• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Del Taco adds new 1+ pound Huevos Rancheros Epic Burrito to breakfast menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/taco-746422-breakfast-new.html

With foot traffic lagging at quick-service restaurants, chains are battling on all fronts to gain the attention of fast-food eaters.

One of the most competitive battlegrounds is breakfast. And Lake Forest-based Del Taco is preparing to unleash one of its biggest weapons on the morning grub frontline: a 17-ounce Huevos Rancheros Epic Burrito.

After testing it in the Inland Empire and Palm Springs, Del Taco plans to roll out the $4.99 breakfast burrito Thursday, March 23.

“It’s going to be one of our biggest burritos yet,” said Anne Albertine, Del Taco’s director of research and development.

The super burrito is a portable version of the classic Mexican brunch staple, stuffed with scrambled eggs (sorry, no runny eggs), chorizo, cheese, roasted chili salsa, sliced avocado and sour cream. To ensure its flavor authenticity, the burrito is lined with two 6-inch corn tortillas.

“This is a real biggie. It’ll power you up for the day,” chef Albertine said during a recent preview in the Del Taco test kitchen.

It’s one of five new breakfast items coming to the Del Taco menu as the chain steps up new menu items to stay relevant. The other items include a new orange juice brand and three egg-stuffed “rollers,” a soft taco rolled up to look like a mini-burrito.

Del Taco mentioned the new morning lineup during a Monday conference call with investors. The chain, the second largest Mexican fast-food brand by restaurant count, reported same restaurant sales growth of 5.5 percent for the fourth quarter ended Jan. 3. It was the 13th consecutive quarter of positive results.

“We believe our aggressive focus on menu development keeps the brand fresh, and gives our guests new reasons to come back,” Cappasola Jr. said in the conference with investors.

Del Taco is outperforming the fast-food industry, which has seen foot-traffic and sales lag.
In February, overall sales were down 4 percent while foot traffic was down 3.9 percent, according to data by restaurant market research firm TDn2K. Fast-casual chains, a typically hot segment that includes premium quick-service brands like Panera Bread and Chipotle Mexican Grill, are also experiencing a downturn. TDn2K said fast-casual sales are down 2.8 percent, and foot traffic is down 6 percent.

On March 23, Del Taco is expanding its chorizo offerings. Besides the Huevos Rancheros Epic Burrito, the chain is adding a $1 chorizo breakfast roller. It is among three new items Del Taco is adding to its Buck & Under at Breakfast menu, which will grow to nine items from six. The other two $1 items are an egg and cheese breakfast roller and a bacon breakfast roller.

Del Taco is also replacing Minute Maid orange juice with Simply Orange juice.

Del Taco’s research lab, like other fast-food test kitchens, has been busy creating a wide-range of food to appeal to diners with varying budgets. Epic burritos, premium salads and the recently launched Platos meals are items developed to lure “fast casual” eaters.

Q2O0zZX.jpg

ntgBQzC.jpg

Dc0zdRW.jpg

shit, a new del taco opened ~1 mile away from me, I haven't eaten there in years but that looks fucking tasty. be breakfast + lunch + dinner in one meal

norm9

Damn. I don't eat breakfast but I'd try that. My Del Taco usual is two soft tacos and 1/2 lb bean and cheese burito with green sauce coming out to a very efficient 2 bucks and some change.

Instro

Is Del Taco better than Taco Bell? The latter is usually pretty gross, and I haven't been to the former since I was a child.

norm9

Is Del Taco better than Taco Bell? The latter is usually pretty gross, and I haven't been to the former since I was a child.

I think Del Taco smells better. Taco Bell has that distinct Taco Bell smell like Subway has that Subway smell.

ReAxion

in a crunchy taco 1:1 fight, i prefer del taco, but they do different things. taco bell is the more "go nuts" approach while del taco stays more traditional.

del taco does more in-store prep, too. whereas i think everything from taco bell comes in a bag from the distributor. fresh-grated cheese from del taco is noticeably better.

SpecX

Is this out now? Last time I visited Del Taco they had a coming soon sticker on the window for this. I'll be honest, I'll give it a shot since it sounds delicious.

Love Del Taco, but their giant burritos are a mess. There's a point where they jam so much stuff in that the flavor isn't even good anymore. This one will just end up tasting like sour cream.

Yes. Taco Bell is trash by comparison. Turkey Del Tacos are awesome.

The only thing I don't like about them is if you get the tacos + fries meal they give you hot sauce but no ketchup... I never remember to ask so I'm eating fries without ketchup like some goddamn savage.

see5harp

I didn't know del taco was from lake forest. Not sure I need to be eating a one pound burrito for breakfast either. Seriously I'd be asleep by 9 am if I ate that.

Flour and corn tortillas sounds like an interesting mix.
Very curious about that roasted sauce too.
I wonder if it will be sold all day, or limited to morning (breakfast hours).

One of the Del Tacos in my neighborhood got replaced by a Chik Fil A. We now have more Chik Fil As in a 5 mile radius than probably all of SoCal.

So I looked up the nutrition and it's fucking ridiculous any time of day let alone breakfast:

Calories: 1120
Fat: 62g
Saturated Fat: 24g
Sodium: 2100g
Carbs: 91g

An entire day's worth of sodium for breakfast. What a fantastic idea.

ReAxion

So I looked up the nutrition and it's fucking ridiculous any time of day let alone breakfast:

that's the real reason they call it fast food. first you fast, then you food.

Actually Breakfast would be the best time to eat something so unhealthy because you can burn it off.
provided you didnt eat anything else all day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom