• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 4 screens

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
not really new since they were scanned from famitsu

1123690665.jpg

1123690664.jpg

1123690317.jpg

1123690316.jpg

1123690315.jpg

1123690314.jpg

1123690313.jpg

Jeff-DSA

I used to bag on these screens, but they really aren't that bad. I'm pretty excited to see this game in motion in HD resolutions, it should be a site to behold.

GhaleonEB

Fabric and backgrounds looking better. I'll need to see the new blur effect in motion to judge. Does not look bad, though.

olimario

Banned
Looks absolutely fantastic. It's really grown on me, especially after the blur.

And this... WOW... THiS is great
1123690664.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i too am beginning to appreciate this games graphics... cant wait to see it running in high def at 60 fps...

still dreaming that they'll add self-shadowing though. that alone would make the game look STUNNING :p

sangreal

Wario64 said:
not really new since they were scanned from famitsu

the hi-res versions aren't new either.

None of the screenshots TXB posted today are new, they are all from the Japan Summit

GhaleonEB said:
Fabric and backgrounds looking better. I'll need to see the new blur effect in motion to judge. Does not look bad, though.
Motion-blur isn't incorperated in the gameplay, it's only used in "Camera Mode"; you can adjust the shutter speed to develop how much emphasis you want on the motion-blur effect.

joaomgcd

Well, since these aren't new, and it seems quite some people hadn't seen them it can't hurt to post this again. Lots of high-res pics from the summit (including the ones in this thread) there. :)

If you add some killer lighting, this game could almost pass as a Square-Enix CG Movie. And if this game was made by Sqare-Enix it wouldn't get half the hate it receives now.

LakeEarth

It'd look really good if they just added some blemishes to the skintone and get some self-shadowing going for the face area. I don't like looking at high polygon model faces without the basic detail of a slight shadow under the nose.

GhaleonEB

U K Narayan said:
Motion-blur isn't incorperated in the gameplay, it's only used in "Camera Mode"; you can adjust the shutter speed to develop how much emphasis you want on the motion-blur effect.

Itigaki (is that how you spell it?) specified in a recent interview that it's used in gameplay.

sangreal

GhaleonEB said:
Itigaki (is that how you spell it?) specified in a recent interview that it's used in gameplay.

In addition to these gameplay modifications, Team Ninja is working on new modes of play. A cameraman mode, which was previously hinted at by Itagaki, will actually make it into the game. You'll be able to set your shutter speed in order to simulate some of the blur effects you'll be seeing in the next set of shots that Team Ninja will make public (currently, you'll have to check out Famitsu or Famitsu Xbox for these shots). The blur effect is something that won't be a part of the game when you're fighting, apparently because it would be too difficult to actually play.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/638/638047p1.html

Originally it was:
Itagaki explains that the characters in Dead or Alive 4 move too fast to be properly captured at sixty frames per second. Current generation titles, Itagaki reveals, have attempted to paint an ideal world, capturing perfect, blurless frames. Dead or Alive recreates the world as your eyes would see it, which is with fast objects blurred. Team Ninja is considering including a cameraman mode in the game so that players will be able to snap pictures with this effect clearly visible.

So I don't know if he later decided it didn't play well, or what

Wunderchu

on the look of the characters:
Kikizo: Talking about the technical quality of Dead or Alive 4, when I saw the first screenshots, I found the most striking aspect to be the background detail, and the way that further distance is more realistically 'out of focus' and blurry - maybe some sort of filter has been used - and then the closer detail is obviously sharp texture detail. But the characters themselves are harder to tell between their Xbox 1 counterparts. Is that because this is first generation 360 stuff, is there some other reasoning? Can you talk us through some of these graphical points?

Itagaki: Well you know, what you say about the characters not looking much different -- along the same lines, shouldn't they be ageing?! The DOA girls are completed, at least in the world of DOA. That is how they should look, and they shouldn't look any different. I am not going to add additional wrinkles or a freckle or anything like that just to show off the new power of the technology.

You know, when DOA3 was introduced and we showed the graphics to people, a lot of people criticised that they didn't look much different from, I guess, the Dreamcast version [of DOA2]. There was a lot of criticism on that, but then, when people actually played these characters, they realised right away how different these characters played. The same thing will happen with DOA4. For those who are critical or sceptical about the evolution of the DOA4 characters, once they get a chance to play, they will realise that I was right.

I am very impressed that you actually noticed the optical element of the visuals, because that is what we are really focussing on right now.
[source: http://games.kikizo.com/features/itagaki_interview_aug05_p2.asp ]

Leguna

Banned
If that motion blur is real, then we have a winner here (as far as graphics go). I expect the next big real-time effect for the next gen games to be real-time motion blur.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Awesome motion blur. I really hope that is realtime...

I loved Itagaki's recent comment on the depth of field, though. Something along the lines of "this is only possible on XBOX 360". Crazy....

LakeEarth said:
Are you SURE though? (s)he seems to have a ladies shoe on in the other pic, though the blur obscures it.

He has no breasts, if it was a woman in a DOA game we'd be able to see breasts ;)

Would look absolutely awesome with self-shadowing...

Damn, maybe if we raise enough stink he'll put it in... so disappointing it's not there.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
tahrikmili said:
Awful environment textures, no texture mapping, no texture filtering, wtf? looks ugly as fuck..

"I wear a helmet when my mom takes me to the market in case of accident."

FIXED.

eh can't say I'm digging the character models all that much.

Yeah, they could improve the quality of the character models - I know it's not a great example (because it's not a generational leap over the PS2 version), but look at the changes in the detail to the faces of the Rumble Roses gals for the Xbox1.5. Similar graphical style, but not photorealism.

Itagaki's stubborn insistence on this dated visual style is akin to Nintendo insisting they're not competing for the same game market as Sony and MS. :p

Fix your shit you lazy bitch!

[Reki]

Banned
What's with Team Ninja not using decent shadowing? Even most of the crappiest next gen games shown have projected shadows and self shadowing? It really seems that Team Ninja isn't that great aside from polys and textures...

Wunderchu

DOA4 self-shadowing vs. no self-shadowing comparison (created by "busta_o_ring" , from here: http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=361436 ) [please note: as busta_o_ring mentioned, it's a not perfect comparison]:
busta_o_ring said:
I was just wondering what the game would look like with self shadowing. Quick photoshop work so it's no accurate, but personally, I would like to see shelf shadowing in the game. Doesn't change the style on bit, and adds more depth to the characters.
dead-or-alive-4-shelf.jpg

Wunderchu

Kabuki Waq said:
I know its wrong but i sorta think the pic without self shadowing looks better....it looks more vibrant.

0_O
hey, IMO, if you personally think something looks better than something else, it's not "wrong" :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Looks great...apart from the characters. They just stand out too much, and more and more as the surrounding graphics get more realistic...wish they'd drop or at least tone down the semi-anime style of the characters. :/

Jagernaut

tahrikmili said:
Awful environment textures, no texture mapping, no texture filtering, wtf? looks ugly as fuck..

It isn't ugly, just underwhelming for a next gen fighter. I expect next gen fighting games from Sega or Namco to look better than this.

Top Bottom