• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny rated "T" for "Teen" by the ESRB

Cbajd5

sales disaster confirmed

reasons cited being not mature enough for mature gamers who play mature games for mature people

That's what I assumed the rating would be after playing the alpha. Anyone know why the Halo games even rated M, Arkham City was much more gruesome than any of them.

Relly

Banned
So I guess penetration is the way to get an M rating now.

Blood sex violence and language just doesn't cut it

FHIZ

Not surprised, never really understood why Halo was always rated M... Was it just the purple blood?

Borman

Not surprised, never really understood why Halo was always rated M... Was it just the purple blood?

Funny enough, Microsoft sent these out before Halo's launch
i0q5bdF.jpg

IIRC, the Halo games were never that bad anyway. This seems like a mature "T" rating anyway. The maturity of the content is probably not that different from the stuff we see in Halo.

Orayn

I have quietly been hoping for this every since those first Destiny slides leaked. Makes me really happy.

Get lost, grimdark self-serious warfuckery. I'm gonna shoot some moon-wizards and go on knightly space adventures.

I always found it strange Halo was rated M, since it oftens seemed so far removed from reality. Bungie's nexting ending up T doesn't shock me.

I wonder if it'll impact sales, though. The game's design doesn't seem to court younger players, so this may detract more than it adds. (given that's really a force for some people)

Mr.Mike

Yeah the contract for Destiny made it clear they were targeting this, though weren't mandated to hit it.

Is this really such a big deal that it would be written into a contract? I can't imagine an M rating would have any significant effect on sales.

braves01

Banned
Damn I was really hoping for a mature shooter. As an adult, kiddie shooters just don't do it for me any more.

Edit: /s

kewlmyc

Makes sense. Nothing overly violent or gruesome to get a M rating.

So the Halo series was just like Destiny and wasn't overly violent or contained bad language to get a M rating?? I'm pissed that I never got to play it now growing up.

Marjar

Banned
When I think about it, it does seem weird that Halo has always been M despite never really being that violent or sexual. Maybe the Flood pushed it to that rating?

i've always had this theory that microsoft asked the ESRB for an M rating to make the series seem more mature but of course i have no proof.

Bungie had said the ESRB took one look at the Flood and said it was too gruesome for a T-rating. I can sort of see it, but it still seems pretty high.

Orayn

When I think about it, it does seem weird that Halo has always been M despite never really being that violent or sexual. Maybe the Flood pushed it to that rating?

Not sure, but it was a very soft M regardless. Destiny aiming for T and being less explicit still sealed the deal.

Top Bottom