry narrative here.

Didn't you know that MS is incompetent as hell with their studio's?

If you use logic, then these people won't have anything to be angry about.

Proof?

They don't disclose any figures from their subdivisions. I don't think Office, Azure etc. are "loss leaders" just because Microsoft doesn't report any profit numbers.

The cost for the acquisition isn't in this year's report. It's gonna be in next year's report, that's why they forecast lower profit.

You're looking at the wrong number, I was comparing operating income. Sony doesn't disclose net income for their subdivisions.
The only ones with any proof are MS and they don't share the numbers, so you have to ask them. It's obviously operating at a loss as they would be shouting out loud and clear if they made any profit.
Phil sold Satya a bill of goods on how Xbox will be like Netflix someday. What was Netflix's model? Operate a loss for years on end until it would turn around and build critical mass to make good money. That plan might take, 5, 10, 20 years to bare fruit and I guess Satya is happy to sit and wait.

Every other company needs to make money out of gaming, otherwise they are done. That sort of pressure assures games release regularly and need to be successful. MS doesn't really care and it shows...

On the acquisition costs, again, the only account for $300M for next year. That's far from the billions they accrued for investments. The numbers just don't match and they need to be sitting under a Capex budget (minus the $1B for Opex in retention of Bungie talent over x amount of years).

Last edited:
All he's done was spend a shit load of money from Microsoft

Anyone could have done the same
All of that to get MS to a place were they pretty much were already at but now spending a lot more.

MS had massive success charging people $10 just for Live Gold already. He goes through all this effort to grow Gamepass for an extra $5? The service it's despite the obvious value (and promised value) only grew to 25m subscribers in 5 years, being available on Xbox, PC and over the cloud.

I see, so MS and Spencer doesn’t get credit for those, but he gets the blame for Starfield and Redfall delays ?
He doesn't get the blame for those games getting delayed, not the credit for game that were well on their way before he bought the studio. He gets the blame for promising so much and delivering so little over the years to the point those games became so important to Xbox. Without Starfield it looks like they got nothing for 2022.

Last edited:
The only ones with any proof are MS and they don't share the numbers, so you have to ask them. It's obviously operating at a loss as they would be shouting out loud and clear if they made any profit.
So by this logic, Office, Windows, Azure etc. are also operating at a loss? Obviously not.
Phil sold Satya a bill of goods on how Xbox will be like Netflix someday. What was Netflix's model? Operate a loss for years on end until it would turn around and build critical mass to make good money. That plan might take, 5, 10, 20 years to bare fruit and I guess Satya is happy to sit and wait.
Nope, Xbox is a very different business model compared to Netflix.
On the acquisition costs, again, the only account for $300M for next year. That's far from the billions they accrued for investments. The numbers just don't match and they need to be sitting under a Capex budget (minus the $1B for Opex in retention of Bungie talent over x amount of years).
Idk what your point is, the matter of fact is Activision made more profit than two of the three big console companies, so acting like Activision is doomed and needs to do a complete 180 is a bit weird.

Kacho

Do people still listen to this dude? I thought that after everyone having a laugh at him with the Metroid Dread debacle, he could have lost a lot of credibility.
Nah he’s still very niche looking at his channel views. He gets a lot of attention here because he posts I’m guessing. That’s the only reason I know about his podcast.

On topic, he’s just saying what people have been saying for a while now. I agree with him that Phil is a great visionary, it’s just his ability to deliver quality games that’s questionable. All he’s had in 10 years is Forza, Gears and Halo.

Forza always delivers.

Gears games are technically competent but the series has jumped the shark. Hard to care anymore.

Halo has remained in a constant state of disaster under 343’s watch.

What else have they had? State of Decay? Recore? Crackdown 3? Bunch of middling experiences. Arguably their best games outside of the trifecta have been PC stuff like Age of Empires 4 and Flight Sim. Two genres that are incredibly niche.

Something’s gotta give…

So by this logic, Office, Windows, Azure etc. are also operating at a loss? Obviously not.

Nope, Xbox is a very different business model compared to Netflix.

Idk what your point is, the matter of fact is Activision made more profit than two of the three big console companies, so acting like Activision is doomed and needs to do a complete 180 is a bit weird.
1- Office pays the bills, all of those make the real money MS has, their core business
2- Gamepass and the investment made by MS in outright buying entire publisers, that's what I'm comparing to netflix. Xbox itself is irrelevant to MS leadership, just a way to get people in their service with not 1 exclusive (all games on PC, etc)
3- I don't they they are doomed at all, though some of their main franchises seem to be losing steam, WoW and CoD specifically. And thanks for providing the numbers, they seem to be performing better than I assumed at first.

Ozriel

M$FT
All he's done was spend a shit load of money from Microsoft

Anyone could have done the same
All of that to get MS to a place were they pretty much were already at but now spending a lot more.

Not everyone could have sold the Gamepass vision to Satya. Or even to position gaming as a central pillar for Microsoft, leading to dramatically increased investment.

No, that’s fully to Phil Spencer’s credit. It’s like diminishing Nadella’s focus and investments in Azure and claiming anyone could have done that.

And no, MS is in a MUCH better place than They were last gen. Better Japanese support, much better value proposition and a dramatically improved pipeline for first party games.

MS had massive success charging people $10 just for Live Gold already. He goes through all this effort to grow Gamepass for an extra $5? The service it's despite the obvious value (and promised value) only grew to 25m subscribers in 5 years, being available on Xbox, PC and over the cloud.

Xbox Live Gold - $60 per year.

Gamepass - $120 a year

Gamepass Ultimate - $180 a year.

That’s not an incremental $5. It’s way more than that.

He doesn't get the blame for those games getting delayed, not the credit for game that were well on their way before he bought the studio. He gets the blame for promising so much and delivering so little over the years to the point those games became so important to Xbox.

He’s delivered a powerful, solid console in the Series X, better Japanese support, dramatically improved first party pipeline, way more investment in third party publishing deals, much improved indie lineup (thanks to ID@Xbox) and Gamepass, the best deal in gaming. Not to mention consumer friendly moves like Xbox Play Anywhere and Cloud gaming.

Of course, one big downside to all this improvement is increasingly desperate and irate fanboys and console warriors eager to downplay all the cool stuff he’s brought to the table.

Without Starfield it looks like they got nothing for 2022.

We’ll really know for sure in a month when they have their showcase. The general belief is that they’re lining up Forza for H2

The other 19 have yet to put out a single game.
Are you sure?

Since their respective acquisitions, Double Fine have released Psychonauts 2, inXile have released Wasteland 3, Obsidian have released Outer Worlds, Playground have released Forza Horizon 5, Arkane have released Deathloop, and Tango have released Ghostwire. Xbox also recently released Halo Infinite, Age of Empires 4 and Minecraft Dungeons.

All the games mentioned above released in the past 3 years, so 9 games in 3 years. That's maybe not a great number, but far from the "Xbox has no games" meme being peddled over and over again :messenger_winking:

Zeroing

Banned
Today is truly a strange day.

No, Xbox isn’t ‘irrelevant’ to MS leadership. Satya himself was talking up the console’s sales success just weeks ago.
Just like Google was saying this on their conference:
CvQQG5N.png

You are all too naive.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I mean every forgets about crackdown 3, but they hyped that game up for nearly 6 years! Only for it to come out as a budget release that was hastily glued togeather by sumo games because two other outsourced studios dropped it. Halo infinite, also in development for SIX YEARS…and what does it have to show for it? An incomplete game that screams, some how “I Needed more time!” Missing basic features like coop, a campaign story that does its best to ignore all plot set up in the previous game. A fucking shit show and personally my most disappointing halo game to date. The only thing they can seem to get right is forza, but everything else has development hell production mess written all over it. Im an xbox fan, but im sick of the PR platitudes and if i dont see a serious increase in output over the next year then im done with xbox. I dont want to hear covid as an excuse because that hasnt stopped sony from releasing ps5 games the way its stopped microsoft from releasing ANY series x/s games.

Xbox Live Gold - $60 per year.

Gamepass - $120 a year

Gamepass Ultimate - $180 a year.

That’s not an incremental $5. It’s way more than that.
Gamepass is $9.99 (console or PC) and Gamepass Ultimate is $14.99.

If you want to factor discounts you need to factor how many people just converted to Gamepass using the 1$ trick, how many are abusing trials, etc. There is no way to know who is paying full price and who isn't so I'll just stick to the official price.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Gamepass is $9.99 and Gamepass Ultimate is $14.99.

If you want to factor discounts you need to factor how many people just converted to Gamepass using the 1$ trick, how many are abusing trials, etc. There is no way to know who is paying full price and who isn't so I'll just stick to the official price.
Xbox gamers are saving too much money. Fire Phil.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Last year they put out Age of Empires, Flight Simulator, Halo, Forza, Psychonauts, and technically Deathloop.

This year is rough, no doubt, but let's not act like it has been dry for years.
Age of empires: pc only, not for their new console
Flight sim: a port of a pc game, not a new game
Psychonauts: a multiplatform game, hardly bolsters the series x exclusive line up
Forza horizon 5: no issues here, lets move on
Deathloop: a ps5 exclusive game
Halo: unfinished after 6 years

Sure last year was an improvement, but a far cry from sony or nintendos output

ByWatterson

Psychonauts: a multiplatform game, hardly bolsters the series x exclusive line up

For sure. But I don't think people truly appreciate how long it took Sony to get there. They've been working on this kind of big AAA development since 2005-ish. Nintendo is a totally different beast with mostly much smaller games and expectations.

That's goalpost moving. Fact is, those games were made by Xbox Game Studios (minus Flight Sim). Sony's output wasn't better last year.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
People that play F2P or buy/sell used games are saving even more, what is your point? It has nothing to do with what is being discussed here.
The point is you're weirdly criticizing Phil because Gamepass isn't a large price increase over Gold. So the argument is that he hasn't accomplished much because we're saving too much money?

For sure. But I don't think people truly appreciate how long it took Sony to get there. They've been working on this kind of big AAA development since 2005-ish. Nintendo is a totally different beast with mostly much smaller games and expectations.
Why wasn't MS working on it too? Phil was the general manager of Microsoft Studios already in 2008. Name a single successful new IP that he managed to produce since then? Forza, Halo and Gears already existed.

Saying 2008 is being generous to Phil, he was in a positions of power to manage games since before it. Specifically in charge of the region that was struggling the most MS's European developers like Lionhead and Rare.

Will Hermen Hulst get a 15 years windows to show up with some results?

Let's not even mention that Sony really strengthened their internal studios when they were at their worst financially. There's no excuse for the poor job Phil has done producing games.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
That's goalpost moving. Fact is, those games were made by Xbox Game Studios (minus Flight Sim). Sony's output wasn't better last year.
There is no goal posting. People don't care about those at all. They want whatever they can to get angry about xbox.

Hogwart legacy and other 3rd party games got delayed. Yet the moment Xbox does that, people get pissed off.

That shows their intentions.

Kacho

Yeah when you really break it down the publisher of the year talking point doesn’t hold up. Asterisks next to everything that isn’t Forza Horizon 5.

Since then they’ve put out nothing of note. And outside of FM8, which most assume will drop this year, there’s basically nothing. Just another year with Forza doing the heavy lifting.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Why wasn't MS working on it too? Phil was the general manager of Microsoft Studios already in 2008.

Will Hermen Hulst get a 15 years windows to show up results?
Because MS management didn't give a crap about xbox.

Its wad their toy. Only when satyr and Phil sat down, is when MS fully invested on xbox.

Buying 5 studios during x360 would have made them new ips. But they didn't do that.

kuncol02

Banned
Are you sure?

Since their respective acquisitions, Double Fine have released Psychonauts 2, inXile have released Wasteland 3, Obsidian have released Outer Worlds, Playground have released Forza Horizon 5, Arkane have released Deathloop, and Tango have released Ghostwire. Xbox also recently released Halo Infinite, Age of Empires 4 and Minecraft Dungeons.

All the games mentioned above released in the past 3 years, so 9 games in 3 years. That's maybe not a great number, but far from the "Xbox has no games" meme being peddled over and over again :messenger_winking:
Inxille also released remaster of Bard's Tale and VR shooter for Oculus.

Anyone seriously trotting out this inane "publisher of the year award" needs to be banned. I cannot imagine clinging to such an absurd talking point unless you're literally getting paid.
The only absurd talking point people are clinging to is that Xbox has no games, while Xbox won publisher of the year in 2021 with the highest Metacritic average in the history of Metacritic :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Top Bottom