• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

It's interesting that this game doesn't seem to have any penalty for quitting suddenly and not saving. I accidentally did that since the PS5 has no "are you sure you want to close the running application?" screen if you accidentally select another game. I thought I had lost some progress but it seems like you just start where you left off no problem. I'm sure this is unreliable and I won't do this intentionally but IIRC the previous Souls games would start you from the nearest bonfire if you didn't select the "save and exit" option? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Either way this game is amazing. I'm actually finding myself more often choosing the 30fps mode on my 4KTV. I know this is a controversial opinion, but there's something about the level of visual fidelity this game has reached that makes me feel like things look more natural and cinematic at 30fps. I feel like things are moving too quickly and too smoothly on the 60fps mode, and I've never felt this way about a game before. Am I crazy or what?

Cinematic mode felt awful to look at and play on a 1080p panel for Shadow of the Colossus Remake, frame rate looked and played so damn good in SOTC remake. The first thing I'd try when i jump into demon's souls tomorrow is the cinematic mode and how it feels this time around.

Last edited:

Valonquar

So all you do for that luck glitch is use a gold coin (very rare drop from fat doods - farm the one at 2-2 left tunnel) and immediately talk to the maiden in Nexus. Your luck stat keeps counting up. Once you cap level though you won't be able to increase other stats. Apparently you can then have a friend with soul sucker drain levels off of you though for free super leveling.

ghairat

So all you do for that luck glitch is use a gold coin (very rare drop from fat doods - farm the one at 2-2 left tunnel) and immediately talk to the maiden in Nexus. Your luck stat keeps counting up. Once you cap level though you won't be able to increase other stats. Apparently you can then have a friend with soul sucker drain levels off of you though for free super leveling.

Ok hope this glitch doesn't get patched out tomorrow when PS5 releases damn it

Nymphae

Banned
I played a little of this last night for the first time. What I expected, will very much enjoy going through it again.

But it was a pain in the ass playing last night because my friend wanted to come over to see the PS5 and I typically like to start games by myself without running conversations happening, but I figured I'd let him see.

He's backseat gaming and commentating on every single fucking thing I do, and it was throwing me the fuck off. DO THE BACKDASH ATTACK, WHY DID YOU DO THE HEAVY ATTACK, OH MAN YOU ARE GETTING SMOKED, GO TO THE THING TO GET HEALTH, HEAL! HEAL! HEAL! OH THERE'S GUY OVER THERE, GUY BEHIND YOU, HIT THAT GUY, YOU ALMOST DIED

iu

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I played a little of this last night for the first time. What I expected, will very much enjoy going through it again.

But it was a pain in the ass playing last night because my friend wanted to come over to see the PS5 and I typically like to start games by myself without running conversations happening, but I figured I'd let him see.

He's backseat gaming and commentating on every single fucking thing I do, and it was throwing me the fuck off. DO THE BACKDASH ATTACK, WHY DID YOU DO THE HEAVY ATTACK, OH MAN YOU ARE GETTING SMOKED, GO TO THE THING TO GET HEALTH, HEAL! HEAL! HEAL! OH THERE'S GUY OVER THERE, GUY BEHIND YOU, HIT THAT GUY, YOU ALMOST DIED

iu

Dark Souls of friends.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Restarted the game last night after getting a bug that left me stuck in the Nexus.

Got past the first boss again (much easier this time since I knew where to go and what enemies were where), warped back to the Nexus, and was able to talk to the dude in the balcony which triggered the cutscene and unlocked the other levels.

Looking at all these archstones like

giphy.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
So this is rad not only does photo mode let you control color balance brightness contrast saturation etc but you can set whatever you want to custom filter and play the game using your own camera settings! that totally rules

I tried out cinematic mode and it looks really impressive. I'm normally a graphics over framerate person, but for this game I find myself going back to performance mode since it plays smoother.

In any game where timing matters, performance is king.

That's why WoW has a Raid setting, PC FPS players don't ramp up their settings, etc.

Now that I think about it - I really wish more devs would put in an option for performance or quality on console titles. Especially like a 30/60fps toggle.

Last edited:
Just went down the photo mode rabbit hole

DS1.png

DS3.png

DS2.png

The amount of control you have over the lighting is crazy.

Holy shit.

These are the first screens I've seen from a user with close-ups (that isn't a knight in a dark hallway).

I need to leave this thread before I head to eBay and buy a PS5 for $2k.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
jPavcb7.jpg

lol wut? Maiden in Black now has full lips and a younger look. what are they even talking about? making shit up just to bitch.

sBdhfOe.jpg

lol wut are these comments randomly generated or something? did i miss out on a macho boomer Megaman reboot?

DNcktfW.jpg

hah a console warrior troll? certainly there aren't enough of these, we have to outsource to 4chan now?

OHUN5fl.jpg

im sorry ive been playing this game for 20 hours none of these idiotic comments make any sense to me.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I find the fight with Old Hero really fun, not most challenging boss but it still has fun mechanic behind it.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I find the fight with Old Hero really fun, not most challenging boss but it still has fun mechanic behind it.

I had completely forgotten about that fight and was prepared to lose all my souls as I wasn't prepared at all and with almost no healing items left. Walked in, remembered he was blind, and then slapped on my Thief Ring. I do like the more unique fights like this, but they should have done something more with it.

Last edited:
Is there any way to turn off the white glowy effects that surround your character? I find it distracting. Other then that really enjoying the game so far.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I had completely forgotten about that fight and was prepared to lose all my souls as I wasn't prepared at all and with almost no healing items left. Walked in, remembered he was blind, and then slapped on my Thief Ring. I do like the more unique fights like this, but they should have done something more with it.
I wouldn't mind changes if FROM was working on the remake but as much as I like Bluepoint, they are much more of graphic engineers more than game designers.

Level 99 cap for every one of those stats yeah.

Wait. 99 per stat!! So my overall soul level can go to nearly 900 if I maxed everything? Oh my god I’m still a baby... I’m really enjoying being a knight and I fully expect I will play this game multiple times as different character types I’m absolutely loving it. Like I think it’s rocketing to the top of my fav games of all time list.

Tempted to re-roll over to a royal and see how the early game feels with magic. It will also be interesting to see what it’s like being able to dodge and not fat roll. I find parrying really hard with enemies doing all these weird head fakes and different moves. I suppose eventually you learn everyones upcoming moves so well that you're ready for each attack. I’ve figured out that you can usually walk basically straight towards enemies at a slight angle when locked on to get an easy back stab.

Do people usually use NG+ for different builds or does NG+ use your same character?

I can’t remember if we can have multiple saves... I’ll have to look into that.

Time for grinding some more skeletons all morning :D part of the reason I’m doing this is because I want to get some parry training and I’m deliberately dying in the opening room so I can collect my souls and re load faster than going back to nexus and back.
Prolly going to need to grind some herbs as well. I saw above 1-1 is recommended for that is that right? the red eyes guy at the top of the wall still one shots me.

oh yeah, without too much spoiling as a knight should I be eating the boss souls? Got all these other items that I haven’t used yet. I should try some stuff. I’m trying to avoid looking up answers and only just making comments on gaf thread for helps.

I find the weapon upgrade paths confusing like I made my long sword into a quality long sword and hope that wasn’t a mistake. I found a kilij which is totally awesome and I like the spear as well. I’m tempted to cheese the big three eyed demon in 4-1 by using arrows but I imagine it will take like 400 arrows.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Yeah each stat goes to 99 but don’t forget you’ll be needing half a million souls + at some point just to upgrade one point as it gets higher every time the number of souls needed.

Vtecomega

Banned
How do you guys rank this Demon Souls remake compared to the rest of the souls series? Do you think this remaster feels fresh enough to be on par with Dark souls 3?

Inviusx

3-3 boss is absolutely annoying. I can't believe I have to watch that cutscene every time :messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting:

I dont remember it being like that on PS3.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Damn I have two red skellys spawned outside the 4-2 boss fight they are absolutely tearing me up. I’m guessing they are there from world tendency? Lol way to make a hard game even harder

Calverz

How do you guys rank this Demon Souls remake compared to the rest of the souls series? Do you think this remaster feels fresh enough to be on par with Dark souls 3?
Early in but id say yes. At end of the day its still a souls game. Maybe not the best like but its still souls.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Wait. 99 per stat!! So my overall soul level can go to nearly 900 if I maxed everything? Oh my god I’m still a baby... I’m really enjoying being a knight and I fully expect I will play this game multiple times as different character types I’m absolutely loving it. Like I think it’s rocketing to the top of my fav games of all time list.

Tempted to re-roll over to a royal and see how the early game feels with magic. It will also be interesting to see what it’s like being able to dodge and not fat roll. I find parrying really hard with enemies doing all these weird head fakes and different moves. I suppose eventually you learn everyones upcoming moves so well that you're ready for each attack. I’ve figured out that you can usually walk basically straight towards enemies at a slight angle when locked on to get an easy back stab.

Do people usually use NG+ for different builds or does NG+ use your same character?

I can’t remember if we can have multiple saves... I’ll have to look into that.

Time for grinding some more skeletons all morning :D part of the reason I’m doing this is because I want to get some parry training and I’m deliberately dying in the opening room so I can collect my souls and re load faster than going back to nexus and back.
Prolly going to need to grind some herbs as well. I saw above 1-1 is recommended for that is that right? the red eyes guy at the top of the wall still one shots me.

oh yeah, without too much spoiling as a knight should I be eating the boss souls? Got all these other items that I haven’t used yet. I should try some stuff. I’m trying to avoid looking up answers and only just making comments on gaf thread for helps.

I find the weapon upgrade paths confusing like I made my long sword into a quality long sword and hope that wasn’t a mistake. I found a kilij which is totally awesome and I like the spear as well. I’m tempted to cheese the big three eyed demon in 4-1 by using arrows but I imagine it will take like 400 arrows.
Don't eat the boss souls! They are for weapons later!

Nymphae

Banned
I vastly prefer the performance mode, I never used to care much about frame rates but given the option I think I'll tend to prioritize that.

I was having a bit of trouble on the Spider and the run up to her. Felt like it wasn't registering all my button presses and felt super laggy. I thought I had a bum controller. I must have left it on cinematic after using photo mode and forgot. What a difference it makes. Got spider boss first try. Cinematic feels like playing at a real disadvantage.

Will playing the Dark Souls games starting with Dark Souls Remastered feel like a big downgrade? I plan on buying Sekiro after this.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I tried out cinematic mode and it looks really impressive. I'm normally a graphics over framerate person, but for this game I find myself going back to performance mode since it plays smoother.

cinematic mode was giving me a headache lol anyone else ?

Inviusx

Having made it to 4-1, Demons Souls is painfully easy compared to DS3. Demons Souls enemies are predictable, slow and generally don't attack in groups so if you're used to playing the Dark Souls series it feels like a cakewalk.

By the time From got around to DS3 they had gone too far up their ass with retarded enemies that jump around, rush you in groups and generally seem unfair at certain points. They had drank too much of the "lol this game is supposed to be hard" meme.

By comparison, Demons Souls is a blast to play and to explore.

Vtecomega

Banned
Having made it to 4-1, Demons Souls is painfully easy compared to DS3. Demons Souls enemies are predictable, slow and generally don't attack in groups so if you're used to playing the Dark Souls series it feels like a cakewalk.

By the time From got around to DS3 they had gone too far up their ass with retarded enemies that jump around, rush you in groups and generally seem unfair at certain points. They had drank too much of the "lol this game is supposed to be hard" meme.

By comparison, Demons Souls is a blast to play and to explore.

I completely agree with you. I adore most of dark souls 3 but the amount of trolley bullshit cheap enemies in that game took a toll on me and I deleted the game out of frustration lol

Top Bottom