• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 4 screens

golem

Jagernaut said:
It isn't ugly, just underwhelming for a next gen fighter. I expect next gen fighting games from Sega or Namco to look better than this.
if that E3 VF5 footage is any indication... looks like we'll need to see what Namco has in store..

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i was gonna photoshop some shadows too... damn. maybe i still will, witha better pic

op_ivy

golem said:
if that E3 VF5 footage is any indication... looks like we'll need to see what Namco has in store..

you mean the one that looks like it wasshot with a camera phone (no offense shog :p)?

the next-gen vf footage looked REALLY fucking good in person

the impressive thing (to me) is how you can see the texture details and mapping on their clothing from far away, that lastgen you only saw in closeups. That said, its still not that mindblowing, and certainly doesn't seem like a generational leap from this-gen stuff.

golem

op_ivy said:
you mean the one that looks like it wasshot with a camera phone (no offense shog :p)?

the next-gen vf footage looked REALLY fucking good in person
i was there. it looked good, but not great to me. sure the models were improved over VF4, and had some pretty good animations, but i dont necessarily think their detail was beyond what we're seeing in doa4 (infact maybe less so)

http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=1407291&postcount=89

I haven't been into fighting games in SOOO long.

I'm hoping the graphics are SOOO amazing in every genre on the Xbox 360/PS3 that I just can't help but play every genre ;)

Or I'll be stuck in FPS world just as happy as I am now.

op_ivy

heres my quick 3 min stab at it ;)

22122041911.jpg

FightyF

Banned
Anyone have any pics of DoA prerendered CG artwork? It looks to be the same quality.

I wonder if the prerendered CG had shadows too...

Zaptruder

Banned
Looks really good.

... Shame it'll likely play like shit. :/

If I were one to buy games solely on graphics then I might buy this.

trmas

Banned
I've played it several times. It really isn't much of a leap, and I figured Team Ninja could do much better

Syb

trmas said:
I've played it several times. It really isn't much of a leap, and I figured Team Ninja could do much better

Everything is a leap except for the character models.

The character models are more of preference, its their style, they dont want to change it.

FightyF

Banned
Actually the character models are insanely detailed as well. Superhigh polycounts and razor sharp textures on all of them. Lots of cool physics with the hair and clothes especially.

This game is a perfect example of diminishing returns.

The artstyle was adequately represented with the number of polys and texture res and lighting techniques used for the last couple of games.

It's like trying to do Wind Waker on next gen consoles...it's not going to look much better, if Nintendo wanted to keep with the exact same looking characters. Sure, the background could be enhanced, but the characters will look the same for the most part.

Heck, even with billions of polygons, Tecmo has chosen to keep the same look in their CG art.

I don't think it matches the CG yet, and they have admitted that they were working on the visuals, but it's not that far off from a technical POV.

Zeo

Banned
Looks a little better than DOA3, but that blur effect looks stupid in screenshots. Don't know why they would try and show that off in pictures.

[Reki]

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
Actually the character models are insanely detailed as well. Superhigh polycounts and razor sharp textures on all of them. Lots of cool physics with the hair and clothes especially.

This game is a perfect example of diminishing returns.

The artstyle was adequately represented with the number of polys and texture res and lighting techniques used for the last couple of games.

It's like trying to do Wind Waker on next gen consoles...it's not going to look much better, if Nintendo wanted to keep with the exact same looking characters. Sure, the background could be enhanced, but the characters will look the same for the most part.

Heck, even with billions of polygons, Tecmo has chosen to keep the same look in their CG art.

I don't think it matches the CG yet, and they have admitted that they were working on the visuals, but it's not that far off from a technical POV.
Maybe if it had some decent shadowing, it wouldn't look so last gen...

Fight for Freeform said:

The CG in the series show that there's still something they can do with the artstyle. It's not like they've reached the point where it can't look any better in game. The problem is that Itagaki seems ok with how they look. Which is strange when you consider that outside of the girls, the graphics are what the series is most known for to gamers.

Datrio

...Plastic. Okay, so the graphics are good, even I can say that - but shit, that's PLASTIC. They plan to name it "DoA4: Barbie strikes back", or what?

And the boobies are too small (for o DoA game). Change it.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
The lighting is the only thing that bothers me about this game's look. I think the game would look MUCH better if there was some self-shadowing and whatnot going on.

The game still looks great though. I might actually buy a 360 next Christmas (if the price has dropped and they continue the tradition of packing in 2 games) just for this game.... that is if a PS3 version hasn't been announced by then.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Sholmes said:
I fully expect the PS3 Tekken to destroy this graphically, you know, seeing how it uses actual skin textures.

Oh cool! Namco announced Tekken 3 for PS3 and revealed they'd be using real skin textures. Now we can fully expect it to destroy this other game.

Mrbob

Stinkles said:
Oh cool! Namco announced Tekken 3 for PS3 and revealed they'd be using real skin textures. Now we can fully expect it to destroy this other game.

:lol

Yeah, really.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Stinkles said:

PS4 Tekken will use actual skin.

Top Bottom