• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Battlefield Title Could Have The 'Most Realistic Destruction Effects' In The Industry

battlefield-5.jpg

It’s no big secret that one of the most disappointing factors of Battlefield 2042 was its stark lack of destruction effects.

Battlefield was always synonymous with destructibility, with players being able to bring down entire buildings with tanks, helicopters, and explosive weapons.

In Battlefield 4, there was an entire game-changing mechanic called ‘Levolution’ that saw maps altered midway through play as a result of huge, destructive changes.
Thanks to a job listing that has surfaced from Ripple Effect, a studio working on the next Battlefield game, it seems that destructibility is making an epic return.

In the recent Ripple Effect job listing for a VFX Director in Canada, it’s stressed that the team is looking for a ‘Senior 3D Artist’ to create ‘the most realistic and exciting destruction effects in the industry.’ It was then highlighted that a key part of the role will be to ‘create optimised and hyper-realistic in-game VFX.’
That’s a bold mission, especially with the recent release of games like The Finals, which is a shooter that has been created by ex-Battlefield developers to boast what is – at the moment – unparalleled destructive capabilities.

Regardless of the competition, it could be a dramatic return to form for Battlefield, a franchise that has long been slipping further down the charts.

They need to get back to player caused destruction and get away from that set piece stuff. Bad Company 2 was the most fun I've ever had with a BF game and you could destroy almost everything. Yeah they weren't in cities with sky scrapers but that was fine with me.

Yeah hope they go with more player caused, physics based destruction. Taking out buildings in the finals is so much fun cause of this.

RIP The Finals if they get it right though lol

Moses85

Next Halo could be the best FPS ever
GTA VI could be the best GTA ever
and so on.

EA my friends is 💀
Except from the DS Remake all their last games were garbage

Wont matter if it’s an online only shitshow like 2042 is. Get back to making a proper story driven BF and watch the series prosper again. A sequel to BF4 or 3 would be a good start imo. These companies are so blinded by their obsession with forced online only crap that they have forgotten how to make good games anymore. I wouldn’t hold my breath for this upcoming BF.

Kikorin

Sadly most devs don't understand what makes destruction satisfying. Is not watch a scripted huge building break down or an earthquake take down a city in same manner every time, is seeing things get shattered piece by piece as the fight goes on and watch the mess the battle caused after some time.

Same for gore effects, is not fun if a single pistol shot make an arm or leg fly off or a bomb leave a puddle of blood, is watch the effect you caused with every bullet.

Random Madness on YouTube is the GOAT at explaining how these things have to be done to be satisfying, devs need to hire that guy as a consultant to improve their games.

Kerotan

2042 was a failed battle royale venture they tried turning into a battlefield game. An absolute shit show. A new Battlefield next gen only launching in 2027 on ps5 would be good. Last chance for the series.

MiguelItUp

We'll see. I'd love to see it. I just want Battlefield back and to feel like a continuation of the IP I've known and loved since 1942. I know 2042 has apparently "improved" a great deal, but that whole game was such a mess.

Last edited:
We are taking the contents of job listings as accurate announcement of features now? They'd probably get a lot of applications if they wrote "we're looking for someone doing what we alread did in BF4 but a little bigger"

REDRZA MWS

nearly everything destructible in the environment was Battlefields claim to fame, along with great squad based to teamwork to help your total squad to win. More tactical.

The series has t been the same since BF4. I’m really hoping for a comeback because it was unique.

Kupfer

Battlefield was always synonymous with destructibility, with players being able to bring down entire buildings with tanks, helicopters, and explosive weapons.
Yeah ... Except for Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Vietnam, Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142.

But if you were born in 2000, write for a website now and didn't even play this franchise when it became a name, then yes, Battlefield was always synonymous with destructibility, with players being able to bring down entire buildings with tanks, helicopters, and explosive weapons.

No Way Reaction GIF by Originals

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

I mean, if the PS3 could manage destruction, relatively simply, why can't these consoles? PS3 bf always had a supporting wall that couldn't be destroyed, but everything else did, and then replaced by a after collapse animation, covered by smoke etc.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Yeah ... Except for Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Vietnam, Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142.

But if you were born in 2000, write for a website now and didn't even play this franchise when it became a name, then yes, Battlefield was always synonymous with destructibility, with players being able to bring down entire buildings with tanks, helicopters, and explosive weapons.

No Way Reaction GIF by Originals
BF2 was their last hardcore game before turning the franchise into a mainstream shooter that it is today.

EA wanted to compete with cod. They even exceed it at times but for me. BF ONE was the last good game from them

Tomi

Every new game is somewhat better, they need to say that to make you think: " oh my god this game is awesome, i need to buy it"

But we know with what devil we have to deal here!
Remember - NO PREORDERS!

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
This would get me onboard.

You see indie games like Teardown and Noita blow up because playing with cohesive physics is simply FUN. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom blew up in large part because playing with cohesive physics is simply FUN.

A Western AAA game dev whose pasts efforts have bombed and is looking to fill a niche in their space would be wise to incorporate cohesive physics. Why? They're simply FUN, and they can point to those other efforts as examples in the market.

BlueLyria

Do you guys remember the leaks pre 2042? That one clip with the building toppling and the face expression test? How we were told that 2042 would have the biggest destruction engine before any real marketing started?

Yeah, don't expect anything of the new BF

Shut0wen

I think no destruction in 2042 was the least of its problem, id rather better map layouts then bringing back destruction

Shut0wen

2042 has destruction though. Since launch.

Lacking compared to many of the previous titles, but still there.
Yeah i know just destruction in the game isnt the be all of bf, best battlefield will always be the 2, destruction is a nice edition but it doesnt make bf any worst for not having it

Killjoy-NL

Whenever you have to boast about your own game like this it means it will be shit.
It's not exactly boasting, but a goal they set. For a job listing.

Anyway, hope they go back to something like BF4. Everything after that was underwhelming.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Yeah i know just destruction in the game isnt the be all of bf, best battlefield will always be the 2, destruction is a nice edition but it doesnt make bf any worst for not having it

Yep, to this day BF2 is still the peak of the series. Destruction has plenty of downsides, it certainly looks cool and can be fun to engage with but there will always be trade-offs. My concern with this focus on "industry-leading" destruction is that it might come at the expense of the actually important pillars of Battlefield: well-designed maps, well-designed classes, good Conquest mechanics, and thoughtful implementation of vehicles.

Top Bottom