• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destruction AllStars (PS5) is potentially going Free-to-Play

nikos

It was free on PS+ at launch. F2P could be good to get more people on the game.

This was my most anticipated launch window PS5 game and I only ended up playing it a couple of times. I should give it another shot.

CheeseCake

This game had potential but I knew it was gonna die off real fast.

I played it for a bit when I had my PS5. the driving was good, the physics were good too and the characters were really cool.
However, it felt like it lacked "something".

It also had no music.... it was just the sound effects of cars bumping into each other.

Would be awesome if we could add our own music to the game. But I doubt this is gonna happen.

In fact, this game will fade into oblivion the moment the new Twisted Metal is announced and comes out.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Took them long enough,too bad theres only one character design I like
2f6.gif

anthony2690

Banned
I thought it already was free to play?
I downloaded it for free the month it came out and it took nearly TWENTY minutes to find a game.
& Then it was so bad I quit mid game and uninstalled.

This was the same guys that made PGR and it makes me sad.

When they formed Lucid they said they were hoping to grow back as big as when they were Bizarre and "get back to the levels of innovation and creativity at Bizarre that made Activision so keen to acquire it". Well they're sitting at 150+ people so they're bigger than they were when PGR released and this is the game they make...

giphy.gif

ElCasual

This was the same guys that made PGR and it makes me sad.

When they formed Lucid they said they were hoping to grow back as big as when they were Bizarre and "get back to the levels of innovation and creativity at Bizarre that made Activision so keen to acquire it". Well they're sitting at 150+ people so they're bigger than they were when PGR released and this is the game they make...

giphy.gif
WHAAAATTT? THEY MAKE PROJECT GOTHAM RACING????
I am shocked.

wipeout364

I often wonder why Sony didn’t just give them the twisted metal license since it’s exclusive anyway.

Their art department seems terrible, I took one look at the character designs and wondered who they thought would be interested in this. Absolute trash art, similar to how bleeding edge looked so bad except it’s worse because as bad as bleeding edge was at least it had some passion in it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The game looked uninspired and cheap. Not surprised it didnt see success even with a free PS+ giveaway.

Shouldve focused a bit more on graphics and made Motrorstorm instead.

Tbh the game isn't bad. i was actually into it...but exactly because it was free with PS Plus.

The way they wanted to release this multiplayer game for 80€ on a new piece of hardware is something i'll never understand.

SJRB

Gold Member
This game has plenty neat ideas but man is it underwhelming when playing.

The carnage just isn't here, it's too soft.

Hugare

Should have been F2P from the start.
Exactly

Multiplayer only $70 dollars game? Ridiculous

I knew this was going to bomb since Day One

Same shit with Battlefield.

Launching a full priced multiplayer only game nowadays is just insane.

I haadn't tried the game ( hate the artstyle, anyway) but wasn't its biggest problem that it's so starved of content that most player would not find any Reading ti play It more than a couple of hours? I don't think being made FTP Is going to ivastly mprove its situation, of that's the case...

Last edited:

SSfox

Won't touch this even for free, the characters design is just too aweful and trash, it's like the devs tried hard to get the crown of the most aweful character design of all time.

arvfab

Banned
Exactly

Multiplayer only $70 dollars game? Ridiculous

I knew this was going to bomb since Day One

Same shit with Battlefield.

Launching a full priced multiplayer only game nowadays is just insane.

I would agree, but in this case it was included with PS+ at launch and reduced to 20€/$ (bundled with some in-game stuff) the moment it left PS+.

Last edited:

Hugare

I would agree, but in this case it was included with PS+ at launch and reduced to 20€/$ (bundled with some in-game stuff) the moment it left PS+.
No one was able to buy a PS5 at launch, and even at $20 it wouldnt be a good idea

So many awesome F2P games on the market: Warzone, Fortnite, Apex, Rocket League ...

tmlDan

Much better port to PC & XBOX. Worst Sony PS5 exclusive game ever.
but its not even bad, it was essentially unfinished with no content but the core gameplay is fun.

It just had no incentive to keep playing and you need that for an online game.

Tripolygon

Banned
As it should have been from the start. Nothing wrong in them charging money for it but it seemed like one of those games that would thrive with F2P model.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Wouldn't surprise me. Got it as the free game and played a bit of it, it was fine but didn't have much lasting appeal to me. F2P could juice the MP numbers at least.

iHaunter

Still not worth it. Was a below average 4/10 for me.

Edit: Game was fine, just no content. But content is the most important part.

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
Going free to play and making balance changes won't prevent this game's faith.

The problem with this game is its CORE gameplay.

arvfab

Banned
No one was able to buy a PS5 at launch, and even at $20 it wouldnt be a good idea

So many awesome F2P games on the market: Warzone, Fortnite, Apex, Rocket League ...

1) It wasn't released at launch
2) PS5 games can be added to the library via the PS App, you don't necessarily need a PS5 to do that
3) Rocket League wasn't free at launch. In fact, it released on PS+ only to be sold for 20€/$ afterwards... Exactly like this one.
4) You get in-game currency in value of 20$/€ if you buy Destruction All-Stars.

PS: I'm not denying the fact that it should have been F2P from the beginning.

Top Bottom