• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deadpool 3 delayed to July, Captain America to 2025 due to strikes

ManaByte

Deadpool 3 is the lead in to Secret Wars.

Cap 4 is more setup for Mutants and has Harrison Ford setup to be Red Hulk.

Power Pro

I swear it's the writing, Mackie was great in Twisted Metal.
He's usually good in whatever I see him in. I watched the Adjustment Bureau for the first time recently, and he was good in that too...but god damn, why did he have to be in the one of the worst episode of Black Mirror? I keep seeing a guy who wants to fuck his dude friend in VR all the time.

I like Mackie, I'll have to check out that Twisted Metal show

He was great as The Falcon in the MCU before Phase 4. I think that The Falcon And The Winter Soldier would have been so much better if they didn't slam racial politics down your throat. That show action scenes were fantastic. The dramatic scenes with Bucky especially when he's talking to his therapist were really emotional for me. The shows writing was great but goes downhill once they start to shove in unnecessary scenes involving the agenda pushing. Not to mention that do better lecture scene at the end of the last episode of Falcon made me roll my eyes

ManaByte

Funny but true story, there’s a really big movie site whose owner once made a deceptively edited video that made it look like Mackie was trashing Man of Steel. Fast forward six years and his site owner was interviewing Mackie and Sebastian Stan at the press junket for Infinity War. Mackie went off on the guy for like 20 minutes. Disney destroyed the tape (because it was an interview and being filmed) and told the guy he’d never have to face Mackie again.

Funny but true story, there’s a really big movie site whose owner once made a deceptively edited video that made it look like Mackie was trashing Man of Steel. Fast forward six years and his site owner was interviewing Mackie and Sebastian Stan at the press junket for Infinity War. Mackie went off on the guy for like 20 minutes. Disney destroyed the tape (because it was an interview and being filmed) and told the guy he’d never have to face Mackie again.

What did the Mackie say to the guy?

Kacho

Is that wing guy actually Captain America now? That is hilarious
Yep. I remember when they made him Cap in the comics a decade ago. Literally no one wanted it.

But it was obvious at the time that they were setting the stage for future MCU films so shills could defend that garbage as being true to the comics lol. Same with Jane Foster becoming Thor. Absolutely stinky.

Shit, all we need now is a Korean Hulk that rides around in a flying food truck.

Yep. I remember when they made him Cap in the comics a decade ago. Literally no one wanted it.

But it was obvious at the time that they were setting the stage for future MCU films so shills could defend that garbage as being true to the comics lol. Same with Jane Foster becoming Thor. Absolutely stinky.
I love the fact that you’re doing live retconning of past real life events.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I like Mackie, I'll have to check out that Twisted Metal show

He was great as The Falcon in the MCU before Phase 4. I think that The Falcon And The Winter Soldier would have been so much better if they didn't slam racial politics down your throat. That show action scenes were fantastic. The dramatic scenes with Bucky especially when he's talking to his therapist were really emotional for me. The shows writing was great but goes downhill once they start to shove in unnecessary scenes involving the agenda pushing. Not to mention that do better lecture scene at the end of the last episode of Falcon made me roll my eyes
I do recommend Twisted Metal. It's not great but it's a fun, bloody (armor lol) watch and Mackie is great. I pray they make another season because the ending is cray cray.

Last edited:

ManaByte

A lower budget, better focused Falcon movie would have been great.

All of these delays seem to be Iger doing that, and the strikes are being used as a cover for it.

Iger came out this week and took a veiled swipe against Chapek saying they were producing too much garbage just to spam content and they'd be making less and focusing on quality and not just something to stream. Right after he said that, the Blade budget was revealed to be $100M, rated R, and they delayed all but one 2024 MCU movie to 2025.

Last edited:
Regarding the delays, I really can't stress enough how much the MCU has slipped away from the popular consciousness. I'm a teacher at a private high school in a college town (meaning, I'm surrounded by their target audience), and there's zero buzz here. Just a few years ago, students were constantly asking me my opinions on MCU stuff, we did superhero stuff for Homecoming themes and whatnot, etc, and now it's crickets. I'm looking at the good theater in town, and there are zero tickets sold for the 4:50 showing (edit, the 7:30 showing is about 20% sold, the 10:30 has zero tickets sold, and this is on Friday morning) of The Marvels on Friday night, opening weekend (zero!); the only person here at work who's mentioned was a 50-something female coworker who asked me if it was any good just because she was looking for something to do this weekend.

They have a lot of work to do to right the ship if they want to keep printing money with the MCU.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I actually really like Mackie, but he isn’t Captain America and I dont think anyone else could be. I can imagine him being a great character, but it’s impossible to follow up when the last cap was essentially perfect for the role. Marvel’s initial casting was perfect. It’s dropped off big time.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
didn't know the 12yo who are writing Deadpool 3 were unionized.

Really, Deadpool has doody-peepee jokes.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Regarding the delays, I really can't stress enough how much the MCU has slipped away from the popular consciousness. I'm a teacher at a private high school in a college town (meaning, I'm surrounded by their target audience), and there's zero buzz here. Just a few years ago, students were constantly asking me my opinions on MCU stuff, we did superhero stuff for Homecoming themes and whatnot, etc, and now it's crickets. I'm looking at the good theater in town, and there are zero tickets sold for the 4:50 showing (edit, the 7:30 showing is about 20% sold, the 10:30 has zero tickets sold, and this is on Friday morning) of The Marvels on Friday night, opening weekend (zero!); the only person here at work who's mentioned was a 50-something female coworker who asked me if it was any good just because she was looking for something to do this weekend.

They have a lot of work to do to right the ship if they want to keep printing money with the MCU.
I'm not sure you can fix it. I don't think you can fix Star Wars either. Or Terminator.

People being angry you can fix, because that means they still care enough to be angry. People being apathetic means that they peaked behind the curtain and saw that there is nothing back there but bullshit. The illusion has been destroyed. Most people can't put the curtain back and pretend Jedi are mysterious and cool again.

I'm not sure you can fix it. I don't think you can fix Star Wars either. Or Terminator.

People being angry you can fix, because that means they still care enough to be angry. People being apathetic means that they peaked behind the curtain and saw that there is nothing back there but bullshit. The illusion has been destroyed. Most people can't put the curtain back and pretend Jedi are mysterious and cool again.
I definitely agree that they won't, although I think that's because they won't draw the right lesson from it. If, let's say, they had allowed a great young director to make the Cap 4 the way he wanted, and then they were releasing it in July 2024, the narrative could be "hey, you haven't noticed the MCU in a while, and this next one is great!". Marvels is going to lose a bunch of money because no one's even noticing it, which could help them just move past it in the public eye. I don't think this is a Bat v Superman situation, where a bunch of people saw it and didn't like it and that put a stink on the brand. Now, obviously, they will keep making movies the same bad way for several years, and so they will keep producing stuff like The Marvels, and so that stink will get on the brand, and then they will be truly screwed.

What I'd love is for them to learn that people will show up for well-made action movies, and that those movies can earn a profit is they are planned carefully (John Wick comes to mind here; I'd love to get, say, a Blade movie that's made with the skill and care, and the budget, of John Wick 2), but they won't.

RAÏSanÏa

Red Skull to Red Hulk. Super suited Cap up for that challenge?

Having dipped out of the MCU before First Avenger then watching it years later and being surprised impressed at how self-aware it was in using the aspect as a dazzling token jingoistic performer for iconic chrysalis after the serum. For Steve Cap to rise out of that against the Skull, later Thanos, as representative of Liberty, like the chosen champion of Columbia, through his deeds gave me a deep appreciation for the handling of the character. There was a lot of recognizable slingshots for momentum to build from the start taken advantage of for Steve.

That's a tough act to follow.

Top Bottom