• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

You have to kill Phalanx to level up iirc. Now you've killed it, you can level up when you have enough souls and either complete the level or fnd an archstone to go back to the nexus. You should have touched the archstone here and spoke to the lady in black to spend the souls
Yeah I touched the archstone, but I thought it was giving me the option of teleporting to the beginning. Bummer. Well I still have the Phalanx soul in my inventory.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Having just finished the original it's a shame this is a near 1:1 remake as most of the bosses are too easy and simplistic while the areas could also use some rework to be more fun and complex to explore with their bosses more spread out rather than right next to each other as the last two of each were. It's still a good and enjoyable game, I especially didn't mind the hub/levels structure as much as I thought I would compared to the later seamless worlds, but Dark Souls refined the formula. I can see how some of the stuff in that are just an improvement of things they tried in Demon's Souls (like the maneaters => gargoyles encounters) so if I had played that first they'd have had less impact but still it's much better done overall. An actual From Software remake could have improved all of the flaws to bring it on par with the later games that didn't suffer from the development hell of the original. Better bosses, better exploration, and maybe even alter the near useless world tendency stuff to rely on actual choices/discoveries you make organically rather than simply beating bosses vs dying/murdering etc. As it stands it's a 7/10 game reagardless of graphics/tech.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I’m stoked to play this one. My soulsborne history started with Bloodborne, then Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, and then Dark Souls 3.

I can’t wait to start this up today. Of course that is after my son and I play Spider-Man. What a great time to be alive!

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

I got about 6 hours in(Got my ps5 last night) and my god...The team at Bluepoint deserve all the praise for this thing man

Also for anyone wondering about going 30FPS Cinematic or 60fps...I REALLY don't notice to much of a visual difference to where sacrificing the 30fps is really worth it. With my eye I felt like I noticed things like textures and lighting being slightly better, but in the words of my wifes untrained eye "The other mode runs so smooth it looks like a cartoon or something...the slower one just kinda looks like the water is shinier" :messenger_tears_of_joy:

PS5 for the fucking win

Resenge

For those playing, how do you get the pre order weapon? Thomas has it?
Amazon emailed me the code for the Pre Order weapon yesterday. Normal PSN code.

Nvm I'm an idiot and didn't read your post correctly. My bad.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I chose hunter as my class. I've never played a souls game before. So if you die you lose all your souls and restart? This is going to be painful lol. I beat the Phalanx guy then got mauled by a pack of dogs further up and lost all the souls. Am I missing something, or do I just need to progress more?

Ah, the joy of being a new Souls player. God bless you.

Do enjoy Flamelurker, my friend.

Last edited:

GHG

Is it too late to get the pre-order weapon if I purchase the game from the UK PSN store (that's my primary PSN region even though I live overseas)?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Having just finished the original it's a shame this is a near 1:1 remake as most of the bosses are too easy and simplistic while the areas could also use some rework to be more fun and complex to explore with their bosses more spread out rather than right next to each other as the last two of each were. It's still a good and enjoyable game, I especially didn't mind the hub/levels structure as much as I thought I would compared to the later seamless worlds, but Dark Souls refined the formula. I can see how some of the stuff in that are just an improvement of things they tried in Demon's Souls (like the maneaters => gargoyles encounters) so if I had played that first they'd have had less impact but still it's much better done overall. An actual From Software remake could have improved all of the flaws to bring it on par with the later games that didn't suffer from the development hell of the original. Better bosses, better exploration, and maybe even alter the near useless world tendency stuff to rely on actual choices/discoveries you make organically rather than simply beating bosses vs dying/murdering etc. As it stands it's a 7/10 game reagardless of graphics/tech.

WT/CT adds a lot. Really do not know how you'd consider it "near useless".

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Just now lingering about the nexus and wow this is just a dream come true. Admittedly it is not a From game but that is ok, From has always excelled at level and enemy design while struggling with the more technical aspects of presentation, so having it in the hands of these most capable fucking wizards of remakes is guaranteed success. Blueprint can only add to the greatness that was From’s scaffolding.

It really is the ultimate dream, one of those “if you could have one developer make one game?” dream teams. And the whole package is just lovingly over polished and awesome. Really looking forward to spending some time in this gorgeous world wow next gen is really here!

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
This is amazing! I’m still tripping out over all the npcs mouthing along with their dialog and it looking...good!

The game seems like there is not a low res texture to be found. Masterful art design here.

From’s environments are usually pretty detailed as is (especially by DS3/BB) but Bluepoint did them justice and cranked the detail all the way up to 11. The game looks stunning.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wish I could join you all, but have no idea when I'll ever be able to buy a PS5. Enjoy the best game!

Those playing:

Are the graphics as HOLYSHITAMAZEBALLS in person as they look on the vids so far? Like is it clearly something you never could have seen on console before?

DavidGzz

Damn, anyone notice just small thinks like walking past arrows stuck in the ground and how they realistically break when your shin hits them? Very cool details. The physics are a nice visual bonus. I'm still in the tutorial marveling at the details.

Edit: Royalty really is easy mode. I forgot that you also get a ring that regenerates focus points(mana). Op op

It appears that dynamic hud is glitched. The player status just flashes on and off every couple seconds...

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the haptic feedback stuff is crazy lol. they want you to feel those dragon wings.

i took a moment to jump into each archstone. wow, the levels look great. i'm looking forward to Valley of Defilement. that area looked amazing! it was one of my favorite levels from the first game for atmosphere and it feels like they really captured the dankness of it all. all the wooden platforms covered in tons of moss and fungus and stuff. really well done, i can tell this area is going to be wild.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
So guys

I'm not a souls person

But I just picked Demons souls up. My ps5 arrives tomorrow. I'm gonna give this franchise a second (and third and fourth and fifth) shot

I hope it works out for you, but I'm not sure what makes you think the experience will be any different. Maybe the novelty of the enhanced visuals?

Last edited:

nordique

I hope it works out for you, but I'm not sure what makes you think the experience will be any different. Maybe the novelty of the enhanced visuals?

Thats what I'm hoping

Haven't given this franchise a go since the first dark souls in 2011 so I'm hoping a fresh coat of paint and time away is a pseudo reset button

A lot of the feedback in this thread also encouraged me to give it a go

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned
Damn, anyone notice just small thinks like walking past arrows stuck in the ground and how they realistically break when your shin hits them? Very cool details. The physics are a nice visual bonus. I'm still in the tutorial marveling at the details.

Edit: Royalty really is easy mode. I forgot that you also get a ring that regenerates focus points(mana). Op op

It appears that dynamic hud is glitched. The player status just flashes on and off every couple seconds...

You think that's insane. I just notice and NPC get covered in dirt and mud from an explosion that was directly behind him.

DavidGzz

Those playing:

Are the graphics as HOLYSHITAMAZEBALLS in person as they look on the vids so far? Like is it clearly something you never could have seen on console before?

Yes and no. I love the graphics but image quality isn't amazing. It has a certain haze to it. It might be since I just got done playing Gears 5 on XSX but that game is just so clean. I definitely prefer the way Demon's looks but you can tell it's 1440p for sure.

Not sure how anyone can stand 30 fps(cinematic mode). Maybe its my CX panel but it looks terrible in motion.

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned
So best looking videogame of all time?

In cinematic mode, yes without a doubt. Performance mode is a little too blurry and IQ takes a hit. Cinematic mode is significantly better looking to my eyes and the amount of details is absurd.

It's not just the visuals that make this the best looking game it's the visuals combined with the insane animation work and attention to detail that other games fail to match.

Vtecomega

Banned
Yes and no. I love the graphics but image quality isn't amazing. It has a certain haze to it. It might be since I just got done playing Gears 5 on XSX but that game is just so clean. I definitely prefer the way Demon's looks but you can tell it's 1440p for sure.

Not sure how anyone can stand 30 fps(cinematic mode). Maybe its my CX panel but it looks terrible in motion.

Did you try cinematic mode? Not sure why digital foundry was downplaying that mode as I find it far superior in terms of visuals.

OLED panels and 30hz content don't really mesh well. LCD with its slower response time covers that up well, but OLED being so fast makes 30hz gaming really stick out.

DavidGzz

OLED panels and 30hz content don't really mesh well. LCD with its slower response time covers that up well, but OLED being so fast makes 30hz gaming really stick out.

Thanks, I was wondering if I was becoming a framerate elitist but damn does it look bad in motion. Especially when turning the camera. Even 60 vs. 120 on Ori looked jittery.

2AdEPT

I did a small refresher with a where-to-go-and-when guide. Might as well share it, although this isn't really for beginners but more for fans who remembers a lot (and this helps a little).

This was awesome! Oneof the most memorable participants int he original soulsuckingly brillinat thread from 2009! I got my game but have to wait for tomorrow to get the console and then I will start making "how to videos" galore!! Going to start with How to Hyper mode...stacking not only clever and morion but ring of sharpness and whatever catalsyt does the same min/max (is that insanty? but gotta use something else until that stuff is acquired.) Edit: PLus the Monk headdress!!!! For those that played Dark Souls 3 and did hyper mode a lot of the stuff for hyper mode came right from Demons...was an awesone throwback nod.
Excellent OT! Wish I was snagging this but not in the position to go next gen quite yet. The legacy of this game on GAF is a strong one. The original's OT was so fun to make and participate in!
Another original pariticpant!! I remember your posts well!
I really think for the first time in a Souls game I’m going to start with a magic build. The effects look so nice. Royalty class FTW?
What’s the best starter class for a newcomer to the Souls games? Can’t wait to play this in a couple of hours.
Royalty is the only one that allows you to say screw it and do a soul level 1 run...no leveling LOL. Jokes aside, it is SL1 so that means as long as you intend to use the odd healing miracle or magic item here and there in addition to your smain weapon, you have the most flexibility to construct your character the way you want. I agree with evil lore, so dont rely on the soul arrow and falchion to go easy mode...try other cool looking weapons and try as early as possible to avoid turtling behind a shield...liberating yourself is so freedom giving!!!!

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Egads. Hard to play fidelity mode once you’ve played performance. I’m not even sure it runs at 30 FPS

I really cannot see a visual difference either. I took a picture with my Note 20 to see if it could show me what I'm missing. Still nothing.

Great Hair

Banned
This LP is funny af! No clue who he is, but he has a lot of problems with the playstation symbols ... 100% noob LP! and i randomly stumble upon it. He even uses alexa at one point ... lol

Ez game!

Top Bottom