• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

I haven’t defeated any demons yet but I’ll spoiler the whole thing anyway because it’s got to be new for more people than just me. It’s just early game summary and thoughts what I should be doing next.
I’ve just reached the place with the two dragons and I feel like I shouldn’t be taking them on just yet but I’m pretty sure they’re going to one hit me. I found a ring that makes my soul form have 25% extra health so that is good. I have a feeling I’m supposed to run across the bridge where the red dragon flies to before he gets there but I also have 2000 souls which is the most I’ve had so far and I expect I’m going to die trying especially because there looks to be so many dudes on the other side.

Alas I expect to die so I think I’m going to stock up on healing herbs from the merchant. Looking at what the merchant has I wonder if I should grind some souls in this early area and get the plate armour set it’s only slightly less armour they the flute plate but seems to be less weight.

Edit: Woop! I made it past and opened the front door I think that’s gotta be the first boss demon in there since he’s so close to the spawn point. I spent my souls but I mean I’ll probably die on the boss first try anyway.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1 down. It’s been a long time since the original’s launch on PS3, so with the new cost of paint it feels fresh, but still hits all the right nostalgia notes. I’m definitely a lot more competent now than I was back then, after DS 1-3, BB, and Sekiro, so I haven’t died much and haven’t needed to do much farming aside from keeping grass stocked.

There’s an aura of specialness to this game, like all the Miyazaki Souls games, and I’m glad it’s going to be exposed to so many new people as a system seller PS5 launch title, and at a gorgeous 60fps with negligible load times too. Props to Bluepoint for their technical prowess and capturing the soul of the original fully intact.

Woop! Beat the first demon first try!! Not that hard at all actually I’m sure that will change though. I’m so glad I gave this game another chance. It’s so enjoyable and SO rewarding. You really just have to play differently. You’ve gotta go slow and treat every enemy seriously. It’s great. Really great. I don’t think I could enjoy it before ps5 though it’s the death loading that killed me with frustration before.

I thought of something I don’t think was in the original. Photo mode is pause button ;)

Last edited:
cover2.jpg

Go forth, ye slayer of demons!

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
What’s the suggested starting class and build for a first run?

I’m noticing some bodies with glowing lights in the nexus but every time I try roll or jump off the edge I die from fall damage. There has to be some way to reach those things though...

edit: nvm figured it out

Last edited:

2AdEPT

How do I resist the urge not to look up what to do? I have beaten Dark Souls 1 & 3, and Bloodbourne, but usually I use a guide to get started.
Definitely look up how to upgrade your weapons and spells, definitely do not look up how to beat bosses. Also look up how to change world tendency. Generally speaking you want to kill bosses in one archstone (usually at least two but maybe all three) and then go back to the start of the level to see if doors open up or place thast were impassable are now open. The locked gate in world 1 is an example. If you kill the first two bosses and maybe the dragon then the gate right at the start opens up in pure white world tendency. Then once that is out of the way you can move the world dark by dying as a human over asnd over using ephemeral eye stones or helping others as a blue phantom, becoming human , then dying inthe world you wish to turn black rinse and repeat. There are INCREDIBLE rewards for doing this so I would look it up first playthrough where most would suggest wait for a second playthrough....you only get one virgin run and if you dont do world tendency the first time it is a poor virgin experience IMO. Black in particular increases the number of enemies with special drops by at least one per area. They usually appear as black (they show up as red) phantoms. Sometimes the same character will show up with both white and black forms, for example teh level one character drops her armour for white and her weapon for black. You really cant cosplay unless you have both so do both imo.

Last time I played Demon's Souls 10 years ago. This will be quite a trip by the memory lane. What is some of the fun builds you guys can recommend me?
1.) Demon Mage...go full Royal at first with a thin skinny femaile charter but then pump strength and use the dragon bone smasher with cursed weapon.
2.) Blueblood build - start with dex but then pump luck and swithch to Blueblood sword...its a rare specialty sword that can be buffed ...again roll with cursed weapon.
3,) faith but really max out and stack all the health regen in the game, i.e. adjudicator shield, regen ring, and a blessed weapon. Get Great sword of Moonlight as ealry as possible.
4.) Hypoer mode build (not for the faint of heart) This is what Im doign rigth now. You become a glass cannon. No other game in in the souls universe min/maxes harder then Demons. Especially as a mage, you can wear ridiculous amounts of gear to both enter hyper mode (which generally starts with clever rat ring and morion blade,) but on your way there and even afterward, you can use rings, head gear, and even holding the Kris blade to increase magic power while making you vulnerable to magic......you basically can t get hit but you do unfathomable amounts of damge.

I am still working on it so no "how to" videos yet. but I am streaming on twitch and the tears are flowing early on :messenger_tears_of_joy: I am rusty, and underpowered with 8 vitality and get one shot all the time...but since I know the secrets I need to challenge myself and relive the over and over run to the boss like the rest of you so Im doing it anyway. lol. I am going live tonight trying to do flamelurker some say the hardest boss in demons. We will see if I have to pump some vitality, but I dont really want to use some of the cheese tactics I used in 2009 like the bones methods and arrows. It may come to the purple flame shield though....we will see.

I am Adept Erik on twitch

What’s the suggested starting class and build for a first run?
There is no best character as it depends on what you want to do later. That said here are the "best" ones in my mind:

Royal. Even though you dont have to use magic if you dont want to, you start at soul level 1 and can construct your charactger any way you want with least "firmware" stats that you may or may not want once you change your mind and decide. If you know full on that you wont use any magic (you could at least consider some of the entry level spells for healing and minor ranged attacks early on) then choose something else.

Temple Knight is good for weapon shield and armour as well as a talisman for miracles..this is pain to get otherwise. You get a healing spike with this character.

Thief - the leather armour you get is the lightest in the game for what it gives you....poison defense (yes you will need it) and generally decent defense against a wide range of attacks but still light as hell is a winning combination.

Hunter - having a bow early is huge...no other reason but this.

The others arent advantageous IMO and are just filler fluff.

Last edited:

gioGAF

Any changes to any of the weapons? Everything was great for me on the original, except for some of the legendary weapons being kinda trash (Just to name a few: Bramd, Istarelle, Phosphorescent Pole, Penetrating Sword). I was hoping they would at least give them damage and scaling parameters close to those of their standard versions, while maintaining their special effect and higher equip requirements (though some of those needed to be fixed as well = Phosphorescent Pole required 16*/16/12/0, I always thought that should have been 16*/12/16/0).

In any case, I think no changes is probably better than some changes. Given the way things are, the whiners would want everything nerfed into the ground.

Just played for the first time.

Wow is it ever pretty. Finished 1-1 without dieing then thought I'd hit my old favorite 4-1, and died. Trying a dex/hunter build this time as I never did in the first game.

timmyp53

I feel so dumb. Trying to find where to go from 2-2. I know theres a boss somewhere here. Flamelurker I think. I'll have to keep going in circles till I figure out what I overlooked.

Chiggs

Gold Member
New Game+ is harder in the remake than it is in the original. Luckily:
  • Northern Regalia obtained
  • Bone Smasher +5 obtained
  • Estoc +10 obtained
  • Crescent Falchion +5 obtained
  • Long Bow +10 obtained
  • Lava Bow obtained
  • Insanity Catalyst obtained.
Come at me, bro.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Finished 5-1 tonight and got the lovely CE-108255-1. I’ve reached out and asked what the hell is going on. It doesn’t always happen, but this is the 3rd time upon entering the Nexus and I’ve played for 10 hours.

Spider boss just owned me. I’m done for the day I think. Seems he would be easier with magic or ranged attacks and I haven’t learned any magic yet. Probably gonna have to come back.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Spider boss just owned me. I’m done for the day I think. Seems he would be easier with magic or ranged attacks and I haven’t learned any magic yet. Probably gonna have to come back.

Walk through the fog gate, take an immediate right and hug the wall. Pull out bow. Shoot spider with arrows. Win fight.

He’ll hit you with webbing, but everything else will miss, including the fire.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Walk through the fog gate, take an immediate right and hug the wall. Pull out bow. Shoot spider with arrows. Win fight.

I did exactly that back in PS3 but in remake I decided fight it face to face and spider's attack patters are not that hard to avoid.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I did exactly that back in PS3 but in remake I decided fight it face to face and spider's attack patters are not that hard to avoid.

In the remake, you can’t:

1. Poison False King Allant with Acid Cloud or Death Cloud
2. Kill a Maneater through the fog gate

So, damn it, I am cheesing Armored Spider. :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

I only have a fairly crud bow and not many arrows. I’ll give this a try though. Is there a good place to find arrows or do I buy them from blacksmith?

I have no compunction about cheesing bosses.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Poison False King Allant with Acid Cloud or Death Cloud
I fought him face to face, and maybe because my Soul level was too low, because some of his attacks would just one shot kills me. But I did eventually beat him, his close/mid range attacks are fast but his long distance attacks are easy do dodge and easy to punish.

Grinchy

Banned
I almost hate to admit this, but I had never fought the spider legitimately before. Back when this game was new, I found out the cheese strategy of hiding behind the part of the wall that blocks all of its attacks while you just shoot it with a million arrows.

So a few attempts on him with the legit, up-in-your-face way of fighting was so much fun. I got it down to the point where I could just 2-hand my weapon and dodge everything he tried to hit me with. It got the heart pumping, that's for sure.

Grinchy

Banned
So is this a bug? In 2-2, when you go down an elevator and run into a tunnel, you find 2 red phantoms. I ran away and went activated the elevator to take me back up. They seem to have despawned forever. I've been back down there a bunch of times and they've never come back.

And in 2-1, I knocked a crystal lizard off the side of the cliff. I tried re-logging, but there was no drop when I got back in.

2AdEPT

So is this a bug? In 2-2, when you go down an elevator and run into a tunnel, you find 2 red phantoms. I ran away and went activated the elevator to take me back up. They seem to have despawned forever. I've been back down there a bunch of times and they've never come back.

And in 2-1, I knocked a crystal lizard off the side of the cliff. I tried re-logging, but there was no drop when I got back in.
They fall down the elevator shat easily...if you wnat their drop, ensure the platoform is at your leve so they cant fall down...there drops stay down in the depths also and I dont think you can survive the fall. I dont think crystal lizard drops will ever do that...it was one of the annoying aspects of the game before and it is still there now. That said htey nerfed the difficulty of actully getting the lixards legit...I get way more lizards now.

Ar¢tos

They fall down the elevator shat easily...if you wnat their drop, ensure the platoform is at your leve so they cant fall down...there drops stay down in the depths also and I dont think you can survive the fall. I dont think crystal lizard drops will ever do that...it was one of the annoying aspects of the game before and it is still there now. That said htey nerfed the difficulty of actully getting the lixards legit...I get way more lizards now.
Are they still limited to 4 spawns?
I always try to save them for PBWT, but some it's simply impossible (like 2-1).

Last edited:
I only have a fairly crud bow and not many arrows. I’ll give this a try though. Is there a good place to find arrows or do I buy them from blacksmith?

I have no compunction about cheesing bosses.

If you want to do it straight, it's just as easy to just dodge the fire and spider webs towards the spider, then bait his front attack (not the sideways one, but the one where he hits down and just ends up sitting there). Then it's free hit time. Once he starts leaking fire goo, then run back to the back of the tunnel. Rinse and repeat.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well I think I've hit a bug and I've not been able to continue, been trying for over an hour now.

I just beat the first boss, the shield ball guy. I warped back to the Nexus and was greeted by the sorceress which triggered a cutscene that showed going up the stairs etc. "The monumental awaits thee" is all she says when I talk to her. I've been over every nook and cranny in the Nexus, all the way to the top and back down again. I finally checked a guide online (though I swore I wouldn't, but this was frustrating) - and it says that the dude sitting upright with the candle on the balcony area was who I needed to talk to. The guy is there, but I can't interact with him - no button prompts at all it's just like he's part of the scenery. Tried restarting the game. Tried restarting the PS5 completely. No dice.

Anyone had this happen to them? Any known fixes?

Valonquar

This is what im looking at doing. Any tips? Did you suicide run to get the hammer early doors?

Whats the easiest farming method you had for fragments?

Whats the easiest way of farming for colourless demon souls? The best levels/quickest methods to turn black?

Suicide run for hammer, then for farming the fragments, a lot of dying repeatedly until I was able to make it to the other side of the bridge in 5-2 to kick it down. Once that shortcut is open, it makes it much easier to run to the "village" of depraveds that has 3 or 4 shamans. Kill the shamans for shards, die, repeat a LOT.
Colorless demon souls a bit more tedious. Get 2 trading to sparkly the crow -> Gold mask from center of 3-2 after heart is killed, and Talisman of God from 4-1 nearish start. For the other 3, if you want them in one run, get 3 zones to pure black world tendency and kill the Priveval Demon (which will reset that world back to neutral after) 2-1, 1-5, and 4-2 are the easiest ones to get to.
I found 4-2 to be the best spot to farm souls, drop, kill reaper, run out and hug left side of cliff to make 2 skels roll off cliff, kill archer, then TRY to kill next two guys with big swords. Either die from them, or kill them and jump off cliff. Repeat, grabbing your soul pile until it's large enough to warrant a trip back to town. You want 28 stam, 20 faith and then all the vitality to 99 (the higher it goes the more regen you'll get)
It is worth noting though, that if you raise your vit too high, you won't be able to summon helpers, or invade people much since you'll be too high for most early players right now.

cormack12

Gold Member
Have you checked a vid? Sometimes easier to see rather than read?

Suicide run for hammer, then for farming the fragments, a lot of dying repeatedly until I was able to make it to the other side of the bridge in 5-2 to kick it down. Once that shortcut is open, it makes it much easier to run to the "village" of depraveds that has 3 or 4 shamans. Kill the shamans for shards, die, repeat a LOT.
Colorless demon souls a bit more tedious. Get 2 trading to sparkly the crow -> Gold mask from center of 3-2 after heart is killed, and Talisman of God from 4-1 nearish start. For the other 3, if you want them in one run, get 3 zones to pure black world tendency and kill the Priveval Demon (which will reset that world back to neutral after) 2-1, 1-5, and 4-2 are the easiest ones to get to.
I found 4-2 to be the best spot to farm souls, drop, kill reaper, run out and hug left side of cliff to make 2 skels roll off cliff, kill archer, then TRY to kill next two guys with big swords. Either die from them, or kill them and jump off cliff. Repeat, grabbing your soul pile until it's large enough to warrant a trip back to town. You want 28 stam, 20 faith and then all the vitality to 99 (the higher it goes the more regen you'll get)
It is worth noting though, that if you raise your vit too high, you won't be able to summon helpers, or invade people much since you'll be too high for most early players right now.

Legend. Thanks!

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Well I think I've hit a bug and I've not been able to continue, been trying for over an hour now.

I just beat the first boss, the shield ball guy. I warped back to the Nexus and was greeted by the sorceress which triggered a cutscene that showed going up the stairs etc. "The monumental awaits thee" is all she says when I talk to her. I've been over every nook and cranny in the Nexus, all the way to the top and back down again. I finally checked a guide online (though I swore I wouldn't, but this was frustrating) - and it says that the dude sitting upright with the candle on the balcony area was who I needed to talk to. The guy is there, but I can't interact with him - no button prompts at all it's just like he's part of the scenery. Tried restarting the game. Tried restarting the PS5 completely. No dice.

Anyone had this happen to them? Any known fixes?
there should be a guy you can talk to. there are lots of dead monumentals but one that you can talk to. just keep looking around, you'll find him.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Have you checked a vid? Sometimes easier to see rather than read?
Watched several videos yeah, no luck yet.

there should be a guy you can talk to. there are lots of dead monumentals but one that you can talk to. just keep looking around, you'll find him.
There is only one guy with a lit candle and his head held up, at least that I could find. After watching videos, this is definitely the guy I'm supposed to be talking to. Maybe he's just shy? Or my guy is too intimidating :p

I've spent nearly half an hour stopping in front of each of these guys though and have been all the way across both levels of this balcony, no talkie.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
There is only one guy with a lit candle and his head held up, at least that I could find. After watching videos, this is definitely the guy I'm supposed to be talking to. Maybe he's just shy? Or my guy is too intimidating :p

Damn that sucks. I think the rest are dead anyway aren't they just him alive. Are the other archestones opened or are you trapped?

R6Rider

Gold Member

I purposely led one up the elevator with me (which bugged the AI out and allowed me 2 free backstabs) and when I went back down the other one despawned.

jshackles

Damn that sucks. I think the rest are dead anyway aren't they just him alive. Are the other archestones opened or are you trapped?
Yeah there is just the one dude with his head up, staring at me. Well at least it's pretty close to the beginning of the game, I guess I'll just start over 🤷‍♂️

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I had forgotten how expansive Boletaria is as a level! The place is giant and imo is far more indicative of future From level design than anything in Dark Souls. you think about the level design there, the world was tightly coiled around itself like a spiral, and the area most like Boletaria (undead Burg?) is a lot more cramped and claustrophobic.

While there are interiors here in Demon’s there is more space, open courtyards and wide paths w multiple enemies. it makes me think of Bloodborne or Lothric Castle in Dark Souls 3.a lot of Dark Souls 3 cribs from Demon’s, rather than the first DS1. Lothric Castle is a clear homage to Boletaria in many aspects.

Last edited:

Valonquar

I purposely led one up the elevator with me (which bugged the AI out and allowed me 2 free backstabs) and when I went back down the other one despawned.
They most likely fell to their death in the elevator shaft. Reg humanoid red phantoms don't respawn til next NG+ cycle. If it's a named NPC their drop will be at their spawn point.

R6Rider

Gold Member
They most likely fell to their death in the elevator shaft. Reg humanoid red phantoms don't respawn til next NG+ cycle. If it's a named NPC their drop will be at their spawn point.
No items left behind and he was in the tunnel as the elevator went up so I'm not sure. Not a big for me either way.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Only bit of bullshit in this remake has been requiring me to roll to jump the ledge in the tutorial and then punishing me for using roll to jump a ledge in Tower of Latria. Did anyone else have this happen? The original game has you just run against the wall but in the tutorial you have to hit circle as well. Then they change it later!

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
I think Old Hero in New Game+ has regenerating health.

Can't remember if he did that in NG+1 in the original DeS. But if he didn't, that's a good change from Bluepoint, giving some additional challenge to slightly counter some of the people using a certain ring.

Top Bottom