• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Because the only thing that *actually is* objective in a video game review is the technical performance. If there’s frame rate drops and inconsistency, it needs to be called out. And yes, PS5 looks like the best platform at the moment, but Series X and PC are disappointing.

You will find no bigger Souls fanboy than me. As I said, it will probably be my game of the generation. Just annoys me how little attention certain journalists pay to the most important aspect of a game.
I havent read all the reviews, but we heard about these issues yesterday in reviews. They didnt make a big deal out of them because they game wasnt unplayable.

It might be now after the patch though. ACG talks about it in his Patch 1.2 video.

GHG

Can't you read? PC has stutters that consoles don't, that's why vrr is more effective on Xbox, just read what you're quoting dude

Nah you try reading how they always frame it for Xbox vs how it's talked about for PC then come back to me.

Already been brought up earlier in the topic but they're talking about frametime spike issues on PC, not drops.

It's being brought up separately because along with the PC version not supporting higher than 60hz, it also suffers from the frame time spikes the console versions don't.

VRR can generally help better with drops, not with spikes, even though GSync does alleviate the issue somewhat.

In short, From's engine sucks.

Well the console versions can't go above 60fps either. I'm fully aware of how VRR behaves when dealing with big drops, it's not perfect, but it's better than without. I even had to explain this to the resident VRR evangelicals but got laughed at:

No its fucking not. Framerate drops are still framerate drops but the impact of those are reduced due to the fact that you won't get any screen tearing or sharp drops/stutters due to the way that vsync works when enabled (you disable it when using a fresync/gsync display).

If your framerate is bouncing around between 20fps and 80fps you will still see it. It just won't be as bad as if that is happening on a conventional monitor. It's not a silver bullet.

For the record, there have been console games that have exhibited stutter on Xbox this generation and they have largely been brushed off due to VRR (control for example). My stance on this has always been clear - VRR should be a last resort, a last line of defence when all other options have been exhausted when attempting to get stable performance, not something to be leaned on and used to excuse poorly performing games.

Last edited:

cireza

Will wait for Xbox Omega so that BC makes the game run properly, like Series X did for Sekiro. Great job From.

Tygeezy

I bet no modder will be able to fix shader compilation stutters.

also modding might get you banned from the online mode as they said they will look into security more
I'm guessing the shader compilation stutters don't exist on ps5 and series x due to direct storage from the ssd's?

FrankWza

Why? The game runs at 55-60 fps on the PS5. The other games on metacritic run at sub 30 fps like Zelda BOTW and GTAV, and 30 fps like RDR2. Of the top five 96+ games on Metacritic, only Mario Odyssey runs at 60 fps.

Just because it isnt locked at 60 fps, doesnt mean the performance is bad or the game is unplayable. DF has made everyone lose their minds. An unlocked 60 fps mode that drops frames every now and then will feel a lot smoother than 30 fps locked. Always.
And, this game is the most “online” of the From souls style games so far. I’d like to see this test run offline. Like I said earlier, the night sessions were the sluggish ones on PS5 running the PS5 version during the NT.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Playing on ps5 performance mode. It looks good but the frame pacing is reallly bad. Bb felt better at 30 than this at… 55.
Shame the quality mode is at least not 30 fps locked or something.

Performance mode looks good resolution wise though

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Yep, I tried fidelity mode on my CX and could vomit. Why does 30fps looks so bad on that TV? Lol. Anyway, it's perfect on performance mode. VRR is so good.

Xdrive05

My specs should be good enough to max this at 1080p60 on a G-SYNC monitor, but they need to get the freezes solved before I give them money. G-SYNC solves frame pacing issues, but seconds-long freezes is a legit problem.

What exactly is the team doing over there?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
For the record, there have been console games that have exhibited stutter on Xbox this generation and they have largely been brushed off due to VRR (control for example). My stance on this has always been clear - VRR should be a last resort, a last line of defence when all other options have been exhausted when attempting to get stable performance, not something to be leaned on and used to excuse poorly performing games.
Ariana Grande Singing GIF by The Voice

Stuart360

PC have some freeze right now… 1-3s freezes.
Even on RTX 9900.
It seems to be memory leak related, and happens after like 2 or 3 hours of play. A restart of the game fixes the problem.

Still PC is the only version that runs at 60fps, and looks way smoother than the juddery console versions. Having to restart the game every few hours is annoying, but i'd take that over judder city to be honest.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm playing it right now and it's the only game I've been playing, since it came out and I'm enjoying it.

Can you please share what you might be WONDERING about?

I don't spend my money to come up with nonexistent issues to complain about, if that's what you're worried about.

I didn't say the game was flawless. But you make it seem as if it was bad idea to make Horizon 2 a cross-gen game, since it's having so many performance issues. I'm questioning on two things.....

- Are the performance issues really THAT bad that it needs to be used as an example of a game that's super unstable?

- What would the solution be? To make sure that it's not cross-gen? Do you think if it was only available on the PS5 it would have been flawless?

ethomaz

Banned
You mean when you move the camera fast enough? You probably picking up on that OLED stutter. A side effect from the fast response time.
You guys are making me regret my CX purchase.
I already thing the TV is not good for 1080p games like my PLASMA was.

But now I have HDR so I’m not too sad.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
It seems to be memory leak related, and happens after like 2 or 3 hours of play. A restart of the game fixes the problem.

Still PC is the only version that runs at 60fps, and looks way smoother than the juddery console versions. Having to restart the game every few hours is annoying, but i'd take that over judder city to be honest.
The PC version has studders and hitches that neither of the console versions have to deal with. The frame rate is bad on both consoles but better on PS5, Xbox series systems frame rate can be made to look better if you have a magic Tv.

Last edited:

sendit

Why? The game runs at 55-60 fps on the PS5. The other games on metacritic run at sub 30 fps like Zelda BOTW and GTAV, and 30 fps like RDR2. Of the top five 96+ games on Metacritic, only Mario Odyssey runs at 60 fps.

Agreed. DF is out of touch here. The native PS5 version will provide a better overall experience.

Riky

$MSFT

My stance is clearer, consumers have no choice when it comes to performance on console, they get what developers give them, poor performance has been a thing for decades, you only have to go back to early DF videos to see this.
Luckily consumers now have the power to fix this and it's idiotic to deny it's advantages. Not only does it fix poor performance like Valhalla at launch, Control was fixed by the way regardless, but now has the advantage of offering increased framerates and responsiveness in the likes of Dying Light 2, getting up to 120fps is so sweet.
It will become a standard feature in time and everyone will realise its benefits.

Outlier

Can confirm for ME that the issues GREW after the patch. Far beyond any cache rebuilds or stuff like that would account for.
More stutter. FPS might have been leveled out a bit(average a bit higher) but shadow errors were there still as well as popin and worse stutter.
Its rare a patch makes it worse but for me this one did. I wish I would have known it was coming. I was told that we had the day one. Then I heard rumors there was some other percolating.
Addendum placed on my review as well as video posted on results
I watched your update vid and thank you.

I said in another thread a couple weeks ago that I'd wait for this game to get a few patches, before playing.
Well I decided to pre-purchase on steam anyway and have it downloaded, but think I'll revert to my original plan.

With Horizon FW keeping me busy, there isn't a good reason to start ER up on steam, if it's in this poor of a state.
Thankfully I have 30 days to refund.

DavidGzz

You mean when you move the camera fast enough? You probably picking up on that OLED stutter. A side effect from the fast response time.

Yeah, it's terrible and looked just as bad when I tried Demon's Souls Remake in fidelity mode. I hope 60 fps is here to stay on current gen consoles lol

Ulysses 31

You guys are making me regret my CX purchase.
I already thing the TV is not good for 1080p games like my PLASMA was.

But now I have HDR so I’m not too sad.
You can always try to play outside game mode with motion pro(low de-judder levels) to reduce the stutter.

I think the input lag outside of game mode is still good enough on OLEDs.

Last edited:

Stuart360

The PC version has studders and hitches that neither of the console versions have to deal with. The frame rate is bad on both consoles but better on PS5, Xbox series systems frame rate can be made to look better if you have a magic Tv.
I have watched about 8 or 9 hours on PC, from 2 different streamers. The game is very smooth apart from the 1-3 second freezes that happen after 2-3 hours. Any PC user getting stutters and frame drops on top of those freezes must be playing on weaker hardware.

Gamerguy84

I understand framerate. 30 is very playable and you get used to it but I'd rather 60 any day. I'm not sensitive to the other stuff and couldn't care less.

I won't be buying it for a while though so any technical patches will be taken care of. I'm busy with HFW and then GT for a while.

Nickolaidas

Fuck! I have stutter issues due to bad optimization.

Will probably play a couple of hours just to scratch the itch, and then I'll wait for more patchezisation.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I have watched about 8 or 9 hours on PC, from 2 different streamers. The game is very smooth apart from the 1-3 second freezes that happen after 2-3 hours. Any PC user getting stutters and frame drops on top of those freezes must be playing on weaker hardware.
Check for the NEW patch that dropped today that’s what makes it worse. Anyone playing on the day one patch gets the experience you’re talking about. They dropped a 1.02.1 patch … it fucks up the pc version.

3080ti
2080ti
1080ti

All tested.

Last edited:

GHG

The odd system RAM requirements were a red flag from the start. The fact that the game stutters the first time it displays a new asset/animation would point towards them compiling shaders on the fly (similar to what a lot of emulators do) rather than at runtime.

They need to fix this shit.

ethomaz

Banned
Check for the NEW patch that dropped today that’s what makes it worse. Anyone playing on the day one patch gets the experience you’re talking about. They dropped a 1.02.1 patch … it fucks up the pc version.

3080ti
2080ti
1080ti

All tested.
A patch that makes things worst?
Time to make popcorn.

scydrex

I understand framerate. 30 is very playable and you get used to it but I'd rather 60 any day. I'm not sensitive to the other stuff and couldn't care less.

I won't be buying it for a while though so any technical patches will be taken care of. I'm busy with HFW and then GT for a while.

I played GOW in PS4 pro in 60fps mode and it run worse than the Elden Ring PS5 performance mode. I tried the 30fps and preferred the 40-50fps mode. So i think i will be ok with the Ps5 performance but I have my X900h with VRR and i would have used it here...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You know the more I read the impressions, the more I also start wondering just how this game got reviewed this high and minimal reviews brought up technical deficiencies or docked points for it. They all played before the day 1 patch as well.

Stuart360

You know the more I read the impressions, the more I also start wondering just how this game got reviewed this high and minimal reviews brought up technical deficiencies or docked points for it. They all played before the day 1 patch as well.
Cyberpunk got more than its fair share of 9's and 10's too, Cyberpunk.

Although they were reviewing the PC version to be fair.

ethomaz

Banned
Because reviewers believes performance issues will be fixed in day one patch.
That is what publishers do... the same happened with Cyberpunk and others.

GHG

My stance is clearer, consumers have no choice when it comes to performance on console, they get what developers give them, poor performance has been a thing for decades, you only have to go back to early DF videos to see this.
Luckily consumers now have the power to fix this and it's idiotic to deny it's advantages. Not only does it fix poor performance like Valhalla at launch, Control was fixed by the way regardless, but now has the advantage of offering increased framerates and responsiveness in the likes of Dying Light 2, getting up to 120fps is so sweet.
It will become a standard feature in time and everyone will realise its benefits.

Firstly nobody asked you. Secondly your stance is irrelevant since you'll always select the same version of multiplatform games regardless of performance.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Websites have SoulsBorne reviewers now. Those people have adjusted to FROM games running like this, so they are giving it a pass.

SlimySnake

The odd system RAM requirements were a red flag from the start. The fact that the game stutters the first time it displays a new asset/animation would point towards them compiling shaders on the fly (similar to what a lot of emulators do) rather than at runtime.

They need to fix this shit.
As much as i dislike the GOW port, the fact that they basically have the GPU VRAM do everything is kind of a stroke of genius. The game was designed on a unified ram system so porting it to a split ram architecture might have caused issues like this. i can see why older last gen games didnt do this because there were very few 5GB+ cards when last gen consoles came out but the recommended specs here are already asking for 6GB cards anyway.

GHG

As much as i dislike the GOW port, the fact that they basically have the GPU VRAM do everything is kind of a stroke of genius. The game was designed on a unified ram system so porting it to a split ram architecture might have caused issues like this. i can see why older last gen games didnt do this because there were very few 5GB+ cards when last gen consoles came out but the recommended specs here are already asking for 6GB cards anyway.

Yep apparently Elden Ring is hogging system RAM on PC and barely utilising VRAM. It's completely illogical and I don't understand why they thought it would work out ok.

I don't know why people expecting flawless gaming at launch day.

After one Year, you can play it without problems, including all additional content.

Just wait

SlimySnake

I don't know why people expecting flawless gaming at launch day.

After one Year, you can play it without problems, including all additional content.

Just wait
After that awful 2021, we are all starved for great once in a generation games. wouldve been easier if 2021 wasnt so underwhelming.

I played Dark Souls and Sekiro a few months after launch and I agree that they were a much better/smoother experience.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Oof.

First time I'm hearing about no ultrawide support.

I just assumed it would be in since it's 2022. Damn shame.

Could be worse. Comfy couch gaming it is I guess!

SlimySnake

Yep apparently Elden Ring is hogging system RAM on PC and barely utilising VRAM. It's completely illogical and I don't understand why they thought it would work out ok.
It's unacceptable tbh. This is how PCs have worked since GPUs started to ship with VRAM. When was that? 20 years ago?

This just shows that PS5 was the lead platform for this game and they did a quick and dirty port to other consoles and PC.

Top Bottom