• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Despite pledges, Nintendo still has few female managers in Japan

TLZ

Banned
That's why they're doing great!

Shigeru Miyamoto Thumbs Up GIF by Gaming GIFs

Banned
I mean, Nintendo is a Japanese company and Japan still has a very patriarchal society. It's hard for Japanese women to grow inside Japanese companies and it's also hard for them to come out in cases of sexual discrimination or abuse/harassment.
This shouldn't be celebrated.

the answer to that isn't to randomly promote women tho.

having an arbitrary minimum number of women only does 1 thing, create even more discrimination.

fighting discrimination with discrimination leads to resentment from people that get unfairly held back, which has the potential to make everything even worse.

X-Wing

having an arbitrary minimum number of women only does 1 thing, create even more discrimination.

fighting discrimination with discrimination leads to resentment from people that get unfairly held back, which has the potential to make everything even worse.

You didn't see me defending any of that though.

This is definitely not true. I couldn't care less what gender Nintendo's managers are, but I've had stone cold female bosses multiple times. There are plenty of doctors, lawyers, overflowing with agency like you can't imagine. If you want to keep it gaming related, just look at MS' lawyer in the FTC trial, or the judge.
Yeah and my neighbour has a dog with only three legs. Anecdotal evidence doesn't negate statistical facts. I wouldn't conclude that, because my neighbours dog has three legs, dogs with three legs are somehow normal or represent the majority of dogs. It doesn't invalidate the observation that a normal healthy dog has four legs.

shamoomoo

Yeah,that isn't how that works. The point is to balance out those who need the assistance but are help back by negative stereotypes or stuff out of their control.

Discrimination in of itself isn't the issue but how well it's implemented and enforced to correct problems.

X-Wing

I never understood why things need to be 50/50. Oh look, nurses are 90% female. We must fix this too, right?

And yet...

Banned
And yet...

what if they just work harder and do a better job? 🤷

Goalus

Are there many females available for management positions on the Japanese market?
If there aren't, they could look in the US.

Disney's former chief diversity officer or Victoria Alonso (a "gay latina" according to her own words, another former Disney executive) or Ms. Heinerscheid, former VP of marketing at Bud Light, should be available.

Last edited:
You didn't see me defending any of that though.
The point is that gaming is a hard business and that most people make better money elsewhere. And any time there is a job that is hard to do but under appreciated, it ended up being filled with men.

Managers might be desirable, but unless you start at the bottom and working up in Japan you don't get to be managers. So the issue isn't a lack of female managers but a lack of females willing to do the low level grunt jobs. And men fill these positions because men ether work or go to jail.

Smokken

Banned
Ah yes. Presents statistics that show men earn more than women, fails to mention WHY they earn more than women. This Marxist bs has been going on for decades and people STILL don't understand basic statistics.
There are plenty of reasons why men earn more, but I guess brainwashed journalists are too dumb to read between the lines.

More men than female managers. AND??? Is that a problem somehow? You don't see them complaining about too many male sewage workers, how strange. It's all based on envy, which is exactly what Marxism was all about back in the days. You'd think we learned from that mistake.

Just 4.2% of managers at Nintendo Company in Japan are women, a number unchanged since the company first reported that gender-based stat in 2021,

2021 is only 2 years ago... Am I missing some miraculous event that occurred in the past 2 years that caused a sudden influx of highly competent, highly experienced female workers into the hiring pool in Japan?

If anything, the opposite happened, as COVID lockdowns caused an increase in birth rates due to partners working from home; they either spent more time fucking or more time fighting and got divorced. So less competent women would be in the hiring pool, with many taking time off to raise kids.

shamoomoo

what if they just work harder and do a better job? 🤷
An excerpt from the article:

Researchers also assessed the time taken by men to attain higher pay bands compared to women. They found that men reached band 7 after six years, on average, compared to 10 years for women.

The underlying reasons for the gender pay gap and disparity of opportunity are complex and not fully understood,’ the authors concluded.

They added that underlying reasons for the gender pay gap might include part-time working, taking time out to have and bring up a child, and unconscious assumptions that women don’t want to or are unable to accept promotion due to caring for their families.

Hardensoul

Nintendo has one of the highest employee retention from what I recall reading about. Which means there’s not much opportunity for even current employees to move up? Much less new hires to even fill vacancies if any.

The only way for new hires male or female is when Nintendo expands or buy new companies. For as frugal as Nintendo has been we rarely see that happen.

UnNamed

Banned

If you know what is the "Law of large numbers", this guy with the stupidest nickname ever is right here, at least in the first paragraph.

There is mathematically no way that just 4% of women are good for the job in Nintendo. Don't want to say 50/50, but 4% in a big company like Nintendo is basically "not even try".

In the second paragraph he forgot to take the pills.

It’s their choice. Forcing diversity over qualifications isn’t accepted obviously in Japan. Good for them. Common sense does prevail still in some parts of the world.

So many people commenting “who cares?”

Clearly most people on this site do because any time the issue of race or gender or lgbtq, etc. comes up everyone rushes in to give their hot take and prove they aren’t “woke.”

Most of y’all are just resetera in reverse. And that’s fine if identity politics is something you enjoy debating, but don’t turn around and claim Gaf is just about games and RE is about identity politics. Since I’ve started using this site again the last few months, it’s a huge chunk of what I see discussed.

Disco Dave

If you know what is the "Law of large numbers", this guy with the stupidest nickname ever is right here, at least in the first paragraph.

There is mathematically no way that just 4% of women are good for the job in Nintendo. Don't want to say 50/50, but 4% in a big company like Nintendo is basically "not even try".

In the second paragraph he forgot to take the pills.
We don't know how Nintendo fill managment positions. Likely, they promote from within and fill the positions with people they trust or have proven themselves on various projects over many years.

Nintendo has built its reputation on quality and has very little alternative revenue streams beyond videogames. Yes, they licence IPs for movies and toys but their business would be negatively impacted if the quality of their games dropped. Games are their bread and butter. They have to carefully curate their talent - especially at management level.

I dont think its hyperbole to suggest that prioritising diversity quotas over qualified individuals would destroy Nintendo.

I also think that 4% is a meaningless number unless we know a bit more about Nintendos hiring process in general:
  • How many females join Nintendo at lower level positions and work their way up the ladder? Is it proportional to men?
  • Why do females have to go in at management level? Why not start at a lower position and work their way up?
  • How many women apply for the roles at both entry level and management level?
It's entirely possible that management positions were filled by the most competent applicants.

Historia

Banned
I mean, Nintendo is a Japanese company and Japan still has a very patriarchal society. It's hard for Japanese women to grow inside Japanese companies and it's also hard for them to come out in cases of sexual discrimination or abuse/harassment.
This is 21st century, Japan is not patriarchal or anything anymore.

1/3 of the members of upper Diet are women, just because some big Japanese corporation choose efficiency over "diversity quota" doesn't mean that it's patriarchal.

Last edited:
So many people commenting “who cares?”

Clearly most people on this site do because any time the issue of race or gender or lgbtq, etc. comes up everyone rushes in to give their hot take and prove they aren’t “woke.”

Most of y’all are just resetera in reverse. And that’s fine if identity politics is something you enjoy debating, but don’t turn around and claim Gaf is just about games and RE is about identity politics. Since I’ve started using this site again the last few months, it’s a huge chunk of what I see discussed.

Even though I see your point, the recent example being that SJW talk appearing in a recent thread of Martin Scorsese upcoming film which I found really funny and weird how this guy was calling the movie woke without seeing it. Not to mention this is Martin Scorsese, his films have no trace of wokeness not even in his recent releases

As for this Nintendo thing though, it's a bullshit complaint and people here are rightfully ripping that article apart for the shit it is.

Diversity quotas should never ever be a thing, it should be based off your qualifications. Not your gender, sexuality or race. That's all

Last edited:

Hudo

Wasn't the last Animal Crossing game, which turned out to be fucking huge for Nintendo, helmed by a woman?

Hardensoul

Wasn't the last Animal Crossing game, which turned out to be fucking huge for Nintendo, helmed by a woman?
Yup! but not enough.....

Isn't this high considering most game companies are dominated by Men?

"Yes, but: While Nintendo did not report a pay breakdown for the full company, including its subsidiaries in North America and Europe, it did recently calculate that 23.5% of its managers worldwide are women."

Tams

This is definitely not true. I couldn't care less what gender Nintendo's managers are, but I've had stone cold female bosses multiple times. There are plenty of doctors, lawyers, overflowing with agency like you can't imagine. If you want to keep it gaming related, just look at MS' lawyer in the FTC trial, or the judge.

What we've got here is simply your anecdotal experience versus theirs.

Tams

Yeah, but go for the places where there is clear discrimination, not where there might possibly be, but perhaps not.

You know, like that medical school they outright turned down pretty much any female candidates.

Plenty of low hanging fruit in Japan for that, but Nintendo ain't part of that.

xrnzaaas

It always makes me laugh when you see the journos complain and if you look at the management positions in THEIR company it's usually all-male or mostly male lineup. How about you start making changes at your own backyard? ;)

Historia

Banned
The irony is that the people complaining don't realize that you can make a LOT of money in plumbing, electrical, and construction.
I work as construction manager for 9 years, after I switch to another job I immediately got diagnosed with silicosis. :messenger_grinning_sweat: Unlucky me I guess. Glad that most women don't have to go through that.

Saber

Gold Member
Like most sentiment here I don't give a single fuck. I don't care the gender of the person or whatever, what I do care is if the say person is a profissional at their job.
We don't need this stupidity, the industry is lacking some serious profissional people.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I can't believe that a company known for releasing a series of games named after a woman but you play as a man, would have low female representation.

Likely Nintendo staff are lifers so it would take a while (retirements) before the balance can be looked at. Comparing two periods would likely be very similar for Japanese companies when they are that close.

Last edited:
Top Bottom