• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destroy All Humans

VALIS

Seems to have come out a few days early from its previously announced June 21 launch date. So who has it? I've ordered it by mail since I have some coupons I wanted to use and won't be getting it until Wednesday. Can't wait, looks like a lot of fun!

4913655.jpeg
4913654.jpeg

Use destructive weapons and innate mental powers to take on the most feared emery in the galaxy - Mankind!

Play as Crypto, an alien warrior went to Earth to clear the way for the Furon invasion force. Your mission is to infiltrate humanity, control them, harvest their brain stems and ultimately destroy them. You choose the method infiltration or disintegration.

Play from the Alien perspective and finally know what it feels like to have the upper hand.

Arm yourself with a variety of alien weaponry on land or in the air. Use the Ion Detonator, the Brain-Exploder, the Zap-O-Matic, the Sonic Boom, or even the Quantum Deconstructor to eradicate feeble humans.

Strike fear in mankind with you mere presence, or use your arsenal of alien abilities to manipulate humans into submission: hypnotize, body-snatch, read minds, levitate and more!!

Abduct animals, cars, and humans for research, or cause large-scale destruction.

Packed with familiar and popular sci-fi references.

Gamerz-Edge - 8.5/10
Game Informer - 8/10
Play Magazine - 8/10

920589_20050610_screen001.jpg

920589_20050610_screen004.jpg

920589_20050513_screen005.jpg

920590_20050405_screen004.jpg

920590_20050405_screen012.jpg

And if that's not enticing enough (are you insane?), it comes with a free copy of the greatest bad movie of all time in specialty stores (EB, Gamestop, Gamerush, etc)!

6305760403.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

And if you're still not excited, you should know that you can blow up cows in this game. 'Nuff said.

type9

I meant to ask this when the Edge review was posted but does anyone know why it got a 6/10 review? Does anyone know what they gave Mercenaries for comparison.

dskillzhtown said:
Time for some trade-ins to get this one.

FYI, Gamerush (Blockbuster) has a deal through Sept. 5th (or around there) where you can get new releases and pre-orders for $29.99 if you trade in 2 used games.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
aparisi2274 said:
I dont know how good the game will be, but the commericals are fucking hysterical.

they are funny as hell. "I am having an affair with the neighbor.....hood"
Classic stuff

aparisi2274

dskillzhtown said:
they are funny as hell. "I am having an affair with the neighbor.....hood"
Classic stuff

"I guess this is a good time to tell you that Johnny is not your son." Cut to a black kid on the floor with a fro, and his 2 white suburb parents.

I love it.

The neighborhood one is classic.

Ranger X

I tried the demo and it's well done. Very well done but i feel we go through all the gameplay potential of the game in the demo already. I really wonder who they will attrack me more than a couple of hours playing this game. I hope it's good.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
heavy liquid said:
FYI, Gamerush (Blockbuster) has a deal through Sept. 5th (or around there) where you can get new releases and pre-orders for $29.99 if you trade in 2 used games.

fyi, that deal dies today. their cutting it early.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Does anyone know how big the world is? I had a lot of fun with the demo but I could see it getting old if the entire game takes place in the same small rural area.

WindyMan

Last I checked, the game has the entire movie of Teenage Zombies from Outer Space on the game disc. They wanted to put Plan 9 on the disc as well, but they ran out of room, which is why they're putting together this bonus deal. I believe the game still has a sort clip of Plan 9 on the disc with whatever room they had left to fill out.

Both movies are horrible, but in the awesome kind of way.

No, I take that back, they're both just horrible.

sammy

I'm havin' fun with the game (a good 5 hours in) ---- at first it's not that fun, but once you start upgrading things get interesting.

The later weapons are outstanding : D --- totaly old school vaporizing of cavilians.

It isn't a huge open world, but large sand-box levels ---- they're large though.
so far there are 3 full locations to go to.

Edit: you can invert your camera in the options.

demi

The only things I see in the options/control menu are "Camera Turn" and "Camera Pitch", both of which can be either Normal/Inverted.

Appears you have to unlock the movie, as there is a "B-Movie Archive" and some things are locked.

VALIS

Xbox Advance - 8.5
Final Verdict
Summer time is usually a time of year wherein video games are entirely devoid, new releases being removed from the face of the Earth. Summer 2005 for the Xbox is a complete and total exception thus far. We've seen some bad, and we've seen some good, and it looks like Destroy All Humans! will be the diamond in the rough during the days of baseball and barbecues. Destroy All Humans! is the epitome of an AAA title: good graphics, some fantastic sound, an enjoyable story, an utterly hilarious script and the gameplay to back it all up. If your a fan of freeform gameplay, science fiction, have a sick sense of humor or just want to enjoy one of the best games released this year, you'd do well to buy . You certainly won't be disappointed. Now if you'll excuse me, there is still a lot of probing to be done, and it's not going to get finished itself.

This review makes it sound great. Demi, etc., how's it going?

VALIS

New reviews

IGN - 7.0 (Warning! Sulic alert!)
Destroy All Humans is a very basic box of good and bad free-roaming shooting. It features all the underdeveloped and totally unessential components of other notable and forgettable open world action games, yet it also boasts terrific personality, a great premise and some generally solid action.

Team Xbox - 8.5
You’ll have a tough time finding a title with more comedic camp value than Destroy All Humans!, unless they come out with a Batman: The 60’s TV series game. Much of the value in this title comes from the way in which Pandemic weaved a story which precisely mocks 50’s style science fiction and paranoia stemming from the entire Roswell hullabaloo. There are few funnier games than Destroy All Humans! and few with a better, non-dramatic plot, so if you like your games thick with cut-scenes and heavy on personality, then look no further than THQ’s and Pandemic’s latest third-person foray.

Xbox World Australia - 87%
I can't think of any reason not to recommend Destroy All Humans! to anyone who enjoys a good console action game. It may not be the deepest gaming experience, and much of the game’s objectives are exactly the same (although placed in differing contexts) but it is also the most fun I’ve had on my Xbox in a very, very long time.

Destroy All Humans! is a game that is engaging and grossly entertaining every step of the way thanks a damn good idea and great execution to back it up.

+ great sense of humour
+ large areas in which to unleash your alien fury
+ decent mission variety
+ destroy all humans! Need I say more?!

- missions and optional challenges are repetitive
– some graphical pop-ins
– you may bust your gut from laughing

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I think I am going to wait for a price drop or a sale. Doesn't seem like it is earth-shattering or anything.

I hope Pandemic is working on Full Spectrum Warrior 2.

stewy

Thanks for mentioning the Plan 9 dealie in the thread. If I hadn't known about it the EB jackasses never would have offered the information when I grabbed the game today. Always wanted a copy of that movie :)

I have been enjoying this game more then any game in the last three months or so. The humor is great, it controls well, and it just has this really great vibe to it. I thought I would grow bored with it but it has kept my attention.

Gek54

30 min into it and I am bored and tired of the weak controls. If only they got the voice of Invader zim.

Gek54 said:
If only they got the voice of Invader zim.

They did - he does the voice of Pox, your almighty leader. It's sometimes worth slacking off mid-mission or leaving the game on the Mothership screen just to have him scream his familiar brand of overly wordy silliness at you. :)

Argh, this game suddenly hit a wall of difficulty. Either that or I'm doing something wrong. I'm on the mission where you have to save your clone or whatever, and god damn, what the hell. Enemies EVERYWHERE. Anyone know how to shut down the laser grid?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
dskillzhtown said:
I hope Pandemic is working on Full Spectrum Warrior 2.

they are. it was at e3, but i didnt really check it out.

Mike Works said:
Argh, this game suddenly hit a wall of difficulty. Either that or I'm doing something wrong. I'm on the mission where you have to save your clone or whatever, and god damn, what the hell. Enemies EVERYWHERE. Anyone know how to shut down the laser grid?
Run around the back of the building. There's a couple scientists there you can hypnotize to shut it down.

This mission is indeed where it becomes all bitchy and stuff.

Haha god fucking DAMNIT. I scanned the scientists, didn't think to hypnotize them. Anyway, I initially destroyed all the energy/power converters, but that didn't seem to do much. So I walked up to the laser grid and shot the switch and that worked. Destroyed the interior, final goal of the mission was to get back to the UFO. I make my way back, killing agents, robots, tanks, long fucking mission, long HARD fucking mission, make it back to the UFO, press A, put the controller down.

"Clear the area around your UFO of enemies"

WHAT

Tank shot.

Solider walks up and kicks me when I'm down until I'm dead.

I-

mosaic

go eat paint
Played through it yesterday. Damn this game is short. Haven't found all the DNA probes and such yet, though. Very repetitive. Very simplistic. Some hard-ass missions later on. (Tip: Hypnotize and use the "distraction" command, then use the holobob and hide. The alert level drops by leaps when agents are distracted.) Definitely fun to re-visit certain areas. Definitely fun if you're into aimlessly blowing stuff up and anally probing people. Cows+Disintegrator=Fun. Can't believe they didn't allow players to use the holobob to mimic a cow. Imagine a cow just wandering around a city street.

All told, this is a $20 or $30 game masquerading as a $50 game. As a $50 game, it's a cruel joke. As a $20 game, it'd be a lot of bang for the buck. Glad I rented first. I'll buy it in 3 months (or less) when it inevitably hits $20.

Kobun Heat said:
Run around the back of the building. There's a couple scientists there you can hypnotize to shut it down.

This mission is indeed where it becomes all bitchy and stuff.

Yeah, I've noticied that and it would be less bitchy if there was some sort of midlevel checkpoint or something. As well, even though I am greatly enjoying the voice over work what is up with Crypto's Nicholson like delivery?

Top Bottom