• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"DEATHLOOP" |OT| Down the rabbit hole, everyone's a winner

Boss Mog

I will let you guess.

That's actually funny that PS fanboys are review bombing PS Exclusive because it's made by MS.
At this point MC should remove user reviews at all. They are totally not usable for anything.

You really think all the review bombs are for that reason? Seems really sad and pathetic.

Arozay

Finished today, did all endings and they all sucked. The final loop payoff isn't quite there.

In the end it was like hitman-lite, and even dishonored-lite. There's not much freedom once you actually get down to doing the perfect loop, most of the variation is getting to that point, and in hindsight it was just a clever way to pad and reuse levels. Stealth was too easy when bodies dissapear, and I ended up using some silenced SMG for most of the game which cheesed a lot of it. Half the time you could one-tap headshot an entire room before the AI could boot up.

I like the concept of the game, but the visionary part didn't really pan out, since things are pretty static once you're actually in the level.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Fuuuuuck, i died and lost like 25.000 residuum, 30 between personal and weapon trinkets, 2 purple weapons and an upgrade for the shift...

So what we learned today kids?! Don't wait to the latest moment to infuse your stuff, do it between the change of location...

GymWolf

Gold Member
I love the amount of hidden secrets. Everytime I play I find something new. There is so much to explore I can't understand how people are beating this game in only 12h. I'm clocking 30h so far and I am nowhere near finishing (I think).
Lol same, i'm around 9 hours and i feel like i barely scratched the surface.

The game is full of mini-missable events.

kuncol02

Banned
You really think all the review bombs are for that reason? Seems really sad and pathetic.
You think that they aren't? Just look on XBox twitter when they show something cool how many insecure Sony fanboys have to comment how PS has better games, or that XBox don't have games. For some reason Playstation brand attracts worst of fanboys. It's so bad that before launch of nextgen I had to stop reading PS subreddits because they went full fanboy. It was basically "additional GPU in powerbrick" level of stupidity.

VN1X

Banned
Please don't make this thread about a fuckin' fanboy war, again. GAF's unhealthy obsession with that shit is really starting to grate.

The performance on PC is meh across the board so I can understand if people are annoyed by that but the fact that this game is currently sitting on a "mixed" score on Steam is a fuckin' travesty. We really shouldn't give review "bombers" any more air time really.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
so I played my first mission so to speak, and in concept I really like the game... but sadly, the typical shit with console versions of shooters -_-

-no FOV slider
-a ridiculously narrow FOV
-Aim acceleration (really badly programmed as well)
-really shitty analog aiming in general (details see below)
-absolutely ZERO options to remap buttons

Issues with the aiming:
First of all, really bad acceleration that is really slow and can't be deactivated.
The inner deadzone is really small, but the sensitivity curve is ridiculous, the speed of your camera has massive jumps in speed, while the outer deadzone is ridiculously big it feels...

here is how the curve feels to me and what most games with good shooter controls use as a comparison

D8INumr.png

again, zero options to change either of this (deadzone, curve, acceleration)
the only option you have is aim smoothing, which basically is additional acceleration of fast stick movement

WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR DEVELOPERS TO MAKE GOOD CONTROLLER AIMING?
meanwhile Splitgate, a game made by a tiny studio has basically perfect stick aiming... first try... so there is literally no excuse, this is just incompetence at display here.

now I'm kinda annoyed that I got it on PS5 tbh... my PC isn't the best anymore so I figured it's better getting the PS5 version... big mistake

EDIT: OH i totally forgot mentioning the worst about the stick aiming!
Lets say you turn full speed to the right ok? now you move the stick slightly diagonally down
m0SHw0U.png

if you do that, you camera speed will just drop in speed dramatically... it's the fucking weirdest thing... and it feels like absolute ass!
how can you fuck up controller aiming this hard?

so should you have the choice between console and PC, get the PC version
This stuff seems like a small thing but it killed Dishonored 2 dead for me. It's impossible to LOOK at things without turning too far one way then correcting yourself. It sucks.

GHG

Gold Member
You think that they aren't? Just look on XBox twitter when they show something cool how many insecure Sony fanboys have to comment how PS has better games, or that XBox don't have games. For some reason Playstation brand attracts worst of fanboys. It's so bad that before launch of nextgen I had to stop reading PS subreddits because they went full fanboy. It was basically "additional GPU in powerbrick" level of stupidity.

go away GIF

Mossybrew

Gold Member
This fucking game man. I started to get a bit frustrated last night, really just in a big picture way, like, what should I be doing now? kinda thing. Trying to get a grip on the menus and all the info and direction they provide (this is not the best game to play after drinking) but then before you know it I have the Shift power, infused to keep, and a couple infused purple guns, and I'm feeling much better. I think for me anyway I just need to focus on accomplishing one step at a time - grab a power, collect residuum, guns, mods, instead of trying to figure out the big picture all at once.

DonJorginho

Banned
This stuff seems like a small thing but it killed Dishonored 2 dead for me. It's impossible to LOOK at things without turning too far one way then correcting yourself. It sucks.
The aiming on this game is WAY better than their previous console versions of games.

The FOV is narrow and that's the only main complaint as some light sensitivity tweaking had the gunplay feeling real responsive.

Dr. Suchong

Gonna install this bad boy when. I get home.
Anyone had any issues in the way of unwanted noise coming from the Ps5 during the loading screens? Half remember Kotaku(?) mentioning some were having problems?

Spaceman292

Banned
The aiming on this game is WAY better than their previous console versions of games.

The FOV is narrow and that's the only main complaint as some light sensitivity tweaking had the gunplay feeling real responsive.
It wasn't even the console version. I was playing on PC and there just aren't any options to take out the horrible aim acceleration. No mods either.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Anyone had any issues in the way of unwanted noise coming from the Ps5 during the loading screens? Half remember Kotaku(?) mentioning some were having problems?
No weird noises from my PS5. The initial disc insert and install was loud because of the disc spinning, but that's it.

tommib

Yeah, I get some high pitch noise during load screens. I actually thought it was from the game since I’ve never heard any noise coming from the console. Is this what people call coil whine? It doesn’t bother me since it lasts like for 3 seconds.

Dr. Suchong

Yeah, I get some high pitch noise during load screens. I actually thought it was from the game since I’ve never heard any noise coming from the console. Is this what people call coil whine? It doesn’t bother me since it lasts like for 3 seconds.
I posted a link to the article :) Probably just teething troubles 👍

The opposite happens just as often. Try finding any thread about a PS5 game and not hear "GamePass" 100 times.

Dr. Suchong

Oh wow. It’s really a thing. Deathloop loading screens unleashing the true power of the GPU.

I guess they’ll fix it soon. It’s really very short. It’s hardly a scream. Some people clearly never had a PS4 PRO.
Yeah it'll be rectified soon I'm sure :)
Lol hopefully those Jet sounds are no longer going to be a thing. Mass effect Andromeda on my base PS4 legit scared the shit out of me, it got so loud lol

R6Rider

Gold Member
One thing I found out when playing as Julianna: You know when Colt is spotted and the icon pops up showing his last known position, well it also pops up in suspected areas too.

As Julianna if you shoot a barrel and it blows up, the icon will appear where the explosion was (at least in range of other Eternalists). I'm thinking as Colt you could use this to your advantage in various ways.

tommib

Does this game sound really poor on the pulse headphones for anyone else? I don't think the headphones are bad because other games sound great
Can confirm. Don't know why but the sound quality is really poor with headphones. I normally play with headphones but I'm using my hi-fi speakers with Deathloop. It sounds fine on speakers.

TJC

Glad this game isn't £70, definitely will pick it up on a sale but right now what I've seen looks like a last gen game. Dualsense meant to be good at least.

jaysius

Banned
Oh wow. It’s really a thing. Deathloop loading screens unleashing the true power of the GPU.

I guess they’ll fix it soon. It’s really very short. It’s hardly a scream. Some people clearly never had a PS4 PRO.
Fucking christ the flashbacks of playing Nioh in the store menu in that game, the fucking dustbuster was going FULL TILT the ENTIRE TIME, what a dumb oversight on everyone's part there.

sainraja

I will let you guess.

That's actually funny that PS fanboys are review bombing PS Exclusive because it's made by MS.
At this point MC should remove user reviews at all. They are totally not usable for anything.

OR Xbox fanboys are review bombing it since it's exclusive to PS right now. Point is, fanboys who do this kind of thing aren't rationale no matter which flag they bear. I take it you assume PS fanboys because you claim the opposite side? :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
OR Xbox fanboys are review bombing it since it's exclusive to PS right now. Point is, fanboys who do this kind of thing aren't rationale no matter which flag they bear. I take it you assume PS fanboys because you claim the opposite side? :messenger_squinting_tongue:

Pretty sure it’s getting bombed because of the denuvo stuff on PC.

Not everything is because of fanboyisms.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Right. Just purchased and downloaded to my console.

EDIT: installed to my console.

Last edited:

april6e

Does the game get harder as you progress through it? It feels like enemies are now detecting me instantly as if I was on hard mode in Dishonored compared to early in the game where I had alot of leeway on how long it took someone to find me while crouched.

Ogbert

Does the game get harder as you progress through it? It feels like enemies are now detecting me instantly as if I was on hard mode in Dishonored compared to early in the game where I had alot of leeway on how long it took someone to find me while crouched.
Not sure.

I definitely feel like the AI sometimes turns godly (Aleksis’ house, for example). Haven’t noticed it get much more difficult, but there seem to be more mines and tripwires later on.

trikster40

Finally started playing today. Really liking it, it’s nothing like I expected. Lots of exploring, figuring things out, gaining new powers/guns…it feels like a rogue-like Metroidvania Bioshock.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yeah this game is good. The difficulty feels pretty much just right, where if you lose cover or whatever you have plenty of tools to go guns blazing for a bit then run away, but you can still go down pretty quickly. It’s nice that pretty much any two shots max take most enemies down, and really they just beat you in numbers or if you don’t see them.

So far pretty fun. One complaint is I’m playing on PS5 and the text is pretty hard to read on the TV

ebevan91

Fuuuuuck, i died and lost like 25.000 residuum, 30 between personal and weapon trinkets, 2 purple weapons and an upgrade for the shift...

So what we learned today kids?! Don't wait to the latest moment to infuse your stuff, do it between the change of location...

Earlier this afternoon I was on the way back to the tunnels with an orange (legendary?) weapon, a slab, a bunch of good trinkets, and almost 20k residuum and I ended up dying in a stupid way. I was so mad after that lmao. Ended up going and getting 2 more slabs and infusing them ASAP.

Reave

Does this game sound really poor on the pulse headphones for anyone else? I don't think the headphones are bad because other games sound great
Make sure you aren’t double dipping with 3D audio. The game has its own 3D audio that’s separate from the PS5’s Tempest 3D audio. Turn off the console’s 3D so that the sound isn’t getting filtered through two 3D audio tools, and it should sound way better.

Residenr Evil: Village did the same thing, and it drove me nuts until I figured out what the issue was.

PerfectDark

Banned
What is with console war crap. You do realize a console is just hardware and Sony has exclusive devs and MS has exclusive devs. Its good for gaming to have Sony and MS. If we just had one console there would be no competition.

I have 3x Xbox series consoles, PS5, switch, gaming PC. Its all preference. I like PC for mouse and keyboard. Xbox for when I need to play a fps with a controller because I was born with small hands. PS5 for some good single player games that Xbox lacks.

GHG

Gold Member
The trinket for the kick and nexus slab is great. Mark a crowd and then boot one.

I've started thinking about what kind of interesting builds would be possible and that combo sounds like a good one.

Found a gun with health regen on hit and it makes you pretty much invincible if you go full on rambo against the NPCs.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Is the audio mixing with headphones any better than using a 2.1\tv speaker?! I can't locate the position-direction of any near enemies for shit in this game, you can't even understand if they are close or far...also when they talk between them they go from being loud to almost silent while moving a couple of cm...

I'm not even a sound mix whore with games but this one is just abysmal.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
The game has adaptive ia so it gets more smart the more you play (official news from the devs)

Love Arkane games so much, have had some weird glitches though.

Anyone else getting AI Julianna always getting stuck in the ground and in random geometry?

Top Bottom