• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two Republican senators announce opposition to Education Nominee DeVos

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_nby89mmso31r72ht7o1_500.gif
Do you want the timeline with Merged Trump and Bannon? They put the earrings on and fuse spinning conjoined at the penis.

Collins is scared for her seat. There have been widespread protests against her in Portland because of her claims of being a moderate-Republican over the past few weeks in Maine.

Zoator

Both of these senators are on the education committee, and both of them voted yes there before committing to voting no in the Senate floor vote. If just one of them voted no in committee, the nomination would be dead.

Why do I doubt that every Dem will vote against Devos.

Like, Tillerson got through with 56-43...meaning about 4 dems broke the line. I expect the same to happen for devos.

Crayons

Banned
Gee, the exact number of Senators needed to make it a 50-50 vote and let Pence break the tie. Wow, there's just no way this is planned out behind closed doors and this is all public posturing by these Senators to save face for their constituents. Nope, definitely not.

this

this is all theatrics.

JohnsonUT

Collins is scared for her seat. There have been widespread protests against her in Portland because of her claims of being a moderate-Republican over the past few weeks in Maine.

She probably got assurances from the other 50 republicans that she could safely vote no in this case.

What about the Independents?

One is Bernie, so obviously he'll be voting No. Pretty sure Angus King will also be voting no. If Joe Manchin is voting no like he has said, every Democrat will be.

It's 50-50 right now with Pence having the tie-breaking vote. Only more Republican needs to defect, but I suspect DeVos might withdraw before the vote actually happens if this becomes clear

Vengal

We're in a 50-50 tie right now. One more defection and she's dead and not even Pence can save her.

^^
I am wearing tin foil hats almost everyday watching all this shit go down. I imagine these two republican senators also have the least to lose or the most to gain by breaking ranks too.

RPGCrazied

Both of these senators are on the education committee, and both of them voted yes there before committing to voting no in the Senate floor vote. If just one of them voted no in committee, the nomination would be dead.

Yeah, whats up with that?

Why do I doubt that every Dem will vote against Devos.

Like, Tillerson got through with 56-43...meaning about 4 dems broke the line. I expect the same to happen for devos.

Tillerson's confirmation hearing went very well. He was not out of sync with Donald Trump's stated desire for a better relationship with Russia, but he was clear that improved relations shouldn't come at any price.

DeVos's hearing was an absolute embarrassment. Tillerson convinced Dems, DeVos just scared away Republicans.

It's funny to think how crazy it seems that a tiny few Republicans may actually care more about country than party. A small glimmer of hope that there is a tiny bit of accountability for Trump.

Hmm ok, I just checked and Collins was re-elected in 2014. Her next election will be 2020, but there are rumors she is going to run to replace LePage for governor in 2018.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Some of me feels that her being a woman is part of why she's more vulnerable than some of the other wildly unqualified candidates.

JohnsonUT

One sign of optimism for the cynics is that Murkowski just won reelection in 2016. She is safe for six more years, which is a lifetime in the Senate. She would have been fine voting yes. Collins is not up for reelection for another four years. If these were just token no votes, there are other Senators that need to worry about 2018. So, there is a sliver of hope these are real, actual no votes.

CALL YOUR (REPUBLICAN) SENATORS.

Mine aren't talking calls, and they're Bob Corker (who I'm fairly sure doesn't really give a shit about anything) and Lamar Alexander (who is pushing for this woman so hard that I almost have to believe she's eating out his asshole or something). So yeah, but good luck to all those trying.

Nerazar

Some of me feels that her being a woman is part of why she's more vulnerable than some of the other wildly unqualified candidates.

I think her gender plays a miniscule role next to her non-existant qualifications and dangerous negligence of the position's responsibilities.

But you're probably right, if that was Duke McDudeson (R) from some red state, there would be no dissent.

I think her gender plays a miniscule role next to her non-existant qualifications and dangerous negligence of the position's responsibilities.

But you're probably right, if that was Duke McDudeson (R) from some red state, there would be no dissent.

I mean, Trump is president... Rick Perry will be Secretary of Energy... Ben Carson will be Secretary of HUD...

Oh, I know. But by that token Rick Perry has to get knocked down too, and I haven't heard the same rumblings about him. He literally doesn't know what Energy does, he still wanted to get rid of it, and he wants to run it.

rick perry also has a history of long leal service to the republican party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom