• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes January 13th

samar11

I just checked Best sellers 2015 on amazon which is basically January and it looks like PS4 is ranked 12 and xbox one ranked 17. Think the gap will keep growing until the end of the month.

i'm always excited for sales data

there's some interesting stuff in those reports

also, i really want to know how low sales of the crew are

Alright... Which had the worst December? FH2, the crew, or driveclub? I'm having a hard time picking just one as being worst.

The Crew was available on 3 platforms versus FH2 which is solely on 1. Even with what I imagine to be terrible numbers it should easily surpass 3rd month sales of FH2 considering it's first month sales weren't particularly stellar

Javin98

Banned
I just checked Best sellers 2015 on amazon which is basically January and it looks like PS4 is ranked 12 and xbox one ranked 17. Think the gap will keep growing until the end of the month.
With the XB1 back to $399 and the PS4 offering a free copy of TLOU, I think the gap will be bigger than it was last January.

allan-bh

The Crew was available on 3 platforms versus FH2 which is solely on 1. Even with what I imagine to be terrible numbers it should easily surpass 3rd month sales of FH2 considering it's first month sales weren't particularly stellar

Forza Horizon 2 is on Xbox One and 360.

donny2112

With the XB1 back to $399 and the PS4 offering a free copy of TLOU, I think the gap will be bigger than it was last January.

Last January, the XB1 entry price was at $500 and the PS4 was at $400. This January, the XB1 entry price is at $400 and the PS4 is at $400. Free games of ACU and TLOU mixed in there somewhere. Would seem to make some difference, unless the thought is that XB1 will crash harder than it did last January.

Javin98

Banned
Last January, the XB1 entry price was at $500 and the PS4 was at $400. This January, the XB1 entry price is at $400 and the PS4 is at $400. Free games of ACU and TLOU mixed in there somewhere. Would seem to make some difference, unless the thought is that XB1 will crash harder than it did last January.
LOL, really? It was $499 this time last year? Shit, I'm forgetful as hell. In that case, I wouldn't be so sure about my statement above but I wouldn't be surprised if that was true. We do have evidence by fellow Gaffers that thousands of X1 are just sitting in stores and warehouses after all

I'm of the opinion that One is going to crater to almost WiiUvian levels.

Last year the only price you knew you could get One at was $499. This year at $399 you know you just missed $349 and as good as $329 with games.

That's a newly minted psychological barrier MS is going to have to pierce through in the new year. I think it could potentially be a very hard fall for the first half of the year if they aren't forced to change their pricing again sooner than later.

It's totally possible I'm being alarmist. But I like to dabble in extremes. I've got one of the higher One predictions in the NPD Dec prediction thread, and subsequently expect the largest dropoff.

We'll see though!

It could be just as crazy as my pre-generation expectation of absolutely insane WiiU sales.

Bgamer90

Banned

LOL, really? It was $499 this time last year? Shit, I'm forgetful as hell. In that case, I wouldn't be so sure about my statement above but I wouldn't be surprised if that was true. We do have evidence by fellow Gaffers that thousands of X1 are just sitting in stores and warehouses after all

Yeah, I would be really surprised if January is close to a 2:1 like last year.

GnawtyDog

Banned

No way. While a site like Amazon usually reflects hardcore preferences, retailers frequented by casuals like Target do not react as quickly. I think Xbox One momentum in retail stores will stay strong for January.

In all honesty it's up in the air. I do however have no doubt that February is in Sony's bag and beyond that until E3 2015.

Kayant

14 hours remaining until npd numbers

we'll see how the situation unfolds

maybe there will be random pokemon anime videos posted for no particular reason

Chobel

Ah I did forget about that. A bit of a more interesting comparison but it's still FH2's 3rd month versus The Crew's first month. We'll see I guess

FH2 looks like it has good legs, it started with 120K in Sept NPD which we can agree it's kinda bad, however its LTD by November was 300K.

samar11

No way. While a site like Amazon usually reflects hardcore preferences, retailers frequented by casuals like Target do not react as quickly. I think Xbox One momentum in retail stores will stay strong for January.

In all honesty it's up in the air. I do however have no doubt that February is in Sony's bag and beyond that until E3 2015.

November amazon had xbox one a higher ranking then ps4 and the results in NPD showed that, same with DEC and basing on the ranking xbox one will take DEC too. I think amazon is a good indicator.

Edit: I am a full member, woo!

Moneal

November amazon had xbox one a higher ranking then ps4 and the results in NPD showed that, same with DEC and basing on the ranking xbox one will take DEC too. I think amazon is a good indicator.

i believe amazon rankings have been correct for the winner each month. can't remember any month where it wasn't.

stryke

Why is Infamous so high on Amazon? I know it's cheap but it's not firesale cheap. Don't tell me First Light is actually driving some sales?

Holy shit that xbox one drop to 34th place was so quick lol

The X1 is going to crash so hard this month. Ms should know that they cannot hope to compete at the same price. Only reason they did so well the last two months was because they were upwards of 100 bucks cheaper (plus free AC). They need to be cheaper otherwise there's little reason for the average consumer to pick it over a PS4.

Osahi

Ps4 had some stock issues though last january if i'm not mistaken. So hard to compare anyway

I hope we get insider info on KH2.5 performance. It bombed in JP and EU compared to the first collection and I expect NA to be the worst considering the PS3 exclusivity. Never change SE.

But as the topic is on hardware I expect PS4 and XBO to be very close with XBO on the lead.

Holy shit that xbox one drop to 34th place was so quick lol

I don't think that is terribly surprising. The bundle/pricedrop time shifted a lot of sales. It was a very successful holiday season at the expense of early 2015. I think they come out on top even with this slowdown. It proved that it can move systems if they price it right.

Chris1

I don't think that is terribly surprising. The bundle/pricedrop time shifted a lot of sales. It was a very successful holiday season at the expense of early 2015. I think they come out on top even with this slowdown. It proved that it can move systems if they price it right.

Yeah MS is going to tank the first few months of 2015 until the price drop becomes 'old news' and forgotten. I doubt MS will even be competing in sales until like April, even then PS4 will likely still win, just not by as much.

Yeah MS is going to tank the first few months of 2015 until the price drop becomes 'old news' and forgotten. I doubt MS will even be competing in sales until like April, even then PS4 will likely still win, just not by as much.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is happening in April? If it is just after Sony's first party releases in February and March, then won't the PS4 still continue to do better with 3rd party releases?

Chobel

Good luck with that.

Chris1

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is happening in April? If it is just after Sony's first party releases in February and March, then won't the PS4 still continue to do better with 3rd party releases?
No, it was just a random month I predict the xbox sales start to stabilize from the price drop. I expect anyone who planned to buy it in the very early months of 2015 would have just bought it while it was on a discount, but April imo seems deep enough into the year for the price drop effect to start recovering and for people to forget/not care that it was cheaper a few month before.

No real meaning behind it, just seems like a good month for people to start picking up xbox at it's normal rate again. I mean, I don't think the sales will stay complete shit until the next price drop, sure some people will wait but I think if you wanted to pick it up then you would there and then, not wait 6+ months in hopes of a price cut

No, it was just a random month I predict the xbox sales start to stabilize from the price drop. I expect anyone who planned to buy it in the very early months of 2015 would have just bought it while it was on a discount, but April imo seems deep enough into the year for the price drop effect to start recovering and for people to forget/not care that it was cheaper a few month before.

No real meaning behind it, just seems like a good month for people to start picking up xbox at it's normal rate again. I mean, I don't think the sales will stay complete shit until the next price drop, sure some people will wait but I think if you wanted to pick it up then you would there and then, not wait 6+ months in hopes of a price cut

Ok, that makes sense^^ I was afraid I missed something like a date for Fable Legends or something like that^^

Javin98

Banned

Whatever momentum Microsoft built with the X1 during the holiday season was crushed when they raised the price back up to $399. To add insult to injury, the next time they cut the price to $349 again, there will be significantly less interest.

Welfare

Might as well post that chartzz, while late, still made it in before NPD was released.

Xbox One - 1268k
PS4 - 1091k
3DS - 909k
Wii U - 545k
360 - 353k
PS3 - 123k

PhatSaqs

Banned
Come out on top in what terms? In January? No chances at all. December? Of course.

Definitely Driveclub, it's no competition really. Which had the second worst December? Now that's hard.

Driveclub. They're not giving it away in America like they are in the UK. It was dead on arrival here and nothing has changed since.

i'll take driveclub for $100, alex

Sounds like a consensus... but I want to believe that The Crew can do it. Sad that this is the thing I'm most interested in seeing in today's data. That and wondering if PS3 can break 100k. Ugh.

Top Bottom