• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space Remake gets a 90-minute free trial on PC

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
dead-space-remake-original-creator.jpg

Electronic Arts has released a 90-minute free trial for the PC version of Dead Space Remake on Steam.
From today until May 29th, PC gamers can download this free trial and get a taste of this third-person horror game.

You can download the free trial from the game’s official Steam store page.

Valt7786

With the success of this release it confirms that there is still life left in this franchise....question is, do they bring out Dead Space 4 or just to a remaster of 2 and 3 ?
Remake 2 in the same vein as this one, completely redo 3, fix the story/human enemy crap then do dead space 4 with a playable Ellie.

No thanks.

ZahZrDy.jpg

I hope someday someone will restore real Isaac and Peter Mensah with a MOD.
This. I refuse to buy this game with the garbage rewrites and new actors. They butchered a perfect game (and it somehow manages to be soulless and worse animations/Ragdolls compared to a fucking 2008 game. Embarrassing.)

Skifi28

Glad I tried it and saved some money, probably the most broken game I've started in years. Even the menu was completely unresponsive and I had to input every button 10 times for it to register. Then I somehow managed to get into the game and there's some sort of crazy frame-skipping for the camera even though the actual performance is fine. Kudos to EA for saving me the trouble of buying it and then requesting a refund. Completely unplayable.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If it's the full game, people are going to cook up cheat engine scrips to circumvent the time restriction in a matter of hours lol.

Not a smart move, EA.

The new one is way better than the old one though…
Why? Because the graphics are better? The only thing I saw that actually is objectively better is the zero gravity controls. Original game wasn't as fleshed out as Dead Space 2's controls. But that's it. The original maintains a better atmosphere and MUCH better writing as well as acting. Peter Mensah > > > > > > whatever that guy is they got for the new Hammond. Don't even get me started on how they butchered Kendra.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why? Because the graphics are better? The only thing I saw that actually is objectively better is the zero gravity controls. Original game wasn't as fleshed out as Dead Space 2's controls. But that's it. The original maintains a better atmosphere and MUCH better writing as well as acting. Peter Mensah > > > > > > whatever that guy is they got for the new Hammond. Don't even get me started on how they butchered Kendra.

Disagree for me.

The remake looks better (duh), plays better, has meaningful expanded content, gets rid of that absolutely interest-sapping turret mini-game and the dialogue is a lot more natural and better written/spoken, subjective preferences etc etc.

At least in the remake, you actually get a feel for Isaac being an Engineer with *HIM* being the one who tells everyone what the solution to the problems are instead of just standing quietly and letting Hammond and Kendra tell him how to do engineering.

simpatico

That sounds pretty bad.. It can't be that bad?
It's pretty bad. This marks the third game that I cannot get 1080/60 on. This, Potter and TLOU. Any other game out there, no problem. None of these games looks markedly better than others either. Atomic Heart and Cyberpunk roast them and both run smoothly.

Whitecrow

Banned
Stuttering is abysmal. Ryzen 5800x3d + radeon 7900xtx, and had the game freeze for a second or so a couple of times.
Game looks great tho.

DanEON

Game looks and plays great. Ultra setting + dlss performance and getting 80-100fps. (4070ti)
Very little stutters.
I will buy it once it gets a 50% off

skneogaf

I was a huge hater of the changes before actually playing the game but once I played it, I soon hot over the changes and I really, really enjoyed it.

In my opinion it's equal to resident evil 4 remake for my game of the year so far.

I do hope the developers can reduce the stuttering between each invisible area line, I read it's to do with excessive data dumping instead of a gradual process.

Disagree for me.

The remake looks better (duh), plays better, has meaningful expanded content, gets rid of that absolutely interest-sapping turret mini-game and the dialogue is a lot more natural and better written/spoken, subjective preferences etc etc.

At least in the remake, you actually get a feel for Isaac being an Engineer with *HIM* being the one who tells everyone what the solution to the problems are instead of just standing quietly and letting Hammond and Kendra tell him how to do engineering.
And I guess you don't mind that they completely stripped the personalities and conflict between Kendra and Hammond because oh my god how dare he take a commanding tone as a security officer, god forbid. That's mansplaining! 🙄 The new character models are ugly and their voice acting sucks in comparison to the originals. You can argue all you want about Isaac having a voice (and also looking downright hilarious, Adam Sandler much?) but you can't argue positively in favor of the former two mentioned characters. They are an absolute downgrade from the original, all emotion and range gone.

Also how does the remake "play better" than the original? Literally how? I mentioned the zero gravity sections being better because it incorporated the upgraded control system from Dead Space 2. That is fine and all. But nothing else about the gameplay is inherently different from the original. It's the same 3rd person shooter, with weaker weapon impacts and enemy interactions. Go ahead and look up the comparison videos online. The new game is a shiny soulless turd. Fuck modern remakes, nothing but corporate cashgrabs. This industry is completely and utterly creatively bankrupt.

Oh boy I can't wait for Dead Space 2: Woke Edition to come out and do the same thing 🙄 ruin another entry in this series and throw the classic masterpiece to the side. Hate to see it.

T-Cake

I’ve taken the trial for a spin. Looks really nice except for the change in actors. The original Kendra is way better than this new one.

M1987

Stuttering is abysmal. Ryzen 5800x3d + radeon 7900xtx, and had the game freeze for a second or so a couple of times.
Game looks great tho.
Do you have Radeon Enhanced Sync on in Adrenaline? I just turned it off and the game plays much better with only a tiny bit of stutter

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Played the pc demo a bit. I have the game on ps5 but not played it there yet (only tried first 30 minutes).
On pc, played whole 90 minutes. Custom (ultra + RT) settings, 4k, dlss quality. Some observations:
-Graphics look fantastic. RT does nothing to performance and nothing to image I can really observe.
-Isaac looks incredible. He looks tired and his face emotes crazy. Seriously, no joke here, I do not understand complaints about his face... It's like weirdly the most realistic face I've ever seen. The way he emotes in the intro and later when you return to kellion. It's kinda mind blowing lol.
-Mouse feels ok. No acceleration and other stuff
-Performance above 60-80fps. good. 40-50 without dlss.
-No crashes, no vram problems.
-Game is great. Better than original maybe even.

Now for some weird/bad things:
-Terrible stutter. Like crazy. see some screenshots below. The spikes sometimes last like 30-60 seconds of 5fps perfomrance. When Kellion explodes when you get back to it, when you pick up the machine gun. very weird. Traversal stutter is a bit much too but nothing too bad.
-Very bad controls of user interfaces. You have to use arrow keys and enter to select switches?! Like... I have 60% keyboard here. What are we doing here? Let me use wsad our mouse for this stuff. It's seamless on the contoller.
-HDR is done in some sort of container. RTSS does not report it properly. But it works... and got no settings at all.
-ESC key works like 25% of the time lol. Getting out of menus or inventory is like not working on first, 2nd press and so on. My keyboard is fine.
-First thing that happened to me is the inventory got stuck on the screen.
-Steam screenshots just dont work.

tTHGVle.jpg

ly9bc0F.jpg

41GquBc.jpg

Kv0nvtA.jpg

MikeM

Played the pc demo a bit. I have the game on ps5 but not played it there yet (only tried first 30 minutes).
On pc, played whole 90 minutes. Custom (ultra + RT) settings, 4k, dlss quality. Some observations:
-Graphics look fantastic. RT does nothing to performance and nothing to image I can really observe.
-Isaac looks incredible. He looks tired and his face emotes crazy. Seriously, no joke here, I do not understand complaints about his face... It's like weirdly the most realistic face I've ever seen. The way he emotes in the intro and later when you return to kellion. It's kinda mind blowing lol.
-Mouse feels ok. No acceleration and other stuff
-Performance above 60-80fps. good. 40-50 without dlss.
-No crashes, no vram problems.
-Game is great. Better than original maybe even.

Now for some weird/bad things:
-Terrible stutter. Like crazy. see some screenshots below. The spikes sometimes last like 30-60 seconds of 5fps perfomrance. When Kellion explodes when you get back to it, when you pick up the machine gun. very weird. Traversal stutter is a bit much too but nothing too bad.
-Very bad controls of user interfaces. You have to use arrow keys and enter to select switches?! Like... I have 60% keyboard here. What are we doing here? Let me use wsad our mouse for this stuff. It's seamless on the contoller.
-HDR is done in some sort of container. RTSS does not report it properly. But it works... and got no settings at all.
-ESC key works like 25% of the time lol. Getting out of menus or inventory is like not working on first, 2nd press and so on. My keyboard is fine.
-First thing that happened to me is the inventory got stuck on the screen.
-Steam screenshots just dont work.

tTHGVle.jpg

ly9bc0F.jpg

41GquBc.jpg

Kv0nvtA.jpg
That frametime graph lol jesus. So brutal.

Whats in your pc?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Whats in your pc?
3700x 3080.
No vram problem. Feels like it’s cpu limited.
But when it runs fine it runs fine. The big events caching are nuts though.
Shaders only took 5min so they must’ve not cached it all

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

Whats in your pc?

They gave up on fixing the stutters so it is what it is. EA got praised for it at launch, made bucks out of it and just abandoned it. It's been 3 months since the last patch so yeah, it's just something you have to deal with. Deleting the shader cache every time fixes most stutter issues I heard.

StereoVsn

They gave up on fixing the stutters so it is what it is. EA got praised for it at launch, made bucks out of it and just abandoned it. It's been 3 months since the last patch so yeah, it's just something you have to deal with. Deleting the shader cache every time fixes most stutter issues I heard.
Wait, how does deleting shader cache help with stutters? Wouldn't it be the opposite?

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Wait, how does deleting shader cache help with stutters? Wouldn't it be the opposite?

It helps it because the game has to rebuild them from scratch every time you relaunch the game. It just works. The fix is common on most steam topics, feel free to check it/test it urself. I dont have the game. Only played the trial and it was just ok, nothing to major for me.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
This. I refuse to buy this game with the garbage rewrites and new actors. They butchered a perfect game (and it somehow manages to be soulless and worse animations/Ragdolls compared to a fucking 2008 game. Embarrassing.)
Trust me i'd be the first to shit on it if it was a terrible remake, but.. it's pretty damn good

The only thing that bums me out about the whole series is that it's about a rock.

Played an hour last night and had the game running between 120-165fps on a 12700K 3080. 1440p Ultra and no RT, looks fucking amazing too.

Traversal stutter is noticeable for me but not game breaking in the slightest. Probably gonna pick this up as the original is one of my favourite games.

RagnarokIV

Just finished my trial. Went from curiosity to instant buy.

First off, it's on par with RE4 remake in terms of faithfulness. I was concerned after seeing meme posts about Isaac talking, his face etc. but really... It's Dead Space, but better.
Isaac only talks when neccessary and it actually enhances him as a character. He's gone from a mute idiot being bossed around and told how to do his job, to being an engineer who knows his role.

Performance is just wonderful - I have 32GB, 13600K and a 4070. I play at 1440p - Ultra + ray tracing is giving dream like performance.

I know it was cool to shit on EA over this remake after they murdered the series and studio behind it - but you need to be honest and admit, it's a damn good remake.

nemiroff

Gold Member
After having played the demo I take back some of the shit I gave it. Seems like a well crafted experience (and appears to run well on my rig).

Last edited:
Top Bottom