• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Completely anecdotal, but the lad in Smyths just told me Demon's Souls has been by far and away the game's he's handed over to the most people today for click and collect.

This can't be true. Bluepoint changed a few designs so the game is ruined! There is no way people would still want to play a game which has improved on gameplay elements, animations, graphics and audio because a few designs have been changed. Thus we can conclude that the game has not been a success.

/s

FunkMiller

This gif (or similar) will get a lot of milage.

Same energy.

giphy.gif

FunkMiller

I really think for the first time in a Souls game I’m going to start with a magic build. The effects look so nice. Royalty class FTW?

Entroyp

What’s the best starter class for a newcomer to the Souls games? Can’t wait to play this in a couple of hours.

FunkMiller

It’s settled. Knight here I come!... thanks guys.

Put you Souls into Vit & End, and then either Str or Dex depending on your weapon. Weapons scale with different stats, so make sure you check what stat levels best with the weapon you like.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What’s the best starter class for a newcomer to the Souls games? Can’t wait to play this in a couple of hours.
Royal class or mage. They give a lightning bolt range attack to start off with and you can easily kill everyone from a distance with one hit. Lots of mana too that you can regenerate with items that also regenerate if you die.

The trick with souls games is that you have to find shortcuts tat lead you back to bonfires. It's perfectly fine to die as long you are exploring and finding shortcuts that let you skip most of the level. Always be looking for shortcuts. Don't be afraid to check out any places leading back to the bonfire because it's likely they put ashortcut there.

You keep all the items you pick up so explore without the fear of dying. You only lose souls but that's ok.

FunkMiller

Royal class or mage. They give a lightning bolt range attack to start off with and you can easily kill everyone from a distance with one hit. Lots of mana too that you can regenerate with items that also regenerate if you die.

The trick with souls games is that you have to find shortcuts tat lead you back to bonfires. It's perfectly fine to die as long you are exploring and finding shortcuts that let you skip most of the level. Always be looking for shortcuts. Don't be afraid to check out any places leading back to the bonfire because it's likely they put ashortcut there.

You keep all the items you pick up so explore without the fear of dying. You only lose souls but that's ok.

Shh. He’s new to Souls. Don‘t tell him about easy mode yet.

Jadsey

Never played a soulsborne game, so looking forward to this hugely! I have a question though... I've heard the "lore" and game mechanics are both pretty vague in the game - presumably by design. So the question is, for my first play through is going in blind better? Or should I do a bit of reading up on the lore/mechanics first?

People will say blind, but if you have never played a soulsborne game before, I would honestly go and at least read how to build a character.

Sure, if you had played any other souls game you would have the building blocks to go in blind, but you will have a miserable time otherwise.

Remember, when this game first came out it took thousands of people a few week swapping notes to understand this game.

Lore wise it doesn't matter if you go in blind or not.

I suggest a quality build so you have access to as many weapons as possible and learn what suits your playstyle.

Umbasa.

edbrat

If this is your first time playing DS you are very lucky, I would love to play this for the first time again. My advice to you is to do it blind, you'll thank me later.

If you're getting owned too hard royalty and crescent falchion is easy mode for the early bit of the game.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

If you go Royal, you're not going to be forced to learn the mechanics properly, which will be an impediment long-term.

Nakasan

People will say blind, but if you have never played a soulsborne game before, I would honestly go and at least read how to build a character.

Sure, if you had played any other souls game you would have the building blocks to go in blind, but you will have a miserable time otherwise.

Remember, when this game first came out it took thousands of people a few week swapping notes to understand this game.

Lore wise it doesn't matter if you go in blind or not.

I suggest a quality build so you have access to as many weapons as possible and learn what suits your playstyle.

Umbasa.

Hmm... That sounds fairly reasonable to me without spoiling anything. Thanks for that! I'll check out the different build types. Glad that I don't need to bone up on the lore. I like environmental story telling so I was hoping that would be the case.

regawdless

Banned
Love DS, am very glad that this remake was made and am happy that it's in the spotlight so much.

Though I kinda feel for the people who don't really follow the scene and are more "casual" gamers. Standing in the store, AC Valhalla in one hand, DS in the other. Picking DS because it's got cool cover art. Getting their asses kicked so hawrd.

Well, git gud I guess? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
If you go Royal, you're not going to be forced to learn the mechanics properly, which will be an impediment long-term.
oh definitely. But its the easy mode he asked for. ;p

I also think that melee classes get easier as you level up your stats and get better weapons. it will be much easier to learn those mechanics on NG+ or late game.

Ar¢tos

I would love to play blind... But I know everything. The location of every item and the placement and moveset of every enemy. :messenger_loudly_crying:

I need a memory wipe of everything souls related so I can experience them for the 1st time again.

Jadsey

Hmm... That sounds fairly reasonable to me without spoiling anything. Thanks for that! I'll check out the different build types. Glad that I don't need to bone up on the lore. I like environmental story telling so I was hoping that would be the case.

You'll love it then. I played PS3 Demon's Souls at least 4 times and I still haven't got a full grip on the story!

There is a lot to delve into and when you are ready I suggest VaatiVidya on youtube...the guy is a master explaining the lore of these games.

P.S Also Bonfireside Chat podcast if you want a loooong form breakdown of the game, area by area....those guys rock.

Last edited:

borborygmus

I would love to play blind... But I know everything. The location of every item and the placement and moveset of every enemy. :messenger_loudly_crying:

I need a memory wipe of everything souls related so I can experience them for the 1st time again.

Supposedly fractured mode provides that 1st time feel for veterans although I'm a bit skeptical.

JimiNutz

Banned

Thanks for this.
I'd been some recommendations on GAF to start with Royal but was leaning towards Knight or Temple Knight.

I'm assuming Knight is a pretty decent all around beginners starter class? Looks overall well balanced in terms of stats with decent strength.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Thanks for this.
I'd been some recommendations on GAF to start with Royal but was leaning towards Knight or Temple Knight.

I'm assuming Knight is a pretty decent all around beginners starter class? Looks overall well balanced in terms of stats with decent strength.
I went with Knight years ago during my first playthrough. It’s a solid class to start off with. Lots of strength and defense. It gives you a little wiggle room. However, I did have to use a wand/staff with low level magic at some parts, which actually made for a really good playthrough. It’s like a movie where the warrior who has to cast a magic spell at the very end to save everyone. Except this magic spell was used more than just a couple of times.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I was never able to beat the original one. Looking forward to playing this a lot of probably never being able to beat it either :messenger_grinning_smiling:

JimiNutz

Banned
I went with Knight years ago during my first playthrough. It’s a solid class to start off with. Lots of strength and defense. It gives you a little wiggle room. However, I did have to use a wand/staff with low level magic at some parts, which actually made for a really good playthrough. It’s like a movie where the warrior who has to cast a magic spell at the very end to save everyone. Except this magic spell was used more than just a couple of times.

Sounds good to me.
Do you know if there's a big difference playing with the Temple Knight?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Sounds good to me.
I would choose Temple Knight. That way you’ll have the advantage and you’ll be able to focus on magic if things get a bit out of hand. It’s a good balancing act. I believe it boils down to stats and how low each one is. Starting weapons are important, so pick the one you like the most. Magic has requirements and miracles will help you out in a jam.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I still think Royal is the best new-to-Souls class. You only spam magic until you get the Crescent Falchion in 4-1 and from then on you're still largely a melee build, just with a crazy good weapon that scales with magic.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
magic is easy mode don't forget. you get some magic arrows and farm mindflayers for magic juice.... you will be able to snipe most enemies from afar

-Arcadia-

Banned
The nice part about launch, but no console yet, is being able to watch all the streams.

This game looks unreal. I’ve never seen artistic expression and image quality like this before — it seems like most scenes you could screenshot, and it would look like literal concept art.

FrankWza

Completely anecdotal, but the lad in Smyths just told me Demon's Souls has been by far and away the game's he's handed over to the most people today for click and collect.

Monster attach rate. I got some lol emojis when I said the game would go out of stock before the holidays. I still think it, even with digital sales increasing.

SkylineRKR

I think I go Hunter this time. Axe and Bow, yeah. Putting stuff into that Dex.

Thanks for this.

Knight is rather tough if you keep the armor, its heavy. But if you work around that a bit its a very good class and you can always level up to get a basic spell. Or just go temple knight and get this right away.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Sounds good to me.

Temple knight gives you healing spell iirc. Knight means you'll have to run around with no pants or top for a bit to lose the armour weight. Demon's is a bit strange, you will need to pick a weapon first then build your build around that. Generally level up your stats to equip the weapon you like then put points into scaling on the base damage. Read these threads/things

Mess about with this

cormack12

Gold Member
I chose hunter as my class. I've never played a souls game before. So if you die you lose all your souls and restart? This is going to be painful lol. I beat the Phalanx guy then got mauled by a pack of dogs further up and lost all the souls. Am I missing something, or do I just need to progress more?

You have to kill Phalanx to level up iirc. Now you've killed it, you can level up when you have enough souls and either complete the level or fnd an archstone to go back to the nexus. You should have touched the archstone here and spoke to the lady in black to spend the souls

Last edited:
Top Bottom