• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Chiggs

Gold Member
Can't remember if he did that in NG+1 in the original DeS. But if he didn't, that's a good change from Bluepoint, giving some additional challenge to slightly counter some of the people using a certain ring.

He didn't from my experience. I couldn't figure out why it was taking so long.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Watching a vid and in the nexus there is a choir in the background... what happened to the nexus theme? Is it still there?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Haha love how when you put on the Official’s Hat you start laughing. Doing that witch Yuria side quest right now.

I switched to cinematic view to try that out. it’s a different experience! I like it! I’m glad they put it in, getting native 4K at a far more solid frame rate than the original ever did. When standing still it’s easy to tell this is a crisper image.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Watching a vid and in the nexus there is a choir in the background... what happened to the nexus theme? Is it still there?
There's a change to the music in the original too at some point, might be related to the presence of Yurt, or not, I forget.

Last edited:
If you know how to use it...
I would say summoning is more of an easy mode. Magic has some negatives, it's not all positives.
Generally yes. It starts out with great Magic and Faith stats and overall magic is fairly easy compared to many other styles of play. That being said there are many factors that can make the game easier or harder.

Play whatever class you want.
Cool thanks

Royal or Knight.
Royal is the easiest of the casters, knight is the easiest of the melee classes.
Do a run with each type, the game feels different when you Change the type of character. Somethings become easier and others become harder.
Cool thanks,what item should I pick I think with my priest I had the green jelly.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Cinematic mode is choppy until you crank the motion blur all the way up. Then it’s actually pretty competitive w Performance mode.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Cinematic mode is choppy until you crank the motion blur all the way up. Then it’s actually pretty competitive w Performance mode.

I always turn off motion blur in games, but then again I'm not playing on cinematic mode.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Cool thanks,what item should I pick I think with my priest I had the green jelly.
The Ring or Firebombs. The ring makes farming easier, for me that is much more important than one use consumables, but this is more thinking of later stages in the game. For early use, the Firebombs are great for the first boss.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
im only just now getting into the photo mode. some photos:

wQAiLyp.jpg

Q7A3dPp.jpg

YGhntVe.jpg

Rl3AbKq.jpg

poQ5VAA.jpg

917VPxn.jpg

2AdEPT

Are they still limited to 4 spawns?
I always try to save them for PBWT, but some it's simply impossible (like 2-1).

Yes. I think the respawn rate is similar. I really wanted all the chunks and pure moonshadowstone at the end of 4.3 and died 2-3 times from the mantas but I think I got all of it.

decisions

It's interesting that this game doesn't seem to have any penalty for quitting suddenly and not saving. I accidentally did that since the PS5 has no "are you sure you want to close the running application?" screen if you accidentally select another game. I thought I had lost some progress but it seems like you just start where you left off no problem. I'm sure this is unreliable and I won't do this intentionally but IIRC the previous Souls games would start you from the nearest bonfire if you didn't select the "save and exit" option? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Either way this game is amazing. I'm actually finding myself more often choosing the 30fps mode on my 4KTV. I know this is a controversial opinion, but there's something about the level of visual fidelity this game has reached that makes me feel like things look more natural and cinematic at 30fps. I feel like things are moving too quickly and too smoothly on the 60fps mode, and I've never felt this way about a game before. Am I crazy or what?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Cleared 3-1 tonight. The atmosphere in there is so good. The lighting, colors and sounds throughout the whole level. Damn.

Is there a way to get the Nexus guy to sell better healing items other then the weakest one?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Cleared 3-1 tonight. The atmosphere in there is so good. The lighting, colors and sounds throughout the whole level. Damn.

Is there a way to get the Nexus guy to sell better healing items other then the weakest one?

Clear 1-2 and you'll have an easy spot right at the waypoint for farming large amounts of grass.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Fuck Maneaters in New Game+. I killed one, then the other flew off and got stuck on the cathedral about 300 feet above me. I had to reload my game and it puts me outside the fog gate. I go in and the first thing the Maneater does is knock me off the ledge.

FUCK YOU, BLUEPOINT

8em1Wls.jpg

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member

Not sure how much of a spoiler this is, but:

You can find Patches the Hyena in 2-1 who will then be located in the Nexus and sell higher tier grass items (and one of them is discounted).

There are also several other NPCs near archstones throughout the game who sell various grass items.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I'm actually finding myself more often choosing the 30fps mode on my 4KTV. I know this is a controversial opinion, but there's something about the level of visual fidelity this game has reached that makes me feel like things look more natural and cinematic at 30fps. I feel like things are moving too quickly and too smoothly on the 60fps mode, and I've never felt this way about a game before. Am I crazy or what?
Cinematic mode is vastly underrated imo. So glad they included the option

Yoboman

Gold Member
Clear 1-2 and you'll have an easy spot right at the waypoint for farming large amounts of grass.
I farm early souls and grass in 1-1. Once you've levelled a little, you can go through and beat 3 blue knights and the red knight and you'll pick up 3,000-4,000 souls a run and a lot of grass too

R6Rider

Gold Member
Also, had my first invasions tonight :messenger_sunglasses: Normally I suicide or die early on in new areas as I explore and attempt stupid things. This time was different as I made it to 1-3 and was exploring the area. That spot with the open platform and the giant flaming ball that rolls down the stairs is where it all went down.

First guy was obviously a newer player, and I got one hit on him with Giant Club R1 as he attempted to spam his sword at me. He panics and rolls off the edge right onto the flaming boulder thing, killing himself. I have a laugh, grab a few items and make it half way up the stairs.

Second invader message pops up. I head back down to the flat area I was at before. Big chef hat invader starts spamming magic attacks across the courtyard to no avail. He finally gave up that strategy and made his way up to me. Lots of misses from each of us and then he gets two huge attacks off leaving me with about 10 HP, but just as his attack hits my R2 comes down on him, and then again, and then one final slam as he attempts to roll away each time. Sorry buddy, Giant Club says no.

Laughing at my luck and also worried about losing my near 20k souls I have, I make my way to the top of the stairs finally. Third invasion message pops as I'm baiting a Red Eyed Knight...great. After killing the knight and still not seeing the invader I head back down the stairs yet again to the makeshift arena. Waited here for awhile and nothing. Finally see him across the courtyard and he emotes. I open menu to emote back and he tries hurling some magic my way. I respond with the facepalm emote. He then rushes the stairs and is almost immediately met with a combo that sends him flying through the air and right on top of the still flaming boulder. Another invader dead.

It was a good day of Demon's Souls!

Yoboman

Gold Member
Also, had my first invasions tonight :messenger_sunglasses: Normally I suicide or die early on in new areas as I explore and attempt stupid things. This time was different as I made it to 1-3 and was exploring the area. That spot with the open platform and the giant flaming ball that rolls down the stairs is where it all went down.

First guy was obviously a newer player, and I got one hit on him with Giant Club R1 as he attempted to spam his sword at me. He panics and rolls off the edge right onto the flaming boulder thing, killing himself. I have a laugh, grab a few items and make it half way up the stairs.

Second invader message pops up. I head back down to the flat area I was at before. Big chef hat invader starts spamming magic attacks across the courtyard to no avail. He finally gave up that strategy and made his way up to me. Lots of misses from each of us and then he gets two huge attacks off leaving me with about 10 HP, but just as his attack hits my R2 comes down on him, and then again, and then one final slam as he attempts to roll away each time. Sorry buddy, Giant Club says no.

Laughing at my luck and also worried about losing my near 20k souls I have, I make my way to the top of the stairs finally. Third invasion message pops as I'm baiting a Red Eyed Knight...great. After killing the knight and still not seeing the invader I head back down the stairs yet again to the makeshift arena. Waited here for awhile and nothing. Finally see him across the courtyard and he emotes. I open menu to emote back and he tries hurling some magic my way. I respond with the facepalm emote. He then rushes the stairs and is almost immediately met with a combo that sends him flying through the air and right on top of the still flaming boulder. Another invader dead.

It was a good day of Demon's Souls!
Umbasa

I haven’t really progressed much but I’ve been sort of grinding as I feel like I need some more strength as melee class is tough in a lot of situations especially in narrow corridors.

I beat the spider and have been grinding the skeletons in 4-1. I had collected up 14k souls from grinding and made a stupid mistake died and then another stupid mistake and lost the souls I’d grinded. I just laughed at myself cause it was my fault. I’m grinding because I’m trying to learn to parry with the weird off timing of these guys and it’s really interesting how much difference good weapons and gear can make!

Seriously this game is stupidly good the level design is out of this world. I actually look forward to replaying as a magic user with light armour and see what kind of difference it makes. I’m so glad I pushed through and kept at it until I learned despite how hard I find it. I’m one of those people who thought this game should have an easy mode but I think I understand now why it would ruin the game to have it there.

I farm early souls and grass in 1-1. Once you've levelled a little, you can go through and beat 3 blue knights and the red knight and you'll pick up 3,000-4,000 souls a run and a lot of grass too

Red eyes still one shoting me. Blues are easy now though. Think im only soul level 22 or something so still early I think. Level 99 cap?

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I haven’t really progressed much but I’ve been sort of grinding as I feel like I need some more strength as melee class is tough in a lot of situations especially in narrow corridors.

I beat the spider and have been grinding the skeletons in 4-1. I had collected up 14k souls from grinding and made a stupid mistake died and then another stupid mistake and lost the souls I’d grinded. I just laughed at myself cause it was my fault. I’m grinding because I’m trying to learn to parry with the weird off timing of these guys and it’s really interesting how much difference good weapons and gear can make!

Seriously this game is stupidly good the level design is out of this world. I actually look forward to replaying as a magic user with light armour and see what kind of difference it makes. I’m so glad I pushed through and kept at it until I learned despite how hard I find it. I’m one of those people who thought this game should have an easy mode but I think I understand now why it would ruin the game to have it there.

Red eyes still one shooting me. Blues are easy now though.
With caster or dex builds dodging is better than blocking.
I tend to enjoy magic more because I love the risk/advantage of playing in hyper mode.

Vtecomega

Banned
Hi guys. HDR looks completely broken for me for most ps5 games. Everything is complety washed out and terrible looking. My bldcks are basically white grey. Turning off HDR in Demon Souls makes it look a million times better.

A lot of people on Reddit have reported the same thing thing.

No matter what settings I change. Limited to full range it still looks washed out.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

cormack12

Gold Member
Hi guys. HDR looks completely broken for me for most ps5 games. Everything is complety washed out and terrible looking. My bldcks are basically white grey. Turning off HDR in Demon Souls makes it look a million times better.

A lot of people on Reddit have reported the same thing thing.

No matter what settings I change. Limited to full range it still looks washed out.

Is anyone else having the same issue?

Try changing your 4K transfer rate to -1 or -2 until it's patched

Settings > Screen and Video > Video Output > 4K Video Transfer Rate

Red eyes still one shoting me. Blues are easy now though. Think im only soul level 22 or something so still early I think. Level 99 cap?

The level cap is 792.

Last edited:
Top Bottom