• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeVos, Sessions expected to be confirmed in tight votes

Status
Not open for further replies.
While this group of nominees are Trump's better ones (sans Tillerson) Feinstein voting in favor of all but one is a joke. If she decides to run for reelection next year she should absolutely have a primary opponent - Eric Garcetti most likely.

Feinstein most likely isn't running in 2018. Also Garcetti wouldn't primary her -- also you can't really primary someone in CA because of the jungle primary.

He is choosing not to be a selfish POS who brings a child into a corrupt and collapsing human civilization who will only live a life of misery. Resisting those biological impulses should be applauded. Climate change, corruption and capitalism have doomed global human society.

Anyone having having kids right now after taking a realistic look at the course humanity is on is incredibly selfish. Its not about letting them win, its about sparing a kid years of suffering that they have no control over.

but if your view of the future is that devoid of hope, how do you do... anything? "we've already fucked up and all future humans are doomed to an existence that is fundamentally sufferring?" how is the next step from there anything other than drug-addled hedonism or suicide?

I like how you left out the bottom half of that image, showing how fucking whipped the Republicans are:

And that's just what would fit on my screen

You call that "whipped", I call that effective party unity.

If you prefer losing politely to winning, please get out of politics.

Feinstein most likely isn't running in 2018. Also Garcetti wouldn't primary her -- also you can't really primary someone in CA because of the jungle primary.

Interesting, did some reading on the 2018 election in California and it seems like some crazy things are possible. A lot of Democrats are going to be campaigning against each other to run for governor and Feinstein's senate seat. If there are too many people running a Republican or worse 2 Republicans could be the last ones standing. Seems like the odds of a complete screw up by California Dems are too high.

studyguy

Ah well, a future nation of strippers and truck drivers it is, then.

Till we automate drivers and sex robots finally come to fruition. Whew lads.

lucy-liu-futurama.jpg

fuck the spineless republicans

This attack for "spinelessness" is completely ridiculous. The Republicans Won. The Republicans exercise power.

Your standard for what it means to be spineless is unorthodox.

Via google: "lacking resolution; weak and purposeless."

I'm repulsed by the policies president Trump has pursued, but it would be totally inaccurate to call them spineless.

Meowster

This attack for "spinelessness" is completely ridiculous. The Republicans Won. The Republicans exercise power.

I'm repulsed by the policies president Trump has pursued, but it would be totally inaccurate to call them spineless.
Is morally depraved the better term?

So you think McCain and other Republicans honestly believe that DeVos is the most qualified for the job? Because I can't believe that, and not voting for what you believe in is spineless.

The Republican party campaigned on standing up to this exact type of corruption, but when push comes to shove, they only put up a token resistance.

I think it's more than fair to call that behavior spineless.

He is choosing not to be a selfish POS who brings a child into a corrupt and collapsing human civilization who will only live a life of misery. Resisting those biological impulses should be applauded. Climate change, corruption and capitalism have doomed global human society.

Anyone having having kids right now after taking a realistic look at the course humanity is on is incredibly selfish. Its not about letting them win, its about sparing a kid years of suffering that they have no control over.

This is a terribly defeatist attitude to take, and I'm saying this as an incredibly progressive person. 4 or 8 years of set backs are not the end of the world. We will get through this. The long arc of justice will prevail because you can't eliminate the truth of reality, you can only temporarily obscure it.

The Republican party campaigned on standing up to this exact type of corruption, but when push comes to shove, they only put up a token resistance.

I think it's more than fair to call that behavior spineless.

You'd have to be a fool to believe it. The GOP is the party of unambiguous support for corporate power. The DNC is the party of ambiguous support for corporate power. The GOP is consistently more effective in their goals.

WoolyNinja

Education has been terrible for a long time, no matter who has been in charge the last 20 years. This might keep that streak alive but can't really make things much worse.

Education has been terrible for a long time, no matter who has been in charge the last 20 years. This might keep that streak alive but can't really make things much worse.

That's like saying we've slowly been contributing to climate change since the industrial revolution, so we might as well start dumping our garbage directly into the ocean and rivers

Which is exactly what Republicans are voting to do, so yeah I guess fuck it yolo

WoolyNinja

That's exactly like saying we've slowly been contributing to climate change since the industrial revolution, so we might as well start dumping our garbage directly into the ocean

No, it's like saying the climate is screwed up already and dumping more garbage into the environment won't necessarily make it worse but definitely doesn't make it better either.

Escargo

I'm looking at US politics from the outside but it feels like Democrats really want to better the country while Republicans are only want to better themselves.

Hopefully I'm wrong about this. Only have been reading news from gaf.

I'm sure when he said "the spineless Republicans" he was talking about the ones like McCain who knew this was a bad choice but didn't put a vote in.

mackattk

I'm looking at US politics from the outside but it feels like Democrats really want to better the country while Republicans are only want to better themselves.

Nope, that is pretty spot on.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

That is pretty much it.

Anything and everything that is healthy for the nation and the world(environment, education, humane and civil freedoms, etc...) the Republicans have fought against and do everything in their power to ensure those decisions to improve lives is actually a threat. (Just to ensure money is flowing into their pockets and interests rather than the greater good. That is what really drives their ire above all else)

I'm sure when he said "the spineless Republicans" he was talking about the ones like McCain who knew this was a bad choice but didn't put a vote in.

As far as I can tell, this is a total fabrication and projection on the part of Liberals. The idea that McCain is an "honorable man" and not a right-wing asshole is a total media construction. But at least in my cursory digging, I don't see any firm statements of opposition from McCain. Furthermore, McCain has taken money from the Devos family. So again, I don't understand where the "spineless" accusation is coming from. I don't even see any inconsistency, frankly. You just WANT to think he'd oppose her, and proceed from there.

Holmes

If Feinstein retires we need us another woman from the Bay Area. No SoCal in the Senate please.

mackattk

This is definitely going to happen:

The loss of funds for traditional public schools makes teaching less attractive, and existing teachers leave the field in droves. Enrollment in teacher preparation programs plummets; these programs are unable to provide a sufficient supply of replacement teachers for local school districts, even as fewer teachers are needed.
The unregulated charter and private school sectors hire individuals with no formal preparation or commitment to teaching, and these schools function as revolving doors. Lacking a stable teaching force, even those private and charter schools aspiring to help their teachers develop professionally are stymied

I saw it with even state colleges with online classes, where the "teacher" does nothing more than just administer entirely automated tests, notes, and homework.

I always have one point: We need a new Working Class party to fight the right.

The Democrats don't have what it takes. They prove it every time.

The working class isn't the only group in the democratic party. They also need to fight for the rights of women, people of color and the LGBTQ to name a few. Those are just as important as any "working class' subsection of the party.

sangreal

As far as I can tell, this is a total fabrication and projection on the part of Liberals. The idea that McCain is an "honorable man" and not a right-wing asshole is a total media construction. But at least in my cursory digging, I don't see any firm statements of opposition from McCain. Furthermore, McCain has taken money from the Devos family. So again, I don't understand where the "spineless" accusation is coming from. I don't even see any inconsistency, frankly. You just WANT to think he'd oppose her, and proceed from there.

You're right about McCain. You're even right that most Republicans are thrilled at what DeVos is offering. People call them spineless because not a single one was willing to go against the party. It's unlikely that they all thought DeVos was qualified -- even the moderate ones (which does not include McCain). Shit, even Collins and Murkowski who ostensibly opposed DeVos could have stopped her at any time in committee but didn't. This is entirely due to party politics and the power of the majority leader (and his willingness to use it). That's what makes them spineless. Democrats have never had this issue, for better or worse. You don't need to go back further than the ACA to see this. It was pulled to the right by Senate Democrats who refused to go along with party leadership and faced no consequences. At a time when Democrats had 60 senators.

The working class isn't the only group in the democratic party. They also need to fight for the rights of women, people of color and the LGBTQ to name a few. Those are just as important as any "working class' subsection of the party.

The vast majority of women, people of color, and queer people are working class. They sell their labor time to a capitalist and are subject to class-based exploitation in addition to intersectional oppression. Both of which must be fought. Neither of which are fought by the Democratic party.

Probably not the most popular subreddit in the world here, but even The_Donald seems to hate DeVos.

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald...ratulations_to_betsy_devos_our_new_education/

Guy posts a thread talking about how he's so proud that she won, and most of the comments are Trump voters who think she's terrible.

That's not to say there aren't plenty of dumb comments that will probably piss everyone here off too. Just thought it interesting, it's the first time I've ever seen people on that subreddit not 100% get behind his action.

I like how you left out the bottom half of that image, showing how fucking whipped the Republicans are:

gsrUGKc.png

And that's just what would fit on my screen

Just 20 more years and 2/3rds of them should be dead
from the riots and mass shootings after global warming sinks both coasts and wrecks havoc across the world

Well, you got me there. In the future, I will try and do my own research rather than recite statements I hear from liberal-dominant discussion without any sort of back up.

I wonder if people on the left will ever learn to put zero faith in McCain. His reputation as a lone wolf might as well be as old as his military service. He's a lockstep Republican now who will gladly snap his own spine for Russia afar and white nationals at home. Trash.

McCain endorsed Trump even after Trump says he didn't like people who got captured. Everyone knows McCain is a classic career politician. He only cares about himself and getting reelected.

Jobbs

Banned
Frankly, that is the senate by design, not some accident of the system like the gerrymandered house

And it's a terrible design. If you care about guns and trucks and bibles and live in wyoming with a few hundred other people your interests are represented many many times more than someone living in CA with 39 million other people

Not sure why that's fair

platakul

Banned
This is a myth that charter school proponents advocate to destroy public education, and Pearson advocates to sell testing.

Pub Ed works. Failing schools need money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom