• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Republican senators announce opposition to Education Nominee DeVos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think a single Dem is voting for her.

Cory Booker posted that it looks like 50-50 right now, with Mike Pence casting the deciding vote if it stays like that.

If you can get through, more power to you. I called all 8 of his offices Monday and couldn't get through at all and all his voicemail boxes were full.

Yeah, mailbox full. Hopefully, it's because he is already being bombarded for Trump cabinet confirmation opposition.

Murray: "I take that as not being willing to commit to not privatizing public schools or cutting money from education."

DeVos: "I guess I wouldn't characterize it in that way."

Murray: "Well," she said, laughing, "okay."

Well that's an interesting response.

br3wnor

Wouldn't be suprised if they drafted it like this where the 2 more moderate R's can vote no but Pence can come in and get her confirmed anyway.

Really sucks.

For the love of humanity, and well being of our country... Republicans of GAF, PLEASE contact your senators and ask them to reject Devos.

Edit:
I don't think a single Dem is voting for her.

Cory Booker posted that it looks like 50-50 right now, with Mike Pence casting the deciding vote if it stays like that.

F***. We still need one more Republican senator. GAF Republicans. PLEASE HELP!

I already called Sen. Johnson. Don't have much hope on him, but I did call. My son has autism and I was appalled that DeVos didn't seem to know about federal obligations for disabled students.

Ganhyun

For the love of humanity, and well being of our country... Republicans of GAF, PLEASE contact your senators and ask them to reject Devos.

Edit:

F***. We still need one more Republican senator. GAF Republicans. PLEASE HELP!

With as much shit as anyone who is labeled as Republican or conservative in general gets here, you think this will make them want to help?

(I already called mine, not that they are likely to change their votes)

Been trying to get in touch with Lankford and Inhofe all day, but no luck. Full mailboxes and busy signals. A shame cause I did get in touch with Lankford's office in regard to the immigration ban. I'll keep trying.

With as much shit as anyone who is labeled as Republican or conservative in general gets here, you think this will make them want to help?

(I already called mine, not that they are likely to change their votes)

I wouldn't expect Republicans to call for NeoGAF. I'd hope they'd call for the sake of the education system and children in the United States.

TI82

Banned
Sent an email to my senator (one of the Republican ones) thanking them for pledging to not vote for Devos :)

Called McCain and Flake's offices, left voicemails. Nobody has ever answered McCain's phone and his inbox is frequently full, but I've spoken to a staffer at Flake's D.C. office several times. Will try again in a little bit.

Polari

Err, doesn't pretty much every pick go against the "drain the swamp" thing so far? I assume you haven't liked any of them? Though admittedly this one is particularly bad like you said since she is unqualified.

I think Mattis, Tillerson, Chao, Kelly, Haley are decent picks. They're not necessarily who I would pick but they're accomplished people.

There's a bunch of others like Perry, Sessions, Price who are pretty standard nominations in the sense that they've got a background of public service even if I don't agree with their ideology or think they're the most competent people for the roles.

Then people like Pruitt, Carson and DeVos who are inexplicable.

NandoGip

She's going to make it in. I have no hope for us in the short term. Fucked up things are going to continue happening for the entire year.

I'm sure the senate republicans already colluded, throwing a few bones to a couple of moderates. Wish the dems had that kind of commitment, but instead we got Bernie out here shit-talking the assumed DNC chair already.

UberTag

Wouldn't be suprised if they drafted it like this where the 2 more moderate R's can vote no but Pence can come in and get her confirmed anyway.

Really sucks.
This is my line of thinking. This was organized to help prop up Republicans with soft-support in predominantly blue-purple states so they can go to moderates in their predominantly liberal communities in the next election and say they voted against DeVos... while STILL ensuring the Republic party line to confirm her is respected.

Makonero

Be sure to see if they have other non-D.C. offices. Most Senators should have more than one office.

Feinstein, for example, has four state offices.

Both of the local offices have busy phone lines, which is good news I guess. Hopefully this all moves the needle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom